• the F5
    • the traits
    • lack of combo fields/auras
    • lack of mobility
    • lack of condi cleanse
    • everything, trash it all and start again
    • nothing significant, it's mostly fine
    • something else

No one is talking about how slow the hammer is in terms of getting damage in. 

Many of the hammer skills act like warrior's gs2 and that just ruins the hammer for example the air attunement hammer 2 does the tornado spin, why not make it a cast and forget? The damage it does is not worth the time it takes to use it.

Also skill 3 could be an instant cast move or at least the second 3 where you shoot the orbs. 

In conclusion, the hammer skills are too slow for what they do, hammer lacks cast and forget moves. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

For me the key failure is the lack of differentiation from dagger and sword. Hammer is basically an inferior version of sword but with a nearly identical playstyle. Hammer really should be a true mix of ranged and melee -- there should be a 600-900 range skill in each attunment, not just 2.

Also just 1 field in the entire kit. What is the point of the aura traits if there is only 1 field? 

The whole stationary field/energy mechanic is REALLY REALLY bad in its current form - both in terms of the concept of playing around a  stationary field and in terms of implementation, using an arbitrary new energy resource that really adds nothing. IMO just scrap energy completely and have separate field CDs per attunement with fixed duration. 

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 5

Here is my opinion:

Condi catalyst with dagger/focus does awesome job in pve. The damage is very high and noting that i had just 43% bleeding and burning duration because of the trash runes in the rune bag. 

Power cata on the other hand does not good. The sustain is low, the damage is low. 

And the thing that increases all your stats (forgot the name) is too hard to get. I mean dagger/focus is maybe the best setup for ccs and auras. But you cant effectively keep up 10 stacks all the time. (Talking about the trait that doubles the bonus while having 10 stacks)

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

I think the mechanic itself is flawed. When you play tempest you need to overload, when you play weaver you want ro play the dual skills.

This F5 is just ignorable, you can do your core ele stuff with a better traitline and ignore the new mechanic 

I also predict that hammer, which is the place where the dev spent more time, will be usable only in rare scenarios and not in competitive gameplay

• Like 6

I am not sure if the designers are playing this in the beta test against live players ( I hope they are ) Maybe they tested it out on a Golem that just stands still never moves or attacks you back.  Any player can see  your huge telegraphed attacks and just simply move out of the way they don't even need to dodge. I wish I knew a way for them to fix it but nothing comes to mind. 600 range is not what I would even consider a ranged weapon. anyone with a REAL ranged weapon with more than 600 range is never going to fear a catalyst. Seams like the Catalyst is Doomed from what I see.

• Like 11

3 traits only to pile up the "cool" buff, but actually you can't even maintain the 10 stacks unless you play an uneffective build (Arcane surge, arcanes skills, and only play with earth attunement to spam immob (remember Strengt Of Stone has a icd of 3sec, so you can't even stack blleding with this build)).
It's a JOKE.
Harbinger has the same issue with 3 full lines only to increase one playstyle each (power, elixirs, condi), but at least it works.

Same with the traits on auras; actually the "aura spam" is bad. Sure you have a combo field, and a trait to earn an aura on each combo every 10sec .... but on Hammer you don't have field, F5 doesn't stay long, and your finishers have 30sec CD. So actually you never have aura. Weaver spam aura more effectively with fire traitlane. So again a full line in the traitlane totaly useless, you can't stack the buffs properly.

TOO MUCH TRAITS to pile uneffectives buffs.
Traits should give option to specialize the F5 into self-sustain, group support or damage etc. 

Plus I'd like to refresh memory : look at the differents buffs on weaver, then look at the buffs (you struggle to earn and maintain) on catalyst, do you really think they are worth it for real ? I could play without any trait I don't think i'll see the difference in term of sustain or dps.
Edit* this is solo gameplay / pvp modes complaint; not full boons punching golem benchmark with tempest auraspam etc.

The F5. Energy-inefficient. Doesn't trigger the Persisting flames. Only one value : give common boons, and quickness. Nothing else; no reanimation no heal, no projectil block, no damage, no condition, no stab, no aura detonation, no buff. 
Hammer too slow, too weak, no mobility. Orbs too clunky (big issue of hitbox, it doesn't hit mobs coming at melee).
Augments, honestly I've tried them 10 minutes, I don't even remember the effect except it was bad.

The e-spec is just bad. No harmony, nothing works together, hammer, weapons, utility skills, jade sphere, other traitlanes ... they just cohabit with clunky synergy; held by pieces of string.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'll rate the originality:

- Mechanism: a mix of tempest overload and scrapper gyro. A not-so-great mechanism mixed with a not-so-great mechanism to make "meh" mechanism activated by a F5. Note: 3/10

- Auras: a "meh" mechanism that was already exploited by tempest. 1/10

- Hammer: Some points for skills#3. Some points for the ability to play both mid and melee range. Everything else feel reused. Minus points for some area of clunckyness. 5/10.

