Lack of content reveals due to "spoilers" is starting to feel like an excuse.

I could buy it when you told us that echovald had stuff removed for spoilers ok, i was skeptical but i also accepted it when you emptied the entire jade sea map but its getting silly at this point.

The character reveals were very much starved and the arborstone reveal a huge disappointment because it was just a big seemingly empty waste of dev time. Not sure what type of gameplay was revealed with this last stream. (i assume exploration?)

As someone that was excited about the types of combat related gameplay or active types of gameplay with eod not only im sorely let down so far, but im skeptical that this type of gameplay might not be all that good so you hide it under the guise of spoilers.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11

I believe the content is there, but their “spoiler-free” policy is reaching far past the point of absurdity now. A new customer who doesn’t play the game and doesn’t have any reason to trust Anet has no idea what this expansion offers them gameplay wise! It’s just all wordy promises and running around empty maps! Anet, you have to actually show us something repeatable. What are we doing after week 1 of this expansion. Their marketing strategy is like a restaurant menu that just says “food”. 

I just cannot believe that every meta, every strike, every piece of actual gameplay contains a massive spoiler that players right now would understand. Teasers aren’t wrong when we don’t have the context to even understand what we are seeing!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Did you all forget the lead up to HoT and PoF?

They have shown WAY more of EoD than they ever showed of the 2 previous expansions before release 

For HoT and PoF we only got to see like 1/3 of the very first map with most events disabled and that was it.

This community is literally the epitome of "give an inch, they ask for a mile"

You might not care about spoilers but many others do, and once they are out there it will be pretty much impossible to hide yourself from them.

If you want to know exactly whats in the expansion then you can wait till release before you decide to buy it, otherwise you all just sound like a bunch of impatient children throwing a tantrum you cant peek at your presents before Christmas 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 5

I understanding wanting to stay away from story spoilers, but spoiling one meta event, or even the point of the map you're trying to showcase is fine. First because no one is forced to watch those streams if they want a spoiler free experience, but secondly because you actually need to display the content of your game, and not show the vistas and what is basically an empty map. Marketing always has been abysmal with Anet, but we're reaching new highs.

Anyway, I'd rather hold my judgement regarding content when the expansion is out, but what they decide to show and not show is very puzzling to say the least.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

They haven't even dropped a single hint at the reason why we travel there in the first place and why Aurene wants to go there.

Does she learn about Kuunavang and wants to have a talk between benevolent dragons?

Did she sense Selbbub in that area?

Did she sniff the Aetherblades in the Mists and wants to confront them?

Even if they completely hide the rest of the plot, Arenanet ought to at least tell us the reason why we venture there.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

But what if the spoiler is that we shift perspective midway through the expansion and the pact commander is the actual antagonist of the story? See, suddenly everything from the Jade Sea and onwards becomes a massive spoiler which would actually justify them not showing anything. Well it's either that or them taking not wanting to show anything a bit to far.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I must agree, I find it a bit unfortunate for everyone involved that they approach revealing game this way, I haven't seen any mmo go to such lengths to not show and take pride in what they have made, surely there must be things you can show that are a bit more exiting. 

I respect them if its their decision but its not the first time it ended up with the community feeling disappointed. Seeing a world boss or event even if it may be a slight spoiler won't take away from the experience killing it.

I hope they do another stream before holydays to rectify this.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Its stupid to say "its not a big spoiler if they show us this" when you dont even know what it is in the first place .

And its equally stupid to say "you dont have to watch the streams if you dont want to be spoiled". This isn't like when a movie comes out and you can avoid specific subreddits for a few days to not spoil yourself, this is a ongoing social game, any spoilers that come to light will be discussed in game by players guarenteed, you cant hide for 3 months from spoilers while continuing to play the game and keep an eye on the forums and reddit for new non spoiler information. 

You dont need to know the story 3 months before release 

You dont need to see everything in the new maps before you get there

If you feel like you need to know these things before you purchase the expansion thats fine, but you're just gonna have to wait just like everyone else to find out after release.

