Home Fractals/Dungeons/Strike Missions/Raids

Bobby Stein (dev) comment on Raid

13>

Comments

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:
    You expected raids to be treated as something special, something similar to WvW and SPvP (but with far better dev support than those).

Never expected them to be treated as something special though, not really sure how you came up with that idea.

On one side, you get riled at people treating Raids differently than a lot of niche content that have no dedicated devs, and no set release schedule. On the other, you specifically bemoan the fact that raid devs were working also on other projects, and wanted them to have not only a set release schedule, but a frequent one at that.

Don't you see how these two approaches are in direct conflict with each other?

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Sykper.6583Sykper.6583 Member ✭✭✭

I can't help but feel this is yet another blow to GW2 as a whole. Another 'system' being shuddered, someone earlier put it best when describing the 'mounting cost' of the game.

Thinking back to HoT announcement and release I can't help but wonder if Arenanet 'baited' the veterans of the community, people who sought a challenge and were speedrunning Arah with something different. Raids might have been their answer, and having an expansion bring about all these features from Elite Specs, Gliding, post-leveling introduction of masteries, general difficulty spike and so forth were an initial drive for Anet.

My speculation now that Bobby's made it clear (or at least as clear as non-announcements are)? I think Arenanet didn't expect Raids to be so well-liked by a good participation, after the initial Forsaken Thicket Wings 1 to 3. They put themselves into a bind because they underestimated the investment into Raid development, and I suppose the Reputation of 'Raiding' in an MMO might have muddled their game's focuses in PvE which is odd since there wasn't anything outside of Open World other than Fractals.

100% believe that Arenanet can and should still try to make Raids. Because once they showed they know how to make such encounters, it opened a Pandora's box where they underestimated the number of players wanting it, and overestimated their capacity to deliver. And since there's no development the players in the game who aren't getting raids, whole guilds, whole segments of the population lost interest in GW2 as a whole.

And not for a lack of trying, the Community had definitely done everything we could to foster raiding but they won't spend anymore resources on it. This is something Arenanet did to themselves.