I think our main priority should be growing the PvP playerbase

xblankk.4207

6 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

I didnt want a debate... it was just a report of what i experienced with my little experiment.

My Thesis was: ALOT of people in Gw2 just straight up LOVE to teach new players about the game. Just ask for help in a major city and your /w will EXPLODE. I wanted to see if it is the same in sPvP. So i decided to act like a noob. I wanted to know if people would be more understanding of my possible mistakes and try to help me get better, maybe even tell me that i am playing good and that i should continue playing pvp,  or if they would stick to the stereotypical behaviours that we know from some parts of the pvp community. And the outcome was shocking...   JUST 1 GUY /w  me and explained some things to me. I duoQed with him and pulled him all the way to Plat in the following 10 games.... after a few games he noticed what i was doing from how i was playing. But the majority of people did the complete opposite of what i expected to happen. I thought people would understand that i am new and dont be so rough with me. BUT THE EXACT OPPOSITE HAPPENED. they blamed EVERYTHING on me, no matter if something was my fault or not.

coming back to your post....

Known Streamer <-> Someone that is supposedly new to the gamemode.... 

Difference. Totally diffrent concept but you are not wrong. people blame everyone and especially the teefs 😄 we need working chatrules/reports and afkban-systems ASAP

I was agreeing with you. 

On 2/5/2022 at 4:16 AM, oscuro.9720 said:

Well I’d venture to guess that one of the main reasons people don’t take to pvp is that the community is incredibly toxic.
So each and every person can definitely make a change by being a nice, helpful person who is encouraging to their teammates! 

I would disagree, it is not so much a case of the community being toxic as opposed to certain members of it being in denial, this unortunately hampers changes that are needed in the game and then makes the game toxic because straight forward nerfs to toxic game mechanics are pushed away leaving problems in the game for maybe even years at a time.

Edited by Stalima.5490
  • Confused 1

Just thought I'd add my opinion here as a veteran player that used to do sPvP but quit it entirely. It had nothing to do with "toxicity".. in any competitive game or game mode that's just something you have to accept - it's going to be present regardless of what game you play.

These are the reasons I quit:

1. - Removal of amulets/sigils/runes. This ultimately removed build choice/creativity/fun; allowing you to create a PvP style unique to your set of play. Now everything feels the same.

2. - skills were made unimpactful. At the upper tiers of play, slow wind-up but punishing skills didn't have the same impact as they would at lower tiers, where people with lag and/or slow reflexes were punished... HARD. I largely blame the sPvP community for this rather than anet - the constant whine has led the mode to a point where spam, outnumbering an opponent, and excessive cooldowns has led to a BORING/skilless PvP environment.

3. - Merging of players with vast skill difference. It's boring both for veteran/higher ranked players to crush new players and discouraging for new players to get crushed. Some of the worst examples being where you can do everything right, even above and beyond: 1vXing (and winning said fights), have all the top stats with no deaths, etc and still lose the match because you're paired with player(s) who have no clue where to go, how to cap a point, or get entirely shut out by 1-2 players from the opposing team. Progression on the flip side often occurs because you farm the baddies on the opposing team rather then have fun with players around your ability.

This is just my opinion so feel free to disagree, but there are many competent former sPvP players as well I know as well who have gone solely to WvW because of the same/similar reasons. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I apologize in advance - this will be long!  But building context is necessary to understand my conclusions.

I agree - the PvP scene does need to grow.  With so many amazingly well thought out design decisions around gear normalization, build templating, amazing character flexibility, virtually zero barriers of entry you would think PvP would be swarming with players.  But it's not.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I will speak for myself as to why I think that is.  According to GW2 efficiency I've played 2096 PvP matches, was Dragon rank many years ago.  I'm certainly no expert on the PVP scene anymore (never was ha!), but I have made my rounds.  For me personally, I love the thrill of fighting other players.  That is why I PvP.  I find the 5v5 Conquest game mode to be somewhat problematic in this regard.

As I played more and more I found myself fighting the game mode more than other players.  Meaning, my skill as a combatant, my class, my build, all those things I LOVE to theory craft and put together didn't mean NEARLY as much as my knowledge of map rotation and where I fit into the role of my team.  Where I fit into the role of my team was difficult enough to figure out sometimes, even as a veteran player.  I had to quickly evaluate my teammates and where I fit in.  Additionally, when to rotate here, when to rotate there, when to not rotate at all, was drastically more vital to victory than my ability to perform a combo, or combat awareness to peel for my teammate, or interrupt that critical skill from an enemy.  And my teammates would let me know about it.