- Augments: A new set of stances after weaver? Really? 1/10

- Elemental empowerment: a mechanism that increase stat by a %age. It's a bit cluncky but original, I'll give it a 7/10.

Overall note: 3.4/10

• Like 2

If you want to play a Aura Ele play a Tempest with overloads that end in a Aura no need to combo anything fancy just hit one button and move your character over the target. to many other weapons produce fields with much less cool down timers. the hammer is just so slow and not fun at all nothing even close to the attack speeds of daggers and swords.

Would have been cool to have a Arcane Rifle that shot magic bullets

Edited by Merrex.5384
  • Like 8

Honestly, I like some of the ideas but I hate how it plays because it doesn't commit to one thing. It lacks a punch, for lack of a better term. I understand they didn't want to go full melee and tried to keep some ranged so as not to step on Weaver's toes, but the result feels weightless. They could go for melee/mid-range heavy control hammer abilities, and for goodness sake please change the f5 to something a bit more... natural? A builder/spender elementalist seems a bit unnatural, it's a class that often has to wait to set up combo fields or abilities for a satisfying payoff, sure, but the jade sphere takes quite a long time to set up, offers no immediate game-changing advantage and then is on a short, frustrating timer, not to mention the utility skills are extremely inferior outside of that limited time.

All in all, it needs a rework. Change the way jade sphere works, fix hammer animations and give that weapon more of a clear-cut purpose.

• Like 3

From what I'm seeing Hammer skill 3 should be redesign, the orbs should be tied to the attunements like in fire each fire spell grants an orb(same for other attunements) max 4 orbs, dealing minor damage passing through enemy's, orbs give 1/2% damage bonus per orb. F5 is the new grand finale dealing good amount of damage, applying the conditions and granting boons(fire-might, air-quickness etc). The jade tech spheres just just be wells replacing the augment skills.

• Like 2

When I first saw him play it against the golem I was thinking how cool it was but then I realised he has 0 second cooldowns turned on to all his skills so can do cool combos and get auras forever sure of course.  In Reality you cant do any of the awesome stuff you saw him do in the video with normal 30 second cool downs.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Catalyst is terrible, it's not even good as a roamer in WvW because of its hybrid nature, a lot of its offensive mid ranged attacks can be blocked, absorbed or reflected. Might as well continue to play a Weaver.  I will believe Anet cares about this profession when I will see Arcane Mage Elementalists  topping the DPS meters.

Nah I am sorry I really 🤨 mesmer/guard/necro specs and kept hoping their design is boring cause the classes already have too much they are sick of balancing them (which is lame way to design imo) but with catalyst??? Uh uh...expecting very little of the expac now. Catalyst is such a cool name but this gameplay is too brain dead and feels like someone wanted to throw the concept and go home it is not creative sorry I don't care if it benches a million.

The e specs so far lack interesting new mechanics for how interestingly they are named...its all a bunch of remixes or even removal of mechanics all together...there you go press that "meme" button big damage/or whatever. None feel like a "vibe" fantasy wise.

Tempest was already the "aura heavy" spec to repeat the concept is not interesting...unless multiple other things were introduced which that was the case with most especs. Pure stats is extremley lazy leave that to gear..or minor traits even.

I suspect its pointless to suggest themes or that anything will be reworked...but if they like made it more about you summoning the f5 then your f5 does things for you that are animated in a cool way (ritualist vibe) that wouldve been perhaps interesting and a new vibe for ele not the current utility they are way too bland...it being just a glorified boon/field zone is way too boring for how animated the sprites are?.

Hammer has a few cool spells then a bunch of extremley bland fillers..look at staff every single skill feels iconic and flavorful..hammer does not feel like that at all just a bunch of interesting random stuff (air tornado and push away and the orbs kind of?) which maybe was better of in one hand while you guys just amp f5 feel and concept.

Alas...if all the especs have the same bland design my hopes for anything of the expac are abyssmal at this point.

I squinted when I saw the artwork for gunbreaker extreme copycat..old armor?? with bullets around the wrist???...how would you not feel embarrassed using that?? Was it designed by someone new who doesnt understand how basic that armor set is...ok I need to cool off lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do not want a class that needs a group in order to be great !!!   I need a class that can solo well and if I group with others they enjoy having me because I help make them great with boons buffs and other perks. I want to have groups ask for my class by name in the LFG channels.   But I guess this role as  already been  taken by the Guardian ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1