Statistics: Obsidian Weapons

Solori.6025

I would love to know how many players are proudly using these weapons and showing them off

My opinion ( though it seems to be shared by a few) These weapons are trash.They look like rushed jobs that were put together to say " look we added WvW content".It's honestly a little sad how these look vs the skins you released for tickets on the same day.

The obsidian was a cool texture, but honestly I think they ultimately need to go back to the drawing board.Maybe for future WvW items, you could do a community poll on reddit and the official forums as to what style the majority of players like?Would probably be better than releasing weapons like you did and basically giving kitten to the community

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if they wanted them to represent colors better they could've gone for an effect more like that found on cobalt greatsword? To this day I still haven't run into anyone (ally/enemy) with an obsidian weapon. Make it also have an effect on unsheathe like some crazy aura blast, kind of like your servers warcry in aura form.

They are horribly ugly. They barely even match the art style of the game. I will personally bring pizza, ice cream, and a bottle of vodka over to the person who had a terrible day and designed them to make them feel better, if ANet just pretends those weapons never happened and gives us something nicer.

I have the dagger which actually looks pretty good in game except I wish the handle and pommel were a little sleeker, they look like they were taken off another dagger. The color effect on the blade is cool though, the actual obsidian part and server color effect should be the design for the most part, the other weapons have the best parts crowded out by the bulky trash.

@kash.9213 said:the other weapons have the best parts crowded out by the bulky trash.

This is something I have noticed about their weapon design in general. Bulky, awkward, clumsy, thick, etc. Many sets have one or two very beautifully balanced pieces, and the rest look like giant cardboard cutouts (see Lovestruck sword, which is gorgeous, and Lovestruck longbow, which looks like a piece of architecture wrenched off of a ceiling). The Obsidian weapons show this tendency off to an unfortunate extreme, but I am not really surprised by it. They seem to get a really great idea for a piece or two, and then just mash the rest together and paint them the same color.

@Ubi.4136 said:I've only known 2 people to have gotten one weapon each this whole time, and they got them just to test whether the color change worked when we went from red to blue a month or more back. No one uses them, I doubt that other than the most die-hard Pokemon style collectors have any of them.

I have 6 of each. Just like my Pidgeys.

i use the torch , because the flame is bigger than torch body, which can hardly be noticed. and yeah, theyre ugly.

I would prefer that instead of these weapons, they would resurrect mistwarden weapons.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistbreaker_(skin)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4y66bz/mistward_weapons_lost_in_the_mists/

@"biofrog.1568" said:https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.key=skins&filter.search=Obsidiannb: you might need to copy/paste the link.. can't get it to post without escaping the &

Basically if you own one, you should at least be proud of owning a pretty rare skin.. which was probably transmuted anyway :)

Thank you this.

Basically the most popular weapon is the dagger in it's rare and exotic form.

at .595 % of the playerbase counted on GW2 efficiency ( 942 of 158,282 (0.595%)

Slumbering Obsidian DaggerUnknown942 of 158,282 (0.595%)

Obsidian DaggerUnknown942 of 158,282 (0.595%)

Slumbering Obsidian StaffUnknown557 of 158,282 (0.352%)

Obsidian StaffUnknown557 of 158,282 (0.352%)

Obsidian TorchUnknown487 of 158,282 (0.308%)

Slumbering Obsidian TorchUnknown487 of 158,282 (0.308%)

Obsidian ShieldUnknown340 of 158,282 (0.215%)

Slumbering Obsidian ShieldUnknown340 of 158,282 (0.215%)

Mistforged Obsidian DaggerUnknown260 of 158,282 (0.164%)

Slumbering Mistforged Obsidian DaggerUnknown260 of 158,282 (0.164%)

Slumbering Mistforged Obsidian StaffUnknown75 of 158,282 (0.047%)

Mistforged Obsidian StaffUnknown75 of 158,282 (0.047%)

Slumbering Mistforged Obsidian TorchUnknown60 of 158,282 (0.038%)

Mistforged Obsidian TorchUnknown60 of 158,282 (0.038%)

Slumbering Mistforged Obsidian ShieldUnknown23 of 158,282 (0.015%)

Mistforged Obsidian ShieldUnknown23 of 158,282 (0.015%)

. . .which ever dev said these look great.Don't let them make fashion decisions anymore :open_mouth:

For reference.These are the new Alchemist Weapon stats from GW2efficiencyAnd this set is brand kitten new.

