Alliance Will Be The New Bandwagon — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Alliance Will Be The New Bandwagon

Small guilds will consolidate into maximum population guilds and then those guilds will ally together to create a super alliance which, once in place, all the other smaller weaker alliances wont want to play against and everyone will run to the powerhouse alliance to be on the winning side.

<1

Comments

• Baldrick.8967Baldrick.8967 Member ✭✭✭

Exactly what others have already said in the main thread.

• I wouldn't worry about pugs hopping around. fight guilds will determine things, which is good, cuz if they want competition then they wouldn't band together as there wouldn't be any fights.

you don't know till you know, ya know.

• Hackuuna.4085Hackuuna.4085 Member ✭✭✭

I look forward to when an alliance is formed that is perfectly capable of farming the other alliance and all the internet drama that comes along with that.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

populations has max. so even if there are many alliances, those worlds has a cap.

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭

One huge flaw with that though, it’s called Pop caps also guilds have Roster caps as well, soooo yeah.....

• zinkz.7045zinkz.7045 Member ✭✭✭

@SloRules.3560 said:
    And who has good players? GvG guilds.

That depends on your definition of "good"...

• Aridon.8362Aridon.8362 Member ✭✭✭

GvG guilds are the best there is, it's mostly because they are the ones who ask for improvement and try new things, as opposed to blobbing the ever living potato out of everything and trying to use that as a means to say that you are a God because you can. Alliances offer more competition and better fights.

• Threather.9354Threather.9354 Member ✭✭✭

EU already has bunch of tight-knit huge communities like:

• Piken, SFR, Deso and Gandara "regular server communities" (4)
    • German fighting community (1) and ppt community (1)
    • French fightingish(?) community (1)
    • Vabbi residents/bandvagoners (1)
    • FSP residents/bandvagoners (1)
    • Spanish (1)

There will most likely be others too so lets say 12 huge/massive alliances will form out of EU from 15 servers getting separated. It is hard to believe that any alliance will be able to outnumber massively any of these alliances. Sure there will be 4 fighting communities that "blobbers" will flock to but that already existed before. Now people actually need to bow their head to someone to get in permanently meaning bandvagoning should be reduced from the old amount.

Ri Ba - WvW Commander, scout, loudmouth, tryhard
    Making Desolation great again/Alt somewhere
    Diamond Legend

• GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Junkpile.7439 said:
    Yes let's whine because WvW is so alive and doing well. :D

Yussss, he's back. These forums have been so dry without such great commentary.

Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

• Tiawal.2351Tiawal.2351 Member ✭✭✭

If the balancing will use the new ranking system, where each player is rated by contribution and abilities (shown by constantly updated stats), then will be possible to create multiple strong alliances, placed into rival teams, so they will have something to compete against. It's about both numbers & quality, both needs to be considered.

• @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    I wouldn't worry about pugs hopping around. fight guilds will determine things, which is good, cuz if they want competition then they wouldn't band together as there wouldn't be any fights.

Lol.

Because they did exactly this over the past five years. A new system is just going to be more of the same. Don’t kid yourself.

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    I wouldn't worry about pugs hopping around. fight guilds will determine things, which is good, cuz if they want competition then they wouldn't band together as there wouldn't be any fights.

Lol.

Because they did exactly this over the past five years. A new system is just going to be more of the same. Don’t kid yourself.

Can’t hop around with this new system and both Guilds and Alliances have caps and McKenna Stated those caps are a lot lower than what current population caps are so yeah. Reading the provided information helps...

• CrimsonNeonite.1048CrimsonNeonite.1048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

Bandwagon as in strongest fight server or PPT focused server? WvW throughout the years has had that problem.

I guess we've got find a balance and organise things with the people we usually play with.
    It could be good or bad, depending on the player caps and who the alliance/guilds recruit, also if the world is 'open' or closed to just guilds.

• @Grandtomatoe.2045 said:
    Small guilds will consolidate into maximum population guilds and then those guilds will ally together to create a super alliance which, once in place, all the other smaller weaker alliances wont want to play against and everyone will run to the powerhouse alliance to be on the winning side.

True and you can blame the bandwagon mentality of the majority of players for that. Theres hope tho, they just need to make transferring to other alliances too troublesome for what you get out of it. Also if they randomize the guilds outside your alliances every 8 weeks and randomize your opponents then players would be less inclined to migrate. Why bother if you get mostly shuffled in a few weeks anyway?

