new player, are warriors that bad?

Mooncake.5278

And that is the thing though isn't it?

A good player will do okay on Warrior, they'll get kills but they also take some losses because of that one botched critical moment where something was just a few frames off. Whereas an okay to bad player can play some build on the other professions and do just as good. Hell, I get reminded of how easy it is to get kills on other professions whenever I press 2 on my Soulbeast, or just AA in Reaper Shroud on my necro.

• Thanks 1

If you're talking statistically, then yeah, but I definitely do better on war than other classes. Because there's a ton of counter play due to full counter, the dodges from MMR, the CC, the mobility, etc. You just need to know the match ups. I won't disagree that we need some buffs or some hard balance on all classes

Basically, with ranger it's easier to beat other players that I would already beat on warrior but if the other player is equal skill, I'd rather take warrior. Depending on the class obviously, I just run away from full trailblazer condi builds in wvw.

That's for me specifically tho, I've been a war main almost the entire time I've been playing the game, but I do take your point. If I had the same time played in ranger maybe my answer would be different

Edited by FunkyBassline.5289

Yeah, I'd rather be on warrior as well. Yes warrior has some counterplay, but not the kind that can utterly shut down another players gameplay outside of CC chaining. That doesn't get you as far in WvW unless you have guildmates/friends to do the damage for you.

To your second point, anyone who losses to a warrior player probably would have lost to that player regardless of profession played. That's my opinion though and others are free to disagree. 

Full TB condi players can be hard ngl, but Defiant Stance for all I hate it really turns the tables on them. Pop that and a resistance then go whole hog on them.

• Like 2

For newer players, a definite YES. It is that bad. You will struggle. Us warrior veterans, on the other hand, have had years of practice throughout the years of the game's release when warrior was in a better state. We were fortunate in that regard. And now...(shakes head)...It's very telling when even veteran players start to feel the pinch. It's like that mediocre anime called "Dragonball Z" where you feel like you're Piccolo with the weighted clothes...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

For newer players, a definite YES. It is that bad. You will struggle. Us warrior veterans, on the other hand, have had years of practice throughout the years of the game's release when warrior was in a better state. We were fortunate in that regard. And now...(shakes head)...It's very telling when even veteran players start to feel the pinch. It's like that mediocre anime called "Dragonball Z" where you feel like you're Piccolo with the weighted clothes...

Well I started playing warrior 9-10 months ago, I can confirm. Took me 2-3 months to be able to semi-consistently get a kill 1v1, basically. After almost an year now on war, I feel a lot more confident in 1v1, the profession is not that bad.

But a week ago I hopped on SB, that I've only played on and off in pve, and gs+axe+warhorn just annihilates in terms of damage output and sustain, compared to warrior. It was actually jaw dropping how much easier it is to do damage... When I read on the forum "well warrior is too simple and so it has to be worse" I can only laugh and remember playing ranger that 1 time (or better, remember playing power guard and doing more damage just with a staff symbol).

(at this point I mainly do wvw duels and roaming)

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Well I started playing warrior 9-10 months ago, I can confirm. Took me 2-3 months to be able to semi-consistently get a kill 1v1, basically. After almost an year now on war, I feel a lot more confident in 1v1, the profession is not that bad.

But a week ago I hopped on SB, that I've only played on and off in pve, and gs+axe+warhorn just annihilates in terms of damage output and sustain, compared to warrior. It was actually jaw dropping how much easier it is to do damage... When I read on the forum "well warrior is too simple and so it has to be worse" I can only laugh and remember playing ranger that 1 time (or better, remember playing power guard and doing more damage just with a staff symbol).

(at this point I mainly do wvw duels and roaming)

wArRIoR iS ToO sImPlE. As of Soulbeast LB2 isn't the easiest way to get a kill from 1500 range in the game.

Edit: I'm agreeing here, I realized after posting you might have read that as poking at you and not the ones you were talking about.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910

On 12/16/2021 at 8:36 AM, Pati.2438 said:

All in all warrior does okayish in PvE (since it plays on Banners..... remove Banners and Warrior is trash in PvE cause of too low dps). In PvP Warriors Bad or okayish, it depends on what Situation you play.

So all in all warrior is in the worst Spot it ever was. How ever its at least funny to play so just go on and play it 😁!

I see nothing to back this up...

I mean I see ALOT of tears, woe-is-me and junk like that but not much mention of what can be done, or not done. And then I stumble on this....https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Strength_Fighter

How can that be so bad? "Looks" fun enough on paper and comments back it up? I dont PVP so cannot speak to the state or lack thereof of Warrior in that gamemode...but dang that SB looks like what some folks are asking for? 

I could be way off though, and its all going to hit the fan in like a month or so anyways.  😉

Edited by Joxer.6024

1 hour ago, Joxer.6024 said:

I see nothing to back this up...

I mean I see ALOT of tears, woe-is-me and junk like that but not much mention of what can be done, or not done. And then I stumble on this....https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Strength_Fighter

How can that be so bad? "Looks" fun enough on paper and comments back it up? I dont PVP so cannot speak to the state or lack thereof of Warrior in that gamemode...but dang that SB looks like what some folks are asking for? 

I could be way off though, and its all going to hit the fan in like a month or so anyways.  😉

Because everything works in OWPvE, even double dagger necro. PvE isn't what got the Uber nerf hammer. You can solo almost every content that can be soloed on any profession in PvE.

Just now, Joxer.6024 said:

So its the PVP end I take it? 

The conversation is almost completely focused on PvP and WvW and to a lesser degree on instanced PvE due to Banners being the laziest and dumbest idea for support ever that makes most Warriors feel forced to use them, and some indeed get kicked for refusing to run them.

