Guardian Elite Preview

Downstate.4697

The Guardian is currently a soldier with a balance of physical and magical abilities, based primarily on supportive and defensive magic.

Primarily I see this spec being more offensive and selfish, with utilities that are more about control and personal defense.

I could see it going one of two ways:

• More of a martial fighter using Stances / Physical utilities.
  • More of a religious zealot using Cantrips or Manipulations.
  • Like 1

The image's background color in the forum post about the beta was blue, so sadly i belive that'll be the guardian.

Already looks like yet another boring power dps spec that will just overlap with dh, and the 3rd missed chance to get a warhorn on a class that was originally designed as a support.

I hope that with this power guard will become decent in pvp at least.

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Kanto.2485 said:

The image's background color in the forum post about the beta was blue, so sadly i belive that'll be the guardian.

Already looks like yet another boring power dps spec that will just overlap with dh, and the 3rd missed chance to get a warhorn on a class that was originally designed as a support.

Why would you want a Warhorn so much and restrict this class to even more support?

Core Guardian has had good support options since 2012.

Firebrand offers amazing support across all PvE modes and WvW.

What Guardian lacks is a melee bruiser or a condi spec or a control fighter.

Elite specs are meant to offer a different playstyle for each profession, why would you ask for MORE support Kanto, you're utterly bland.

• Like 5

On 8/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

The pose of this new teaser image does not match

You keep forgetting that there are different people working on EoD than the team(s) that were working on HoT and PoF.

It's all made to please the new anime generation of GW2 players rather than the mature longtime fans of the franchise.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Ezrael.6859 said:

Why would you want a Warhorn so much and restrict this class to even more support?

Elite specs are meant to offer a different playstyle for each profession, why would you ask for MORE support Kanto, you're utterly bland.

Yeah, pretty much this. Core guardian has even floated to the top support option in sPvP after firebrand was effectively boonsmited out of the mode.

Firebrand is already supposed to be the support spec. It's hard to be more support-oriented than a firebrand support build.

What guardian doesn't really have at the moment is something more along the lines of a duellist build. Existing guardian DPS builds are mostly pretty focused on spreading around lots of AoEs, which limits how much they can realistically be expected to be oriented towards single targets - yes, dragonhunter can post decent figures, but that requires stacking short-term damage boosting traits and then bursting while you have those boosts. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yeah, pretty much this. Core guardian has even floated to the top support option in sPvP after firebrand was effectively boonsmited out of the mode.

Firebrand is already supposed to be the support spec. It's hard to be more support-oriented than a firebrand support build.

What guardian doesn't really have at the moment is something more along the lines of a duellist build. Existing guardian DPS builds are mostly pretty focused on spreading around lots of AoEs, which limits how much they can realistically be expected to be oriented towards single targets - yes, dragonhunter can post decent figures, but that requires stacking short-term damage boosting traits and then bursting while you have those boosts. 

Exactly and I hope we get a duelist style build with this new elite spec.

I hope the Guardian is the one referenced as 'relentless' in the recent beta announcement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ezrael.6859 said:

Exactly and I hope we get a duelist style build with this new elite spec.

I hope the Guardian is the one referenced as 'relentless' in the recent beta announcement.

Hrrrmn. I could see a necromancer with that hat being the audacious one. That said, audacity could also be a suitable trait for a duellist.

5 hours ago, Ezrael.6859 said:

Exactly my point, unless anet manages to amaze us i doubt we'll get a different playstile. Core guard and dh would be good meelee bruiser classes in pvp if the gamemode had an actual balance team, the options in terms of utilities would be there, unfortunately 90% of guardian utilities in pvp are completely useless. Now we get an offhand sword, so condi is out of the question probably (condi spec was supposed to be firebrand, and it is in PvE, while in pvp and wvw it got nerfed to the point of being unplayable), and so is the "control fighter" option (which fb could be too if it wasn't for the nerfs).

Likely we'll be getting a couple power skills on offhand sword which we may or may not be able to use since power guards really need offhand focus or shield due to low hp pool and high cds on defensive skills/no evades. Now whatever new utilities/traits we get will -->hopefully<--- solve this problem by adding evade frames/mobility to allow for kiting or something of the sort, and then guard might even be available as a duelist, but then why don't i swap character to my revenant? what will be unique about playing a guardian?

A warhorn wouldn't necessarily relegate guard to support, you can only choose one one elite spec and fb is already so powerful in that role i doubt a warhorn would replace it. On the other hand having an offhand weapon with boon application (like fury which power guards have trouble getting in pvp) and maybe conditions too (i could see fear, weakness, vulnerability and such coming from an intimidating warhorn skill) could add to versatility, and contribute in different ways to different playstyles, making something unique.

Now once we get an offhand sword so we can chase down people with shadowsteps and burst them with power skills, what's new about the playstyle? What will be new in PvE? we'll play greatsword/sword-sword instead of greatsword/sword-focus (if focus won't still be better) with slightly different traits (because radiance and zeal will 90% remain) and maybe 1-2 new power utilities to replace traps, maybe a stance so we can press it off cd and be afk instead of lining it up with a burst.

On top of that, getting another sword just doesn't fit well with the class's flavor.

• Confused 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Teratus.2859 said:

Upper armour looks more like Medium Warlords armour to me, especially the gloves.
Heavy Warlords armour has huge bracers that leave little room for the exposed arm where as medium has thick gloves that stand out from the elbow.

