Longbow rangers/soulbeasts is the most unfun experience I ever had in a long time playing this game. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Ranger

Longbow rangers/soulbeasts is the most unfun experience I ever had in a long time playing this game.

Aikon.6140Aikon.6140 Member ✭✭
edited March 30, 2021 in Ranger

I wonder why 80% of players I see roaming in wvw are Rangers or Soulbeast, that class seriously need a complete rework for wvw.
They have stealth, survivability, mobility, no sense burst damage, and all of this while standing 2km far from target, they can even outchase you while in mount with super speed.

<1

Comments

• Aikon.6140Aikon.6140 Member ✭✭

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    I sure hope ur icon isn't the class u play if so.... lolz. Imagine complaining about a class that has a niche role in wvw and isn't meta in pvp while playing a class that has a top meta build in every mode.
    Seriously.

I love how everybody that needs to defend their broken class can only argue with saying "my class is not broken, your is!".
    And btw no, I'm not FB player, I play chrono tank, daredevil staff, Core guardian hammer, and sometimes DH.

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aikon.6140 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    I sure hope ur icon isn't the class u play if so.... lolz. Imagine complaining about a class that has a niche role in wvw and isn't meta in pvp while playing a class that has a top meta build in every mode.
    Seriously.

I love how everybody that needs to defend their broken class can only argue with saying "my class is not broken, your is!".
    And btw no, I'm not FB player, I play chrono tank, daredevil staff, Core guardian hammer, and sometimes DH.

Well, you should consider firebrand over that list of second and third string stuff.
    You might find soulbeast more balanced.

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• Aikon.6140Aikon.6140 Member ✭✭

@aspirine.6852 said:
    But burn guards are fine right :D

WHO THE kitten SAID THAT BURN GUARD ARE FINE kitten

• Diku.2546Diku.2546 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021

@Aikon.6140 said:
    I wonder why 80% of players I see roaming in wvw are Rangers or Soulbeast, that class seriously need a complete rework for wvw.
    They have stealth, survivability, mobility, no sense burst damage, and all of this while standing 2km far from target, they can even outchase you while in mount with super speed.

If it's that good...

Stop being part of the 20%. Play Ranger...imho

Anyone saying a class is OP....should just play it themselves...and enjoy being OP.

3 Ways to deal with the flow of water (change & conflict).

1) Block the water like a dam - Until the water pressure flows over you & breaks past you.

2) Float on the water like a leaf - Moving with the flow, and letting the current take you where ever it goes.

3) Stand firm like a water plant - Moving with the flow, but not letting the current take you where ever it goes...find your roots & keep yourself planted.

Adapt & move with things...be the water plant.

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

Yours truly,
    Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89449/wvg-world-vs-globes/p1

• Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

Amazing, every word of what you just said was wrong.

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭✭

The purpose of the mount isn't to be faster than all possible player builds on foot.

It's to save "slow" builds without reliable access to swiftness from being absolutely run over by any size of group.

• @ASP.8093 said:
    The purpose of the mount isn't to be faster than all possible player builds on foot.

It's to save "slow" builds without reliable access to swiftness from being absolutely run over by any size of group.

It definitely doesn’t save you from a group unless you have a decent head start.

Just another WvW lifer who'll never say die... while dying again and again!

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2021

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:
    LB Sic'Em Soulbeast has one of the highest bursts - but also one of the easiest to counter, so it mainly excels at killing bad and/or unaware players

Pretty much this. The build overwhelms bad players. That's all. Most burst builds can do that, but since ranger can do it from distance, subjectively is feels broken for lots of players, because they hve no clue how to actually get at fighting range.

(and necros i guess).

Only core necro, scourge and glass reapers. Tanky reaper builds are even favored against it. Tons of sic em soulbests chase me on soldier reaper every day because they think I am a freekill. It's the opposite. These are my favorite matchups, because you can smell the arrogance at the beginning of these encounters.

Bunker rangers are broken. Since the class has access to many high multipliers, it hits way to hard in bunker gear combined with broken dolyak stance.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2021

high ranged damage is ok (if not one shot) if its not paired with high mobility.

te lazla otstara.
    fingers crossed meta ~

• UmbraNoctis.1907UmbraNoctis.1907 Member ✭✭✭

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    high ranged damage is ok (if not one shot) if its not paired with high mobility.

Luckily longbow offers zero mobility.

