Anyone else hates the rifle thematically

Delorean.6174

I have no problems with the gameplay aspect of the rifle but god does it suck on a conceptual level. It's not even really a rifle since most skills are shotgun-styled and autoattack is hip-firing, whereas pretty much all of  the skins are rifles/sniper rifles, including the only legendary we have(not including the boat because it's clown kitten that no one sane will ever use). Makes it really unimmersive and unsatisfying to use, I would really much rather have something like warrior or deadeye have. 

Edited by Delorean.6174
  • Like 7

Well engineer lack weapons and rifle IS  currently the only contender as far as 1200 range weapon goes. Yes some people will say "just use the mortar" and 1) it sucks at long range shot 2) it isnt great for balancing.

I dont mind having a shotgun, in fact it would probably be more fun to play, however that would mean Anet needs to add another weapon that will give the engineer 1200 range. The easiest pick would be a longbow or a staff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Well engineer lack weapons and rifle IS  currently the only contender as far as 1200 range weapon goes. Yes some people will say "just use the mortar" and 1) it sucks at long range shot 2) it isnt great for balancing.

I dont mind having a shotgun, in fact it would probably be more fun to play, however that would mean Anet needs to add another weapon that will give the engineer 1200 range. The easiest pick would be a longbow or a staff. 

They may do that if they ever consider a Elite Spec that can modify and change Engineer's main weapon skills through some kind of Elite Spec mechanic.

I had a thought about this in my "What Elite Spec you want to see next?" post and it has been a Elite Spec I wish to see for a long time since theme wise it does fit Engineer through the concept of Main Weapon modification using their engineering skills.

I believe it maybe a potential elite spec for maybe dagger or greatsword due to the focus on modifying and using Main Weapon.

I am honestly surprised that the developers have not consider this yet as a potential Elite Spec since it will certainly be a interesting path for Engineer where they can modify or change up their Main Weapon skills through some kind of Elite Spec mechanic such as instead of kits replacing the Main Weapon, each kit changes the Main Weapon skills based on the kit being used so each Main Weapon will have their base 5 skills (3 or 2 skills for one-handed weapons) and 7 other new sets of Main weapon skills based on each Kit. Maybe more if they add new kits to this Elite Spec.

Of course there is consideration they have consider this but decided to not do it since it will require too many new Main Weapon skills or not gameplay changing enough. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

Back when HoT released, there were these cool Special Combat Airborne Recon units (SCAR) in Tangled Depths. During some of their events, you could run over and pick up a SCAR scrap rifle. I thought to myself, ArenaNet just needs to copy/paste that weapon template into the Engineer's rifle and it would be purrrfect. It was just an amazing weapon to use and I loved it so soo much. It was just a natural fit for our profession. I still hold out hope that one day it will happen, but for now it continues to be a dream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love how the OP is mostly concerned with the aesthetics/concept but the thread immediately devolved into gameplay complaints. Welcome to the Professions forum! 😁

Honestly, I don't think there's a dearth of shotgun-like skins in the game. Sure, you don't get any proper double-barreled shotgun skins but I don't particularly even want that. There's a ton of blunderbuss-type skins with a wide bore that work well enough aesthetically.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah, and I hope they'll delete Tool Kit, give base engie Mace with the 1-3 of Tool Kit, but, you know, that train has sailed. Doubly so now that EoD gets the mace instead of, say, a scepter.

Core is in dire need of a main hand weapon. Is also in dire need of a melee weapon. Observe how *all* espec weapons for engie are melee.

Engi's Rifle is just a hodge-podge of ideas which don't work together, both gameplay wise and thematically. 
Pistol is also more or less the same thing imo. 

I say both Rifle and Pistol should just be reworked. 
Rifle - reworked into a full ranged kit without nonsense like Rifle 3 Blunderbuss. 

