Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I think you're confusing obtuse with tongue-in-cheek.

It should be pretty clear by now that Altonese likes to make humorously bold statements.

I don't see a burden of proof on anyone here. It's a forum, we say what we think. No one's going to "win" with the ultimate argument. You don't find "the skins are already in the game so it shouldn't be a ton of work" convincing. Other's do. That's pretty much as far as we can go without direct ANet input.

Pretty much this. I've yet to see an argument against that's not some form of 'I'd just like people to be unhappy because I have social issues or issues I never thought to deal with'.

Amount of time? Effort? not wanting the 'aesthetic', is all disproven with Anet's -recent- work, nevermind legacy. Yes, I want swimsuits, but my reasons are rooted in common sense and not spite or some weird idea that somehow introducing to players what is already in the game is coocoo crazy.

Though the only thing Gibson got wrong is thus; I've won this thread, every time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Here's the data:

Before Anet introduced miniature claim ticket.

A mini Kasmeer - 50g

A mini Southsun Kasmeer - 350g

I can confirm.. i paid 300g for mine.... >_>
Now she's as cheap as a friday night takeaway. feels bad man.

Edited by Smoosh.2718
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Pretty much this. I've yet to see an argument against that's not some form of 'I'd just like people to be unhappy because I have social issues or issues I never thought to deal with'.

Amount of time? Effort? not wanting the 'aesthetic', is all disproven with Anet's -recent- work, nevermind legacy. Yes, I want swimsuits, but my reasons are rooted in common sense and not spite or some weird idea that somehow introducing to players what is already in the game is coocoo crazy.

Though the only thing Gibson got wrong is thus; I've won this thread, every time.

You think you win every time. Think only.

Many do not wish to post or rebut you unless they want to turn this into a 50 page topic only to see who wins, that is whoever gets the last say in this, Yes or No, sorry i mean only Yes poll. You reminded me of someone in one of my guilds, she has to have the last say on even the smallest and most trivial of all things or jokes. So many of us just... Let Her Win. Same here. You 'win'.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Mil.3562 said:

You think you win every time. Think only.

Many do not wish to post or rebut you unless they want to turn this into a 50 page topic only to see who wins, that is whoever gets the last say in this, Yes or No, sorry i mean only Yes poll. You reminded me of someone in one of my guilds, she has to have the last say on even the smallest and most trivial of all things or jokes. So many of us just... Let Her Win. Same here. You 'win'.

Default is the best kind of win. I think I'm a winner, my mom says I'm a winner, you said I'm a winner, so, winner is me. All I do is win. Except not, because the actual win would be Anet releasing the Swimsuit Outfit using the designs they've already made, with the assets they have, for the money they could make.

Also what is everyone's deal with my poll. It's straight forward, and you have like 5 answers to pick from, it could not be more simple or allow for a wider range of Logical* views.

Edited by Altonese.6542
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

I would love swimsuits, personally, other than the default underwear - or if not, then would love to be able to even just change the color of the underwear to make it a little more personalized. In any case, it'd be lovely to be able to change into a proper swimsuit outfit on beaches for screenshot ops, or just to chill and  run around in places like the beaches of Labyrinthine Cliffs, Grothmar Valley beaches etc. I don't even do proper roleplaying but would appreciate a little bit of immersion and would be ready to pay some money for it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kaukomieli.6740 said:

I would love swimsuits, personally, other than the default underwear - or if not, then would love to be able to even just change the color of the underwear to make it a little more personalized. In any case, it'd be lovely to be able to change into a proper swimsuit outfit on beaches for screenshot ops, or just to chill and  run around in places like the beaches of Labyrinthine Cliffs, Grothmar Valley beaches etc. I don't even do proper roleplaying but would appreciate a little bit of immersion and would be ready to pay some money for it!

Well, the thing is that for years we have been posting countless threads requesting for a swimwear or the options to dye our undies, yet to-date we still have nothing. I would pay for a swimsuit even if it cost much more than an outfit. But, apparently money is not what they are looking at.

And as for the dying of undies, it could be something that is too complicated or impossible to do?  Another thing about outfits is I believe their biggest concern is seeing 50 players in swimwear fighting meta bosses lol. Maybe they will come up with a way to prevent that.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

And as for the dying of undies, it could be something that is too complicated or impossible to do?  Another thing about outfits is I believe their biggest concern is seeing 50 players in swimwear fighting meta bosses lol. Maybe they will come up with a way to prevent that.

