Anvils Unnecessary

I'm not sure if armor repairs used to be different, but currently, the system is pointless. If you die and happen to break your armor, you can spawn next to an anvil and repair your armor for free. It's so random and easy, and there's no reward or penalty (unless you refuse to repair to the point where all armor is broken).

I think that anvils and the armor breaking system should be removed completely. They do not add flavor or anything positive to a player's experience.

• Like 6

Repairing used to cost money.

However, I don't trust Arenanet to remove anvils and armour damage without breaking things in the game.

It costs no money now and there are some other ways to fix armour as well, so there's no harm in leaving it as is.

• Haha 1

No punishment for dying, not even the 3 silver it used to cost, its Anet being too nice to players and treating us like children who can't handle a punishing 3 silver consequence for dying 50 times, i used to care if i die and be careful, but now i don't mind at all, sometimes people just die because its faster than killing some bosses.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, AquaBR.9250 said:

No punishment for dying, not even the 3 silver it used to cost, its Anet being too nice to players and treating us like children who can't handle a punishing 3 silver consequence for dying 50 times, i used to care if i die and be careful, but now i don't mind at all, sometimes people just die because its faster than killing some bosses.

Considering as people said, there's no anvils around nearby at some instances and that you have to respawn and walk all the way back to the combat zone as well, I think that's fine.

I remember the days of GW1's 15% penalty to health and energy (that stacked too!) on death. That was super irritating, and I'm glad they removed it.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

Not all instances have repair stations, so armour damage is still a penalty of sorts for dying repeatedly.

Fractals come to mind. You can't just repair your armor while in them so dying repeatedly lowers your changes of finishing a fractal and having to start anew.

So the mechanic hasits usesy just not so much in open world. It does act as kind of a "break" of sorts.

Changing that to specifically instances however would be pointless.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Fractals come to mind. You can't just repair your armor while in them so dying repeatedly lowers your changes of finishing a fractal and having to start anew.

Probably back in the days when fractals were released, but with the singularity you get auto-repaired upon touching one, making repairing pretty much obsolete since masteries are out 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Embered.5089 said:

I'm not sure if armor repairs used to be different, but currently, the system is pointless. If you die and happen to break your armor, you can spawn next to an anvil and repair your armor for free. It's so random and easy, and there's no reward or penalty (unless you refuse to repair to the point where all armor is broken).

I think that anvils and the armor breaking system should be removed completely. They do not add flavor or anything positive to a player's experience.

Well, have you seen people running around with broken armour? It sure is fun though.

1 hour ago, Vindicate.6951 said:

Probably back in the days when fractals were released, but with the singularity you get auto-repaired upon touching one, making repairing pretty much obsolete since masteries are out 😄

Still, you need to master it first and there are some stretches where it's not possible to repair.

But yeah... Its a relic at this point.

11 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

So the mechanic hasits usesy just not so much in open world. It does act as kind of a "break" of sorts.

Changing that to specifically instances however would be pointless.

The singularity repairs armor when you have the mastery and these are before every boss in the fractals, reset on party wipe,  and reapply potions if applicable.

Edited by Sir Alymer.3406

Or in WvW, there are anvils, but there is not even anymore armor damage upon death there. So completely pointless there. 😛

In some cases it does play as a gameplay mechanic though (inside instances). But otherwise, it is pretty pointless. However, I think it should just stay how it is. It is the only real effect of dying (minus WP costs). I don't think harsh death penalties are a good idea anyway, it makes people more angry when doing group content based on my experiences in other MMOs.

A fun tip though. If you are out in the open world with a bunch of damaged armor, just pop into the PvP lobby and your armor is insta-repaired through the powers of the mists. Then pop out to your open world location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

I remember the days of GW1's 15% penalty to health and energy (that stacked too!) on death. That was super irritating, and I'm glad they removed it.

Irritating maybe, but it did reinforce some semblance of skillful play.  

Fast forward 16 years and everyone needs a million safety nets in the name of 'fun'.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm not sure that I understand the point?  If anvils don't suit your style/preference of play, then don't use them.

I mean, unless you want to create an entirely new armor set every time it breaks, then you kind of have to.

7 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Irritating maybe, but it did reinforce some semblance of skillful play.  

Fast forward 16 years and everyone needs a million safety nets in the name of 'fun'.  

I don't think making things less convenient automatically means making things more skillful. Sometimes, dude, stuff is just annoying. The hard difficulty reinforced the skillful play, not the incredibly harsh and irritating-as-hell death penalty. And this is coming from a big GW1 fan by the way.

Edited by Arnox.5128

15 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Repair canisters are a thing.

Oh, I didn't know you could buy those. TIL.

That would add up fast though. Especially for a new player. But then, admittedly, I suppose you wouldn't be attempting this challenge in the first place if you were new. lol

Edited by Arnox.5128

1 hour ago, Arnox.5128 said:

I don't think making things less convenient automatically means making things more skillful. Sometimes, dude, stuff is just annoying. The hard difficulty reinforced the skillful play, not the incredibly harsh and irritating-as-hell death penalty. And this is coming from a big GW1 fan by the way.

Different viewpoints I guess.  I like things like GW1 and Dark Souls 2 death penalty because it made me think before doing things. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Considering as people said, there's no anvils around nearby at some instances and that you have to respawn and walk all the way back to the combat zone as well, I think that's fine.

Yeah i guess, i came from dark souls 2 where you have a health penalty everytime you die, that made me pay attention to my surroundings, be extra careful and not just throw myself at stuff like crazy untill i kill it, like everyone do in guild wars 2