P/P - reworked into dual shotguns which inflict Bleeds on auto. In fact since Pistol currently already works like "shooting different ammo types", it makes more sense to turn them into shotguns since you can thematically "load different shells" 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dracomet.3648 said:

You don't need a 1200 range weapon.

You've never tried to cloud a zerg I see.

IMO to be "unique", the engie ranged should have been reversed. The rifle should have been the shotgun "melee cleave" weapon of core engie while the pistol mainhand should have been the 1200 range option.

Or at 900 range, at least have the kitten rate of fire its supposed to. Hip fire is just as fast yet is supposed to be 50% slower because it makes up for it in range.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ariurotl.3718 said:

I love how the OP is mostly concerned with the aesthetics/concept but the thread immediately devolved into gameplay complaints. Welcome to the Professions forum! 😁

Honestly, I don't think there's a dearth of shotgun-like skins in the game. Sure, you don't get any proper double-barreled shotgun skins but I don't particularly even want that. There's a ton of blunderbuss-type skins with a wide bore that work well enough aesthetically.

Well both aesthetics and gameplay function are relevent as their main weapon skill design is meant to represent the weapon by appearance as well.

Thief got the sniper rifle skills with their rifle skills and warrior got the basic Assault rifle skills.

Engineer is meant more to be a scout rifle that can fire different types of bullets or atleast meant to be some kind of shotgun with different bullet types. Personally I always saw Engineer rifle skills meant to be a shotgun with different ammo types.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

Now that I think about it, Deadeye introduce the kneel ability which change the skill of the rifle.

Anet can always make an "aim stance" and a "hip fire stance" for the engi rifle.  Aim stance would be your normal 1200 range shooting and some new skill like I dont know, a headshot that stuns the enemy for instance. Hip fire stance would basically be a shotgun. The shotgun stance could use the current rifle #3 #4 and #5 while the aim stance would have the #2 and a few more skill.

I say there are some kits that could be reworked to fill the missing roles. Plus the other Rifles in the game are all like long snipers, let's just have Engineers lean into the shotgun aspect since it's obvious that's what they wanted to go for.anyway.

Thematically Bomb, Grenade and Mortar are kinda similar and boring, but I'll keep Mortar since it does have its niche in utility for CC and heals/cleanse.

Make Rifle a close range, melee/450 ish range shotgun thing entirely.

Remove Pistol 4/5 and replace with some useful 900 range thing.

Merge Bomb and Grenade kit together and call it "Explosives Kit". Big Ole Bomb takes the toolbelt. Skill 1 is a bomb throw AA instead of ground. I also want to merge the Throw Mines into this kit because it's kinda lame on its own. Have some new Gadget replace it. Use your imagination.

Now we have a missing kit. Make that the Rocket Launcher kit or the Gattling gun kit. There you go, your 1200 range pew pew weapon.

• Like 3

Pistol 4 reworked into a flare instead of a flame-thrower cone? Shoot at 900, deal damage and burn stacks to target, damage and burn stacks around target (so target gets twice the damage and stacks as someone standing next to them)? Glue Shot can stay as is.

Also, Tool Kit? Deleted. Give the core engie base mace as mainhand with Tool Kit's 1-3 as 1-3. The TK 4 and 5 are basically offhand shield anyway.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dracomet.3648 said:

Now we have a missing kit. Make that the Rocket Launcher kit or the Gattling gun kit. There you go, your 1200 range pew pew weapon.

I would REALLY love a rocket launcher kit... especially since there are already charzookas... why doesn't engi have a rocket launcher?

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:41 AM, Delorean.6174 said:

I have no problems with the gameplay aspect of the rifle but god does it suck on a conceptual level. It's not even really a rifle since most skills are shotgun-styled and autoattack is hip-firing, whereas pretty much all of  the skins are rifles/sniper rifles, including the only legendary we have(not including the boat because it's clown kitten that no one sane will ever use). Makes it really unimmersive and unsatisfying to use, I would really much rather have something like warrior or deadeye have. 

As someone who has the boat I can confirm this.