We NEED race change! [Merged]

Just now, Mortifera.6138 said:

People were being defensive about not having mounts in the past, you're doing the same with race change now.

No, I'm not doing the same and what someone said about something else in the past is irrelevant to this thread and my post. Absolutely nothing about mounts changes my mind about the lack of need for the race change. If there's anything that I'm missing, then feel free to be more specific, otherwise it's a pretty weak attempt at a strawman argument.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, I'm not doing the same and what someone said about something else in the past is irrelevant to this thread and my post. Absolutely nothing about mounts changes my mind about the lack of need for the race change. If there's anything that I'm missing, then feel free to be more specific, otherwise it's a pretty weak attempt at a strawman argument.

There is literally no reason not to want race change... so you are just being defensive about ANet not having implemented it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

There is literally no reason not to want race change... so you are just being defensive about ANet not having implemented it.

We had every option available at the point we were creating the characters. Also the OP claims we "NEED" (CAPS INCLUDED) it, while we very clearly DON'T NEED IT. So you're just trying to be contrarian for no reason (hey, I can claim the same thing, see how easy it is?) on top of making a strawman out of mounts, which have absolutely nothing to do with this thread or my post.

And I have no reason to "be defensive for anet", so that's just another blind guess missed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What do you mean there is no reason? We had every option available at the point we were creating the characters. Also the OP claims we "NEED" (CAPS INCLUDED) it, while we very clearly DON'T NEED IT. So you're just trying to be contrarian for no reason (hey, I can claim the same thing, see how easy it is?) and make a strawman out of mounts, which have absolutely nothing to do with this thread or my post.

And I have no reason to "be defensive for anet", so that's just another blind guess missed.

Lol taking "need" so literally... someone doesn't have an argument.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Lol taking "need" so literally... someone doesn't have an argument.

lol, I'm commenting on what someone writes (repeatedly), how foolish of me, right?

...and look who's talking about no arguments, mr. BUT THE MOUNTS 🙄

So yeah, we absolutely don't need it. Not only that, but apparently OP already found a workaround for his huge "getting tired of animation" problem and he did it by creating new characters. Coincidentally also available through gemstore purchase of character slots. So yeah, I don't see where that "need" is at all, but if after your x posts you finally have something relevant to point out then feel free to spell it out for me.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

lol, I'm commenting on what someone writes (repeatedly), how foolish of me, right?

...and look who's talking about no arguments, mr. BUT THE MOUNTS 🙄

So yeah, we absolutely don't need it. Not only that, but apparently OP already found a workaround for his huge "getting tired of animation" problem and he did it by creating new characters. Coincidentally also available through gemstore purchase of character slots. So yeah, I don't see where that "need" is at all.

I didn't "write" anything, I "typed" it. So yeah, I don't see where that "write" is at all.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

People also said we didn't need mounts, until we got them.

We dident need mounts and had Anet continued with the same popuplation of waypoints they still would not be needed.

We now got mounts and future maps were changed because of it and they are quite nice to be fair.

With 69-72 max character slots depending on editions bought and core ftp veteran bonus.

Its quite true that we dont need race change at all.

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

We dident need mounts and had Anet continued with the same popuplation of waypoints they still would not be needed.

We now got mounts and future maps were changed because of it and they are quite nice to be fair.

With 69-72 max character slots depending on editions bought and core ftp veteran bonus.

Its quite true that we dont need race change at all.

Obviously we don't literally *need* anything, OP is using it as an intensifier, as is obvious by the caps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I didn't "write" anything, I "typed" it. So yeah, I don't see where that "write" is at all.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english/write

"to create and record something, such as a book, poem, song, or computer program, on paper or on a computer"

You're trying really hard despite still having nothing relevant to say. Stop failing.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english/write

"to create and record something, such as a book, poem, song, or computer program, on paper or on a computer"

You're trying really hard despite still having nothing relevant to say. Stop failing.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english/need

"to want something very much"

In other words, not absolutely required.

Edited by Mortifera.6138
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Great, so now lets go back to my post where I said "we don't need it" (because that's what "no, we don't" means in that context) and your irrelevant response about mounts and feel free to respond with something relevant this time 🙄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Well then, speak for yourself (instead of saying "we"). You may not want it, but I sure do.

Literally the same applies to OP and in that context, he's definitely not speaking for everyone which automatically makes the meaning of the word NOT be "we want it very much", but actual "need".

So I guess you still have nothing relevant to say about that, then not sure why you felt the need to quote me 😞

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Literally the same applies to OP and in that context, he's definitely not speaking for everyone and automatically makes the meaning of the word NOT be "we want it very much", but actual "need".

So I guess still have nothing relevant to say about that 😞

So if he's trying to speak for everyone, you are right in doing so as well? LOL.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Mortifera.6138 said:

So if he's trying to speak for everyone, you are right in doing so as well? LOL.

What I mean is literally what I said, which is "no, we don't need it"

"LOL"

...still nothing relevant to respond, eh? 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

What I mean is literally what I said, which is "no, we don't need it"

"LOL"

...still nothing relevant to respond, eh? 🤔 

You fail to comprehend basic things.

The only person who can say what he meant by "need" is OP.

Secondly, you used "we" as well, so if the OP is wrong in speaking for everyone, you are too.

Goodbye.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

You fail to comprehend basic things.

The only person who can say what he meant by "need" is OP.

Secondly, you used "we" as well, so if the OP is wrong in speaking for everyone, you are too.

Goodbye.

