Mechanist was my last hope for a cool elite spec

Kahrgan.7401

But instead of big robot arm punchy kit, we get a pet.

I havent been less excited about an expansion pack in any game than I am right now.

It's either going to be OP or it will be lame and reworked in a year (cough scrapper cough)

Pet AI isn't fun to me. It's like playing a trap class, passive dmg is  lame. 

• Like 12
  • Confused 12

I hoped for a Mech spec, but a pilotable one. I wanted Mech to be Engineer's Shroud, with its own health bar and stuff. It would have been sooooo cool.

Instead we get a pet spec with terrible AI, boring and not so useful commands in place of toolbelt, the entire traitline that gives engi nothing when pet is dead, boring weapon, no real customization and zero chances of being playable outside of openworld farming.

It is the worst case scenario imaginable.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

I hoped for a Mech spec, but a pilotable one. I wanted Mech to be Engineer's Shroud, with its own health bar and stuff. It would have been sooooo cool.

Instead we get a pet spec with terrible AI, boring and not so useful commands in place of toolbelt, the entire traitline that gives engi nothing when pet is dead, boring weapon, no real customization and zero chances of being playable outside of openworld farming.

It is the worst case scenario imaginable.

Took it all from my fingertips.

+1

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kahrgan.7401 said:

But instead of big robot arm punchy kit, we get a pet.

I havent been less excited about an expansion pack in any game than I am right now.

It's either going to be OP or it will be lame and reworked in a year (cough scrapper cough)

Pet AI isn't fun to me. It's like playing a trap class, passive dmg is  lame. 

So I suppose you haven't pre ordered the expansion then? As you aren't excited for the expansion pack.

Anyway, you have Holosmith and you have Scrapper to play if you don't like the PET class. You even have 8 other classes to play with as well. I mean I get the fact that you want a cool new spec for every class but I think you should also understand that not every spec will vibe with you. I like Necro with Reaper and Harbinger but I do not like Scourge even if it is OP so yeah things happen.

I am super excited for the Mechanist and wonder how it will play and what kind of improvements we could see on the class after BETA :D.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It is a little bit too early to call it a failure. Once we have done an extended field test, we can judge better. Even if the AI is gyro-level horrible, I'm certain we can figure out something to get it working. We even did that with the old gyros. You would not play Engineer if you cannot handle bugs.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Biggest problem I have: It replaces toolbelt skills (which I like a lot!) and it isn't really as customizable as pets. Just a few traits that change each skill. (Vs. tons of different pets for a ranger.)

Would have at least preferred to have unlockable options besides this to customize the skills. And the traits only focusing on other stuff.

Probably limiting the builds since I guess ... most people will then just take all the signets - instead of using another utility where you can't use the toolbelts.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 5

Ya this will be a casual PvE spec in its current state, nothing more. After about an hour of play I am convinced its fundamentally broken in all the ways people expected based on the demo and tooltips.

This is 100% Scrapper again, ANet will release it completely broken and maybe in 3-4 years get around to making it worth playing.

This spec has no synergy with current engineer mechanics or skills, removes our toolbelts where ANet put a lot of power, removes an entire traitline from the engineer. The literal best part is they tied stats to traits AGAIN even after they realized what  a mistake that ways 8 years ago in the core game when they reworked it. They also added an AI Pet AGAIN to engineer even after they had to scrap their entire Gyro concept. 

People defending this spec as it is have either 1. not played it at all or 2. would defend anything ANet creates.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RobinotX.1604 said:

Anyway, you have Holosmith and you have Scrapper to play if you don't like the PET class. You even have 8 other classes to play with as well.

This is the worst argument possible. Players are usually attached to their classes and with new expansions they want to get something new and cool for their classes

3 hours ago, RobinotX.1604 said:

I mean I get the fact that you want a cool new spec for every class but I think you should also understand that not every spec will vibe with you.

It is not about vibe, it is about being functional and playable in most content. Currently all we, Engi players, get is a spec, that works only in casual openworld content. Which is not something to be happy about, because EVERYTHING works in casual openworld content.

52 minutes ago, displacedTitan.6897 said:

People defending this spec as it is have either 1. not played it at all or 2. would defend anything ANet creates.

This.
Some people just see some flashy cool looking stuff and it is enough for them to defend it. But then reality hits hard, when there is nothing really fun and engaging to play under this flashiness.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

This is the worst argument possible. Players are usually attached to their classes and with new expansions they want to get something new and cool for their classes

It is not about vibe, it is about being functional and playable in most content. Currently all we, Engi players, get is a spec, that works only in casual openworld content. Which is not something to be happy about, because EVERYTHING works in casual openworld content.

This.
Some people just see some flashy cool looking stuff and it is enough for them to defend it. But then reality hits hard, when there is nothing really fun and engaging to play under this flashiness.

I just played it and I like it it is flashy and works.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RobinotX.1604 said:

I just played it and I like it it is flashy and works.

Sure it looks very cool and in casual openworld pve where you can literally select any combination of gear/traits/utilities it will be fine. This cannot be the bar against which we judge a new spec, or an old one frankly, every spec should be COMPETITIVE in at least one of those modes or its just a failure. As it is this wont be used in Fractals/Raids (high level PvE), WvW (roaming or zerg play) or sPVP. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, displacedTitan.6897 said:

Sure it looks very cool and in casual openworld pve where you can literally select any combination of gear/traits/utilities it will be fine. This cannot be the bar against which we judge a new spec, or an old one frankly, every spec should be COMPETITIVE in at least one of those modes or its just a failure. As it is this wont be used in Fractals/Raids (high level PvE), WvW (roaming or zerg play) or sPVP. 

You don't know where this will be used or not or why people will use it or not. Again, more of this crystal ball stuff going on. It's fun fiction, but speculation isn't a reason to change a class. 

And actually, you are not the person that determines the 'bar' that is used to judge a new spec. Why can't it's PVE performance be the bar to judge the spec? Because you don't like PVE? 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

This.

spec is only viable in casual open world content but is currently doing very well in pvp. strange.

something must be wrong, something has gotta be off. a bug maybe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love it, mechanist reminds me of the mechromancer from borderlands, and with an asura mechanist I get my gaige+deathtrap vibes all over again.

Sure the spec has some glaring design issues and probably won't be 'meta' for anything, and might not even have a spot in group content, but it sure as hell is fun to play.

20 hours ago, displacedTitan.6897 said:

Ya this will be a casual PvE spec in its current state, nothing more. After about an hour of play I am convinced its fundamentally broken in all the ways people expected based on the demo and tooltips.

This is 100% Scrapper again, ANet will release it completely broken and maybe in 3-4 years get around to making it worth playing.

This spec has no synergy with current engineer mechanics or skills, removes our toolbelts where ANet put a lot of power, removes an entire traitline from the engineer. The literal best part is they tied stats to traits AGAIN even after they realized what  a mistake that ways 8 years ago in the core game when they reworked it. They also added an AI Pet AGAIN to engineer even after they had to scrap their entire Gyro concept. 

Silly assumptions. I like the class because it reminds me of a class I mained for years in a different game, thus this makes your 1 and 2 invalid forcing you to need a 3rd option to make the other two valid again 😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

Not exactly the worst argument possible. It is a valid argument. You can like a class and dislike certain elite specs.

Prime example, I dislike engi as a whole prior to this elite spec launching. I like this elite spec. Yes everyone wants something new and cool but you literally cannot please everyone. It is impossible, someone will be unhappy about something. With that said, it makes the argument actually a valid one