• Arheundel.6451Arheundel.6451 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe in a game where "melee" specs cannot Usain bolt every 8-10s up to 1200 range

-A wise man once said- "Fight cheese with cheese or be cheesed in return, mind not those who will accuse you of being a cheese as they like cheese themselves"

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

soulbeast does

te lazla otstara.
    fingers crossed meta ~

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Maybe in a game where "melee" specs cannot Usain bolt every 8-10s up to 1200 range

most can't lol. rev, thief, engi w/ rocket boots (not common). the light armor classes have a port but after that they can't really stick to you except for mirage.

te lazla otstara.
    fingers crossed meta ~

edited March 21, 2021

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

soulbeast does

When using an overall subpar pet, yes. And it still is only 1 leap every 10-18s.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

most can't lol. rev, thief, engi w/ rocket boots (not common). the light armor classes have a port but after that they can't really stick to you except for mirage.

If that one extra leap from soulbeast counts as "high mobility", then any class has access to high mobility builds, as they all have access to more than one leap/port (and it doesn't even need to be some niche "rocket boots" build).

Aside from this, if a ranger wants to pew pew you, he has to face you, which inevitably limits the mobility and even just dodging towards or walking with some block/reflect up will close the gap quickly. LB is not great for kiting and a ranger is usually forced to swap to a melee set, if someone comes close. Neither on core melee ranger nor on dagger LR weaver i have troubles sticking to (and killing) LB soulbeasts, unless they just run, but then they won't put any pressure on me. But on both builds i can absolutely get kited to death by other classes/builds, and some of those don't even need leaps or ports.

Mounts can also be used to close the gap without having to expend any cooldowns. Or just use terrain to your advantage and force the ranger to come towards you.

Rangers do have some broken things at their disposal, but longbow is not one of them.

edited March 22, 2021

it hits way to hard in bunker gear

The irony coming from a necro....

-A wise man once said- "Fight cheese with cheese or be cheesed in return, mind not those who will accuse you of being a cheese as they like cheese themselves"

@UmbraNoctis.1907 said:
    If that one extra leap from soulbeast counts as "high mobility"

i never said soulbeast has high mobility

te lazla otstara.
    fingers crossed meta ~

@Arheundel.6451 said:
    Engi can play scrapper meta zerg, or prot holo AoE grenade spammer.....revs still have cancer herald, pewpew renegade, herald, ventari bunker......thieves have perma stealth, immobilize cancer DE, perma evade s/d.....on ele I can have superspeed, LF and LR if I can or FGS....necros have basically permasuperspeed if using speed runes + a dash on 8s CD.....mesmers have blink, jaunt, staff .

Ranger gets loads of prominence only on the wvw forum, it get laughed at in actual game, and basically almost laughed at during AT...almost...given how the last AT saw the ranger being in perma downstate; the class is strong when used by a decent player otherwise it's the easiest class to kill after maybe pve staff ele

ok. none of this is really addressing what i said so i don't know what to tell you.

te lazla otstara.
    fingers crossed meta ~

• bigo.9037bigo.9037 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:
    Engi can play scrapper meta zerg, or prot holo AoE grenade spammer.....revs still have cancer herald, pewpew renegade, herald, ventari bunker......thieves have perma stealth, immobilize cancer DE, perma evade s/d.....on ele I can have superspeed, LF and LR if I can or FGS....necros have basically permasuperspeed if using speed runes + a dash on 8s CD.....mesmers have blink, jaunt, staff .

Ranger gets loads of prominence only on the wvw forum, it get laughed at in actual game, and basically almost laughed at during AT...almost...given how the last AT saw the ranger being in perma downstate; the class is strong when used by a decent player otherwise it's the easiest class to kill after maybe pve staff ele

ok. none of this is really addressing what i said so i don't know what to tell you.

He's pointed out to you that the ability to run away may be a bit... Overrated in the broader spectrum of combat attributes.
    All classes have lots of mobility options, they just aren't taken as there's better options.

Here's a problem we've had discussing rangers before.
    Soulbeast has a burst not "high ranged damage". There's clear indicators when the damage buffs or unblockables are in play.
    Outside of that short window with a long cooldown, longbow's numbers are fairly meager.

uhhhh with the right traitlines soulbeast actually has the highest single target burst dps in the game by a mile lol. but you do sacrifice utility and sustain for that damage. if you don’t pick said traitlines, the dmg won’t be nearly as high.

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

He's pointed out to you that the ability to run away may be a bit... Overrated in the broader spectrum of combat attributes.
    All classes have lots of mobility options, they just aren't taken as there's better options.