I used "we" literally for the sole reason of OP doing the same. You've just tried to use double standards here which didn't work, just like your nitpicking (or to be more accurate: mount strawman) without having anything relevant to say. Next time you don't intend to respond to what I wrote, maybe don't quote me, thanks. 🙄

And it's interesting how "only OP can say what he meant by writing need", but the same suddenly doesn't apply to what I said, because in that case it was "LOL taking words literally" 🙃

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

I haven’t seen any posts about race changes by ANet after 2013, however the posts they made at that time were a definite no. Usually ANet will say ‘something is on the table but it’s not something they’re working on right now’. It’s pretty rare for them to say ‘no, we will not’. Which makes me think that the choice of race and story is something that’s hard baked into the character creation. As for the argument that players can skip the story, your characters very first appearance in the game is inside the first story instance so that’s not an option. 

Anet’s posts on this subject (admittedly very old, but also very definite) 

1) I am afraid that the team does contemplate different possibilities and new features for the future but this one is not among those. 

2) There are a lot of far-reaching consequences of allowing one character to play through every race’s personal story or equip any cultural armor/weapons. 
3) Thanks for asking. To change the race in the Gem store will not be an option in Guild Wars 2. 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

21 hours ago, Tuen.5641 said:

Very well sir! You have won me over. Thanks for the detailed reply. And I guess in the end of the day, my real issue is just being an altoholic lol.

An altaholic would just make another character of whatever combination of gender/race/class they wanted instead of ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

People also said we didn't need mounts, until we got them.

And we didn't need them. Until we got them. In fact, that we do need them now is one of the reasons i didn't want them to be implemented. While the mounts themselves are fine (and definitely one of the best, if not the best implementation i have seen), the changes to the game design they caused are for the worse, not better.

So, bad example.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 7

Profession swap - yes, i don't think it's tied to anything story-related.
Even Dual-Profession upgrade will be cool. Character will wear armor-type from primary profession but skills traits and abilities depending on selected profession, main or secondary. Main Thief- Secondary Mesmer, with Secondary profession activate it will be Mesmer in medium gear.

But Race change - game breaking stuff. No one wants data-base rollbacks.

When it comes to retain your character looks after deletion-recreation, arena should make some form of Blacklion Character-template storage. Where we could store our character settings ( p.s. i have twin characters on my account, wasn't easy 😄 )

Edited by Aeon.4583

15 hours ago, Gregg.3970 said:

@Tuen.5641 I think its a valid question as many have asked in the past, I myself asked this over several years back when I made my 1st character as Asuran and desperately wanted to change race, however i politely directed to the Search Option of this forum, and Race Change as been brought up countless times before with all the reasons why Anet will not implement it as as far as I can see if this change was going to happen it would have been years ago.  

Search Option of this Forum = MVP

@Astralporing.1957sums up the the masses of these previous threads perfectly in their first post on this thread.

On the plus side - we can make use of 69 character slots per account, and only 5 Races to choose from so we can have at least x13 characters of each race if we choose.   If our accounts were only limited to < 10 characters then I think Race Change would become wholly viable, but 69 characters are more than enough for each and every Race/ Profession we desire.  Heck I'm lucky if I have time each day to log 3-4 different characters let alone 69!

Just have to adapt to how it is atm: For example I made my First Warrior: Charr and wanted to show off some infusions that I'd bought, but was gutted as Charr is like the worst character for displaying infusions ( except of Ember, Celestial perhaps, but others like Winter's Heart you can't barely see it): So i made 2 new characters: 1 human warrior, 1 sylvaria warrior to see which worked better with the infusions, and eventually ended up with 3 Warriors( I just equipped them slowly over time with Asc. Chest drops):

This itself became a bonus, since I turned 1 warrior into a SpellBreaker for WvW, other warrior BS for fractals, and other one: General open world PvE.  Advantage of not having race change: I made more standalone characters ready for different game modes ( saved me on build/equipment templates i guess, so pros and cons to everything!)

This is actually a great tip! Because right now I have duplicates of all classes, and the latest of the two are the ones I play on. But I also don't want to delete the first ones because of bday gifts and investing in inventory slots and other upgrades on them. 

Gearing them up for different game modes is actually a very good idea! I spent 90% of my time in PvP, but I also enjoy some PVE from time to time. I always find 6 equipment tabs and build tabs to be to little, so I'll definitely take your tip here and gear my mains up for PvP (which is my main content), and the old ones for PvE then.

Thank you sir!

1 hour ago, Aeon.4583 said:

Profession swap - yes, i don't think it's tied to anything story-related.
Even Dual-Profession upgrade will be cool. Character will wear armor-type from primary profession but skills traits and abilities depending on selected profession, main or secondary. Main Thief- Secondary Mesmer, with Secondary profession activate it will be Mesmer in medium gear.

But Race change - game breaking stuff. No one wants data-base rollbacks.

When it comes to retain your character looks after deletion-recreation, arena should make some form of Blacklion Character-template storage. Where we could store our character settings ( p.s. i have twin characters on my account, wasn't easy 😄 )

Dual Professions sounds horrible. I don't see how that would work in Guild Wars 2. 

Although a profession change scroll or whatever would definitely solve all my issues with races tho. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tuen.5641 said:

Dual Professions sounds horrible. I don't see how that would work in Guild Wars 2. 

Most likely it wouldn't. It's one of the things you really need to plan for and include from the very beginning, not something you can just add later.

3 hours ago, Tuen.5641 said:

Although a profession change scroll or whatever would definitely solve all my issues with races tho. 

Profession change is something far more likely to happen, as it (probably) doesn't have most of the problems race change brings with it.

• Like 2