Why can core ranger use gazelle?

Math.5123

Okay, so this is something that has bothered me for some time now.Why is it that the pets are not bound by elite specs?

I see absolutely no reason as to why a soulbeast or a core ranger should be allowed to use smokescale, or why a core ranger should be able to use gazelle.No other class is getting this treatment. Can I equip an axe on my core guard? Or mantras?

This will actually add some flavor and choice as to which spec you actually pick.I know core pets lack damage, buff them if need be.

A good question. Wait till you drown in "BeCaUsE YoU eArN tHe PeT!!!! do you know how much time it takes to get them all??!??!?!??".

Why can't I use Herald's Facet of Nature on Core Revenant? It's basically the same question. I think that once you select HoT Spec, HoT pets are enabled in the Pet Panel. Same with PoF.If you select Core, you get none of the expansion pets.

Also, I love the fact that Smokescale (Ranger) has a better version of Revenant's SW#3 Unrelenting Assault. That's cool

@"DonArkanio.6419" said:A good question. Wait till you drown in "BeCaUsE YoU eArN tHe PeT!!!! do you know how much time it takes to get them all??!??!?!??".

This is the PvP forums.

@derd.6413 said:because pets aren't an espec mechanic. and ranger's pet is the only profession mechanic you can expand outside of especs. this is on top of the fact that the new pets have nothing to do wit the especs besides they're in an xpac.

They should be part of the espec.

Lemme guess, you're frustrated ranger can get access to one of the most reliable pets and you don't like that.

They are literally just pets. Core ranger doesn't have anything else but damage and no core pet is even remotely good, so why pick the bad choices? Why lock a class into clearly BAD choices?

Core ranger also literally has pets as utility and nothing else. Taking that away is unfair since it's got nothing else going for it. So it SHOULD have a wide variety of pets and access to said pets because THAT is their special thing. Druid has healing. Sb has the merge. Core ranger has the right to a large variety of pets.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:Lemme guess, you're frustrated ranger can get access to one of the most reliable pets and you don't like that.

They are literally just pets. Core ranger doesn't have anything else but damage and no core pet is even remotely good, so why pick the bad choices? Why lock a class into clearly BAD choices?

Because these pets come with the expansions.

Let's make a comparison od benefits.

Core Ranger player owns an expansion.

Core Warrior player owns an expansion.

Core Ranger benefits from owning expansion. Because not only it has a wider choice, it also uses pets that are far more powerful.

Core Warrior doesn't get any benefit from owning an expansion.

We are talking Class mechanics and competitive environment.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Lilyanna.9361 said:Lemme guess, you're frustrated ranger can get access to one of the most reliable pets and you don't like that.

Core Ranger benefits from owning expansion
. Because not only it has a wider choice, it also uses pets that are far more powerful.

Core Warrior
doesn't get any benefit
from owning an expansion.

Maybe they should buff every core class to core warrior levels, how would you like that? The core pets actually hit harder than HoT ones if you'd bother to check, main issue is that core pets are still balanced with 2012 gameplay in mind.....they never bothered to increase the movement speed of core pets...if they would you'd be here crying about drakes and felines

By the way Core warrior use a traitline Strength comparable to elite level given the amount of sustain ( might makes me right ) and utility it provides...it's the main reason why core warrior is leaps and bounds above other core specs

@Arheundel.6451 said:

. Because not only it has a wider choice, it also uses pets that are far more powerful.

Core Warrior
doesn't get any benefit

Maybe they should buff every core class to core warrior levels, how would you like that? The core pets actually hit harder than HoT ones if you'd bother to check, main issue is that core pets are still balanced with 2012 gameplay in mind.....they never bothered to increase the movement speed of core pets...if they would you'd be here crying about drakes and felines

Thank you. Core warrior has the most adaptable kit IN THE GAME. Core warrior could literally go through FIVE expansions and still be one of THE BEST core classes along with guard and thief.

Core RANGER cannot adapt in ANY way. Anet has not touched core pets in over FOUR years in any meaningful way, period. Moas can't touch you, drakes can't touch you, felines certainly can't touch you. The only pets that are decent are CANINES AND BEARS. Which once again, bears have no CC, and dogs you have to ramp via quickness and pray you land their knockdown on swap or your screwed.

Don't compare WARRIOR, the literal BEHEMOTH in terms of core classes compared to RANGER who didn't do crap unless they were running zoo. If they take expac pets away, ALL core pets deserve to get as much cc and AI improvement with buffed movement speed.

Doesn't sound too pretty thinking of constantly getting bitten by a cat on your leg for a constant Condi stream or a spider belching bigger clouds of poison on an AOE point huh?

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

Core Warrior
doesn't get any benefit

The example you provided is an imperfect analogy. Pets are not an elite spec mechanic, and therefore should not be compared to elite specs. Pets are a core class mechanic. As they are the only core class mechanic that gets additions, they have no direct comparable thing. As a side note, PLEASE stop comparing other classes’ elite spec mechanics such as facet of nature (an example I saw whilst reading this thread) to ranger. No other class has this sort of dynamic core mechanic, and therefore no other class can be accurately compared.