For any new player that can be intimidating.  They come in to PvP and want to fight other players, but end up finding out that the thief build they brought in?  Yeah, it serves no purpose in this game mode.  You can't decap effectively, you don't rotate properly etc.. You don't fill the role a thief is expected to fill for your team.

The fact that it's only 5v5 tends to bring out more elitism and toxicity.  There are many more opportunities for 1v1 mano a mano type fights.  Nothing fuels the ego faster than 1v1.  When that ego meets ruin, we get toxicity.  That absolutely does happen in any competitive environment for sure, but it tends to happen more in these types of 1v1 situations.  Especially when the competitors are not disciplined professionals.  This can spiral.

So to me the toxicity is a bit systemic between players having different expectations about each other regarding role, map / rotational knowledge, and the propensity to fight 1v1 matchups and take the ego hit.
My suggestion is simply this.  Different game modes with larger player counts.  The combat and class system in this game is so beautifully designed.  It's almost criminal that so few builds are allowed to compete in this style of game mode.  And please, don't get me started on Stronghold......

I hearken back to my days playing scenarios in Warhammer Online and also Rift (when it launched).  To this day, the most fun I've ever had PvP'ing in an MMO.  Hands down.  The reasons?

-The teams were larger.
10v10 and up.  That lowers expectations on each player.  Understanding role and map knowledge normalizes over many more heads.  This can have a nice effect of both lowering overall toxicity and providing new players more confidence to make mistakes and learn.  This would also create a nice effect of allowing larger premade groups of 3 or 4 to be allowed in the queue and not upset the balance so drastically.

-The maps were larger and more open.
Even a map like Nordenwatch.  I mean, anyone who's played it knows, it's essentially the same as GW2 Conquest.  Three points to control for victory.  And yet the size and openness of the map seemed to make all the difference, particularly with the increased team size.  Could Nordenwatch snowball?  Oh yeah, no doubt, but so do GW2 matches.  And I've been a part of many epic Nordenwatch comebacks.

-Different modes.  
A capture the flag like Serpent's Passage,  felt so much more fun than current GW2 matches.  The map was big, had one flag in the middle which could be stolen from the other team if you killed the carrier.  Many opportunities for crazy plays and saves.
Team Deathmatch is also fun, but frankly not as interesting without other mechanics to split the teams up a bit over the map to discourage zerging.

-Or thinking outside the box a bit with things like three teams in a match.  
I know that ESO does this and I've played a bit of it.  It's fun and interesting for sure, but not something I'd be willing to put a full stamp of approval on yet.  Just a thought.  I know that when I engage in smallscale WvW with all 3 sides present that is some of the most fun I've had in this game.  Much more fun than Conquest.  (for me)  However, in WvW, many players will just retreat back to a Tower or Castle when things go wrong and you just can't get the kill.  That is not as easy in a scenario type environment.  Retreat is less likely to succeed without those safety nets, so players tend to fight it out.

I know that some are worried that more modes would further fragment the player base.  I do not find this a tenable position.  I think the lack of game modes / map and team scale (that shift the paradigm to more PvP instead of PvM) is what has killed the population.  Anecdotally, myself and every single one of my guildies are case in point.  I (we) simply have 0 desire to play sPvP.  However, we still login to Return of Reckoning to play scenarios. (A game that has a good combat system, but frankly pales in comparison to GW2's)  

In summation:
For me, more than anything, I want to fight players, not the map.  I don't feel like the current state of PvP encourages this.  I also believe that larger team sizes and maps normalize skill and knowledge gaps and decrease toxicity and promote confidence in newer players.  It allows for someone to take advantage of the games AMAZING zero entry build and gearing system and not be so pigeonholed into a role.  Over time, I think this could increase the PvP population and get the game (even Conquest) to a healthier state.  There is a place for competitive Conquest, but that is one place amongst what I think should be many.

-Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the main problem of pvp content is  "time", comparing with the pve and wvw contents pvp taking more time to get experience and resource, for instance 1 ranked pvp  takes about 4-5 or more minutes for queue ( in some cases some players not accept and this going again ) and 12 minute for pvp, lets say 20 minute only one pvp game and if you lose you get about 500-600 experience and vice versa 1500-1600 experience. Thats mean you need waiting more for playing pvp, but other contents not like this. And time issue make toxic players, because this is annoying waiting hours for just little experience and resource, this is my opinion.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:52 AM, griffdog.3927 said:

I apologize in advance - this will be long!  But building context is necessary to understand my conclusions.

I agree - the PvP scene does need to grow.  With so many amazingly well thought out design decisions around gear normalization, build templating, amazing character flexibility, virtually zero barriers of entry you would think PvP would be swarming with players.  But it's not.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I will speak for myself as to why I think that is.  According to GW2 efficiency I've played 2096 PvP matches, was Dragon rank many years ago.  I'm certainly no expert on the PVP scene anymore (never was ha!), but I have made my rounds.  For me personally, I love the thrill of fighting other players.  That is why I PvP.  I find the 5v5 Conquest game mode to be somewhat problematic in this regard.

As I played more and more I found myself fighting the game mode more than other players.  Meaning, my skill as a combatant, my class, my build, all those things I LOVE to theory craft and put together didn't mean NEARLY as much as my knowledge of map rotation and where I fit into the role of my team.  Where I fit into the role of my team was difficult enough to figure out sometimes, even as a veteran player.  I had to quickly evaluate my teammates and where I fit in.  Additionally, when to rotate here, when to rotate there, when to not rotate at all, was drastically more vital to victory than my ability to perform a combo, or combat awareness to peel for my teammate, or interrupt that critical skill from an enemy.  And my teammates would let me know about it.

For any new player that can be intimidating.  They come in to PvP and want to fight other players, but end up finding out that the thief build they brought in?  Yeah, it serves no purpose in this game mode.  You can't decap effectively, you don't rotate properly etc.. You don't fill the role a thief is expected to fill for your team.

The fact that it's only 5v5 tends to bring out more elitism and toxicity.  There are many more opportunities for 1v1 mano a mano type fights.  Nothing fuels the ego faster than 1v1.  When that ego meets ruin, we get toxicity.  That absolutely does happen in any competitive environment for sure, but it tends to happen more in these types of 1v1 situations.  Especially when the competitors are not disciplined professionals.  This can spiral.

So to me the toxicity is a bit systemic between players having different expectations about each other regarding role, map / rotational knowledge, and the propensity to fight 1v1 matchups and take the ego hit.
My suggestion is simply this.  Different game modes with larger player counts.  The combat and class system in this game is so beautifully designed.  It's almost criminal that so few builds are allowed to compete in this style of game mode.  And please, don't get me started on Stronghold......

I hearken back to my days playing scenarios in Warhammer Online and also Rift (when it launched).  To this day, the most fun I've ever had PvP'ing in an MMO.  Hands down.  The reasons?

-The teams were larger.
10v10 and up.  That lowers expectations on each player.  Understanding role and map knowledge normalizes over many more heads.  This can have a nice effect of both lowering overall toxicity and providing new players more confidence to make mistakes and learn.  This would also create a nice effect of allowing larger premade groups of 3 or 4 to be allowed in the queue and not upset the balance so drastically.

Even a map like Nordenwatch.  I mean, anyone who's played it knows, it's essentially the same as GW2 Conquest.  Three points to control for victory.  And yet the size and openness of the map seemed to make all the difference, particularly with the increased team size.  Could Nordenwatch snowball?  Oh yeah, no doubt, but so do GW2 matches.  And I've been a part of many epic Nordenwatch comebacks.

-Different modes.  
A capture the flag like Serpent's Passage,  felt so much more fun than current GW2 matches.  The map was big, had one flag in the middle which could be stolen from the other team if you killed the carrier.  Many opportunities for crazy plays and saves.
Team Deathmatch is also fun, but frankly not as interesting without other mechanics to split the teams up a bit over the map to discourage zerging.

I know that ESO does this and I've played a bit of it.  It's fun and interesting for sure, but not something I'd be willing to put a full stamp of approval on yet.  Just a thought.  I know that when I engage in smallscale WvW with all 3 sides present that is some of the most fun I've had in this game.  Much more fun than Conquest.  (for me)  However, in WvW, many players will just retreat back to a Tower or Castle when things go wrong and you just can't get the kill.  That is not as easy in a scenario type environment.  Retreat is less likely to succeed without those safety nets, so players tend to fight it out.

