new player, are warriors that bad?

Mooncake.5278

On 12/15/2021 at 5:19 PM, Mooncake.5278 said:

hey! new player here and i rolled a ranger, they are fun but warriors have always been my play style. i heard bad things about them so avoided them for my first character and went ranger with great sword...but its just not the same...so my question is..can warriors still excel at pvp without the dagger strength build and also in pve? thanks

War is fine but it takes more skill than the other classes to be successful with it.

Just now, Zizekent.2398 said:

"Warrior is fine, but everybody else is just better and easier" i don't know you, but sounds like a notorious contradiction to me xD

That is such a deliberate, bad-faith misreading of what I said. I said it takes more skill than other classes to be successful with it, not that other classes are better. Rev takes more skill than ranger but you never see ranger mains on the top of the leaderboards… 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Poelala.2830 said:

It does not have shortcomings when you learn to play the class well. Skill itself is the main shortcoming.

Wait, so you have to play better on war than on every other profession, for equal results, but war has no shortcomings? I am very confused.

Can you explain why I have to play better on war than on ranger?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Wait, so you have to play better on war than on every other profession, for equal results, but war has no shortcomings? I am very confused.

Can you explain why I have to play better on war than on ranger?

For one, ranger has less survivability, raw damage, teamfight capability, sustain, and condition clear than warrior. It is an excellent +1 and duelist (versus some matchups) but even then it, at skill cap compared to warrior at skill cap is inferior in many ways. And no, warrior does not require more skill than “every other profession” and I never claimed as such.

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Poelala.2830 said:

For one, ranger has less survivability, raw damage, teamfight capability, sustain, and condition clear than warrior. It is an excellent +1 and duelist (versus some matchups) but even then it, at skill cap compared to warrior at skill cap is inferior in many ways. And no, warrior does not require more skill than “every other profession” and I never claimed as such.

Wait, so ranger has less of everything but warrior is harder to play? I still don't understand. And how is it an excellent duelist, if war is not, but has more of everything?

1 hour ago, Poelala.2830 said:

War is fine but it takes more skill than the other classes to be successful with it.

Let me quote you again in case you forgot what you wrote literally an hour ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 6:03 AM, Vancho.8750 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 

And then you have warrior with 130 range on GS on everything (150 arcing slice lol), like it makes so much kittening sense that greatsword has the reach of dagger, like why would you ever get a big kitten two handed weapon that is supposed to have reach but it didnt and a butter knife could do the same , then you have maul on ranger GS that performs the actual reason to get a kitten big weapon.

This is a good point, having better range on GS/Hammer would actually make a big difference.

I think some minor tweaks like that would make war feel so much beetter. Another being let magebane pull ALL THE WAY TOO YOU like DH F1, bonus points if made manually triggerable. And the ever living meme that is Rush, like, just steal the rock gazelle SB animation, can't remember the skill name, and stick it on GS 5.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 5:48 PM, Hotride.2187 said:

Wait, so ranger has less of everything but warrior is harder to play? I still don't understand. And how is it an excellent duelist, if war is not, but has more of everything?

"Warrior is the hardest class to play, but I lose to it sometimes so it must be fine. I cannot advocate for buffing it because that would make my life harder and/or turn a select few warrior mains I have difficulty beating into monsters. "

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Bladesworn is such an insult that I quit the game. 

I play since Gw1.

40k AP,  15k hours in game, almost a full legendary armory. 

And I don't see me coming back.

Lets hope that they fix it before release or at least greatly revamp Core, Berserker, and Spellbreaker in their promised balance patch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Bladesworn is such an insult that I quit the game. 

I play since Gw1.

40k AP,  15k hours in game, almost a full legendary armory. 

And I don't see me coming back.

Same boat... didnt log ever since. Playing since GW1 vanilla, all its expansions and playing gw2 since release.

I finally had it with ANet. I dont trust this company to fix the mess they got into. I simply think they lack the tools to do it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mesket.5728 said:

Same boat... didnt log ever since. Playing since GW1 vanilla, all its expansions and playing gw2 since release.

I finally had it with ANet. I dont trust this company to fix the mess they got into. I simply think they lack the tools to do it.

They def won't admit it. I'm waiting to see how well EoD will do on release...And wait...to see how many problems will pile up.

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the reason there is no formal release date, yet even though it is supposed to be released in February is because they are fixing everything wrong with the garbage especs they rolled out.

i am pretty sure it's because lost ark is coming out and gw2 won't stand a chance against a release of a game of that caliber. It would not surprise me if anet would delay the expac release for that reason alone.