But in reality most of the people complaining about this stuff aren't doing it because they truly are depending on knowing this stuff to inform their purchase, they just want to complain about something like they always do, simple as that

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

Yeah in PoF/HoT there was a strong lead in where we knew some basic information about why we were there. We didn't know about Exalted/Rata Novus or what was going on in Vabbi but we knew what our motivation and allegiances were going in. They told us a lot about characters but not about how WE interact with them, like I guess the Jade Brotherhood are an enemy faction and we're working with the Emperor but why we would even get involved isn't clear. Or how helping/antagonizing other groups is helping us achieve our goals. Or what our basic goals in Cantha even are.

It's like if I ranted to a friend that doesn't play GW2 how much I like Rytlock, and I tell them "yeah Rytlock is a loner who goes against the grain of Charr hierarchy". They have no idea if that is good or bad, or what that even means in the broader context of the story, any number of personality traits I give them don't make up for context, nor does saying something like "Him and Logan used to be best buds".

It's also weird what gets shown in the trailers vs what they show us in the stream. In Jade Sea they didn't want to show the Jade Maw event, like we know what it looks like since it was in the trailer and I really doubt it was entirely reprogrammed. They showed us one boss in Shing Jea and that was fine so I don't know what the big deal is. I don't think when I get to these maps that I'm really going to say to myself "wow glad they didn't spoil this it would have been huge if I knew at the time"

At this point I'm starting to think the next dragon might be floating in the sky above Cantha, because they said even in the guild hall they didn't want to turn a certain direction. That was also less of an issue in Echovald where the skybox didn't seem visible. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

Its stupid to say "its not a big spoiler if they show us this" when you dont even know what it is in the first place .

If you don’t even know what it is then how do you even know you’re being spoiled?

The Whisper of Jormag was the main antagonist for a story episode but if you just saw the strike fight would you know that? No, it’s just a large icebrood Norn. 

For HoT, should they reveal the Mouth of Mordemoth fight? No, but they can show off fighting one of his lane bosses. Revealing some gameplay is not revealing all gameplay no matter how much you conflate the two. Anet spending entire streams running around empty zones giggling about how the content is actually there and looking at walls and cats is not exciting or marketable, end of story.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

If you don’t even know what it is then how do you even know you’re being spoiled?

The Whisper of Jormag was the main antagonist for a story episode but if you just saw the strike fight would you know that? No, it’s just a large icebrood Norn. 

For HoT, should they reveal the Mouth of Mordemoth fight? No, but they can show off fighting one of his lane bosses. Revealing some gameplay is not revealing all gameplay no matter how much you conflate the two. Anet spending entire streams running around empty zones giggling about how the content is actually there and looking at walls and cats is not exciting or marketable, end of story.

Anet DOES know what it is, and they think it would be a spoiler to show us, so they aren't. End of story

They have shown us SIGNIFICANTLY  more of EoDs content than they ever showed of the previous 2 expansions combined before release and you guys are acting like they are suddenly being more secretive than usual. If this was business as usual for anet that first shing jae stream would have been the extent of any content shown until release. They are actually showing quite a lot of EoD but nothing short of a full playthrough would satisfy some of you habitual whiners.

Like i said before 

"Give them an inch, and they'll ask for a mile"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

A new customer who doesn’t play the game and doesn’t have any reason to trust Anet has no idea what this expansion offers them gameplay wise! It’s just all wordy promises and running around empty maps!

I don't trust them even as an old customer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

Did you all forget the lead up to HoT and PoF?

They have shown WAY more of EoD than they ever showed of the 2 previous expansions before release 

For HoT and PoF we only got to see like 1/3 of the very first map with most events disabled and that was it.

This community is literally the epitome of "give an inch, they ask for a mile"

You might not care about spoilers but many others do, and once they are out there it will be pretty much impossible to hide yourself from them.

If you want to know exactly whats in the expansion then you can wait till release before you decide to buy it, otherwise you all just sound like a bunch of impatient children throwing a tantrum you cant peek at your presents before Christmas 

Yeah with HoT, anet kept up the lie that they were against Expansions period,,, up until Living Story 2 revealed HoT. 

Edited by Ausar.9542
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, Ausar.9542 said:

Yeah with HoT, anet kept up the lie that they were against Expansions period,,, up until Living Story 2 revealed HoT. 

Way to twist the narrative to fit your pessimistic outlook on everything. 