I know that some are worried that more modes would further fragment the player base.  I do not find this a tenable position.  I think the lack of game modes / map and team scale (that shift the paradigm to more PvP instead of PvM) is what has killed the population.  Anecdotally, myself and every single one of my guildies are case in point.  I (we) simply have 0 desire to play sPvP.  However, we still login to Return of Reckoning to play scenarios. (A game that has a good combat system, but frankly pales in comparison to GW2's)  

In summation:
For me, more than anything, I want to fight players, not the map.  I don't feel like the current state of PvP encourages this.  I also believe that larger team sizes and maps normalize skill and knowledge gaps and decrease toxicity and promote confidence in newer players.  It allows for someone to take advantage of the games AMAZING zero entry build and gearing system and not be so pigeonholed into a role.  Over time, I think this could increase the PvP population and get the game (even Conquest) to a healthier state.  There is a place for competitive Conquest, but that is one place amongst what I think should be many.

-Griff

Thank you for conveying my thoughts in full. My knowledge of English did not allow me such integrity of the text. As a wow veteran I've seen what happens to people with dancing around 2s and 3s. The result is this: a misunderstanding of more than half of the possible setups in 3s and, accordingly, their unplayability (due to the streaming meta chase and meta slavery), a complete misunderstanding of the macro game in rbg (bg) in general, and as a result of all this, the global exhaustion of players (timegates are also to blame, but still ...)

P. S. In my text, I was not guided by a specific patch. I tried to be guided by the observation of the whole picture.

Edited by DomHemingway.8436

On 2/9/2022 at 1:43 PM, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

gw2 pvp will never grow, this game is hyper casual friendly, and pvp is the exact opposite.
My guild has been doing the same kittening raid wing for over a year and they still have not learn all the mechanics, you cant convince these type of players to pvp

This pretty much. And when the casuals do play it and get wrecked they run to the forum to ask for nerfs.

🙂

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:55 AM, xKole.9175 said:

How do we get PvE players to come try out PvP? How can we attract new GW2 players to check it out?

Between learning Conquest, strategy, class roles, and our notorious toxicity, no one wants to give it shot.

I think permanent 1v1 and 2v2 modes would help that. Easier to play with one other friend, or solo (people don't have to worry about throwing a game and getting flamed). Maybe no ranked for these modes or lesser ranked rewards than Conquest, idk. Tournaments would be fun too.

I just don't think Anet will ever do much of anything with PvP unless our playerbase was more respectable, and I think having more approachable PvP would help our community a lot.

pve players come try pvp for trinket and wings

the real question is: HOW TO KEEP THEM PLAYING? silvers get matches with top 10 players and stuff, i wouldnt mind waiting in q longer for equal teams

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 2:20 PM, Eugchriss.2046 said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You seem to be getting upset. 

It is okay. Don't let others letting things get to them get to you. 

They can complain about toxicity and mean words all they like, but don't let it effect you. Your emotions are to be like rock, unswayed by the fickle ways of the youths. 🙏

Edited by Kuma.1503

On 2/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, griffdog.3927 said:

-The teams were larger.

-Different modes.  

In summation:

-Griff

As someone who agrees with this and would also add Wildstar in there, all I can say is GIVE US A REAL WPVP realm, with better class design (imo). 

Honestly if you just ported Warhammer Age of Reck into GW2 I'd be playing the wpvp and scenarios every day all day haha... As it sits I absolutely hate the sPVP and the class design just feels weird and 'airy', like none of the abilities have any weight. Everything almost feels the same with people just running around with infinite mobility. I too log in and play scenarios on Warhammer even though the game is woefully outdated haha.... Could you imagine a true wpvp gw2 server that had realm vs realm style sections of the map that you could gain experience via pvp while also queing for tiered battlegrounds? Man I'd be in heaven. 

Wildstar was the last of the wpvp greats; what a truly amazing experience for the first few months imo. The world was ALIVE, constant wpvp, fun zones, great battlegrounds to lvl in when you wanted to take a break. Anyways, I've been waiting for years in the hopes GW2 does something like this but I stopped holding my breathe; don't think it will ever happen. 