Soulbeast has a burst not "high ranged damage". There's clear indicators when the damage buffs or unblockables are in play.
    Outside of that short window with a long cooldown, longbow's numbers are fairly meager.

uhhhh with the right traitlines soulbeast actually has the highest single target burst dps in the game by a mile lol. but you do sacrifice utility and sustain for that damage. if you don’t pick said traitlines, the dmg won’t be nearly as high.

What part of my statement are you disputing?

@LetoII.3782 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

i wouldn’t say longbow numbers are meager when soulbeast traits for damage. it’s possible to 100-0 squishy medium armor classes with a single RF without sicem or owp. i don’t know any other ranged weapon that can do the same ..

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

i wouldn’t say longbow numbers are meager when soulbeast traits for damage. it’s possible to 100-0 squishy medium armor classes with a single RF without sicem or owp. i don’t know any other ranged weapon that can do the same ..

Killshot comes pretty close in one shot potential, glass soulbeast vs glass berseker...the ranger must be extra careful not be one shotted himself, otherwise glass DH and DE can hit pretty hard from distance too, not one shot meme like soulbeast glass but nothing to laugh at either

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:
    wouldn’t say longbow numbers are meager when soulbeast traits for damage. it’s possible to 100-0 squishy medium armor classes with a single RF without sicem or owp. i don’t know any other ranged weapon that can do the same ..

Killshot comes pretty close in one shot potential, glass soulbeast vs glass berseker...the ranger must be extra careful not be one shotted himself, otherwise glass DH and DE can hit pretty hard from distance too, not one shot meme like soulbeast glass but nothing to laugh at either

can't soulbeast still stack 25 might in wvw?

te lazla otstara.
    fingers crossed meta ~

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Soulbeast has a burst not "high ranged damage". There's clear indicators when the damage buffs or un1blockables are in play.

Well, I can think of at least 4.
    And ill need to see a video of you globalling somebody unbuffed on your wilderness survival build before i believe it. ;P

@LetoII.3782 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Soulbeast has a burst not "high ranged damage". There's clear indicators when the damage buffs or un1blockables are in play.

Well, I can think of at least 4.
    And ill need to see a video of you globalling somebody unbuffed on your wilderness survival build before i believe it. ;P

that’s not with wilderness survival lol. i specifically said when soulbeast is traited for damage, not sustain. i don’t think DE can match the damage output but they have their own advantages which i think are pretty obvious.

edited March 29, 2021

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:
    wouldn’t say longbow numbers are meager when soulbeast traits for damage. it’s possible to 100-0 squishy medium armor classes with a single RF without sicem or owp. i don’t know any other ranged weapon that can do the same ..

with templates yea you could easily swap to a warhorn weapon setup, Nature magic trait setup, pop warhorn #5, heal, merge with pet for ez 25 might, then swap back to your regular template. but keep in mind if 1 set has 100% boon duration and your regular set has 0, the boons currently on you will have reduced duration when you swap sets. i mean if i was a tower ranger main i’d probably do that all the time but it requires like 4~s of setup where you have to be ooc so.

you could ofc also just stay on NM and warhorn and have perma boons but eh.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

Absolutely yes, I do run oneshot soulbeast with MM-BM and full zerk weapon-armor and accessory : sic'em + Signet of the Hunt and zephyr's quickness + ofc One wolf pack. A very fun one-trick pony build, tends to die often but can take out important targets during small skirmishes or disorganized pug zergfests.

Killshot warriors are scary because by comparison they can have more "safety nets" with endure pain+defiant stance, a well played ranger can still come on top but....a well played killshot warrior while being considered a meme even more than oneshot sb, should not be taken lightly...the moment you do so and you receive a 10k killshot while you're running

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

Is there any class that cant?

gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

Is there any class that cant?

Thief or Mesmer?

• Lan Deathrider.5910Lan Deathrider.5910 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

Absolutely yes, I do run oneshot soulbeast with MM-BM and full zerk weapon-armor and accessory : sic'em + Signet of the Hunt and zephyr's quickness + ofc One wolf pack. A very fun one-trick pony build, tends to die often but can take out important targets during small skirmishes or disorganized pug zergfests.

