Bladesworn? I thought it was revenant.

Zera.9435

Just now, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

It's not, Gunblade is a common terminology that's used in other games. PSO2 has it as a weapon type as well, League of Legends has it as a legendary item named Hextech Gunblade, WoW has The Gunblade

I think ANet is just playing it safe with the Gunsaber name. 

See?  I thought so. Bladesworn is just a weird name for a gun-toting swordsman. They could have done better and they had so many options. But noooooooo, they had to make up some funky new word that is both confusing and unfit to name a gun-toting swordsman.

Gunsword, gunblade, gunsaber, boomsword, pop & slash, crackstab, pewcutter. Any one of these names imply the use of a gun and a sword. I know some are really silly, but they at least scream out "Oh yeah, that's using a gun and a sword. That sounds fun!"

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It look like they are just going to mix FF14's Gunbreaker and Samurai and then dilute it into one trait line.

I am far from impressed by this elite specialization.

They could have given us an actual support specialization, but all Warrior gets is yet another flavour of banner DPS.

It's almost like Arenanet wants to confirm players' suspicions that Warrior isn't allowed to have anything nice.

Fueki I'm sorry but right now with the state Warrior is in with its DPS specs in any competitive PvP content...it does not need a support elite spec. I know Banners are not fun and Banners as a mechanic is just unimaginative and boring but thats more on the fact that they should probably rework banners more than they have and actually change the effects and bonuses banners apply while active; think how Scrapper Gyros were reworked and just attach the banners to our kitten characters finally but also add in some actual pulsing AoE boons to pair alongside their current effects.

I'm still skeptical of many things to do with the Bladesworn, but I'm just glad that, at least at a glance, its not a support specialization. That is the absolute last thing Warrior needs going into the coming expansion.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

See?  I thought so. Bladesworn is just a weird name for a gun-toting swordsman. They could have done better and they had so many options. But noooooooo, they had to make up some funky new word that is both confusing and unfit to name a gun-toting swordsman.

Gunsword, gunblade, gunsaber, boomsword, pop & slash, crackstab, pewcutter. Any one of these names imply the use of a gun and a sword. I know some are really silly, but they at least scream out "Oh yeah, that's using a gun and a sword. That sounds fun!"

I agree it totally makes no sense just like the Harbinger should be called Iron Maiden. The espec has one defining element and they totally ignore it. This is almost as stupid a naming as it was when they introduced the Dragonhunter. Also what is this Fusion into a greatsword? Is this a kitskill? An elite kit skill at that?

9 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The Gunblade itself no, but what to call the wielder is where the conundrum comes in.

Then gunblade would be a suitable name for the spec. It would be much better than bladesworn, which is the point I was making from the very beginning. This entire thread has been about how the name bladesworn is really weird for the spec.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, makagoto.1204 said:

Why not Bladerunner? Oops wait...

At least my warrior can finally use blades, because that's a complete novum.

I was thinking let's just go full weeb and call it "Bladegunner" or "Magnum Edge" cuz those make more sense than Bladesworn at this point. I don't mind the name Bladesworn personally, but if we're gonna match E-Spec name to their full function, yeah I think a gun reference would be needed. 

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923

1 hour ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Fueki I'm sorry but right now with the state Warrior is in with its DPS specs in any competitive PvP content...it does not need a support elite spec. I know Banners are not fun and Banners as a mechanic is just unimaginative and boring but thats more on the fact that they should probably rework banners more than they have and actually change the effects and bonuses banners apply while active; think how Scrapper Gyros were reworked and just attach the banners to our kitten characters finally but also add in some actual pulsing AoE boons to pair alongside their current effects.

I'm still skeptical of many things to do with the Bladesworn, but I'm just glad that, at least at a glance, its not a support specialization. That is the absolute last thing Warrior needs going into the coming expansion.

Why do you believe that Bladesworn is going to be allowed to be good in PvP longterm when core, Berserker and Spellbreaker aren't?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Looks like they just literally took the gunblade from FF14 and made it a DPS class for GW2. 

Prolly the best move ever if real. 

Gunblade is a cool weapon realistically, and it makes the proffession flashier without some weird introduction of a form "magic". It keeps the specc based on steel and brutality. 

I doubt it's alike gunblade from FFXIV however. Judging by the animations it's running on bullets and not "magic" alike the gunblade in FFXIV. So I doubt carries the same "magic" theme gunblade does. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Katary.7096 said:

Why do you believe that Bladesworn is going to be allowed to be good in PvP longterm when core, Berserker and Spellbreaker aren't?

It doesn't need to be good. Just needs to better then what we currently have. 

Spellbreaker is still our most optimal choice weather considered good or not. Its good in ranked play. Just not the optimal choice realistically. 

Edited by Daddy.8125

6 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

I doubt it's alike gunblade from FFXIV however. Judging by the animations it's running on bullets and not "magic" alike the gunblade in FFXIV. So I doubt carries the same "magic" theme gunblade does.

They literally mention in the trailer that the Gunsaber uses magically imbued cartridges.

It's the very same concept as Gunbreakers using magical bullets.

7 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

It doesn't need to be good. Just needs to better then what we currently have. 

Spellbreaker is still our most optimal choice weather considered good or not. Its good in ranked play. Just not the optimal choice realistically.

What primarily needs to be better is core Warrior, not a bolted on elite specialization.

Bladesworn should be around were Reaper is and Berserker needs to get buffed to that level, too.

Then core Warrior needs a flat 20%-30% buff across the board.

If the increased damage only comes from Bladesworn, it will just be bad every other part of Warrior.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Katary.7096 said:

I don't. Note that I say "I'm still skeptical of many things to do with the Bladesworn" but we don't know what will happen for sure until it happens. You think I have faith in ANet after I quit the game after having stuck with it for 15~ years? I was convinced before the teaser video that Warrior was going to get a support oriented elite spec with this because making it an actual gunblade-type of offensive class is too low of a hanging fruit for them despite it looking like exactly that in the teaser silhouette.

5 hours ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

Watching the trailer I thought "Oh cool, rev is getting greatsword." because the animations looked like that of a two-handed sword swing. Then the shooting started and I got confused. Then it was revealed that it's actually the warrior spec with off-hand pistol. I love the idea of giving the warrior an off-hand pistol... but bladesworn? Such a misleading and unfitting name.

This is one of those rare occasions where I will advocate for the low-hanging fruit and just call it gunblade. Love the spec idea, but the current name is just... well it will likely be shortened to bs by the community. Take that for what you will.

I dont think they can use the name Gunblade since it's originated from Final fantasy 8.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gunblade_(weapon_type)

Edited by Caedmon.6798
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

I dont think they can use the name Gunblade since it's originated from Final fantasy 8.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gunblade_(weapon_type)

It's actually not something invented by square and copyrighted by any means. It's only the combination of 2 already existing words. It's already being used by a multitude of other games.

Even if you try avoid using it, why not call the spec Gunsworn instead of Bladesworn?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bladesworn sounds best as the guardian espec name actually, since they're sworn to protect the emperor. But they have a history of making non-sensical names for guardian especs so I guess that's not gonna happen. For what it's worth, harbinger makes no sense for alchemists either, and virtuoso's class abilities aren't even melodic in the slightest. So, come on, join the club.