I expect that would happen A) for a short while after swimsuits are released and B) on an organized event (like when guilds have organized all-Asura zergs)(Beach Blanket Boss Battle!). On the whole, I'd expect we'd settle into a normal of a handful of people in a given boss event in their swimwear. Kinda like you see a person here or there with their quaggan backpack, or in a t-shirt and cargo shorts, or wearing a Vampirella lich outfit now that those things are old hat.

Some people probably want to run around the world fighting dragons wearing as little as possible. As far as I can tell, a larger number want as many spikes, glows, and flames as possible. They won't want to give that up for a tasteful swimsuit. At least not for very long.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mil.3562 said:

Again, this is a weird stipulation. Like Gibson said, this is not likely to ever happen to begin with. Some people may rock the outfit in world bosses, most won't, since they like their other outfits. Why does anything need to be done to prevent it - There's no way to prevent 50 people fighting the Shatterer in Magical girl dresses or some absolutely terrible transmute outfit with hideous colors,but that's not an issue apparently.

Not even trying to be confrontational, I literally don't get why this divide exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

There's no way to prevent 50 people fighting the Shatterer in Magical girl dresses or some absolutely terrible transmute outfit with hideous colors,but that's not an issue apparently.

Now I actually want to see the Pretty Pink Princess zerg take on the Shatterer.

It makes me want to see a lot more of these kinds of events, actually. There should be an all-Kodan take down of the Claw of Jormag. An all-Watchknight defeat of the Shadow Behemoth. An Awakened Archer attack on the Legendary Doppelganger.

If only I was more inclined to organize community things. Think of the potential!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I was thinking, and I don't remember the conversation so far mentioning more.... practical, I guess, swim wear. It'd be nice to have some wetsuit inspired skins. I expect the wonderful designers at ArenaNet could come up with some interesting outifts or armor that cover a significant portion of the body but still look like they are made for underwater.

An Asura tech back item that looks like a personal propeller would be cool. A suit of something that fits snug, but maybe looks like a water shedding weave (rather than very contemporary knit lycra). Maybe a fantasy appropriate flipper-like shoe. There's the potential for some great looks while exploring the deep sounds of the Shiverpeaks or the murkey underwater structures of Orr.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Now that we’ve seen more of the skiffs, swimsuits are a must! Anchored swimming platform! Maybe we could have a cannonball emote off the side with a huge splash.

Literally an essential need at this point. Swimsuits are 100% required to fully enjoy Skiffs and Fishing or it mine as well be considered an incomplete feature.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Now that we’ve seen more of the skiffs, swimsuits are a must! Anchored swimming platform! Maybe we could have a cannonball emote off the side with a huge splash.

I was thinking the exact same thing. There's just so many adding factors to the fact that Swimsuits, and Anet not implementing them, is just more and more mind boggling and illogical.

• Like 6

On 9/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, Altonese.6542 said:

(...)

Amount of time? Effort? not wanting the 'aesthetic', is all disproven with Anet's -recent- work, nevermind legacy. (...)

They gave severe penalties to Players when wanting to fight without clothes in PVP (anywhere else it was always dependant on armour anyways of course). Seems like they didn't want this trolly behaviour with almost naked characters.

Or diving goggles or the dressroom in Southsun... which don't allow fighting at all.

I am happy Anets acts seems to support my wish for it not to become usable infight.

Does not mean, of course, other options of intrudoction. Like tonics. So while would support swimsuits, I think Anet would implement them accordingly.

Edited by Megametzler.5729
  • Confused 2

I haven’t been to  Southsun Cove in ages. Yesterday I made it there to fight the Karka Queen (hurray for final central mastery point!). After the fight, I wandered a bit to harvest passiflora for the daily, and wound up on the beach. There were actually players chilling out in their swimsuits!

Well, no, not really. They were chilling out in their skivvies, since the beach makes your clothes invisible automatically.

But it was cool to see that players do, in fact, like to hang at the beach. Which means swimsuits would, in fact, be useful.

It also reminded me that the game can be coded to automatically switch our look based on location. Okay, kinda dumb I needed that reminder since it already switches us to the breather when we enter water.