Killshot warriors are scary because by comparison they can have more "safety nets" with endure pain+defiant stance, a well played ranger can still come on top but....a well played killshot warrior while being considered a meme even more than oneshot sb, should not be taken lightly...the moment you do so and you receive a 10k killshot while you're running

You don't even need to run a Memeshot build. If the opposing Ranger isn't running Memebeast a warrior can trade blow for blow with Volley vs Rapid Fire and come out on top with a higher health percentage while running Marauder Gear and Durability Runes. Done it plenty of times. Now a full Memebeast build can delete a Memeshot/Memeflame warrior before the warrior can get an F1 off.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

You don't even need to run a Memeshot build. If the opposing Ranger isn't running Memebeast a warrior can trade blow for blow with Volley vs Rapid Fire and come out on top with a higher health percentage while running Marauder Gear and Durability Runes. Done it plenty of times. Now a full Memebeast build can delete a Memeshot/Memeflame warrior before the warrior can get an F1 off.

If you mean to say that rifle deal more dmg than longbow without any special add-on than yeah I'd say so....longbow is more versatile though

• Lan Deathrider.5910Lan Deathrider.5910 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

If you mean to say that rifle deal more dmg than longbow without any special add-on than yeah I'd say so....longbow is more versatile though

Well it is also more to do with high HP/high armor vs medium HP/medium armor in a DPS race with each other using similar coefficient skills sans special add on modifiers. Longbow on both classes is definitely more versatile than rifle, but if a warrior spec'd some condition duration somewhere then that rifle starts to become a different weapon altogether.

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy.

^ Another derailing post - Anet
    Perma stealth is needed to outrun zergs. - Thieves
    /Stomps Mirage-Scourge-Warclaw, boon ball balance! - Anet
    No expansion money as long as Mesmers are trash. - Me

@XenesisII.1540 said:
    Enjoy.

pops heal at 85% hp, diviners with 58% boon duration.... yikes....

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

@bigo.9037 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:
    Enjoy.

lol what does it matter, rangers just have to roll their faces on the keyboard and win with longest range, rapid fire with one wolf pack, maul, boons out the yahoo, immobilize, stealth, and double dashes to outrun just about everything. People run rangers because it's a "safe" class, it only lacks aoes, which their only good one doesn't even need los either.

^ Another derailing post - Anet
    Perma stealth is needed to outrun zergs. - Thieves
    /Stomps Mirage-Scourge-Warclaw, boon ball balance! - Anet
    No expansion money as long as Mesmers are trash. - Me

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:
    Enjoy.

lol what does it matter, rangers just have to roll their faces on the keyboard and win with longest range, rapid fire with one wolf pack, maul, boons out the yahoo, immobilize, stealth, and double dashes to outrun just about everything. People run rangers because it's a "safe" class, it only lacks aoes, which their only good one doesn't even need los either.

i fully agree that boons on soulbeast should be nerfed. but to imply that soulbeast is faceroll is just hilarious. a lot of specs have builds that are extremely heavy on boons.

a soulbeast wasting all their GS skills on nothing is gonna be toast VERY quickly.

just last night i was fighting this guy who was spamming all his evades and sword skills on me while i was barely doing anything. literally blew like 2 utilities and his entire weapon kit on me in like 10s, then proceeded to eat a nice big wombo combo of cc and burst as punishment, only for him to salt whisper me accusing me of speed hacks, very cute.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@bigo.9037 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:
    Enjoy.

lol what does it matter, rangers just have to roll their faces on the keyboard and win with longest range, rapid fire with one wolf pack, maul, boons out the yahoo, immobilize, stealth, and double dashes to outrun just about everything. People run rangers because it's a "safe" class when it sits on towers or inside zergs, it only lacks aoes, which their only good one doesn't even need los either.

Fixed.
    Also don't know what the point of the vid you posted is, first it is possible to make everything look op with some cherry picked wvw montage, second it doesn't even make ranger look particularly great ...

• Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

I love how bad people are in WvW lol, its like the only saving grace of the gamemode

• Gotejjeken.1267Gotejjeken.1267 Member ✭✭✭

I like how the OP disappeared in the early part of the topic, and now we're discussing how niche SB actually is. Like, using a similar build to the one in the vid above (with a few trait tweaks) it is truly a monster in a small group / +1 situation. Roaming though? Awful. Way, way too glassy and all two of your survival / escape options are pretty craptastic compared to a good NM build on either Druid or Core.

So yeah, I run two builds, this one for my groups where I can just kite and destroy people, and then an survival / immob build where I can duel just about anything (except DE's cause that range / escape advantage is nuts).