The new expac with it's 4 pve maps and the imo trash warrior elite spec won't bring me back into this game. I bought the 4000 gems editions for the last two expacs instantly when they were available but this time the money went into lost ark.

It's been close to two years since the feb 2020 patch when warrior was utterly destroyed in wvw/pvp and it has to be clear to anybody that anet simply does not care about warrior at all.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, Hotride.2187 said:

Well I started playing warrior 9-10 months ago, I can confirm. Took me 2-3 months to be able to semi-consistently get a kill 1v1, basically. After almost an year now on war, I feel a lot more confident in 1v1, the profession is not that bad.

But a week ago I hopped on SB, that I've only played on and off in pve, and gs+axe+warhorn just annihilates in terms of damage output and sustain, compared to warrior. It was actually jaw dropping how much easier it is to do damage... When I read on the forum "well warrior is too simple and so it has to be worse" I can only laugh and remember playing ranger that 1 time (or better, remember playing power guard and doing more damage just with a staff symbol).

(at this point I mainly do wvw duels and roaming)

Well the thing is, SB removing the Rangers pet mechanic makes it one of the easiest elites to play, because what it essentially does is instead of adding mechanics like most elites, this removes the only mechanic Ranger had. At that point the only state change is weapon swap, and the keys are limited. The main issue with Ranger though is just the pure projectile hate creep, against good players Rangers do find it hard to get kills, when pressing "2" actually kills yourself. You still need good timing however at least it gives you a chance to beat good players. 

Compared to Untamed, which adds multiple mechanics including unleash and pet mechanics on top of adding back the pet all for less damage but more work. You'd have to compare Warrior to Untamed, requires more skill to pull off for less reward and less survivability. Where bad players get owned and it takes a long time to learn everything including how you can maybe beat other classes and good players can beat mediocre other players on better classes. 

But tbh, they have not cared about pvp balance since HoT. I highly doubt any change they make cares about pvp balance at all, I mean Bladesworn came out with the ability to jump over its abilities. You can dodge a Bladesworn by jumping. Makes you think all testing they do is 100% pve based and pvp players are just left to fend for themselves. 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Zizekent.2398 said:

"Warrior is fine, but everybody else is just better and easier" i don't know you, but sounds like a notorious contradiction to me xD

Why play a warrior if u can perorm better with lower effort on reaper? lol

Ive played reaper in the past and then made a warrior... well im deleting the warrior soon so ill make my reaper back....  theres only one melee class wich is REAPER.

And thats the balance problem  some classes trade offs are real and heavy others its a fake trade off.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

On 1/22/2022 at 4:34 PM, Poelala.2830 said:

which clearly not the case, other classes can compensate with skills, as their skills have higher skill ceiling which allows for more outplays. 

warrior's skill ceiling is so low that it is hard to use "more skill" to be successful. which is way warrior is only played in top end while its ''op'' and completely forgotten in top end when its underpowered, because warrior's skill ceiling is too low for compensation.

even ele and ranger can be seen played even tho their jobs arent so great either.

as some one who played warrior since 2013 and multi classed later on, same as most other OG warriors, the limit is so easily reached compared to other classes and it makes you feel powerless and time wasted, as warrior is only played when its OP and it can be easily played by any decent player when it's op. and when its UP, your hard work with warrior cant compensate anything.

and also there are couple of ranger on top20 top10 even before i quit the game 1 year ago.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Why play a warrior if u can perorm better with lower effort on reaper? lol

Why play warrior? Why is this a question. To play warrior is to become a living weapon. A single focus on the slaughter of the masses who stand before you. To choose to bring death upon your enemies. 

Warrior is not interested in controlling death, Warrior is the bringer of death, the harbinger of the end, the physical manifestation of the force of a thousand exploding suns. Using the puppets of warrior’s kills is a paltry trick. It may amuse the rich, terrify the poor, harm the defenseless, and threaten those with means to defend themselves, but they are cheap imitation at best. Just shadows of what warrior once killed.

So why play warrior? Why do you eat? Or sleep? Or kitten? You don’t think about it, you just do it. It’s who you are, deep down, coded in your DNA. You can try to run from it, try to hide from it, deny it, but you can’t change what you are. 

Edited by oscuro.9720

@Gorem.8104 actually if you play bladesworn only for hit dragonslash then you doing something wrong. Im pvp you where only use dragonslash for a cc. But deal damage where on blade skill Nr 2 and 3 while you where sweap to axe pistol to deal high damage if enemy is in melee range. How ever they killed bladesworn in second meta by remove stability from flow stabaliser

• Like 1