Character options need an overhaul or at least some change.

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not but the character creation system needs some big adjustments. Not a ton but it's quite outdated when even WoW is giving more options. I think changing your hair should be only a gold cost and everything else should be a makeup kit cost. Keep the hair kits for unique hair colours and styles, that's fine. There's no way the monetary value of being unable to change it up freely would beat people who can and would likely share their characters around. If you look at the FFXIV subreddit it's pretty much just character art spam. From make up to earrings, there's a lot that can be added between both free and paid. It's really odd that there's a vast glamour system in place but every character still has faces from several years ago. I dunno, I'm probably rambling but it feels like it's an easy thing with how artistic Anet's teams are. Also, since I mentioned FFXIV, I'd like to point out that GW2's wardrobe is equally years ahead of it. I'm just salty I can't add edgy eyeliner on my dudes I guess

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

There were two sentences uttered in the EoD stream this week that may be of interest to you. 

“updated appearances in the style kits.  Coming in EoD”

Yeah, I'm making a post because of that. I think monetizing style kits as they are isn't a competitive strategy. I'm looking forward to what they've got coming, but it's not going to help anyone creating their character for the first time, or just wanting to casually

• Like 2

ANet says you could use the Kits do change your existing characters. If the new style options are even for new chars blocked behind the kit is not clear.

PoF did add a lot of new faces, beards and hairs for humans and 'a bug in the system' did add new charr options for free in the character creation.

Also in my personal opinion the character creation from gw2 is way superior to ff14 and wow.

Simple cause of the different body shapes  the detailed sliders for the faces and that you can wear any hair and any beard with any face.

Edited by Keymaster.7362
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kalocin.5982 said:

Yeah, I'm making a post because of that. I think monetizing style kits as they are isn't a competitive strategy. I'm looking forward to what they've got coming, but it's not going to help anyone creating their character for the first time, or just wanting to casually

You can convert gold to gems and buy kits. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

You can convert gold to gems and buy kits. 

That's pretty much the same argument used for WoW tokens. Nobody other than people who play more than the norm will use gold to buy gems for anything other than account upgrades. In theory, sure great idea. In practice most of the time you'll have a person set a look they're okay with and never change it because your choice is using gold on a character face that won't get seen compared to I dunno a giant glowing scythe or something. In practice it doesn't work. Changing your look is just something you get right or wait until you get the item to change that look. If not, put a helmet on. Why? Because the value isn't even close to equivalent. You're not getting makeover kits sold, you're just annoying your new players that will look at other games that have been doing it right for years. It doesn't need to be an MMO either, we're past having MMOs be the only game you ever play. It's doing it wrong and it's right in line with the wrong marketing strategy that GW2 has struggled with for years. People are paying commissions to have their character drawn in FFXIV which they share across their social media. People are paying money to adjust their character they made a mistake in for GW2, and they probably shared their character two years ago.

Also to add, FFXIV adds mesh shape changes over mesh sliders.  Likewise, I can use make up and there's significantly more options. Gw2 isn't better, it's getting away with it because nobody care what Gw2 does now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

I could probably go on how wrecked the gold economy is through veteran players too if that helps. I imagine an easy gold sink that increases the value of gold to casual on and off players can't be a bad thing. Honestly though it doesn't affect me. I have my kits in the bank and a ton of mystic coins to sell of whenever I feel like. I've got all my characters built and set up from years of playing. Truth be told I could care less because none of my friends want to play this game. Expletive me for caring right? Anyways, I heard new players can change their hair with gems after grinding for 200 hours

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

It must be so hard to give makeover kit a buff upon consuming that will last for a certain period of time, so that if you made a mistake on your customization, given you have the buff, you can visit a makeover kit npc and fix that mistake and any other things freely until buff is over.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kalocin.5982 said:

I could probably go on how wrecked the gold economy is through veteran players too if that helps. I imagine an easy gold sink that increases the value of gold to casual on and off players can't be a bad thing. Honestly though it doesn't affect me. I have my kits in the bank and a ton of mystic coins to sell of whenever I feel like. I've got all my characters built and set up from years of playing. Truth be told I could care less because none of my friends want to play this game. Expletive me for caring right? Anyways, I heard new players can change their hair with gems after grinding for 200 hours

Well, a makeover kit costs 350 gems.

400 gems costs 124 g

at a guranteed 4g per day(tequatl + dailies) would take 31 days for a makeover kit.

At a guranteed 6g per day(teq, dailies, Dragonstorm) would take 21 days for a makeover kit.

Those activites dont take long either, so players who play for a few hours a day can do other things too which leads to more gold income!

I wouldnt mind seeing the cost reduced, but its not all that bad as is.