As someone who tried getting into sPVP recently, I'll tell you it was a pretty lame experience. I felt like I was put in to fights with people much MUCH more experienced than me, most fights are incredibly one-sided, the team compositions can be completely lop-sided because it's matching by profession instead of role, I don't know who's a bot and who isn't, and then you have people giving up and sitting in the base AFK early into the match because they've decided it's a lost cause; completely sabotaging your team. It just feels like an elite game mode that a small community of players who've been at it for years compete in, and it's get good through repeated losses, or get lost. It wasn't like that right when I started, but by pvp level 15 or so, I felt like I wasn't playing people in my skill range anymore, and I'm guessing it's because they gave up. I have NO suggestion as to how they could improve it, but I do believe the root of the problem is the small community making for a poor new player experience, which keeps it small.

21 hours ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

As someone who tried getting into sPVP recently, I'll tell you it was a pretty lame experience. I felt like I was put in to fights with people much MUCH more experienced than me, most fights are incredibly one-sided, the team compositions can be completely lop-sided because it's matching by profession instead of role, I don't know who's a bot and who isn't, and then you have people giving up and sitting in the base AFK early into the match because they've decided it's a lost cause; completely sabotaging your team. It just feels like an elite game mode that a small community of players who've been at it for years compete in, and it's get good through repeated losses, or get lost. It wasn't like that right when I started, but by pvp level 15 or so, I felt like I wasn't playing people in my skill range anymore, and I'm guessing it's because they gave up. I have NO suggestion as to how they could improve it, but I do believe the root of the problem is the small community making for a poor new player experience, which keeps it small.

There is a huge skill gap between the average pvp enjoyer and a ranked tournament player and it is really easy to notice in unranked games especially between seasons. I had to try hard to push into legendary so long ago it's not event relevant now and after I came back from a break and decided to casually finish getting my wings I struggled to hit plat and finished the season in gold. I've started participating in ATs and the titles for groups in lfg capture the player base perfectly, its like; "afk gamers" "plz no rage quit" "g2" "p1" and literally during games I've been on teams that decide before the gates open "those are the tournament winners" because the same legends always group together. On a personal level the pvp community has to decide to grow as individuals because it is a competitive environment and so many of the contenders here forget that there's someone on the other side. In the pve lfg tabs they advertise groups to learn boss fights and mechanics with commander tags and coordinate through discord but there is really nothing equal to that in the pvp lobby. Every other aspect of this game encourages and even incentivizes helpful gameplay and if you take competition seriously there is no reward for caring about anyone other than your duo partner. No one at the top wants to share their crown.

Edited by Eregant.4389

GW2 combat is unique and faster paced than other wow clone mmos. Most players need at least 3 years to understand game/combat mechanism...even with vallun and any other mentor's guide. So, Wait 3 years lol. Maybe players will learn, average match quality will rise, and then pvp will be better.

Edited by pukish.5784
  • Like 1

The last time ANET made a major effort to attract PvE players was when the legendary wings were introduced.

Unfortunately, ANET also chose to introduce a tournament system that severely punished new players. In addition , they allowed smurfing among other things.

I submit that it turned off many more players than it attracted.

ANET needs to do some work  before it makes such an effort again.

For one thing, the classes are clearly unbalanced.

As an example: The new Mesmer spec has so much designed in "counterplay" that it will be unusable in PvP. ( Cast time on shatters, shatters forward only, blades are slow projectiles and etc. )

For another, high level players are allowed to play against against  new or lower skilled players. Matchmaking speed is the priority.

A PvE player coming in can expect a rather negative experience. That's why PvP suffers.

• Like 2

pvp is bad and poorly balanced
matchmaking is medicore at best and horrible at worst
population is small so MM struggles even more
loads of top tier players cheat, scam, wintrade, RMT
devs actively kitten over balance, lie and play favourites 
this is why people dont stay for pvp.
I dont do 40g/h meta events cuz I dont enjoy them, and I dont see anyone subjecting themselves to this games pvp for rewards, expecially since they pale in comparison to hold m1 get 30g/h+ that is norm in this game
Devs dont get their game, they dont gety ANY of the modes people play and thus cant balance for kitten
and the fact this game has high barrier to entry doesnt help either, stealth, teleports, conditions, evades, blocks, cooldowns and resource management matters in pvp while in pve it doesnt mean kitten so suddenly you have 50 different things that you NEED to play around.

• Like 1