Alchemist Greatsword53g89s99c2,545 of 158,282 (1.608%)

Alchemist Sword53g98s97c2,302 of 158,282 (1.454%)

Alchemist Scepter54g00s00c2,284 of 158,282 (1.443%)

Alchemist Axe53g97s99c2,214 of 158,282 (1.399%)

Alchemist Staff51g51s51c1,940 of 158,282 (1.226%)

Alchemist Pistol55g94s99c1,871 of 158,282 (1.182%)

Alchemist Dagger53g99s00c1,863 of 158,282 (1.177%)

Alchemist Torch55g62s78c1,738 of 158,282 (1.098%)

Alchemist Focus55g00s00c1,587 of 158,282 (1.003%)

Alchemist Shield50g70s01c1,393 of 158,282 (0.880%)

Alchemist Hammer52g00s00c1,331 of 158,282 (0.841%)

Alchemist Warhorn53g00s89c1,227 of 158,282 (0.775%)

Alchemist Longbow51g99s99c1,168 of 158,282 (0.738%)

Alchemist Rifle52g98s99c1,122 of 158,282 (0.709%)

Alchemist Mace50g00s00c1,075 of 158,282 (0.679%)

Alchemist Short Bow52g99s99c1,069 of 158,282 (0.675%)

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:i use the torch , because the flame is bigger than torch body, which can hardly be noticed. and yeah, theyre ugly.

I would prefer that instead of these weapons, they would resurrect mistwarden weapons.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistbreaker_(skin)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4y66bz/mistward_weapons_lost_in_the_mists/I agree that would be awesome, much better than the things they released for WvW currently

@xDudisx.5914 said:I have the obsidian dagger. It is a cool skin, but having no color in pve is a major flaw. Wvw needs other ticket sinks. Maybe some minis?

Ok, I had no idea they don't have a glow in pve, which is even more off putting. It would probably be an easy fix though, they can still have it show up that persons current server color.

@diamondgirl.6315 said:

@kash.9213 said:the other weapons have the best parts crowded out by the bulky trash.

This is something I have noticed about their weapon design in general. Bulky, awkward, clumsy, thick, etc. Many sets have one or two very beautifully balanced pieces, and the rest look like giant cardboard cutouts (see Lovestruck sword, which is gorgeous, and Lovestruck longbow, which looks like a piece of architecture wrenched off of a ceiling). The Obsidian weapons show this tendency off to an unfortunate extreme, but I am not really surprised by it. They seem to get a really great idea for a piece or two, and then just mash the rest together and paint them the same color.

There has to be a few disconnects along the way from concept to design to implementation because most gear in this game looks pretty bad when not with other items from their set. Using Warbeast Medium legs with Medium Glorious Chest leaves a bright glow from warbeast effect at the waist because whoever designed that set didn't care about how each piece might look without the rest of the set and didn't know we can sport anything but trench coats and heavy rags. Whoever designed these Obsidian weapons threw on a bunch of gaudy chunks of what looks like plastic or 3d printed metal similar to the slightly disconnected and extra large protruding pieces all over our Triumphant gear. If they took off all of the chunks that don't really need to be there most of that gear and these new weapons would look alright and some would look awesome.

@kash.9213 said:

There has to be a few disconnects along the way from concept to design to implementation because most gear in this game looks pretty bad when not with other items from their set. Using Warbeast Medium legs with Medium Glorious Chest leaves a bright glow from warbeast effect at the waist because whoever designed that set didn't care about how each piece might look without the rest of the set and didn't know we can sport anything but trench coats and heavy rags. Whoever designed these Obsidian weapons threw on a bunch of gaudy chunks of what looks like plastic or 3d printed metal similar to the slightly disconnected and extra large protruding pieces all over our Triumphant gear. If they took off all of the chunks that don't really need to be there most of that gear and these new weapons would look alright and some would look awesome.

I would also vote to change the white and red coloring on the hilts to either a metal grey or black with the red cloth.White,red, and black looks like the colors for a bad clown comedy skit.

Archived