Henge of Denravi

• SugarCayne.3098SugarCayne.3098 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

Can’t hop around with this new system and both Guilds and Alliances have caps and McKenna Stated those caps are a lot lower than what current population caps are so yeah. Reading the provided information helps...

I don’t think you understand the playerbase. I don’t mean that rudely. It is what it is.

• this system will never see the light of day because of 2 things..

1. Server transfers for wvw players. This is how anet makes a TON of cash, people transfering back and forth across servers. They will never shoot themselves in the foot or kill their golden goose unless they are just done with the game and about to close it down.

2. There is a reason that we have 5 guild slots.. This is guild wars 2... but yes... you can have multiple guilds... And I like many wvw players, have more than one wvw guild that i run with and rep while playing throughout the week.. mostly depending on what time of day i happen to get on. If they do this.. and you have to be strictly stuck to one server (alliance or whatever) then they will lose a TON of people. Guilds will collapse and only the multi time frame guilds with TONS of people already will be running will survive.... This will also make it less fun for most players who are there for roaming and camp captures.. although there does need to be a way for players to vote off inactive spawn sitters who are there just for the pips and free loot from reward track.

Now i understand them trying to make wvw more like pvp... but it isnt... never will be.. They did a good job with the reward tracks etc.. but this is basically the same server jumble we saw a few years ago with more dressing on it... It will be voted down in a heartbeat by any real wvw players.

Good try though.. maybe change a few things around, like reducing server population for servers like mag/bg/sos/jq and fa... and see how much of a response you get

• I agree with trueanimus.4085. I am a dedicated long time wvw player and havoc commander. I am in five guilds, I use the rep of the different guilds to achieve different things while playing. I often will switch rep depending on the location I intend to capture as some of my guilds are fully built out regarding wvw buffs etc. and others aren't and are only good for claiming a camp. But the point is that the majority of the players in the guilds I can rep are also able to rep most of those same guilds I'm in. We use the guild system to build alliances already within the present server based system.
    I have played on several different servers, BG, CD, and a couple others, but ended up back on CD a couple years ago and have stayed. As did many of my guild friends who were also chasing the prize of "better combat/competition" and such. I now find that I'm much more interested in creating a cooperative community of guilds on our server. We on CD aren't chasing the stars, to be on tier one, no we seek to play well and enjoy the game. As such we deal with the wvw hand we're dealt and roll with it. Zergs come and go, we fight on. I'm not dissatisfied with the present system. I don't think the proposed changes are really geared to the dedicated wvw players.
    Also to be considered is how the vocoms will be dealt with due the the mixing and such?

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

I don’t think you understand the playerbase. I don’t mean that rudely. It is what it is.

I don’t think you understand the proposed changes, they can’t bandwagon using Alliances since Alliance have built in player caps and so do Guilds, and those caps from McKenna’s own words Stated are a lot lower than Current Server populations, so you can’t overstack Alliances, you know like how BG and Mag became the ridiculous overstocked Servers that they were.

• DeadlySynz.3471DeadlySynz.3471 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Grandtomatoe.2045 said:

Until 1 powerhouse alliance runs into another powerhouse alliance... then what... equal competition? I believe that is the goal.. is it not?

I hear ya though, that's why I mentioned Anet better start looking at possible kinks in the system because if there is a way to exploit it, some players will do it.. like a certain server already has by how they remained on top.

• @SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

eh those people kid themselves if they think theyre fight guilds. maybe I'm ignorant as to how widespread it is. anyway, I would rather have these new changes tested out for a few months then to dismiss them outright before even testing.

• They should just condense the servers and make it to 6 servers instead of removing servers entirely. Rotations should be every 2 weeks instead of the 8.

• Trajan.4953Trajan.4953 Member ✭✭✭

Of course there will be Mega-Alliances of maxed out guilds trying to dominate and control the matches. Nothing different than what happens now in T1, however we have already witnessed what happens when a server with clearly better fighting skills challenges that status quo. I think the time limited matches and the metrics they are hinting at will do a lot to either control or alleviate this sort of behavior. I'm under no illusions the first few matches will be a mess, a fun mess, but a mess nonetheless. Ideally these Mega-Alliances will be pitched directly against each other down the road when they have the data to work with... wouldn't that be something? Non-lopsided gameplay.

