can males weild greatswords.. NOT LIKE BATS.

Artyport.2084

3 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

This so much.

I hate spin to win animations in any game.  There's nothing practical about it and it doesn't even look good.

Spinning around in combat has only been done in the history of never.

Yeah, that's always been a peeve of mine since it's generally the only way most games can figure out how to make a melee AoE.

It's also the same with dodge rolling~ no one's going to dodge roll in reality and it's surprising how few games choose lunging to the side instead. For Honor is one I can think of off the top of my head. 

I'd totally take max althetics Elder Scrolls Oblivion dodges any day though. 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:48 PM, Rogue.8235 said:

showcases some actual zweihander stances used during feudal times

I leave you guys to comment on it as I don't know much about zweihanders.

Oh, heh, RL people actually did the weird Dark Knight overhead shovel stance they do in FFXIV. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

It's also the same with dodge rolling~ no one's going to dodge roll in reality and it's surprising how few games choose lunging to the side instead. For Honor is one I can think of off the top of my head. 

This too.  I always laugh when actors roll around during a firefight in movies and tv shows.  Yeah that's not at all how it works...

However, I do like how revenant's disappear into the mists when the dodge.  

The worst offender is d/d daredevil.  seriously, how many spinning-backflip-somersault dagger attacks do you need to do?

"Yes."  - condi daredevils

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rogue.8235 said:

This too.  I always laugh when actors roll around during a firefight in movies and tv shows.  Yeah that's not at all how it works...

However, I do like how revenant's disappear into the mists when the dodge.  

The worst offender is d/d daredevil.  seriously, how many spinning-backflip-somersault dagger attacks do you need to do?

"Yes."  - condi daredevils

Feels like a superhero. Which I’m totally fine with.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 8:48 PM, Rogue.8235 said:

showcases some actual zweihander stances used during feudal times

I leave you guys to comment on it as I don't know much about zweihanders.

Edit:  Read the web page.  It seems like female characters use the Nebenhut  / Posta Coda Longa  stance.

So it's not an anime stance but a feudal European stance.

It's also analogous to the waki-kamae stance in kendo, albeit with the GW2 women having awful posture while doing it. Granted, the standard/basic kendo stances are for two-handed swords that are notably lighter and shorter than zweihänder types, so there are different expectations in place as to how the sword-wielder can move and react.

So yeah. It could easily be an anime stance, just with terrible posture.

7 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

It's also analogous to the waki-kamae stance in kendo, albeit with the GW2 women having awful posture while doing it. Granted, the standard/basic kendo stances are for two-handed swords that are notably lighter and shorter than zweihänder types, so there are different expectations in place as to how the sword-wielder can move and react.

So yeah. It could easily be an anime stance, just with terrible posture.

I'm realizing how universal the concept of hiding the length of the blade is.  Looked up kendo stances and they mention hiding the length of the blade just like the sweihander stances.  

So that's another thing, GW2 stances are no good for hiding the length of the blade because.... well... the blade is usually bigger than the person carrying it.  

So, female characters in GW2 are attempting the equivalent of hiding an elephant behind a telephone pole all while having bad posture.

Wonder if that's what ArenaNet was going for.

• 2 weeks later...

i am the opposite, i so enormously dislike the female greatsword stance, i never use greatswords, exept on charr, charr hold them in a normal way. 

i know the nebenhut is an official zweihander stance, but its not a good one, its an illusion stance, to make the opponent think your weak, perfect for mesmers i guess, not for warriors/guardians.

normally if you hold a weapon to point the pointy part towards the opponent, like what Charr do.

but i have a feeling it all comes from the misconception that greatswords are heavy, they are not, max 3kg and you hold it in 2 hands, they have the weight of holding a carton of milk in in each hand.

funny thing is, there are youtube videos about what would be the best weapon for a woman, or someone whit lesser average bodystrength, and the answer is the greatsword, not a bow as a bow still requires alot of strength, but a greatsword because you hold it in 2 hands the 3kg weight is split between 2 hands, making it easier to use if you have less average strength.

but it would be nice if we can select stance options

• Confused 2