Pattern on the shoulder guards also looks more like the medium variant than the heavy as well... too much detail for the heavy shoulders.
Also looks like it has an exposed face which the heavy helm doesn't have but the medium does.

The lower half does look more like the heavy though.

We maybe focusing too much on the armour though, which may even be a new set that will be coming in EoD.
Looking at the first shown spec can anyone actually identify the Virtuoso's armour?
I'm looking through a gallery of female light armour but i'm not seeing anything that matches it exactly so either it's something new coming in EoD or it's simply just the artists drawing something that looks cool and thematically fits the style of the spec.

Another thing to consider is the Necromancers teased preview as well.. Necro is clearly wearing what appears to be one of the medium armour hat's and a trench coat of some sorts.. clearly medium armour which either means it's not Necro or there's something really off about it.
So here's my three theories on that one.

1. These new elite specs maybe able to swap their armour class.. something some have requested in the past.
(I vote this unlikely)

2. A feature we'll be getting with End of Dragons may be the ability to mix and match armours of various weights, something else heavily requested over the years.
(I vote this extremely unlikely on the ground of clipping issues.)

3. The artists are just having fun and going with previews that look cool instead of actually in game accurate armours etc.
(Most likely answer imo)

Factor in the Assassins origins in Cantha, Shiro Tagachi's importance and the duel swords he had and how much thief players have wanted an Assassin spec i'd say that this is far more likely to be the thief than the guardian, but who knows.

The only thing that really says Guardian to me is the idea that Almora used an offhand sword in IBS.
We have seen this before in Gw2 with Jory and the GS Necro so that does have merit.
But if you ask me the Brawler style that Braham had in the finale of ISB fits far more with one of the other spec Icons which makes me think Guard is getting a brawler spec for EoD.

That's my take anyway, I suspect thief more likely but I won't rule out Guardian entirely ^^

Side portions of the helmet for the teaser image is heavy armor warlords. medium variant has cloth sides, this has metal lining and the shape of the face opening is spot on with the heavy variant.

12 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Yep it was fun while it lasted. Not that I don’t like  the double sword guard anyway, either way I am sure it will be fun

I mean double sword on thief is not off the table.

Would also make sense because its a missing slot and Anet does double up on E-spec weapons. Like with Chrono & Herald or Weaver & Holo..

• Like 3

On 8/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, LadyEden.7519 said:

You keep forgetting that there are different people working on EoD than the team(s) that were working on HoT and PoF.

It's all made to please the new anime generation of GW2 players rather than the mature longtime fans of the franchise.

Mature longtime fans are really invested in guardians looking to the right, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Mature longtime fans are really invested in guardians looking to the right, huh?

It is known that if you roleplay as a Guardian you must set up the camera so that it is fixated on your character's right side so as it is always looking that way no matter where your character is heading, it is the only right way to play it.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

I mean double sword on thief is not off the table.

Would also make sense because its a missing slot and Anet does double up on E-spec weapons. Like with Chrono & Herald or Weaver & Holo..

Yeah, in PoF we had 3 pairs of weapons for elites... (warrior/ranger with daggers, mesmer/guardian with axes, engi/ele with swords), so swords are not off the table for any class.

That said, I think they should stop with swords. If you look at the association table, the only class that doesn't wield a sword is the necromancer. Everyone else gets it as main weapon and 3 classes (now 4 with guardian's new elite) can dual wield them.

In comparison almost no one uses pistols, maces, longbows, shortbows and rifles (with elite specs, it's 3 classes for each, max).

Having some more diversity, like giving maces to 2 classes, one of each bow to 2 classes and same with pistols and rifles (that one looks like it's happening, necro is very likely to get pistols, and I like to think elementalists will get rifles, because they need a 2H weapon and that's the only weapon class they can't conjure with pistols).

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 3:18 PM, Kanto.2485 said:

Dude, Guardian has the best support out there, we dont need another support, we needed pure dps physical profession which I hope will get with this 2 sword thingie. 

We already have base support and condi build, dh range build, firebrand support and condi, we lack pure dps physical class with good heal skill except shelter. 

14 hours ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Hah hah hah hah! 😂 That's exactly what I meant. :classic_wink:

I can see the new Elite Spec to be something around the concept of an Imperial Guard.

Edited by LadyEden.7519

47 minutes ago, LadyEden.7519 said:

Hah hah hah hah! 😂 That's exactly what I meant. :classic_wink:

I can see the new Elite Spec to be something around the concept of an Imperial Guard.

It is. Speaking of which was that reddit leak referring to guards as Imperial style specs? Probably a coincidence, but I got myself reminded of that leak lol. 

So basically they are Shiro but in good? Hmm seems like a nice concept. Hopefully this time Anet actually sticks to their lore and have some NPCs around the empress that are Willbender..... unlike the spellbreaker which were supposed to originate from the Sunspears ..... with the actual sunspears having not a single Spellbreaker in them ...... Or the scourges all hand tought by Palawa Joko ..... but not a single one in his entire army .....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

It is. Speaking of which was that reddit leak referring to guards as Imperial style specs? Probably a coincidence, but I got myself reminded of that leak lol. 

I think that makes it one for three. That's off enough to think that it's mostly likely coincidence or convergent thinking rather than the supposed leak being legitimate.