End of dragon pre order start when?

I'd say the earliest we can hope to have information anywhere near that is July 27 - that's when ArenaNet is doing the "EOD First Look" that is supposed to have a "tidal wave of information".

That's not to say that you should expect to find out the release date or when we can start pre ordering during that reveal....I'm more saying I feel like we definitely won't know before then at the earliest.

• Like 2

"On July 27, join us for a livestream event with a tidal wave of information about the third Guild Wars 2 expansion, including features, an introduction to the story, a new trailer video, and elite specialization beta event information. "

I assume after that live stream we'll be able to or at the very least know when we'll be able to.

I agree that the earliest they'd do it is on the day of the announcement. At the moment we barely know anything about it and I think very few people would be willing to pay for it without knowing what they're getting. I also don't think it would be a good idea for Anet to try to sell it without giving more info, even if people would pay - it would make it look like they have something to hide.

But I won't be surprised if they do the same as with PoF where it's up for pre-purchase immediately after the announcement and that will run all the way to release.

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

This game is nowhere close to the state where one could preorder an expansion blindly without hearing any info about it first - and we're still a month and a half away from any kinds of deeper reveals. Well, at least i hope we're going to get some more solid info then.

Can't say I agree with this (not that this should surprise you). I'm relatively sure more than 50% of the 350 or so people in my guild will preorder, probably in the first day, because we're still having fun with the game.  YMMV obviously, but for me, it's an instabuy, as soon as it goes on preorder.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Can't say I agree with this (not that this should surprise you). I'm relatively sure more than 50% of the 350 or so people in my guild will preorder, probably in the first day, because we're still having fun with the game.  YMMV obviously, but for me, it's an instabuy, as soon as it goes on preorder.  

I'd go the other way - I don't think I'd preorder any game without knowing what I'm actually getting.

I think it's highly likely I will pre-purchase EoD. I pre-purchased the base game and the ultimate editions of both HoT and PoF and I'm still enjoying the game. I'm not expecting it to be a massive departure from what we've gotten so far, so I think it's likely I will enjoy the story and exploring the maps, will hopefully find some of the elite specs interesting (assume we get elite specs, I'm not sure even that has been confirmed yet) and some of the new features may be interesting. But I still want that confirmed (as much as possible) before I pay for it. I want to know there will be a new story and new maps and a bit about what those look like, if there will be new elite specs and what those are, what new features there will be etc. and what it all costs.

I might well pre-purchase it as soon as they offer the option, but I expect that to be after we're told what we'd be paying for. If they put it up on the shop today I wouldn't do it and I'd wonder why they wanted us to pay before seeing it.

37 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

It's fine for you to feel that way, but are you so sure that noone of those that will preorder end up getting disappointed? Did you feel as sure about preordering HoT? Did all those players you mentioned left your guild and the game in the wake of that expansion feel as sure of preordering then?

It's one thing making that decision for yourself. I will likely preorder as well, btw. When talking to others however i would still advise caution, and not buying blindly. Because i am sure that at least some that will preorder blindly will be regretting it later.

Edit: also, personally i think that preorders in general are a bad practice (especially blind ones) and not something to be promoted.

Edited by Astralporing.1957

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd go the other way - I don't think I'd preorder any game without knowing what I'm actually getting.

I think it's highly likely I will pre-purchase EoD. I pre-purchased the base game and the ultimate editions of both HoT and PoF and I'm still enjoying the game. I'm not expecting it to be a massive departure from what we've gotten so far, so I think it's likely I will enjoy the story and exploring the maps, will hopefully find some of the elite specs interesting (assume we get elite specs, I'm not sure even that has been confirmed yet) and some of the new features may be interesting. But I still want that confirmed (as much as possible) before I pay for it. I want to know there will be a new story and new maps and a bit about what those look like, if there will be new elite specs and what those are, what new features there will be etc. and what it all costs.

I might well pre-purchase it as soon as they offer the option, but I expect that to be after we're told what we'd be paying for. If they put it up on the shop today I wouldn't do it and I'd wonder why they wanted us to pay before seeing it.

