Story is the worst experience you can have in terms of achievements

So lets get this out of the way first, im a bit retarded/ocdish :).

I am a player that really dispises having to do an instance over and over again. I wanna do something once and then be over with it (inc achievements) so if i fail an achievement i wanna reset the whole story instance. Turns out YA CANT. So i tried switching story steps in the journal (fair enough it warns you that you might lose progress). Now im at the beginning of all or nothing cus i wanted to nail the achievements from the karlkatorik fight in one go. I dont feel like playing through all those garbage steps just cus i assumed you could reset the instance.

I couldnt even do another attempt at the other achievements once i reloaded into the instance cus they got wiped too for me leaving :). Imo horrible player experience and i already am not a fan of this instance based story stuff.

• Like 1

The thing is i dont wanna finish it to go back. I wanna do the story step, if i fail achievement i want to reset everything and keep going back at it. If i fail i wanna go at it again and not go through the whole instance being like oh whatever ill do it again.

@elvian.7103 said:The thing is i dont wanna finish it to go back. I wanna do the story step, if i fail achievement i want to reset everything and keep going back at it. If i fail i wanna go at it again and not go through the whole instance being like oh whatever ill do it again.

Most of those achievements you are talking about are much, much faster and easier done in a group anyway. And let's face it, whether you reset within the instance or start over at the step required is pretty much a similar approach.

Its not a big deal for me, but I too would prefer to reset an instance if I wish to pursue a failed achievement rather than finish the instance and then start over.

For me, if I am pursuing an achievement, continuing what I would then consider a failure would deprive me of any further enjoyment of the instance.

@"Hesacon.8735" said:LW2 did it well. There was a mote to the effect of "did you screw it up, try again!" and it started you right where you needed to be to attempt it again. No cutscenes or slow moving NPCs, just you and the achievement.

In Season Two, did you not have to finish the Chapter before the Achievements would even 'unlock', and then, only for the same character?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Hesacon.8735" said:LW2 did it well. There was a mote to the effect of "did you screw it up, try again!" and it started you right where you needed to be to attempt it again. No cutscenes or slow moving NPCs, just you and the achievement.

In Season Two, did you not have to finish the Chapter before the Achievements would even 'unlock', and then, only for the same character?

Yes. Still annoys me today when I;m running alts through that I can't complete any of the few missing ones on the way through.

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:the worst is that you need 18 and only have 18 achievements. ( if i not missed hidden ones ).thats bad. there are many more on the map, why did they not include everyone in the meta achievement.

Yes, I'm surprised I haven't seen this talked about more. Every other living world episode from both seasons 3 and 4 came with 30-40 achievements, but always required less than that, and any achievements tied to that episode counted toward the meta, including hidden achievements. It was a step up from season 2, in my eyes. This made finishing the meta achievement much more enjoyable and less restrictive, as we could focus on only those achievements we were interested in. I don't know why they would change it now, nor why some achievements count towards the meta yet others do not. For some, I can see why they're "important" (story related), while some are just filler and I don't understand what makes them so important compared to others.

For example: Throwing 100 eternal embers at enemies counts towards the meta achievement, yet NONE of the skyscale achievements do. It just makes no sense to me. At this point, I'm only missing 3 achievements for the meta - 2 are story related and one is event related. Both story achievements are restricted - either timed, or I can't be hit by attacks - which means if I fail, I need to restart the instance over, and over, and over again. These are precisely the types of achievements I would have skipped in previous episodes, but now they are mandatory and it's quite discouraging and restricting.

@Esterie.7409 said:

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:the worst is that you need 18 and only have 18 achievements. ( if i not missed hidden ones ).thats bad. there are many more on the map, why did they not include everyone in the meta achievement.

Yes, I'm surprised I haven't seen this talked about more. Every other living world episode from both seasons 3 and 4 came with 30-40 achievements, but
always
required less than that, and
any
achievements tied to that episode counted toward the meta, including hidden achievements. It was a step up from season 2, in my eyes. This made finishing the meta achievement much more enjoyable and less restrictive, as we could focus on only those achievements we were interested in.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Making my own choice from the achievements for the meta-completion was fun. But having no choice and doing all listed ahievements for the meta is not so much fun and is a step down.