I know what you are thinking. NO.
I get it.
However I think Guild wars 2 is a fantastic game but the way they have done combat has sort of elimanted "strategy"
We currenly have a soft trinity.
Some characters can tank.. however usually those characters dont seem like they should be the ones tanking.
Some build are better for buffing.
However because everyone can heal themselves, because everyone can rez, because every specialization can dps things are a bit "all over the place"
1. this makes the game incrediblyl hard to balance.
2. I personally believe that most people are still smashing buttons because you rarely have to strategize.
3. While we do work togethr oftern in gw2 its almost too passive.
4. everything is too fast and it feels a bit like a mess.
What would the holy trinty do for guild wars 2.
SLOW IT DOWN.
I love action combat its great.
But when i wanted to create a support character with my weaver i'm mostly healing by doing dps.
or some random skill is giving someone might. or i'm giving a aura because of a passive.
-- SO if we wanted to create a tempest spec that honored the holy trinity how would it be different.
1. We would instead have a skill called " Radiant Aura" it would have a cool down and it would switch its effects based on what attunement you were in. This changes aura quite a bit from being passively applied to being purposely appllied. You would have to decide when would be the best time to place that specific attuned aura to a team mate.
Lets compare that to what we have now.
How do we apply auras... well..
there are like a thousand ways lol. you can get critally hit. you can use one of the shouts. you can do some dps with a flashy tornado skin.
applying auras is currently passive.
This changes a lot of other things as well.
Notice that in guild wars 2 there is a visual hot mess clutter of graphic effects especially when fighting big bosses. well thats becausse most people are using their skills to dps the boss in order to passivley help there team.
Now with these more specific choices you have to make. you are popping less auras because you have to decide who needs it when.
Now we have to get rid of that heal skill that we all have.
oof people are going to hate me for this. but as a warrior you should be tough you should be able to take hits but you shouldnt be able to provide a full heal to yourself.
The heal button kind of destroys class identity and class neccessity.
you should still be able to solo things but it should be much more easy to solo things with your buddy who enjoys support.
oh and pvp.. gurl the level of strategy it would bring to not just ranked.. but wvw.. gurrrrrrl.
gw2 is a fun game.. but it could be amazing they just need to revamp combat so people arent all doing the same thing.