Elite Specializations have been confirmed.

Here:  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-live-summer-2021/

and here:  Confirmed by Robert Gee, Twitch.tv

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's fine for you to feel that way, but are you so sure that noone of those that will preorder end up getting disappointed? Did you feel as sure about preordering HoT? Did all those players you mentioned left your guild and the game in the wake of that expansion feel as sure of preordering then?

It's one thing making that decision for yourself. I will likely preorder as well, btw. When talking to others however i would still advise caution, and not buying blindly. Because i am sure that at least some that will preorder blindly will be regretting it later.

Edit: also, personally i think that preorders in general are a bad practice (especially blind ones) and not something to be promoted.

I had people in my guild who preordered HoT and were disappointed.  Sure that can happen. Doesn't change the fact that the shape the game is in varies on what you personally find fun.  I'm having a lot of fun.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I had people in my guild who preordered HoT and were disappointed.  Sure that can happen. Doesn't change the fact that the shape the game is in varies on what you personally find fun.  I'm having a lot of fun.

Again, like i said, there's a difference about what you personally think and decide for yourself, and giving a general advice to others. When i am talking to others, i would definitely advise them against buying anything blindly (nor do the GW2 current situation gives me enough confidence to vaive that precaution in case of EoD). This is completely separate from what i'll decide for myself.

Also, i from what i remember you mention on some threads before, all those people you knew that left due to HoT also had a lot of fun before that. And i bet they did not expected themselves leaving (or they would not have preordered).

Edited by Astralporing.1957

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Again, like i said, there's a difference about what you personally think and decide for yourself, and giving a general advice to others. When i am talking to others, i would definitely advise them against buying anything blindly (nor do the GW2 current situation gives me enough confidence to vaive that precaution in case of EoD). This is completely separate from what i'll decide for myself.

Also, i from what i remember you mention on some threads before, all those people you knew that left due to HoT also had a lot of fun before that. And i bet they did not expected themselves leaving (or they would not have preordered).

And quite a few of those people came back. Obviously how you spend your money is a personal decision. That's not my disagreement with what you said. This was your quote:

"This game is nowhere close to the state where one could preorder an expansion blindly without hearing any info about it first"

This I disagree with. I don't think the game is in a bad state at all.  It's okay that you do. But the state of the game is not a fact, it's your opinion. I think the game is in a state where I could preorder an expansion blindly.

Preordering is obviously a choice. It's a balancing process between what extras you get vs how disappointed you might be.  That's an equation each person obviously has to decide for themselves.  For me, it's fine and I'm preordering. No one is telling you to preorder.  But the state of the game comment, that's the opinion of some people and not the opinion of others.

• Thanks 1

Why would you pre-order?  Pay for what you get, not what you think you will get.

Games are worse today because of preorders, early access, kickstarters, etc.  The whole practice of pre-ordering a game enables lazy game design.

Personally I'd never buy a pre-order because 1) it isn't any cheaper and 2) it does nothing for game quality or features.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

This game is nowhere close to the state where one could preorder an expansion blindly without hearing any info about it first - and we're still a month and a half away from any kinds of deeper reveals. Well, at least i hope we're going to get some more solid info then.

Any game is nowhere close to that. Preordering anything blindly is just stupidity.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Any game is nowhere close to that. Preordering anything blindly is just stupidity.

Fair point. Athough it can be a little different with MMORPG expansions (and DLCs to already bought games) than it is with single/first release cases. But, in order for it to really be different, you need to have certain level of assurance about the quality of said expansions/DLCs. Which brings me to my original point - GW2 is not in such situation at this moment.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, MokahTGS.7850 said:

Why would you pre-order?  Pay for what you get, not what you think you will get.

Games are worse today because of preorders, early access, kickstarters, etc.  The whole practice of pre-ordering a game enables lazy game design.

Personally I'd never buy a pre-order because 1) it isn't any cheaper and 2) it does nothing for game quality or features.

You get a free character slot for pre-ordering.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1