Make dungeons great again

On 7/1/2021 at 5:49 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

For the last time, Fractals and Dungeons are the same thing.

Stop asking for dungeons, u have dungeons in fractals.

Fractals are mini dungeons and does require AR. Dungeons should be a 45 min run, and not 15. 🙄

1 minute ago, eyelogix.1654 said:

Fractals are mini dungeons and does require AR. Dungeons should be a 45 min run, and not 15. 🙄

Clearly, people wanting to speedrun through them means they should be shorter, not longer. This isn't 2004, where people play for the journey. They just want the reward.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Clearly, people wanting to speedrun through them means they should be shorter, not longer. This isn't 2004, where people play for the journey. They just want the reward.

If they want fancy loot and speed run they should just keep themselves to fractals instead on cm. 🙄
Better rewards is something that you should have to work for.

I used to be a dungeon runner back to 5 years ago. i love it. however there is no point back to dungeon these day.  the reward is totally sucks. the only player will run dungeon are those who want 1st gen legendary weapon. its really sad that anet abandoned it.. they should have better reward or maybe make that as part of other achievement to bring back players.

• Like 1

I think those of us that were around in their heyday know why dungeons are dead. It's because they took some scissors to their gold output. I remember queuing for daily CoF with friends after teq because we could do two of the paths pretty quick. The box of gold you get for doing 8 of them is pretty good but that's a lot of effort for 5 gold when fractals are easier. 

And yes they are easier, I try to do some dungeons when I can in addition to daily fractals and there are about as many weird sudden death mechanics and puzzles as in fractals. Those monsters do a lot of damage and explorable paths generally go on for longer than most fractals will. Even a group with experience and raid builds can have a rough time in Arah, especially if they wanted to stop and fight for those chests along the way to the end.

But all of that nerfing to the rewards was to make more players do what anet thought took more effort and investment. (raids and fractals) I don't think it's really true anymore but they're not about to go back and look at dungeons again anytime soon. I'm not sure there is really a happy medium that doesn't cause some crazy inflation though. Maybe it could guarantee more rare unidentified gear now or have reward tracks or something. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 11:29 AM, Mik.3401 said:

I think it is indeed worth noting dungeons died years ago. I did Twilight Arbor the other day for the first time since like 2013 and realised I completely  forgot what was inside.

So you succeeded by adding cheeky comment, but there is merit in the OP.

Dungeons felt more immersive than fractals imho because they could be approached in few ways and their completion time was just right as for a highlight of the gaming session.
Like - some fractals (e.g. Siren’s Reef) would make a wonderful dungeon because they are well designed - but just feel cut short and half-baked. Of course one does other dailies as well, but it is not a substitute to dungeon crawling to me. Raids can be, but their length is just too extreme on the other end.

Let's talk about your well designed dungeons.

Let's take CoE as an example. There are three different paths. Each path has the same boss that you meet 3 times. While there are a couple of differences, there's a lot of repetition too.  One boss you had to bait into obelisks, which he'd charge into and knock himself senseless.  I mean it was reallly stupid.

Another boss has a kill shot you really can't avoid or even see coming.  It's just a ludicrous assertion that dungeons are well designed and fractals aren't.  Some are better than others, like fractals. But they're massively easy to cheat, even compared to fractals.  Stack in this corner, stack in that corner, stack on the boss, dodge the circle.  Most dungeons were pretty basic, with a couple of exceptions like TA Aetherblade Path, or some paths of Arah.

At the end of the day this rose colored dungeon glasses fest is just that. Dungeons were designed before Anet knew how to design encounters without a trinity. Fractals just do it better over all. 

• Like 2

Dungeons for the most part (explorable paths) are fine as they are.

The one thing I wish Anet would fix about them is the 5 man requirement for the story path.
They did it with Arah and they should do it with the rest of them as well.
Important main story/lore is just a bad thing to mix into group content period.. especially farmable group content which is what dungeons, raids and fractals are.

The story modes at least should be balanced for single players like Arah was.

• Like 1

I don't like the basic concept of Fractals: some annoying Asura (Dessa) babbling modern speech throughout a classic setting, thus ruining the whole thing's atmosphere. The annoyance factor is enhanced by the terrible voice modulations that are supposed to display the difficulty of commmunications transfer through the fabric of the Mists.

There's also little explanation on who the (partially) historic characters in those settings are, which basically degrades the whole experience to a loot farm run.

I don't like how they replaced Dungeons with Fractals, when the basic concept (minus the annoying narrator) was the same. Likely, they wanted something that would justify time-travel or traveling into cosmic spheres etc. I didn't need that sort of thing, though, and would have preferred if they expanded on Dungeons - less airy-fairy.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

On 7/1/2021 at 2:53 AM, Mortifera.6138 said:

I like speedrunning, not doing a bunch of mini-game puzzles for 30 minutes. Anyone here like dungeons but not Fractals? It's a pretty bad impression for a new player to come into an MMO and see the dungeons are dead.

i agree they should just remove the dungeons completely since almost no one is playing them.

56 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Let's talk about your well designed dungeons.

Let's take CoE as an example. There are three different paths. Each path has the same boss that you meet 3 times. While there are a couple of differences, there's a lot of repetition too.  One boss you had to bait into obelisks, which he'd charge into and knock himself senseless.  I mean it was reallly stupid.

Another boss has a kill shot you really can't avoid or even see coming.  It's just a ludicrous assertion that dungeons are well designed and fractals aren't.  Some are better than others, like fractals. But they're massively easy to cheat, even compared to fractals.  Stack in this corner, stack in that corner, stack on the boss, dodge the circle.  Most dungeons were pretty basic, with a couple of exceptions like TA Aetherblade Path, or some paths of Arah.

At the end of the day this rose colored dungeon glasses fest is just that. Dungeons were designed before Anet knew how to design encounters without a trinity. Fractals just do it better over all. 

Yes you are right, I did hold to nostalgia a bit, some of the dungeons were indeed annoying. However, the fractals are all about repetition and with few exceptions not much mechanics at all as well. It’s undeniable that dungeons with multiple paths seem to have more potential with the right development. Unless they introduce different ways to complete fractals, but that’s just not what they are. I think the idea of fractals is to provide quick easy content for short gaming session, there is no way to do dungeons crawling without committing to raids which are significantly longer on the other hand. Hence yes - I agree dungeons need some love

On 7/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

I often have trouble finding players for dungeons who don't want speedrunning.

Yeah that's the current state... I wish ppl would just stop and watch all the cutscenes and then proceed rather than skip and kill everything... At that point, u might as well go join palawadan or drizzlewood coast kill everything on sight and get loot... 

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871