Guardian Elite Spec: WILLBENDER

ChronoPinoyX.7923

1 hour ago, Exile.8160 said:

Meditations are the way to go with this spec tbh the new skills are nice and flashy but I dont belive they make the cut with that 11k healthpool.

Consecrations could be good. Not sure how well purging flames will interact with the mobility but the condi cleanse is tempting.

1 hour ago, Caid.4932 said:

Consecrations could be good. Not sure how well purging flames will interact with the mobility but the condi cleanse is tempting.

Entirely pointless, just use Lesser Smite Condition and/or CoP, there's like 8 disengage skills on WB, if you're getting too pressured, dash away and CoP. Start thinking less like a Guard and more like a Thief, the mobility IS the defense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gonna be honest, looking over the WB trait-line so many do next to nothing and offer no change in playstyles. 

------------

Regarding the first set of traits to choose from, they're all stats.  Stats are what you put in if you can't think of anything,  these are not really traits, just stats and don't need to be discussed cause they may as well not exist.

------------

Restorative Virtues only slightly lowers the cool downs of your other virtues while cancelling their active effects, so if you spam them they'll have slightly lower cooldowns I guess.

Holy Reckoning increases the dmg of the Willbender Flames Skill by 33%, a skill that barely does damage now does 33%  more and also adds a heal that heals you for less than the regular guardian's passive healing virtue ticks for.

Vanguard tactics, the first trait that has an effect that does something that could matter.  Giving useful boons to the guardian when they activate resolution and offering resistance when you shadow step.  We have two skills that can shadow step so this can be useful.

------------

Phoenix Protocol, will increase resolves active duration by 2 seconds and give alacrity and regen when it procs...  This trait looks not bad,  but it's gonna take 5 hits to trigger once, which is a fair amount of hits.  Thinking of things like PVP/WvW Roaming this  may not proc a lot.  PvE and maybe WvW zerg balls it will proc a bunch i guess.

Tyrants Momentum, gives more % damage while lowering Lethal Tempo's duration.  But Since Lethal Tempo refreshes the other stacks when it triggers it should provide more dmg if you can maintain it.  So  more % dmg trait.

Deathless courage, a trait only useful for not going down when you otherwise would.  So if you time your activation of Crashing Courage to align with when you're about to go down, you won't for another 4 seconds.  I'd say picking a trait based around the idea you've already failed the fight is not a great choice.  But that's just my opinion.

There are 9 traits and so many do so little or offer nothing interesting in terms of mixing up the spec.   I hope there are some big adjustments to add variety to the current choices.

Edited by Sonork.2916
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Barraind.7324 said:

You have less group healing!  (How exactly am i healing anyone else with what you previewed?)

You have less group buffing! 

selfish everything, wooo

I think that's kinda the point - guardian naturally has a lot of group support, and taking those traits weakens the group support... but if your build doesn't take those skills, it's not a big deal. However, if you are planning to take party support skills, you probably won't want to take the traits that reduce the effectiveness of that party support.

And if someone ever DOES come up with a support willbender build, they can still run the middle trait and maybe trade some of their damage stats for durability stats in their gear to compensate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I think that's kinda the point - guardian naturally has a lot of group support, and taking those traits weakens the group support... but if your build doesn't take those skills, it's not a big deal. However, if you are planning to take party support skills, you probably won't want to take the traits that reduce the effectiveness of that party support.

And if someone ever DOES come up with a support willbender build, they can still run the middle trait and maybe trade some of their damage stats for durability stats in their gear to compensate.

If someone wanted to make a support willbender he would not chose any of those traits and leave the slot empty XD

And if someone wanted to support on guard he would not chose willbender, like really, dh doesn't have party support nerfs but you don't play support dh lol.

• Thanks 1

This spec looks tailored for PvP and turns guard into a revenant. I do not think it is going to compete in PvE group content with fb / dh but it looks fun to play.

I will check the values in pvp (especially cds) because they are so scary. With all of guards core skills it is going to be a challenge to kill one.

The new mechanics could be hard to grasp and get value from at release. It looks like they trying to keep condi builds available on this spec so it could end up being an hybrid.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tseison.4659 said:

I think using “insane” mobility is a bit too misleading as Daredevils will always be on top of having the most “insane” mobility, dodges etc… in the game. 

Of course we’re getting more information today on the skills + traits, but just because you see one semi-long dash in the video doesn’t automatically mean they have crazy mobility that everyone should be worried about. 

