THE LAST PLAYABLE RACE THREAD I'D LIKE TO SEE

I never post on these forms but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY--GET THIS IN YOUR BRAINS, THERE IS A 1% CHANCE A NEW PLAYABLE RACE WILL EVER BE IMPLEMENTED IN THE GAME.  SO STOP THINKING AND POSTING ABOUT IT.

WHY YOU MAY ASK? I DUNNO, use your brain and think about how much work it would be...

ArenaNet would have to retroactively make all skins, all armors, outfits, cosmetics fit a new race model and that would NOT be worth it. We're talking THOUSANDS of skins and items they have to tweak or redo. And that doesn't even take into the account the work needed to flesh out what is required for a new playable race like capital city, starter area, etc.

SO JUST FORGET IT.  STOP thinking we're going to get a new playable race. Good God. It's not EASY and a push a button 1 2 3. No more threads about this. No more posts. /end rant.

Edited by wetwillyhip.7254
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

People said the same about mounts, never forget that.

No, the threads wont stop. If you dont want to read the threads, dont read the threads. 🙂

The tengu requests have been around before the game even was released(So to where mount requests), Further, both mount and the tengu megathread had more views, and responses(Both for and against) than any other threads so far on the forums.

Edit: Other things players thought would never come include: Capes, Dyeable backpacks, and fishing.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

To you*

HOW is this not a massive resource sink? Tell me how they could do this without making it feel half baked.  So you're going to be locked out of all previous skins/armors?

A dev replied about this a million years ago on this forum saying it's a resource sink. Don't even think I'm going to go search for that response--for all I know the thread has been archived and gone when the forums were revised. Anyone else remember what I'm talking about? 

Edited by wetwillyhip.7254
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wetwillyhip.7254 said:

HOW is this not a massive resource sink? Tell me how they could do this without making it feel half baked.  So you're going to be locked out of all previous skins/armors?

A dev replied about this a million years ago on this forum saying it's a resource sink. Don't even think I'm going to go search for that response--for all I know the thread has been archived and gone when the forums were revised. Anyone else remember what I'm talking about? 

I never said it wasnt. HOWEVER, it would be a huge deal for the game to do so, id also be really really hyped. Ive loved the tengu lore since GW1.

Tengu already have a city, that city is big enough they could put a starter zone in it to(Albeit a small one.) Or they could just start off at level 15, or even Level 80, since it would be added with an expansion. *shrug*

Tengu use the Charr skeleton, with its rigging points, so itd be alot easier to reform armor to them, would it take some time? yes. But alot less than making a fully new race.

Tengu have been getting animation updates throughout the course of the game. They got some with HOT, and if i recall they got some more with the latest DRM that included them(Celadon forest.), they look really cool actually. They also have quite a few variations to them throughout the world.

The devs have never flat out said no to a new race. They have said its a resource sink, i remember that post, i was there.

At the same time, So too was mounts, and so too was adding a new class(Rev almost broke the game to get in.), raids also where a huge resource sink, and they got played so little they got practically abandoned.

Folks on the forums said Capes, Mounts, Dyeable Backpacks and fishing would never happen, and they have. Aside from that, only one thing has the most amount of requests: Playable tengu.

Directly behind playable tengu is player house, something alot of players also say no to.

Players will continue to request playable races, with Tengu being at the forefront of those requests until ANET either says flat out says no, we wont do new races, or they get added in. So, again, ifin you dont like the request race threads, dont look at them. However i will say anet needs to merge them, Theres way to many at the moment.

Anet could blow everyone away with how they added a new race, as theyve blown everyone away with how they added mounts, that even silenced folks like me who didnt want mounts in the game. I ❤️ mounts now.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don't necessarily care for a new race and do find some of the complaining about it rather annoying, but to be fair it wouldn't really be that hard to implement minus all the work it would take to skin them. Say they want to add Tengu, they could start off the race at level 80 and give it a modest starting zone/story that could be merged into the EOD story. Could care less either way about having a bird to play as, but its doable. 

Edited by Deadly.3298

2 hours ago, wetwillyhip.7254 said:

I never post on these forms but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY--GET THIS IN YOUR BRAINS, THERE IS A 1% CHANCE A NEW PLAYABLE RACE WILL EVER BE IMPLEMENTED IN THE GAME.  SO STOP THINKING AND POSTING ABOUT IT.

WHY YOU MAY ASK? I DUNNO, use your brain and think about how much work it would be...

ArenaNet would have to retroactively make all skins, all armors, outfits, cosmetics fit a new race model and that would NOT be worth it. We're talking THOUSANDS of skins and items they have to tweak or redo. And that doesn't even take into the account the work needed to flesh out what is required for a new playable race like capital city, starter area, etc.

