The Virtuoso: Traits Discussion

Tseison.4659

For a pure power dps spec (the "condi option" is laughable) this seems really lackluster, especially dps wise. Considering how much defensive aspects you give up (insta f3 cast, insta f4 cast, no distort on f4, you HAVE to use the distortion utility. you need to use condi cleanse utilities too, etc.).

In comparison to harbinger and willbender the virtuose really got the least impressive and useful set imo. Necro can go power dps, condi dps or full on boon support. Willbender will be a nightmare to face in pvp and wvw due to tons of mobility skills, anti death skills and tons of CC and dps. Virtuoso has nowhere near as much cc or control conditions and ZERO mobility. Why not give us an offhand dagger with some mobility skills too?

I hope they will change things from the beta onwards.

I'm most looking forward to interactions of other traits and skills with Virtuoso. Like signet of illusions will be more useful for constant blade generation or traits for a blade on dodge, etc. Build crafting will be fun but I hope the power will also be good.

Edited by Sodeni.6041
  • Like 2

Seems almost too fair for the enemy lol clear animations and proj based stuff which is imo good design overall but that would require other builds to be very fair also.

I think its gonna be a beast in pve and maybe ok in pvp but in blobs it will prpb suffer from all the proj hate. Prob tailored more to roaming.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Deadly Blades - scrap it, we already have ton of vulnerability on domination. - blades are unblockable vs movement impared targets or something alike, or +120 power +120 power if dagger is equiped.

Mental Focus - makes no sense, +15% damage if more than 600 range. (and even that seems kind of bad)

Jagged Mind - a duplicate trait, that's so lazy, sharper image is enough. Replace with something clever.

Phantasmal Blade - we saw that one in action with Karl, 1500 dmg each phantasm, not bad with double zerkers, everything else is lackluster. Why fury? Three Major Masters with the same boon.

Sharpening Sorrow - why fury again? expertise part is fine I guess for condi users.

Infinite Forge - trash tier. Replace with 5 blades F1 create a Deep Wound. Deep Wound is a new condition that reduces 20% maximum hp. Deep Wound is applied before damage.

Plenty of stuff to improve, change those traits with some useful stuff, you know, cc and mobility! We're supposed to be ranged!

Edited by Lincolnbeard.1735
Infinite Forge idea
  • Like 3

I'm liking everyone's suggestions for some of the traits that should/need to be replaced, but definitely write those down and save them for the feedback thread so we all can compile them together. I for one hope we get a 25% movement speed trait like what the Willbender got.

• Like 2

Lol hate to say I told you so but to those who thought traits were going to make a huge difference this is just a huge slap in the face. Based on the utilities we got and the skills we have it is pretty difficult to make it GOOD without it being "overpowered" in most people's eyes especially when it comes to mesmer anything. 

Looking at necro e-spec and guardian e-spec Virtuoso pales in comparison to those 2. 

I hate to agree to the guy who says Virtuoso is basically the class that all mesmer haters want and nothing mesmer mains can use.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Tseison.4659 said:

I'm liking everyone's suggestions for some of the traits that should/need to be replaced, but definitely write those down and save them for the feedback thread so we all can compile them together. I for one hope we get a 25% movement speed trait like what the Willbender got.

I suggested give it a realiable source to gain superpeed often or some mobility.  Obviously they don't want ot give it to this specialization. And having already a 25% movement speed in the Chronomancer trait line, i discard it now. But well... hopes are hopes... We are free to hope a lot.   

I don't see them reworking things for now while they are working in the next specializations to release.  Maybe for the 4th beta test if they open a feedback thread after the beta test "and want"  improve it we can get something.  But if not, they'll only tweak numbers. And this specializations seems to be built completely around its dps and numbers... sadly.

But well, we can try to give them ideas and watch if they are ignored as usual or be have luck and get something better.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Zoser.7245 said:

I suggested give it a realiable source to gain superpeed often or some mobility.  Obviously they don't want ot give it to this specialization. And having already a 25% movement speed in the Chronomancer trait line, i discard it now. But well... hopes are hopes... We are free to hope a lot.   

