New VIP area: Historical Lion's Arch (like the Mistlock Sanctuary)?

Everytime I play a story instance that involves old Lion's Arch, I can't help but absorb the unique energy and atmosphere of that place. It is filled with the coziness of a fishers town on one hand, and reeks of adventure and fortune on the other ... and at night of stealth and danger, with sewers to explore etc. None of that can be found in new Lion's Arch.

Unfortunately, you cannot replay those old story missions (unlike newer ones), hence it is immensely tedious to get to see the old place again (i.e., create a new character, play for days or even weeks to finally get to those missions, always follow a set path).

If you can't add an option that allows you to select which version of Lion's Arch one desires to enter, old or new, then at least give us a place like the Mistlock Sanctuary, where you can travel via pass and go about your business. Call it "Historical Lion's Arch" and let it have all the VIP area services that are currently available. <3

I would love some way to go back to the old LA. I really miss running along those old wood bridges. Toss in the jumping puzzle so I can cram my large charr through that tiny cave again (Oh, the sweet memories of frustration and fighting my camera:P) and I would crack open the piggy bank right away to snag that VIP pass:P

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Heck, I'd be interested in buying it as those story glimpses is all I've ever seen of launch-version LA!

Same here! I've only seen Old Lion's Arch in story instances, and I adore how it looks. I'd love to get a (hopefully permanent) pass to "Historical" Lion's Arch.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Everytime I play a story instance that involves old Lion's Arch, I can't help but absorb the unique energy and atmosphere of that place. It is filled with the coziness of a fishers town on one hand, and reeks of adventure and fortune on the other ... and at night of stealth and danger, with sewers to explore etc. None of that can be found in new Lion's Arch.

Unfortunately, you cannot replay those old story missions (unlike newer ones), hence it is immensely tedious to get to see the old place again (i.e., create a new character, play for days or even weeks to finally get to those missions, always follow a set path).

If you can't add an option that allows you to select which version of Lion's Arch one desires to enter, old or new, then at least give us a place like the Mistlock Sanctuary, where you can travel via pass and go about your business. Call it "Historical Lion's Arch" and let it have all the VIP area services that are currently available. <3

If it will be like the other VIP areas for gems then this time I want to see a preview of it before paying. I think it is only fair for actual money.

I would pay for this. I liked the old LA far better than the new design. I don't go there much anymore because of it. This current design is pretty I suppose but it has no life. I feel like I am in some cheap set not a vibrant living space.

It doesn't have to be a full recreation but some little clips of it with stuff to look at and use sort of like Myst Lock but without the floating effect and space theme. They could have little historical themes and fun designs. People took a lot of time to create a unique piece of art with the original, and while I did like getting to experience it being destroyed and playing a truly living story as it unfolded I would have really liked to be able to go back into that space in an instance and hang around. Someplace others can join in.

They might also consider making it an optional guild hall and an old school event to capture it. Like having a condo in the city for "rich" people.

This is something I've actually thought about for a while. At the very least it would be nice to have a fully explorable instance of old Lions Arch.

As a still relatively new player who didn't start playing until halfway through season 3, those few story missions of the old environment are such a tease :(

I always liked the original lions arch. Id be really curious if it would be a bit of a time warped version or a new construction high up in the west ward of the current lions arch (the section south of the skritt cave is still reminiscent of old lions arch). Either way, would buy.

@"Khailyn.6248" said:I always liked the original lions arch. Id be really curious if it would be a bit of a time warped version or a new construction high up in the west ward of the current lions arch (the section south of the skritt cave is still reminiscent of old lions arch). Either way, would buy.

If they added it as a VIP area, then I'd hope that it would be located in the Mists, like the Sanctuary, or in the Fractals (as part of a "historic piece"). In any case, it needs to be somewhere outside our reality, as it is a time-travel after all. ;)

P.S. I wouldn't mind if they added the option to choose to enter the old LA instead of the new one, but I think that would be too much work as all the current NPCs would have to be re-established and everything would have to fit 100% with the current space (and don't forget the re-named districts that would have to overlap the current names). It would be a fantastic thing, but I don't see it happen. Hence the idea for an "outside of our time and space" location for a VIP map. :)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Khailyn.6248" said:I always liked the original lions arch. Id be really curious if it would be a bit of a time warped version or a new construction high up in the west ward of the current lions arch (the section south of the skritt cave is still reminiscent of old lions arch). Either way, would buy.

If they added it as a VIP area, then I'd hope that it would be located in the Mists, like the Sanctuary, or in the Fractals (as part of a "historic piece"). In any case, it needs to be somewhere outside our reality, as it is a time-travel after all. ;)

P.S. I wouldn't mind if they added the option to choose to enter the old LA instead of the new one, but I think that would be too much work as all the current NPCs would have to be re-established and everything would have to fit 100% with the current space (and don't forget the re-named districts that would have to overlap the current names). It would be a fantastic thing, but I don't see it happen. Hence the idea for an "outside of our time and space" location for a VIP map. :)

Long as it becomes a thing, I'm fine with however AN decides to go about it. Just something to ponder about.

I miss it. I still don't like the newer areas of LA. I definitely prefer the 'older' surviving parts. After going through the PS for the second time; it's all the more jarring that there is so little to explore in New Lion's Arch.

No secret Whispers base down in the drains, no hidden underwater cave, no bank safe that you could peek inside and see all that gold, no cosy bar to park your weary butt at... and the old crafting stations I used to start levelling my crafts at.

• 10 months later...

The one with the lion statue fountain, the countless buildings made of pirate ship bits, and, of course, the nice central plaza with the Mystic Forge right at the (population) heart of the city! It's still in the game files, as we can tell from it turning up in plenty of instanced (Personal Story) content.

So, a question! Being that it's still in the game files, and it took so much development time (judging from old interviews), and quite a few players like/d it, wouldn't it make sense for there to still be some way to reach it properly in the game? I mean, speaking for myself, I'd even snap an access pass up on the Gem Shop--even if it cost thousands of gems--just because the design and feel of it were that good. And it feels like such a waste that all of this good content has been shuffled off and done away with... I can't be the only one who has thought along these lines, right?

Old Lion's Arch certainly had more character and appeal for all its shabbiness. I'd even say that was part of the appeal. Far more endearing than the overly-whitewashed, concrete-Disneyland nightmare they turned it into. They could have blown up Divinity's Reach and rebuilt it as terribly and nobody would have cared. Old Lion's arch had far more interesting places to explore- from the heights down to the to the sewers and the underwater caves where the juvenile armour fish used to be. As a new player there was a joy of discovery that came with finding the order of shadows hideout for the first time.

New Lion's arch is a place I now take pains to avoid unless absolutely necessary. Heck, I'd rather have the rubble and the remains of Scarlet's Drill still jutting out of the middle of the lagoon than what we have now. But I figure they'd had to do it. If only for the sake of the fiction there had to be some sort of explanation for the stupidly exorbitant listing fees -what more the doubly ridiculous pound of flesh taken out in addition when you actually sell something on the Black Lion Exchange.

Here's hoping that with any luck they'll decide to destroy it a third time.

Archived