Buy/Rent New/Strong Servers with Part of Our Money

Dear ArenaNet,Thank you for beautiful Tyria.

To enjoy beautiful Tyria at maximum speed and capacity, I suggest you take a fixed percentage of every penny that goes in, from gems to xpac purchases towards maintaining 'carrying' capacity for your servers.

Scale?

At the level where six 50-man zergs (this never happens, there are usually 2, max 3 in any given map at any given time) in full glowy glossy armour (not a requisite for fights, but to make things extreme) use their elite skills all at once without lagging, regardless of their local conditions.At the level where you can have 2-3 50-man zergs on any given map in Tyria doing whatever it is they want.

Leave no room for connection complaints by using what we give you is what I am saying.Especially since you are considering the Euromerger and Amerimerger for World vs. World.

Hugs.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Mandragorin.5978" said:Arenanet servers are only part of that equation. Your personal setup specs, internet carrier, and distance from anet servers are all critical when determining your overall "connection". There is no way for it to be equal for everybody, much less think it's all in anets hands to get it done.

Well put! It's not rare to be pointed to as the be-all and end-all of latency problems. We have been involved in a lengthy discussion with one player who has accused us of reaching out and strangling their bandwidth -- their personal bandwidth -- because certainly their lag programs are not on their end! And yet, data shows and investigation proves that they have problems on their end -- ISP, system, router, modem, whatever -- and that beyond their home, everything is working just fine. Unfortunately, they won't be convinced, even with careful and detailed explanations.

So yes, we do what we can, and each player should do what they can to ensure the best game performance possible. In cases where there are issues, reach out to Technical Support and they'll do their best to figure out what's happening and how the situation might be addressed.

OP -- I am assuming you're tried adjusting your settings? Done some route tracing, and so forth? Don't hesitate to see if the TS folks can help or advise you!

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Mandragorin.5978" said:Arenanet servers are only part of that equation. Your personal setup specs, internet carrier, and distance from anet servers are all critical when determining your overall "connection". There is no way for it to be equal for everybody, much less think it's all in anets hands to get it done.

Well put! It's not rare to be pointed to as the be-all and end-all of latency problems. We have been involved in a lengthy discussion with one player who has accused us of reaching out and strangling their bandwidth -- their personal bandwidth -- because certainly their lag programs are not on their end! And yet, data shows and investigation
proves
that they have problems on their end -- ISP, system, router, modem, whatever -- and that beyond their home, everything is working just fine. Unfortunately, they won't be convinced, even with careful and detailed explanations.

So yes, we do what we can, and each player should do what they can to ensure the best game performance possible. In cases where there are issues, reach out to Technical Support and they'll do their best to figure out what's happening and how the situation might be addressed.

OP -- I am assuming you're tried adjusting your settings? Done some route tracing, and so forth? Don't hesitate to see if the TS folks can help or advise you!

While true that people can mix up FPS drops/personal lag as server issues, the zerg issue is very prominent.

Is it a feature that in WvW I can feel a zerg is near before I see it because of the insane stuttering? It does help me avoid getting run over, but I have not followed a pugmander since I got back to the game for this very reason.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Well put! It's not rare to be pointed to as the be-all and end-all of latency problems. We have been involved in a lengthy discussion with one player who has accused us of reaching out and strangling their bandwidth -- their personal bandwidth -- because certainly their lag programs are not on their end! And yet, data shows and investigation
proves
that they have problems on their end -- ISP, system, router, modem, whatever -- and that beyond their home, everything is working just fine. Unfortunately, they won't be convinced, even with careful and detailed explanations.

Now you know what it's like to tell people they're doing it wrong and get ignored!

I have a 950 Mbps connection and my connection to the game servers is excellent. I have no bandwidth issues at all. When a large number of players are on the screen all using skills like you would see on a champ bounty or a world boss, my game will stutter. At times it almost looks like single frames. I know what the issue is, it's my computer. I need a better video card and more memory which I can't do until I upgrade the MB. It would be easy to blame anet because my computer "works fine for everything else" but in fact I know that it is my computer because I see the same issue on locally played games that are "high end". Now if I was playing on a brand new gaming computer with current gaming video card with the connection and bandwidth I have, then I would say it's the game but as it is I know it's on my end and that's the first step to getting it resolved.

@artemis.6781 said:

@Asumir.1978 said:Well, at least let them do what they can and we what we can.I would rather have myself to blame than the people I paid.