• Like 1

Just now, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Does it really take that long to amass 75 Gold?  Even playing 5 minutes a day, one could get that much Gold in less than a month. 

See above, but you are correctish.

However, new players wont be able to do much more than dailies for awhile. Just doing dailies it would take 2+ months for a total makeover kit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I thought the OP was mostly concerned with changing hair.  My bad. 

And, no dailies required for ~40 Gold (Mystic Coins) and 20? 30? Gold from Laurels.   Add Dailies, and even less time. 

I ah, didnt count those as i dont sell them, they arent gold me. Need to many resources xD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

There were two sentences uttered in the EoD stream this week that may be of interest to you. 

“updated appearances in the style kits.  Coming in EoD”

Those will likely be just a handful of new faces and hairstyles. I hope they will look great, unlike what we got with PoF.

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, Kalocin.5982 said:

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not but the character creation system needs some big adjustments. Not a ton but it's quite outdated when even WoW is giving more options. I think changing your hair should be only a gold cost and everything else should be a makeup kit cost. Keep the hair kits for unique hair colours and styles, that's fine. There's no way the monetary value of being unable to change it up freely would beat people who can and would likely share their characters around. If you look at the FFXIV subreddit it's pretty much just character art spam. From make up to earrings, there's a lot that can be added between both free and paid. It's really odd that there's a vast glamour system in place but every character still has faces from several years ago. I dunno, I'm probably rambling but it feels like it's an easy thing with how artistic Anet's teams are. Also, since I mentioned FFXIV, I'd like to point out that GW2's wardrobe is equally years ahead of it. I'm just salty I can't add edgy eyeliner on my dudes I guess

WoW has terrible options and their extra races are so boring you might as well ignore they exist. GW2 has some of the best options, especially for hairs. Their only downside is every female face looks like they're 20 😆

I'd pay for tattoo kits though or hair adornments.

• Like 3

I think it's more about when you want to do something like that more often.
If they would change that, the infinite styling kit would be obsolete.

But I understand the idea behind it. I'm also saving up for a complete makeover kit for my thief after buying some Gem items. It's annoying because Gems are expensive and if you're impatient like me. But Gem's are supposed to be expensive, otherwise it wouldn't really be worth paying real money for them.

Because even if it is said here again and again, you can earn everything. I doubt that most really have the time/engagement to earn Gold for Gem's when its a item over 1k or so. 

But that's perfectly okay the way it is. I'm not a fan of this statement, but it's true, anet also has to make money.

15 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

See above, but you are correctish.

However, new players wont be able to do much more than dailies for awhile. Just doing dailies it would take 2+ months for a total makeover kit.

Players could always use real money to purchase gems.  You know, support the game and all.  Just saying.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I am in great need of making a character that I can relate to.  As it stands the choice is very thin and no mater what you do they are all looking samey.  We have 10 faces, 10 faces that are near as darn it,  the same.  Even messing around with the feature brings the same result of samey.

Give us a character creator that brings out the creativeness and imagination in us all, a extensive colour palette doesn't cut it and more flashing things is no substitute.

In all of my hours spent creating characters I am down to 2 that are JUST acceptable.  

All Humans and Norns are clones of each other.  Charr and Sylvari can be varied at the cost of looking a bit daft.

You know I say this but none of the character creators in any game are there yet.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Players could always use real money to purchase gems.  You know, support the game and all.  Just saying.

Would that be on top of the vast fortune I already spend on kitten gems.  I have tried to controlling myself but it's no use I always end up spending more than my allowance.

That is why I would love GW2 to bring in a sub.  It would be far cheaper.

• Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Would that be on top of the vast fortune I already spend on kitten gems.  I have tried to controlling myself but it's no use I always end up spending more than my allowance.

Basicly you are willing to throw the entire GW2 community under the bus and make many pay 10x or more per year than they do now just because you cannot control yourself. Seems rather selfish.

And you do realize that if GW had a sub... there will still be a gemshop? Just like every game with a sub.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Basicly you are willing to throw the entire GW2 community under the bus and make many pay 10x or more per year than they do now just because you cannot control yourself. Seems rather selfish.

And you do realize that if GW had a sub... there will still be a gemshop? Just like every game with a sub.

Not mention the whales like myself theyd lose.

I put alot of money into the game when im playing it actively. Because i can, and its a choice. I dont have to to even have access to my account.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Guess what?  You can subscribe to GW2!  Just pay them a set amount each and every month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Don't talk daft.  A voluntary sub of course like in TESO.  You sub you get access to stuff you would normally have to buy (while subbed)

You people, what you like?  You should know that they could never change to a compulsory sub from a F2P game.  What you smoking?

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2