When compared alongside Chronomancer and Mirage, I feel like Virtuoso deserves to be the least mobile. That might be very inconvenient but that's life.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

When compared alongside Chronomancer and Mirage, I feel like Virtuoso deserves to be the least mobile. That might be very inconvenient but that's life.

Actually that is the exact opposite to what it should be, the fact that Virtuoso has no clones whatsoever serving a distraction from you casting should be offset with mobility or speed. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Actually that is the exact opposite to what it should be, the fact that Virtuoso has no clones whatsoever serving a distraction from you casting should be offset with mobility or speed. 

I'm sorry, but that's a bs-argument. Clones don't serve any distraction against somewhat capable opponents.

The time theme on Chrono justifies the movement speed. And the trickery and evasiveness does justify stuff like Superspeed on Mirage. Virtuoso on the other hand is a straight forward glass cannon. The lack in mobility and evasiveness is its weakness.

Edited by Xaylin.1860
its and it's
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Seems I got one of the traits right, on some other thread - phantasmal blade, seems bad tho.

Tbf, mirage was also patheticly bad on beta, so there's hope.

actually mirage wasnt bad in beta, it was clearly broken already (for condi purposes), and the only buff that made sense at that point was the increased ambush window after dodge for better tactical uses instead just braindead spam as fast as possible after a dodge (what wouldnt even be an issue for the passive condi ambushes, lit the only buff that added skill cap and did something good for power mirage in history).

• Like 1

Just now, Xaylin.1860 said:

I'm sorry, but that's a bs-argument. Clones don't serve any distraction against somewhat capable opponents.

The time theme on Chrono justifies the movement speed. And the trickery and evasiveness does justify stuff like Superspeed. Virtuoso on the other hand is a straight forward glass cannon. The lack in mobility and evasiveness is it's weakness.

Its funny how you say straight forward glass cannon when the dmg is weaker then core mesmer itself is kinda hilarious. 5 blades to equal to a core 1 clone and IP is not glass cannon. As far as elite goes I mean that is the only "glass cannon" thing virtuoso provides and even then it get a nerf before release.

Just now, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Its funny how you say straight forward glass cannon when the dmg is weaker then core mesmer itself is kinda hilarious. 5 blades to equal to a core 1 clone and IP is not glass cannon. As far as elite goes I mean that is the only "glass cannon" thing virtuoso provides and even then it get a nerf before release.

If there is anything NOT to judge an e-spec by that is currently is in developement, it's their current damage numbers. ANet clearly wants it to be a damage spec. The numbers being under- or overtuned is the easiest issue to resolve until release.

And if it wasn't a damage spec, what do you personally think it was? There is nothing else there. 

3 minutes ago, JazzXman.7018 said:

actually mirage wasnt bad in beta, it was clearly broken already (for condi purposes), and the only buff that made sense at that point was the increased ambush window after dodge for better tactical uses instead just braindead spam as fast as possible after a dodge (what wouldnt even be an issue for the passive condi ambushes, lit the only buff that added skill cap and did something good for power mirage in history).

Several stuff got buffed. Axe skills, Jaunt, MC and ambush on top of mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

If there is anything NOT to judge an e-spec by that is currently is in developement, it's their current damage numbers. ANet clearly wants it to be a damage spec. The numbers being under- or overtuned is the easiest issue to resolve until release.

And if it wasn't a damage spec, what do you personally think it was? There is nothing else there. 

Anet clearly wants this to be the spec for non mesmer player, either to try out the cool new visual with no clone management or give people in pvp an easy farm

• Like 3

Just now, rune.9572 said:

virtuoso is worse than core mesmer don't @ me

Actually dmg number wise yes the fact that especs lock you down to using the espec trait doesnt allow room for much compared to core. 

Core you are able to get dmg as well as either taking chaos or insp traitline depending on what you are lacking.

I do hope that the dmg for virtuoso gets tweaked but the fact that its ranged it most likely will not, again because its 1200 range skills.

• Sad 1