SO JUST FORGET IT.  STOP thinking we're going to get a new playable race. Good God. It's not EASY and a push a button 1 2 3. No more threads about this. No more posts. /end rant.

So? its their job to work on those things. All great mmos always introduce new races. Having more races would attract more players and would make the game feel bigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wetwillyhip.7254 said:

We don't know what tools Anet has now compared to what they had when they first started. They might have found ways to streamline the process of armor and weapon scaling, or they haven't. We just don't know unless Anet gives an update about the idea of another playable race. And if you're bringing up a post made pre forum revision, even if the post was made 4 years ago a lot can change. 

I'll continue to be hopeful for another race, I've always loved the idea of roaming Tyria through the eyes of another playable species.

Edited by Doomfrost.5728

1 hour ago, wetwillyhip.7254 said:

ArenaNet would have to retroactively make all skins, all armors, outfits, cosmetics fit a new race model

No, they would not "have to". Most players would be content with the race having their own cultural armor sets - no need to have any of the existing ones fit the new race.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I'll just repeat what I said on another thread:

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

But whenever the topic comes up for GW2, everyone just says "Nope, that's too hard!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

No, they would not "have to". Most players would be content with the race having their own cultural armor sets - no need to have any of the existing ones fit the new race.

I think you're wrong, there would be many crying for this armor or that. Revenants lacking things the rest had was enough for crying out for some (such as racials).

If a new race were to be added, which I wouldn't want to see effort put into, I would want it to be complete, not a token add-on.

Edited by DeanBB.4268
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Some players might indeed be satisfied with that, but i would not go so far as say most would be. And i suspect that even those that think they would be satisfied with half-baked measures would start asking for more eventually.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Magek.4718 said:

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

But whenever the topic comes up for GW2, everyone just says "Nope, that's too hard!"

You might want to ponder for a while at least about why it's different for those games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Magek.4718 said:

FFXIV new races all use previous armors.

If you want the same things you need to use a race that is the same body as another, and tengu can't share it with previous race, so things largos is possible for armors.

Second problem that largos still have a thing is
+ ffxiv don't have different voice for your characters, since you litteraly don't have a voice.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

I never said it wasnt. HOWEVER, it would be a huge deal for the game to do so, id also be really really hyped. Ive loved the tengu lore since GW1.

Tengu already have a city, that city is big enough they could put a starter zone in it to(Albeit a small one.) Or they could just start off at level 15, or even Level 80, since it would be added with an expansion. *shrug*

Tengu use the Charr skeleton, with its rigging points, so itd be alot easier to reform armor to them, would it take some time? yes. But alot less than making a fully new race.

Tengu have been getting animation updates throughout the course of the game. They got some with HOT, and if i recall they got some more with the latest DRM that included them(Celadon forest.), they look really cool actually. They also have quite a few variations to them throughout the world.

The devs have never flat out said no to a new race. They have said its a resource sink, i remember that post, i was there.

At the same time, So too was mounts, and so too was adding a new class(Rev almost broke the game to get in.), raids also where a huge resource sink, and they got played so little they got practically abandoned.

Folks on the forums said Capes, Mounts, Dyeable Backpacks and fishing would never happen, and they have. Aside from that, only one thing has the most amount of requests: Playable tengu.

Directly behind playable tengu is player house, something alot of players also say no to.

Players will continue to request playable races, with Tengu being at the forefront of those requests until ANET either says flat out says no, we wont do new races, or they get added in. So, again, ifin you dont like the request race threads, dont look at them. However i will say anet needs to merge them, Theres way to many at the moment.

Anet could blow everyone away with how they added a new race, as theyve blown everyone away with how they added mounts, that even silenced folks like me who didnt want mounts in the game. I ❤️ mounts now.

"Everyone" 

I would faceplam so hard if we had gotten Tengu, it could be heard across the globe. 

So nice of them to waste so much time on a skin.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

People said the same about mounts, never forget that.

No, the threads wont stop. If you dont want to read the threads, dont read the threads. 🙂

The tengu requests have been around before the game even was released(So to where mount requests), Further, both mount and the tengu megathread had more views, and responses(Both for and against) than any other threads so far on the forums.

Edit: Other things players thought would never come include: Capes, Dyeable backpacks, and fishing.

People said there wouldn't be mounts, but Anet never said there wouldn't be mounts. Anet did say that it wasn't worth making a new race though. It's not quite the same situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, linkym.2069 said:

So? its their job to work on those things. All great mmos always introduce new races. Having more races would attract more players and would make the game feel bigger.

Even Guild Wars 1 never introduced a new race, and they only had humans. lol