@Trajan.4953 said:
    Of course there will be Mega-Alliances of maxed out guilds trying to dominate and control the matches. Nothing different than what happens now in T1, however we have already witnessed what happens when a server with clearly better fighting skills challenges that status quo. I think the time limited matches and the metrics they are hinting at will do a lot to either control or alleviate this sort of behavior. I'm under no illusions the first few matches will be a mess, a fun mess, but a mess nonetheless. Ideally these Mega-Alliances will be pitched directly against each other down the road when they have the data to work with... wouldn't that be something? Non-lopsided gameplay.

Again there are player caps allowed in Alliances they said between 500-1000 players in an Alliance, won’t be able to make a Mega-Alliance.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Trajan.4953 said:

Again there are player caps allowed in Alliances they said between 500-1000 players in an Alliance, won’t be able to make a Mega-Alliance.

I understand that, what I was trying to say is that there will definitely be attempts by the players to manipulate the system.

edited February 2, 2018

@Trajan.4953 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Trajan.4953 said:

I understand that, what I was trying to say is that there will definitely be attempts by the players to manipulate the system.

Attempts that won’t work, as clearly lined out on how the system will work due to Alliance caps, and players can’t change Worlds mid Season. So at the upper limit as posted by the Devs Alliances will House 1000 players ie two full guilds worth of players, at the lower limit 500 one full guild roster worth. That’s not much of a “Mega” Alliance, and then there is the fact of every 8 weeks the community getting Randomized into equal populations outside of Alliances.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Trajan.4953 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Trajan.4953 said:

Attempts that won’t work, as clearly lined out on how the system will work due to Alliance caps, and players can’t change Worlds mid Season. So at the upper limit as posted by the Devs Alliances will House 1000 players ie two full guilds worth of players, at the lower limit 500 one full guild roster worth. That’s not much of a “Mega” Alliance, and since players wont be allowed to transfer mid season they can’t band wagon around, and then there is the fact of every 8 weeks the community getting Randomized into equal populations outside of Alliances.

You sweet Summer child.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

@SloRules.3560 said:
    You guys have no insight into gvg guilds do you? We don't want to bandwagon!!! And who has good players? GvG guilds.

Just good aoe stackers, nothing more.

There are no good players on gw2 :) that stayed and died in gw1.

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

eh those people kid themselves if they think theyre fight guilds. maybe I'm ignorant as to how widespread it is. anyway, I would rather have these new changes tested out for a few months then to dismiss them outright before even testing.

No the point is if this was going to happen, it would have already. They had five years to spread out "for the fights" and never did it.

• @BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

I don’t think you understand the proposed changes, they can’t bandwagon using Alliances since Alliance have built in player caps and so do Guilds, and those caps from McKenna’s own words Stated are a lot lower than Current Server populations, so you can’t overstack Alliances, you know like how BG and Mag became the ridiculous overstocked Servers that they were.

The longevity of most guilds in WvW is about as long as a fruit fly. So you can pick up the pieces of a dead guild and put together another stronger one. Thereby stacking and surprise, surprise, rolling over everyone else -- kind of like it is now.

Which makes me puzzled why they're doing this.

edited February 2, 2018

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

The longevity of most guilds in WvW is about as long as a fruit fly. So you can pick up the pieces of a dead guild and put together another stronger one. Thereby stacking and surprise, surprise, rolling over everyone else -- kind of like it is now.

That’s doesn’t matter when there are Caps on both guilds and alliances and those caps are not going to be able to make up the majority of a World population all of which is stated by the Devs , that is simple common sense..oh right....

• @BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

That’s doesn’t matter when there are Caps on both guilds and alliances and those caps are not going to be able to make up the majority of a World population all of which is stated by the Devs , that is simple common sense..oh right....

You need to read the main thread. Where it talks about BG having more than double participation -- with fewer accounts.

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

You need to read the main thread. Where it talks about BG having more than double participation -- with fewer accounts.

Show me the direct quote from the Dev saying there are fewer accounts, oh right they didn’t say BG had fewer people at all, again that pesky Reading comp issue some people have.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:
    There has been some talk about using Blackgate as an example in the post. Blackgate has been at the top of player activity hours in WvW for a very long time in NA. BG's numbers are twice as big as the average world on NA (without world linking) and 30% larger then the average NA host world. I'm not saying Blackgate hasn't suffered losses of players and coverage but BG is still on top for activity. IT'S NOT JUST BLACKGATE though.

Hmm strange nowhere does it state BG has a lower number of accounts or population in that statement at all.

Right there in the second sentence. The numbers he's referring to is player hours.

Again show me where it states account population is lower than other servers, again this is where reading comp is extremely helpful.