Just my opinion though ✌️

I get what you were saying. Although I seemed to have been right. Willbender looks absolutely crazy. 😂

Based on the Twitch thus far, i think the Willbender's outcome will be similar with Warrior's Spellbreaker. Only suitable for PvP. Not in any way for PvE. I maybe wrong though. I was flabbergasted nothing was spoken about that low Vitality by the staff aka "waterbender".  The Utilities spinning kick skill reminded me of street fighter Ryu and Ken.... awkward.

Edited by yLoon.5289
  • Like 1

You all forgettin' one thing, this is condi meta, you cant just disengage from it, thieves have stealth so they can fully run away so to speak, this one does not have any condi cleanse, not even fury buff, and grandmaster traits are all about taking a lot and giving so much less. 

Most skills are for stuns and every class has almost passive stability, stability on dodge stability on something...I dont know, I am maybe too negative but willbender is maybe affective at large mobs (HoT little dinosaur farming revenge) but on 1v1 it might kill only a dragonhunter 😄

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/14/2021 at 10:34 AM, Kanto.2485 said:

And if someone wanted to support on guard he would not chose willbender

I had a weird idea, what if Flowing Resolve is affected by Battle Presence? Would it trigger an aoe heal for every 5th hit you do or would it give everyone near you the ability to heal on their 5th hit? If it's the latter it wouldn't matter about outgoing heals as it's the allies own healing power

Edited by GoingMenthol.7281

4 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

I was not aware that one of the Willbender passives is "Can't use other Guardian skills, or certain runes and sigils". Thanks for the info.

I am sorry but todays necro/rev/mesm/ele/engie can fart more condi that I can even cleanse and I have like 3 cleanses equipped plus tome of resolve and I can still suffer to condi dmg. If willbender with bers/mara gear will do awesome dmg it will be viable, without massive dmg those escape options wont do much for guardian class. 

After looking at the traits, this is a NON-Guardian Guardian. Completely selfish in play style. You guys are doing the opposite of what you should be doing with this class. I'm very disappointed at a loss of potential.

The guardian should be selfless, selfless is a virtue, selfish is a vice, there is a difference, one is good the other is evil.

"Boon Pact: You gain concentration, but any boons you apply to allies have a reduced duration. "  ... this is not Guardian way

"Power for Power:, Your toughness is reduced, but you gain the same amount in power. " ... Guardians should be humble and provide to their allies as a cohesive unit

"Concealed Curate: Outgoing healing potency is reduced, but healing power is increased." ... The Guardian should aid the weak, so the unit remains stronger.  This should be a boon to others.

the other traits NOT LISTED are at least to some degree are reasonable

"Phoenix Protocol: Gain alacrity and regeneration when resolve's effect triggers, but you no longer heal. Resolve has a modified duration. "  -- your virtues should be actual virtues not a vice on life.

"Tyrants Ambition: Lethal Tempo grants increased damage, but has reduced duration. Justice's duration is modified. " ... this is not the act of a loyal virtuous protector but the undisciplined emotional rage of an Oni.

"Deathless Courage: Killing a foe extends the duration of Courage up to the maximum duration. You cannot be downed while Courage is active. Crashing Courage no longer grants aegis, and its initial duration is reduced. " ... this is not the Guardian way, this is Murder-hoboism.

Edited by Tungsten Monarch.6058
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Darknicrofia.2604 said:

I know relying on Runes is bad and could pigeon hole the build into another "Trapper runes carry DH" meta but if we get a good Rune of the Willbender effect it could cover up a lot of the spec's current weakness.

Something like +Power, +Ferocity and condi removal on Physical Skill use.

Guards in pvp have always relied strongly on runes. For dps guards it would always be a 25% speed rune for dh trapper for shout support its soldiers the only one that had some freedom was FB support and thats it.

5 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

I am really hoping it won't - if it doesn, the guardian hate everywhere will be unbearable.....

I dont think anet will leave several trait to be literally useless without tell ppl meaning that newer player you pick the trait thinking it does something.

If thats the case they should atleast ahve an ingame warning.

Edited by Exile.8160

24 minutes ago, Exile.8160 said:

I dont think anet will leave several trait to be literally useless without tell ppl meaning that newer player you pick the trait thinking it does something.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am very sure they will adapt Battle presence to do "something" within new system. What I am hoping for tho is that this adaptation won't make the alacrity shared to teammates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I am very sure they will adapt Battle presence to do "something" within new system. What I am hoping for tho is that this adaptation won't make the alacrity shared to teammates.

True and I agree. Tho I dont think it would be that gamebreaking since renegade already has an aoe alacrity.