FotM? Banners not needed, and you can play what you want without issue. OWPvE? DRMS? Strikes? You can pretty much play what you want, though some groups will be appalled at you not running banners in Strikes. Raids? Banner kitten. Speed runs? Banner kitten.

Zerg? Bubble kitten.

Other PvP/WvW? You're the thief's kitten.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The conversation is almost completely focused on PvP and WvW and to a lesser degree on instanced PvE due to Banners being the laziest and dumbest idea for support ever that makes most Warriors feel forced to use them, and some indeed get kicked for refusing to run them.

I have always wondered as to ANET's thought process on having a WARRIOR, of all classes, have to worry about running around carrying a cheerleading flag....makes no sense, lol. now, having it be a  passive for the build you have, that would be handy as and free up the Warriors hands to actually be the said masters of weapon wielding for once!  😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

I have always wondered as to ANET's thought process on having a WARRIOR, of all classes, have to worry about running around carrying a cheerleading flag....makes no sense, lol. now, having it be a  passive for the build you have, that would be handy as and free up the Warriors hands to actually be the said masters of weapon wielding for once!  😉

cuz they know by removing banner warrior will be come completely irrelevant as other classes even with similar dps, will bring something extra that helps with the clear in their tool kit.

43 minutes ago, Joxer.6024 said:

For a Class that "sucks" as much as people claim it does why does it sit at #4 most played??? Odd....and believe me, I agree, for a Heavy Armor WARRIOR its just a tad squishy.

but still.............https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics

How much of that is pve though? Cause in open world, war is pretty good. And the rotation for instances seems quite simple, compared to other ones I've seen.

I can tell you how few wars I see in wvw. In spvp its somewhat better, often its either me in the game or me and another war on either team.

17 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

How much of that is pve though? Cause in open world, war is pretty good. And the rotation for instances seems quite simple, compared to other ones I've seen.

I can tell you how few wars I see in wvw. In spvp its somewhat better, often its either me in the game or me and another war on either team.

Good point! And i have no clue as how to  find out but maybe someone can figure it out.  

1 hour ago, Joxer.6024 said:

For a Class that "sucks" as much as people claim it does why does it sit at #4 most played??? Odd....and believe me, I agree, for a Heavy Armor WARRIOR its just a tad squishy.

People roll Warrior for weekly black lion key. It used to be a more common practice but some people still do it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Because for some joly good reason they don't wanna bring back Paragon, yet they shredded it apart to give some to Guardian, some to whichever other classes, even a god darn librarian, and so instead of giving Warriors Chants, Echoes, etc... they decided to make them as much Cinderela like as possible, and give it some of the laziest skill sets ever conceived in a videogame... so Warrior chants were born in the form of banner.

So we went backwards instead of fowards.

They seem to have some issues with Warrior as a whole and even more so with Paragon.

You be the judge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Human warrior is also one of the fastest ways to get the lvl 10 BL key once per week for free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Human warrior is also one of the fastest ways to get the lvl 10 BL key once per week for free.

Very much this.

I have a warrior that sees a fair amount of playtime, but he's not my main. But human warrior for weekly key farm? The only class/race I use week in and week out.

I think one other reason that site may show such numbers is that warrior/fighter/brawler is a fantasy mmo staple, and how many players "learn the ropes" in a game new to them. GW2's version, however, does not follow those norms, and I find it likely that a sizeable chunk of those warrior numbers end up either abandoned, relegated to mule duty, or simply left undeleted to gather anniversary and birthday rewards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lan Deathrider.5910 
Main issue on warrior is that it does not have multiple consistent kill condition moves on one build like ranger or holo, you have to sacrifice something defense or damage, both of these do not do that. To be as effective as them you need defensive abilities block and dodge on one weapon while also having mobility skill and one skill that does over the average 4k strong attack damage, both weapon sets have to do that, holo and ranger get extra with the ranged attacks also. Ranger has rapid fire, maul into smokescale assault world impact on the LB/GS set, warrior has GS burst, but has to decide does it want a shield or does it want to do damage on the second set so you can't have both like holo or range at the same time.
Also both Holo and Ranger have higher reach on their melee weapons or special attack skills, Maul has 220 reach , Worldly impact is 240 aoe, Holo forge has 240 basic attack and all other melee skills are  300 range fun stuff even the Leap skill on the sword is 240 reach Radiant arc after the leap. 
And then you have warrior with 130 range on GS on everything (150 arcing slice lol), like it makes so much kittening sense that greatsword has the reach of dagger, like why would you ever get a big kitten two handed weapon that is supposed to have reach but it didnt and a butter knife could do the same , then you have maul on ranger GS that performs the actual reason to get a kitten big weapon.

The people at anet are kittening inconsistent in their basic core design what is left for more complex one. Fun stuff here, it's like different people that do not speak to each other work on different classes and those working on warrior are lazy as kitten, like who ever is in charge on other classes cares about some little tit bits that actually matter allot and polishes it but one warrior throw a katata that doesn't synergies by any shape of form with the class but it looks cool, throw kitten at the wall maybe something will stick. How the kitten does Anet fail so much with the basic warrior.        

• Like 2

@Vancho.8750, Jesus Christ don't get me started on the reach BS...

Like seriously, why the hell does dagger in melee have the same reach as GS or Hammer, or even sword for that matter.

Here is a fun thought exercise (and yes there is a clap back at a particular patch):
Standardize attacks to "Standard multiples of 60"

Dagger, Shield: 60 range on the actual melee swings

Sword, Axe, Mace, Rifle Butt: 120 range on the actual melee swings

Greatsword, Hammer: 180 range on the actual melee swings

• Like 2