• SugarCayne.3098SugarCayne.3098 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

I can't be bothered.

• Eleazar.9478Eleazar.9478 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

DEATH TO SERVERS YAAAS!

will there be bigger allieances ya, but it will be more flexible and more of them yes so see above

• they never ever say BG has fewer accounts. Just saying lol

• Hiraldo.7954Hiraldo.7954 Member ✭✭✭

@SugarCayne.3098 said:
    I can't be bothered.

What is burden of proof?

[KEK] [kitten] [KRAB] [TTD] [TG] | Fort Aspenwood

• @SugarCayne.3098 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

No the point is if this was going to happen, it would have already. They had five years to spread out "for the fights" and never did it.

well if caps don't fix this issue and other countermeasures fail then we can all go back to links. I think its important to try even if it fails.

• Jokes on Anet, im not going to pay for transfer. I rather go alone or change alliance :)

• Baldrick.8967Baldrick.8967 Member ✭✭✭

So, still confused about how this will work. Let's say we form an alliance with two guilds in it, both maxed out, 1000 players, and that is the alliance cap. We steamroll the first match. What happens then? Do they disband our alliance? Stop people playing? Randomly assign guild players to other alliances?

What about gaming the inactives?

What about someone who logs in on the third day of an 8 week match up having forgotten or not been able to specify their wvw guild before the match starts- are they now in pergatory (another server) for the next 7.5 weeks?

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:

Lol.

well if caps don't fix this issue and other countermeasures fail then we can all go back to links. I think its important to try even if it fails.

It’s not that simple. The proposed change is a significant code restructuring. There is no on/off switch.

edited February 3, 2018

Some guild's ive foough against tend to bail out when our number get equal... since they cant ktrain.

I bet there will be matches where players will agreed jus to ktrain and avoid fights...or those guilds will bail out to eotm.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

So nothing changes?
    Now everyone just rallies at the powerhouse worlds, next it’ll be the alliances, you won’t notice a change as only the name world changes into alliance

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

edited February 3, 2018

@Ayakaru.6583 said:
    So nothing changes?
    Now everyone just rallies at the powerhouse worlds, next it’ll be the alliances, you won’t notice a change as only the name world changes into alliance

game is ment to be played by amoebas pressing 1111111 all that Anet can do is try to make some stuff where decent players can fight each other(6 years later) and leave the amoebas 1111 in peace.

Gw2 is a game towards lamers in 1st place, and will always be, there will be always easy ways that Anet helps with gimmicks, alliances and trains , combined matches etc, will be allowed.
    So far it is another placebo being throwed like dirt, it sounds good but a tthe end will result in just eotm where alliances can choose their color..somethign like that.

• @Baldrick.8967 said:
    So, still confused about how this will work. Let's say we form an alliance with two guilds in it, both maxed out, 1000 players, and that is the alliance cap. We steamroll the first match. What happens then? Do they disband our alliance? Stop people playing? Randomly assign guild players to other alliances?

What about gaming the inactives?

What about someone who logs in on the third day of an 8 week match up having forgotten or not been able to specify their wvw guild before the match starts- are they now in pergatory (another server) for the next 7.5 weeks?

Good questions and I don't think we know all the details but, from what I can glean -
    1. You're stuck in a steamroll situation for a season. After that, I'd imagine they'll match up your capped alliance against another capped alliance or group of alliances/guilds that will give you a challenge.
    2. You have to declare a prime guild so not sure if there's any gaming of inactives
    3. This one has been answered in the big thread. Once the cap is reached, your late-to-the-game guildmates won't be able to join you. They would have to play somewhere else for 7.5 weeks.

• Rampage.7145Rampage.7145 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018

@trueanimus.4085 said:
    this system will never see the light of day because of 2 things..

1. Server transfers for wvw players. This is how anet makes a TON of cash, people transfering back and forth across servers. They will never shoot themselves in the foot or kill their golden goose unless they are just done with the game and about to close it down.

You are dumb if you think arenanet makes any serious cash out transfers tbh (95% of those are paid in gold not gems), they would make a ton of money tho if the 90% of the playersbase (that left because the game sucked) came back to the game cuz it all the sudden stop sucking, not to mention attract new players from other games and whatnot. WvW today is a dying game mode, bleeding players and guild everyday not anywhere close to be a golden goose believe me, all they care about at this point is to try bring players to the game so they can ACTUALLY make money.

VR Driver
    Salty beavers top guild 2 years in a row back to back, the double champs
    https://saltybeavers.com/

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.