Anet never said they were against expansions "period"

They said they believed they could support the game through live updates and didn't plan on making expansions, they at some point internally changed their mind and decided to make an expansion 

You're trying to make it sound like anet was on some anti expansion pack crusade before HoT and then suddenly flipped the script when that was never the case

They tried living world, it didn't quite live up to expectations and then they changed their approach, thats it.

There was no "lies" being told

Edited by Kayberz.5346
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Kayberz.5346 said:

Way to twist the narrative to fit your pessimistic outlook on everything. 

Anet never said they were against expansions "period"

They said they believed they could support the game through live updates and didn't plan on making expansions, they at some point internally changed their mind and decided to make an expansion 

You're trying to make it sound like anet was on some anti expansion pack crusade before HoT and then suddenly flipped the script when that was never the case

Yes they did say they were not going the route of Expansions and that Living Story was the better option. They never publically stated they changed their mind on this until HoT was revealed at the end of Living Story2. If you have proof otherwise please share. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

Just now, Ausar.9542 said:

Yes they did say they were not going the route of Expansions and that Living Story was the better option. They never publically stated they changed their mind on this until HoT was revealed at the end of Living Story2. If you have proof otherwise please share. 

Again, you're literally twisting the narrative 

Show me a quote where anet said "we will never make expansions for gw2"

And them saying they dont plan to make expansions and then changing their mind is NOT the same thing as "lieing" about never making expansions 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

Again, you're literally twisting the narrative 

Show me a quote where anet said "we will never make expansions for gw2"

And them saying they dont plan to make expansions and then changing their mind is NOT the same thing as "lieing" about never making expansions 

Saying that they not going to make expansions because Living World was better,

but not stating publically that they changed their mind on this until they revealed that they were making an Expansion

sounds misleading/deceptive. But you go ahead and move the goalpost. Show me were they publically stated that they support the idea of making expansions for GW2 prior to Living Story 2 HoT reveal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

And its equally stupid to say "you dont have to watch the streams if you dont want to be spoiled". This isn't like when a movie comes out and you can avoid specific subreddits for a few days to not spoil yourself, this is a ongoing social game, any spoilers that come to light will be discussed in game by players guarenteed, you cant hide for 3 months from spoilers while continuing to play the game and keep an eye on the forums and reddit for new non spoiler information.

I think that's an important point. I didn't watch the stream, but I had a running narrative in guild chat from people who were watching it, and comments in Discord, Twitter and Facebook groups afterwards.

I don't mind spoilers, but if I wanted to avoid them I'd basically have to avoid everyone I know who plays GW2 (including my guilds) until the expansion is released, which isn't practical. At least this way they can't give away anything Anet thinks is important.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

They haven't even dropped a single hint at the reason why we travel there in the first place and why Aurene wants to go there.

Does she learn about Kuunavang and wants to have a talk between benevolent dragons?

Did she sense Selbbub in that area?

Did she sniff the Aetherblades in the Mists and wants to confront them?

Even if they completely hide the rest of the plot, Arenanet ought to at least tell us the reason why we venture there.

Why are we going there? We'll know when we start playing through the eod story. Seriously, what a weird complaint.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

You dont need to know the story 3 months before release 

You dont need to see everything in the new maps before you get there

If you feel like you need to know these things before you purchase the expansion thats fine, but you're just gonna have to wait just like everyone else to find out after release.

But in reality most of the people complaining about this stuff aren't doing it because they truly are depending on knowing this stuff to inform their purchase, they just want to complain about something like they always do, simple as that

Context os half the plot so without context what constitutes a spoiler and what doesnt is alot more tame to walk around. If we fight a big kitten turtle in a strike that tells us nothing without the context.

• Confused 5

16 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Context os half the plot so without context what constitutes a spoiler and what doesnt is alot more tame to walk around. If we fight a big kitten turtle in a strike that tells us nothing without the context.

you're making the assumption that some of the strikes have fights that wouldn't be spoilers, which is likely not the case

We know that all the new strike missions are going to be replaying parts of the main EoD story, so naturally its kinda obvious that most if not all the major encounters in the story that would be justifiably made into a strike mission are probably significant and would be filled with story relevant spoilers 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1