An underwhelming reveal so far.

An underwhelming mount, meh fishing, lazy legendaries, next to no footage of the new maps, no lore and no understanding of what's going on...

Even the elite spec doesn't feel that exciting. Mesmers get regular ammos instead of clones, alright, nothing groundbreaking.

I'm not saying the expansion will be bad. I'm saying we've be shown too little.

"But it's just a first look!" - I know, but it was THE moment to build hype and get everybody excited. I feel like they failed to deliver.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Understandable. My hype is gone, I don't agree with some of the choices made by Anet for EoD such as moving away from raids to bring more strike missions. I will just accept what they have to offer and that's it! I wished the company focused a lot on the lore and bring some interesting characters to the table, I did my best, can't blame myself for all the positive efforts made into giving away good ideas.

You can't always expect an eagle to fly if she doesn't want to do so. It was their time to shine.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It's too early to start really building hype. They had that problem with HoT.  Hype was built too early.  This was planned when the game was going to launch earlier. It's not as far along as they'd like it to be obviously.  So less to show. Maybe they should have moved the reveal date, but I think people are looking for too much. You're right, we don't know anything. And at this point, we don't need to be hyped with a capital h.

Still I watched the reveal with my  guild and everyone pretty much was hyped. Shrugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Peanutz.3129 said:

Another whiny thread...

Why make a new one?

I take it this is how people register their disappointment nowadays. It used to be you could wish for a pony and then just be sad when you didn’t get one. Now you can go online and find other people who also didn’t get a pony and feed off each other’s disappointment until it becomes hate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I didn't like it too. Ok it was a first look, but that little that they showed wasn't convincing for me.

I remember when they showed PoF I was shocked, the hype was real and I was one of the few against mounts, but the show was so great I immediately pre ordered it.

Another minor thing is the espec reveal, no lore, no emphasis, just showing the skills, which is great but it was so bland... I really liked the little teaser we got in PoF reveal!

I'm a bit disappointed I hope I'm wrong and we get a really good expac, I love this game and I wish it can be better!

• Like 1

I'ts not the first time Anet fails to deliver, it has been their story from some years now.
I broke my vow to not be hyped and started picking up things I thought were hints from Anet about the expansion, but they were not.
The outcome of this presentation is so underwelming I wonder if the devs feel ashamed of it...
It doesn't even feel like an expansion is coming, I didn't go to the preorder page and I don't think I will...I will wait for it to be super cheap on sale and then it will be worth my 13 euro as a dlc...
I don't even understand whom thought that this was a good first peak, without any big features!
In Hot we had specializations and gliding, in Pof we had mounts that added more to the game while in this one we got a mount that will change nothing and an activity that I will not take part in and I'm sure that most of the community will ignore too.
If fishing, the boat and the mount would be minor features to accompany the big one I would be fine with it but this....this is underwelming

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, shrew.3059 said:

I take it this is how people register their disappointment nowadays.

Yes. People use forums to share their opinions, feedbacks and thoughts about a specific. Sometimes, the things they have to say are not positive.

New to the concept?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

Hmm.. I am surprised that the white knight cavalry is not here yet.

We are already warming up in the background. Two hours ago, we started our regular 6pm strategy-meeting, highlighting the current main topics and discussing possible weakpoints to counter those arguments. We filled 8 flipcharts and created an excel sheet with answers, which every team-member can access once we go into the offensive. At the moment it is pointless to react directly, as the flood just keeps coming. Once the moderators start with merging the threads, we will start with our work. Thank you for your patience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peanutz.3129 said:

Another whiny thread...

Why make a new one?

Because everyone's whining is different. Everyone is a a unique snowflake. Some more sensitive than others. 

but to be fair, since the OP didn't figure it out, the answer to 'underwhelming first look' is 'be patient for other reveals'. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

since the OP didn't figure it out, the answer to 'underwhelming' is 'be patient'. 

And you didn't figure out my extremely simple point: a first look at an expansion shouldn't make me want to be "patient".

It should immediately make me feel excited about what's to come. 

There was nothing exciting or groundbreaking in this presentation. An MMORPG's expansion reveal SHOULD have its "wow!!!" factor, and this one didn't have that.

Again: underwhelming is the word.

• Confused 1

I'm normaly not satisfied with the way ANet presentet things. And i'm always pretty critical about their work. But honestly i think this is the first time for a looooong time i'm not disapointed. Sure there is not this gamechangeing new thing but overall i liked what i heard and saw. I like the first outlook on the new mesmer spec. A siege turtle is also a nice thing imo. Fishing is okay i like minigames and side stuff to do. I like how they will add skills to mobs depending on their rare/elite level. I'm really interested how the whole strike thing will work out and get improved. Overall i'm really thinking EoD can become a really good expansion. Because there is no strange/crazy overhyping things like before the saga. Only real letdown till now is the new leggy series. Looks like a Black Lion Chest rip off thing. But i've already have around 8 leggys so no big loss for me. My biggest wish for EoD is replayability with nice meta events like HoT. Also i'm a little bit hyped for the new necro elite. Pistol will be a really needeed fresh breeze of gameplay.

Edited by SunTzu.4513
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Yes. People use forums to share their opinions, feedbacks and thoughts about a specific. Sometimes, the things they have to say are not positive.

New to the concept?

I think all those things (opinions, feedback, and thoughts) are definitely worth sharing if constructive, but something like “lazy legendary” doesn’t really qualify. For example, you might mean a dozen different, equally valid things, but I doubt you’re in any position to judge the work ethic of the designers, so “lazy” isn’t really something you can substantiate. “I’d prefer a greater diversity of legendary appearances and it sounds like we won’t be getting that” is constructive; “this looks lazy” is not constructive.

That said, it’s perfectly fine to feel underwhelmed, but it’s probably also worth asking yourself what you expected and if those expectations were justified.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

And you didn't figure out my extremely simple point: a first look at an expansion shouldn't make me want to be "patient".

It should immediately make me feel excited about what's to come. 

The game can't cater to exactly what makes you 'excited'. It's not designed around your excitement. Same goes for the 'first look'. There isn't anything wrong about you not being excited about the first look. It's not worth the individual PSA's we get about it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I'm not saying the expansion will be bad. I'm saying we've be shown too little.

My recommendation: Wait for the expansion to be released. The benefits of an early purchase are fairly limited anyway. If the expansion is bad, you still have the option to not buy it.

• Like 1