Silver-Fed Salvage-O-Matic now obsolete?

Graymalkyn.8076

@"Graymalkyn.8076" said:Seems that now that we aren't getting sigil and rune drops, there's not really much reason to keep using the SFSOM anymore.

Hey Anet...can we get a refund?

You are getting the mats from the implied-extraction of the sigils & runes. You get more ecto from L68+ rares. In fact, if you're willing to sort your masterwork gear, using the Silver-Fed on the right subset of weapons/armor will generate two, three, or perhaps more than four times the value as if you used the copper-fed (caveat: in the current market and over 1000s of salvages).

In other words, there is really very much reason to use it.

Even if there wasn't, ANet policy is clear & long-standing: they don't offer refunds on any gem shop items after (their view) of a reasonable grace period. In their estimation, we've gotten "fair use" out of the item, and so there's nothing to refund. That grace period is roughly a month, although the decision is made on a case-by-case basis, so there might be exceptions where people have had items for longer and gotten a refund.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

Even if there wasn't, ANet policy is clear & long-standing: they don't offer refunds on any gem shop items after (their view) of a reasonable grace period. In their estimation, we've gotten "fair use" out of the item, and so there's nothing to refund. That grace period is roughly a month, although the decision is made on a case-by-case basis, so there might be exceptions where people have had items for longer and gotten a refund.

I was really just being tongue-in-cheek. I know they don't give refunds on that kind of stuff.

And I guess I've just had a bad run of luck since the change because I don't recall any ecto drops for me since then.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

I was really just being tongue-in-cheek. I know they don't give refunds on that kind of stuff.

Am I correct in understanding that the title of your post and your original statement has little to do with your actual concern? You don't expect a refund and you don't think the patch necessarily made your Silver-Fed kit obsolete? You're just worried because ...

...I've just had a bad run of luck since the change because I don't recall any ecto drops for me since then.How many L68+ rares have you salvaged with the Silver-Fed since the patch? I've gotten the usual fraction of ecto (typically 83-91 per 100)

@Jeknar.6184 said:Silver-Fed is now better than Copper-Fed

Not necessarily. It depends on what you are salvaging.

• Fine gear: you'll spend more on salvage costs than you'll gain on mats, especially since fine gear doesn't normally come with upgrades.
  • Masterwork gear: at today's market values
    • You'll also lose value using silver-fed on runeless-armor, sigilless-weapons, and all accessories.
    • You'll just about break even using silver-fed on weapons with sigils that have the cheapest enchantments and make somewhat more with armor containing runes with cheaper enchantments.
    • It's a very big gain if you sort your masterwork gear so that you just use the silver-fed if the gear has control sigils or potence runes.

The Silver-fed was always used to acquire as many ecto and materials as possible from level 68+ rares and low value exotic items.

No sane person would have ever used it on valuable runes or sigils since it does not guarantee a 100% return on those (that's what Black Lion Salvage Kits are for).

None of the reasons to use the Silver-fed were altered, on the contrary, now the better rune and sigil salvage will benefit you when salvaging said items.

This topic is pointless.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Never understood the need for Silver Fed. Have a Copper Fed in share inventory, and every character has a Mystic Salvage Kit for Rare+ items. Why spend gems and pay more per salvage when the majority of items you salvage would yield the same results?

Convenience. I never have to bother remembering to make a Mystic kit now.

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Never understood the need for Silver Fed. Have a Copper Fed in share inventory, and every character has a Mystic Salvage Kit for Rare+ items. Why spend gems and pay more per salvage when the majority of items you salvage would yield the same results?

I was with @Turkeyspit.3965: cost savings was more important to me than convenience. Then I ran out of mystic forge stones, because I salvage a lot more rares than most people. For me, it was worth the gem cost to avoid having to visit a vendor often.

You all make some good points. I was upset because I was no longer getting runes and sigils, and had a run of bad luck with the ectos. However, I do see the advantage to it now that I realize that we get motes (which I assume are used in sigil/rune crafting ( I haven't gotten into that yet)). So after consideration, I don't think my policy will change:

Copper fed for Fine and lower (blues and grays)Silver fed for masterworks and rares (greens and yellows)Black Lion for Exotics (gold)

Thanks for the input everyone.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Was that the reason to get a SFSOM, rune and sigil drops? I thought it was to salvage rares for ectos.

No, you get the ectos even with copper-fed. The reason for the upgrade is hopes of getting sigils/runes.

But moreover now you have to weigh the value of each item before salvaging. It's back to individual item/stack salvaging, doing 'all' is now only viable if you're sure you don't want any of the runes.

@mtpelion.4562 said:

I use my mystic forge stones to roll the now low valued exotic weapons.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:You all make some good points. I was upset because I was no longer getting runes and sigils, and had a run of bad luck with the ectos. However, I do see the advantage to it now that I realize that we get motes (which I assume are used in sigil/rune crafting ( I haven't gotten into that yet)). So after consideration, I don't think my policy will change:

Copper fed for Fine and lower (blues and grays)Silver fed for masterworks and rares (greens and yellows)Black Lion for Exotics (gold)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Don't waste it on masterwork, rares lv 70+ and higher only. People want ectos to craft, gamble and sell :)Yuo also can salvage ectos to get dust and luck.

Black Lion only if you want that sigil, rune, that can be costly or acc bound. Or if salving old exotic gear and want to save expensive runes/sigils.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:Copper fed for Fine and lower (blues and grays)Agreed.

Silver fed for masterworks and rares (greens and yellows)

• If you sort your masterworks, Silver-fed is okay on those with upgrades; don't use it on accessories or rune-less|sigil-less gear. Better still: use it only on control-enchanted sigil weapons, potence-enchanted armor.
  • If you don't bother sorting (and most of us won't), stick to copper-fed.
  • Silver-fed on L68 rares and above.

Black Lion for Exotics (gold)I don't recommend it unless you have BL kits overflowing the bank and few exotics. Instead, sell the exotics on the TP unless the rune|sigil can be sold for more than 30-40s beyond the price of the gear.

@Biff.5312 said:No, you get the ectos even with copper-fed. The reason for the upgrade is hopes of getting sigils/runes.Not as many. We used silver-fed on rare gear because it yields more than 60 copper worth of extra ecto.

But moreover now you have to weigh the value of each item before salvaging. It's back to individual item/stack salvaging, doing 'all' is now only viable if you're sure you don't want any of the runes.On the contrary, you can reasonably salvage-all using copper-fed. If you have time, you can earn more by sorting. But we're talking about a few gold more per thousand pieces of gear correctly salvaged. Not everyone has that kind of time.

@phs.6089 said:Don't waste it on masterwork, rares lv 70+ and higher only. People want ectos to craft, gamble and sell :)See above: under some circumstances, using silver-fed on masterwork is break-even compared to copper-fed. Under limited circumstances, it's significantly more profitable.

Also, the cutoff for salvaging rares is L68, not L70.

Archived