Permafrost Dye

@"gimmick.1845" said:Why is there a dye worth 1,500gold it looks really nice I wanted to try get it but I mean for the price?! I know there are other dyes but they are no where near the price of it.

The "why" is pretty simple, the only source of the dye is the Jormag Dye Kit, from which it is a very low chance to drop. The Jormag Dye Kit is not currently available for purchase from the gem shop, but even when it was available, it was a gem show dye kit so only a small minority of players bothered to acquire it. A small number of people a long time ago bought a small number of kits which dropped an even smaller number of Permafrost Dyes into the game.

As such, there are currently only ~22 Permafrost Dyes listed for sale, and with such a small number, those who have lots of gold are going to have first dibs on them which drives up the price (Supply and Demand).

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@"gimmick.1845" said:Why is there a dye worth 1,500gold it looks really nice I wanted to try get it but I mean for the price?! I know there are other dyes but they are no where near the price of it.

The "why" is pretty simple, the only source of the dye is the Jormag Dye Kit, from which it is a very low chance to drop. The Jormag Dye Kit is not currently available for purchase from the gem shop, but even when it was available, it was a gem show dye kit so only a small minority of players bothered to acquire it. A small number of people a long time ago bought a small number of kits which dropped an even smaller number of Permafrost Dyes into the game.

As such, there are currently only ~22 Permafrost Dyes listed for sale, and with such a small number, those who have lots of gold are going to have first dibs on them which drives up the price (Supply and Demand).

That and like the OP said it's a really nice dye, so a lot of people want to buy it.

Why? Because someone at Arenanet thinks there needs to be a dye that is not accessible to most of the player base, and because whales will go "oooh pretty!" and drop cash to get the gold to buy it.

But hey, if you log in and do dailies for just over 2 years straight, you'll be able to afford it. Of course by then it will either be 7000g or 2g, but Anet got you to log in daily ;)

edit: also worth pointing out, as I believe others have, Permafrost really seems to strip away detail. Eternal Ice and Frostbite Blue are really good options that go beyond Celestial. Between Celestial and Permafrost, those two dyes fall about 10% further towards Permafrost.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, which apparently is over 1000g.

How we value dyes depends on the supply and our thirst for particular colors. This one happens to be the only "pure white" in the game, so it has a special status. And it comes from one of the two dye packs that has (a) never been part of a birthday present and (b) never been a common drop from the BL chest. (Permafrost comes from the Jormag kit, with two dyes selling for over 400g. The other kit is the Elonian Landscape, which also has two dyes selling for over 400g.)

At some point, the price will drop because the dyes from the kit are made available through a birthday present and/or the kit is a common drop from the BL chest.

Or in brief: don't pay 1000g+ if you don't want to. Wait. So far, all the other exclusive dyes have dropped below 20g at some point. Many dropped below 10g and a few even lower.

@Mea.5491 said:It's not that nice, it completely destroys the details on (most) armor skins. Not sure why the GW2 community is so obsessed with black and white dyes. :o

It's not just GW2. Most games I've played blacks and whites have been the most popular colours. I suspect it's a combination of black & white being an easy 'dramatic' combination and those being the colours people are most likely to use as a 'base' or gap filler.

As for destroying the details I agree that can be an issue with both bright white and dark black dyes, but I can still understand why people would want them. Sometimes that's exactly what people are going for (I know at least two people whose goal for their character can best be described as 'blinding'), but also those colours can do the opposite - applied to the details they can make them really stand out. I use a lot of very bright dyes, but often on the smallest pieces of my armour. Admittedly that does often put me off spending hundreds of gold on them so I've mainly gotten them from birthday dye packs.

@Mea.5491 said:It's not that nice, it completely destroys the details on (most) armor skins. Not sure why the GW2 community is so obsessed with black and white dyes. :o

Some people are obsessed with price tags, they will use anything that is expensive regardless of how it looks, it's why so many characters look like multi coloured cluster kittens.

I would think game would better regulate stuff . I dont understand how they would allow a player to actually price them that high. I am guess could be just some players with lot money selling it for that much to profit them self I don't know. I just know be nice to have access to with out saving year and years

The Permafrost dye has done some serious Roller-coastering up and down. I got lucky and got my hands on it back in Nov (paid about 700g) when it was half its current price. I've seen this dye range anywhere from 600 - 1500g on any given hill or valley in the last 6 months.

I will say this about it, though - it is an incredibly WHITE dye, but... sometimes I have found it to be "too white" depending on the material and what result I was trying to achieve. I do use it often, though, and it's almost worth what I paid for it... almost.

Good luck!

@gimmick.1845 said:I would think game would better regulate stuff . I dont understand how they would allow a player to actually price them that high. I am guess could be just some players with lot money selling it for that much to profit them self I don't know. I just know be nice to have access to with out saving year and years

Do your dailies, sell the mystic coins, convert laurels to gold, you will be able to afford it in months, not years.

Or spend some real money and buy today.

Or a combination of the two options.

@gimmick.1845 said:I would think game would better regulate stuff . I dont understand how they would allow a player to actually price them that high. I am guess could be just some players with lot money selling it for that much to profit them self I don't know. I just know be nice to have access to with out saving year and years

It's an entirely optional luxury item. The game plays just the same whether you have true white or not. Why shouldn't it sell for 1500 if someone is foolish desperate enough to pay that much?

The TP is not regulated at all. People can put anything up at any price. Just because someone puts something up at this price doesn't mean that people are going to buy it.

I would guess that a lot of the people with buy orders are TP flippers. Either way it's the whitest white dye and that's why some people really want it; it looks great on the raptor, I believe.

@Pifil.5193 said:

The TP is not regulated at all. People can put anything up at any price. Just because someone puts something up at this price doesn't mean that people are going to buy it.

I would guess that a lot of the people with buy orders are TP flippers. Either way it's the whitest white dye and that's why some people really want it; it looks great on the raptor, I believe.

tp actually is regulated with max price at 10k. that'S why people that get choya pinata infusion try to trade it outside of trading post ( just take a look at reddit.)

@"Neural.1824" said:Why? Because someone at Arenanet thinks there needs to be a dye that is not accessible to most of the player base, and because whales will go "oooh pretty!" and drop cash to get the gold to buy it.

But hey, if you log in and do dailies for just over 2 years straight, you'll be able to afford it. Of course by then it will either be 7000g or 2g, but Anet got you to log in daily ;)

edit: also worth pointing out, as I believe others have, Permafrost really seems to strip away detail. Eternal Ice and Frostbite Blue are really good options that go beyond Celestial. Between Celestial and Permafrost, those two dyes fall about 10% further towards Permafrost.

You can get enough gold for it in in under one month if you actually make gold (less than 2 weeks of moderate farm). If you don't want to put any time into making the gold for it, then did you really want it in the first place?

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Fingers crossed for 6th birthday gift I guess. /shrug

ThisEven though i already have dyes, the price is something related to their earlier aviability.

You want the new dye soon? You buy it or gamble with the gem store.Or else you simply wait 2 years ( i guess. we'll see ).Not 2 years. As soon as the first people will get it in their birthday gifts (so, half a year from now), the price will crash. It has happened to all the previous costly dyes. They may still cost a lot (if the gifts will be the only source), but it will still be much, much cheaper than it is now.

So, just wait and buy then.

Archived