The people you paid? Do you own Anet and are they on your payroll?The same people you and the rest of us pay for the permission to access this game we are all playing, and in order for them to afford to set up and maintain it, and this forum we are posting in among many other things.I wish I was rich enough to afford Anet. Direct access to the game, 24/7.

sigh

@"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:I have a 950 Mbps connection and my connection to the game servers is excellent. I have no bandwidth issues at all. When a large number of players are on the screen all using skills like you would see on a champ bounty or a world boss, my game will stutter. At times it almost looks like single frames. I know what the issue is, it's my computer. I need a better video card and more memory which I can't do until I upgrade the MB. It would be easy to blame anet because my computer "works fine for everything else" but in fact I know that it is my computer because I see the same issue on locally played games that are "high end". Now if I was playing on a brand new gaming computer with current gaming video card with the connection and bandwidth I have, then I would say it's the game but as it is I know it's on my end and that's the first step to getting it resolved.

Wow. Looks like I've got to grind the dollars if I want out of crashes. All right. About time I started getting a good machine.

@nativity.3057 said:

proves

While true that people can mix up FPS drops/personal lag as server issues, the zerg issue is very prominent.

Is it a feature that in WvW I can feel a zerg is near before I see it because of the insane stuttering? It does help me avoid getting run over, but I have not followed a pugmander since I got back to the game for this very reason.

A frequent commentary of mine during prime time WvW is,"I am lagging. If I am lagging, there are enemies. Many enemies."way before the orange crossed swords ever show up on the map.I usually get ignored.Then we come across the enemy zerg, and the screen and game freeze and I crash out.It's become a prophecy.

Should have my Norn go around WvW in Kodan gear with Shaman stats for RP reasons.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Mandragorin.5978 said:There is no way for it to be equal for everybody, much less think it's all in anets hands to get it done.

OP -- I am assuming you're tried adjusting your settings? Done some route tracing, and so forth? Don't hesitate to see if the TS folks can help or advise you!Minimised system graphics, minimised game graphics, am going around the most beautiful game I have seen in a pixellated blur and still crash.The rest: fine, I will take myself to TS but my soul medicine is a good machine.

Fact is you're playing an online game, and I've yet to play an MMO where there isn't some server issues around a ton of people, GW2 tends to be better than most, Rift turns into a complete Slide Show after a Zone Boss pops, ESO has inconsistent performance with only a small handful of people around. I used to blame this on me running a Wireless 4g/LTE connection how ever now that I'm back on Cable Internet at 200 download speeds it's just a server bottleneck, some are better than others, just be glad you fell in love with GW2s Open World instead.

@Asumir.1978 said:

proves

A frequent commentary of mine during prime time WvW is,"I am lagging. If I am lagging, there are enemies.
Many
enemies."way before the orange crossed swords ever show up on the map.I usually get ignored.Then we come across the enemy zerg, and the screen and game freeze and I crash out.It's become a prophecy.

Should have my Norn go around WvW in Kodan gear with Shaman stats for RP reasons.This is common practice for literally everyone in WvW... its easy to sense zergs.

I had ALOT of problems when the servers were first migrated to AWS but was assured by a Lead GM that things were being worked on to improve things. That is indeed the case because most of the problems have gone away with time as things are being fine tuned. There still is occasional random lag spikes for what ever reason but I am largely happy with the state of my game, I live in New Zealand and wvw almost exclusively. My ping is probably about 20ms worse than it was pre server move but that is vastly improved from the 100-150ms issue immediately post the AWS migration. However, there is still performance variation between wvw maps some are better than others. It would be ideal if this could be ironed out to provide a consistent ping across all wvw maps adding another 50ms due to a map hop is quite often death material ;)

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Fact is you're playing an online game, and I've yet to play an MMO where there isn't some server issues around a ton of people, GW2 tends to be better than most, Rift turns into a complete Slide Show after a Zone Boss pops, ESO has inconsistent performance with only a small handful of people around. I used to blame this on me running a Wireless 4g/LTE connection how ever now that I'm back on Cable Internet at 200 download speeds it's just a server bottleneck, some are better than others, just be glad you fell in love with GW2s Open World instead.

I see. Hmm. So there is no point in buying an internet upgrade.Machine upgrade, then, when possible.ESO is impossible to run for me. Could only download it when BDO hit the market, and the first episode was like a black-and-white horror movie.BDO also took a lot of pressure off of WvW when it launched :D

Will work on what I can, on my end.Submitting ticket since public complaints are a faux pas, apparently.Need to sort out basic connectivity issues before Euromerge and Amerimerge hit the fan.

Archived