Seems like it would be a short step to allowing us to slot a swimsuit outfit that would become visible on entering the water, since the game already recognizes a cosmetic change at that point. From there, add some more beach areas like Southsun around the world that would also trigger it, and we’d have a smooth swimwear experience that seems like low-hanging fruit development-wise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Apparently, I voted in support of swim suits. I would play a Charr if old-timey swimsuits, including skull cap, where available. Not for long and the minute I need to jump I am back to a humanoid.

Swimsuits aren't as easy as the OP is claiming. The smaller the clothing item, the more apparent clipping becomes. Any problems will be glaring. It would be challenging to monetize swimsuits through the gem store. The per suit price point couldn't be high, other outfits and items have established a general outfit price framing. There would be little sense in offering just one male and one female suit.  There is limited shelf space in the gem store. Swimsuits could take shelf space from more profitable items. They could be released as a bundle though.

Geared towards RP and the environment, NPC vendors may be the best way to deliver a swimsuit collection. As far as I am concerned, swimsuits would be worthwhile just for the excuse to add NPC designers competing for customers. The price framing problem would disappear and a suit could cost 100s of gold. kitten, suits could even be auctioned to the highest bidder.

I think making swimsuits dependent on proximity to water would enhance their narrative.

Edited by Psientist.6437
  • Confused 1

I do know clipping has been a major concern of many forumites about a wide variety of features. It was a major argument against capes for many years.

There seems to be a decent amount of clipping in game, though. While it seems to be a major concern for some players, it doesn’t seem to be a major concern for the devs with outfits.

• Confused 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, Psientist.6437 said:

Swimsuits aren't as easy as the OP is claiming. The smaller the clothing item, the more apparent clipping becomes. Any problems will be glaring. It would be challenging to monetize swimsuits through the gem store.

Are you sure about this? I was thinking about it, and in my limited experience it seems like with outfits that roughly follow the character model, it's easier to avoid clipping. When I think of serious clipping issues, it's usually when clothing is heavily shaped, like folds and bunches of fabric. Especially when those items start interacting with each other.

In other modeling software I've worked with, it's usually hair and blousy/drapey items that have the clipping issues.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Are you sure about this? I was thinking about it, and in my limited experience it seems like with outfits that roughly follow the character model, it's easier to avoid clipping. When I think of serious clipping issues, it's usually when clothing is heavily shaped, like folds and bunches of fabric. Especially when those items start interacting with each other.

In other modeling software I've worked with, it's usually hair and blousy/drapey items that have the clipping issues.

This sounds abut right. On top of that, clipping is like... It's just a part of outfits and equipment in this game, depending on the piece and your character's race. 'It clips' isn't a good reason to deny swimsuits.

Also the fact is, after enjoying some Festival time, going to the 'change tent' and turning in to underwear - There's no way Anet is 'against swimsuits'.

Should it just be a gemstore outfit? Yes. Make money, Anet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

This sounds abut right. On top of that, clipping is like... It's just a part of outfits and equipment in this game, depending on the piece and your character's race. 'It clips' isn't a good reason to deny swimsuits.

Also the fact is, after enjoying some Festival time, going to the 'change tent' and turning in to underwear - There's no way Anet is 'against swimsuits'.

Should it just be a gemstore outfit? Yes. Make money, Anet.

Pointing out challenges isn't denying. Let's not get carried away. Clipping may be a small challenge. Monetizing through the gem store is a bigger challenge. Swimsuits would need to compete for shelf space. However, the gem exchange exists and swimsuits would still generate income if offered through NPCs for gold. I wish votes is all it took to get content made but I am also realistic. About this at least.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Psientist.6437 said:

Pointing out challenges isn't denying. Let's not get carried away. Clipping may be a small challenge. Monetizing through the gem store is a bigger challenge. Swimsuits would need to compete for shelf space. However, the gem exchange exists and swimsuits would still generate income if offered through NPCs for gold. I wish votes is all it took to get content made but I am also realistic. About this at least.

Tell me more about shelf space. This isn’t something I have knowledge of. What are the limitations in a digital store?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm just wondering how you could have an issue with thread about duels while you actively take part in... this. Which is just repeated kitten for the past 9 (out of 11) pages -hilariously enough, mainly by OP and you. 🙃

I wouldn’t read to much into my contributions there. I respond to far to many threads on these forums. It’s become clear to me though, that I’ve given the impression I care about dueling a lot more than I actually do. My bad.

To be fair, though, we have a better chance, no matter how small, that ArenaNet will implement swimsuits than that they will add open world dueling. 😄

• Like 1