The closest parallel to the addition of new pets in expansions would be the additions of new gear stat sets to the game. For instance, Viper’s gear is obtained through HoT, just as the smoke scale is. Since neither Viper’s nor the smoke scale are an elite spec mechanic, they can be used without using the corresponding HoT elite spec. A similar analogy would be gliding or the use of mounts, as both are also available to core classes despite being from the expansion.

The OP’s argument is essentially saying that “expansion content should be only available to that expansion’s elite spec”. This would be analogous to saying that “You can only equip or use Viper’s stats, or use gliding, if you are playing a HoT elite spec”. This sort of logic is clearly flawed. Just because a feature was in an expansion does not mean it should not be available to core classes.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:Okay, so this is something that has bothered me for some time now.Why is it that the pets are not bound by elite specs?

I see absolutely no reason as to why a soulbeast or a core ranger should be allowed to use smokescale, or why a core ranger should be able to use gazelle.No other class is getting this treatment. Can I equip an axe on my core guard? Or mantras?

This will actually add some flavor and choice as to which spec you actually pick.I know core pets lack damage, buff them if need be.

Because pets are an upgrade to the Core Ranger kit, in the same way that other core kits have been upgraded over the years. Look at how strong Core Necro shroud skills are now compared to before HoT release. Look at what Engineer tool belt skills do now as compared to before HoT release. Just an upgrade to Core Ranger kit is all. And believe me, it is well needed. Core pets suck man. They are the only thing in the game that didn't get power crept along with everything else. The expansion pets are needed for Core Ranger kit.

Celestial Avatar and Glyphs are Druid tied.

Soulbeast Merge and Stances are Soulbeast tied.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Core Warrior
doesn't get any benefit

By the way Core warrior use a traitline
Strength
comparable to elite level given the amount of sustain ( might makes me right ) and utility it provides...it's the main reason why core warrior is leaps and bounds above other core specs

I am talking about the entirety of Core system.

Core classes, except Ranger, get nothing with expansions. Ranger does.That is the point.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@"Lilyanna.9361" said:Lemme guess, you're frustrated ranger can get access to one of the most reliable pets and you don't like that.

Core Warrior
doesn't get any benefit

Strength
comparable to elite level given the amount of sustain ( might makes me right ) and utility it provides...it's the main reason why core warrior is leaps and bounds above other core specs

Core classes, except Ranger, get nothing with expansions. Ranger does.That is the point.

It's kind of not the point though dude.

It has nothing to do with "where the content came from" it's about the balance in power.

It doesn't matter if Core Necro Shroud buffs over the years came from an expansion or not, it's that it was greatly enhanced, right along with things like bolstered Core Engi tool belt skills. So then you have something like a Core Ranger, whos' entire core class kit IS THE PET. But if the core pets are literally never once touched or buffed at all over the years, then the Core Ranger kit becomes very weak compared to the core classes who have received significant buffs to their kit. So the only way the Core Ranger CAN keep up with that, is through expansion pets.

Limiting specific pets to specific elite specs would mess with ranger balancing and force each spec to be balanced in part around which pets are available and cause even more division between the core class and elite specs with one of them and only one of them being defined as the best because it has access to a specific pet/ability and the others get pushed aside because they don't.

Would suck pretty hard if every Ranger was forced into Druid for the smokescale right?.. or Soulbeast for the Gazelle.. not to mention poor core Ranger who wouldn't be welcome anywhere because many of it's best builds which utalize expansion pets are diminished even more because they no longer can.

It's an unnecessary restriction that will do far more damage than good.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Lilyanna.9361" said:Lemme guess, you're frustrated ranger can get access to one of the most reliable pets and you don't like that.

Core Warrior
doesn't get any benefit

Strength

It's kind of not the point though dude.

It has nothing to do with "where the content came from" it's about the balance in power.

It doesn't matter if Core Necro Shroud buffs over the years came from an expansion or not, it's that it was greatly enhanced, right along with things like bolstered Core Engi tool belt skills. So then you have something like a Core Ranger, whos' entire core class kit IS THE PET. But if the core pets are literally never once touched or buffed at all over the years, then the Core Ranger kit becomes very weak compared to the core classes who have received significant buffs to their kit. So the only way the Core Ranger CAN keep up with that, is through expansion pets.

Core ranger is by a pretty big margin right now, the strongest core class. Thief I guess is a kind of close second. A Demolisher Speed rune core ranger should realistically never die, partly due to having on-demand stealth on either weapon set (GS combined with Smokescale and Longbow). Permanent 66% movement speed and a long channeled block on the GS coupled with evade frames and mobility.They shouldn't also have the opportunity to two-shot other classes because of the Gazelle. To have additional stealth because of the Smokescale, this is power-creep we do not need in the game.But I guess removing power-creep is only fine when it's the other classes.

Something I don't think anyone considered: Is it worth trying to change this given the vast array of problems the game has?

I know I'd rather see that dev time spent on redesigning Mirage, Firebrand, Scourge and clipping Holosmiths as well as generally toning down the game and power creep across the board.