I just finished the main story campaign.

Triga.5038

Right there with ya, the story is just awful. I've been playing since launch and love the game, but when considering recommending it to people the story makes me hesitant. Not that I think GW2's is particularly bad compared to other games: story in games is generally awful. But hey, just my 2c, others disagree. At least you made it through to enjoy a great game! ; - )

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm glad you enjoyed the ending of the 1-80 journey! It's very definitely a long slog but incredibly lore-rich.

What you're doing just for the 1-80 journey takes place roughly over 1.5 years (1325-1326) so you're condensing a massive amount of "in-game time" into a short expanse of time doing the story back-to-back, and that's not even including all the side stories (Open-World Hearts, World Bosses, Events, etc) and the travel time to get to these locations (your character effectively travels the world on foot, using gates sparingly).

Just think: now you have Season 1 (Recap, or the Visions in Eye of the North), Season 2, Heart of Thorns, Season 3, Path of Fire, Season 4, Season 5: Icebrood Saga for the story.

That's not even including the lore from the various Meta events in each Season/Expansion.

The sheer breadth of STORY in this game is absolutely insane, and it all weaves together to create your character's history. 

If we assume that the Commander technically did accomplish all of the Hearts/Skill Points/Meta/World Bosses throughout the game in canon, he is driven (some would say obsessed) to an almost insane degree to fighting the Elder Dragons and doing everything he can for the people of Tyria.

Some you can chalk up to his role as a veteran in his chosen order (thereby making subordinates feed the cows or gather prickleberries for the Grawl) but could you imagine the sheer force of willpower it would take for him to kill the Shatterer and Tequatl the Sunless within the 1.5 year range from the Tutorial Mission to Zhaitan's death while also criss-crossing the continent repeatedly?

Such a wild ride!

Can't wait for End of Dragons--have my Thief main completed up to end of Icebrood Saga ready to do the story, and then once they're done, got my Warrior (first profession I ever made in Guild Wars 1) where I'll play the story from level 1 to end of EoD.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Oh .. the point where anet decided that you can't skip dialog was the point, where i stopped playing the story.

I did it now for the legy amulet and it was one of the most boring thing i ever had to do in gw2 for something. The story has so many plot-holes, things that were started and then just disappear and more. Just Awful. I'll be glad if I never have to do that again since I'm not an achievment hunter thank god.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Triga.5038 said:

Im on to LW2, WHO THE kitten THOUGHT DRY TOP WAS A GOOD IDEA?

who ever is responsible for this mess should be fired. I spent hours trying to find my way through this shity night mare to get on to the next part of the story. Just trying to play through the story should not require this kind of BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the end I had to have a kind should guide me through dry top to the other side so I could keep the story moving!

Who designed that? When I make a bad decision at work, I'm and electrician and builder, I get told I kittened up! And if the mistake is bad enough I am fired!

Why should the PVE story be this much trouble?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!

In the end that's the question, why am i working this hard just to play the story. The PVE story should not be a kittening grind!

No one should be fired.  I don't like these maze liked maps either. But it's a design choice. One you disagree with, so give your feedback, kind of lame to call for someone to lose their job over it.

I would like to tell you it won't happen again, but it will. 

Tangled depths in the HoT expansion is the worst when it comes to these kind of maps.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

No one should be fired.  I don't like these maze liked maps either. But it's a design choice. One you disagree with, so give your feedback, kind of lame to call for someone to lose their job over it.

I would like to tell you it won't happen again, but it will. 

Tangled depths in the HoT expansion is the worst when it comes to these kind of maps.

Totally agree...but 1 thing...

I ll get hated to death because of it but i actually love tangled depth, also bc its such a maze. I somehow always instantly find my way through it. 

Tho auric basin is a dream of a map. Its a map for every mount. My fav map btw. Its just so good. I can both roll with my Beetle very well on it and also fly with my griffon very nicely. Its really a map for all mounts and thats what i love. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Triga.5038 said:

Im on to LW2, WHO THE kitten THOUGHT DRY TOP WAS A GOOD IDEA?

I hear a lot of hate for Dry Top, but weirdly enough that's one of my favorite maps, haha. I really enjoyed exploring the nooks and crannies, reading documents, found the sandstorm even really immersive. I get why you and other people hate it, but I enjoyed the roleplaying aspect of it, not necessarily the mechanics of actually getting around.

For the main discussion... oof yeah, the story makes it a hard sell. Have you gone back and replayed any of the old living world stuff? Also super rough. Icebrood was the first time I enjoyed the writing / voice acting. I think I finished the vanilla plot on one character at launch? Never again.

7 minutes ago, Triga.5038 said:

I guess I understand now why paying 15$ a month for WOW makes sense.

If this kind of ridiculous mess is what we get then 15$ a month is not that bad.

Main Story is worst in my opinion. It gets better very fast. I really enjoyed other stories tbh. Except the Ending of icebrood tho i also liked overall icebrood. 

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well that was abrupt.  It's really not that difficult, but you can't always just roll your face over the keyboard.  

41 minutes ago, Triga.5038 said:

I guess I understand now why paying 15$ a month for WOW makes sense.

If this kind of ridiculous mess is what we get then 15$ a month is not that bad.

And no, paying it wasn't that bad.  Pity they dumbed it down so much for the complainers so they didn't have to think, and everyone had a cookie cutter build.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Been playing over 8 years.  Never completed the core story campaign on any toon.  GW2 was billed as play as you like -- so I did.  Played some of the story until it got to be boring (for me anyway), and never felt like I had missed out on anything.  /shrug

If you would be willing to test it by leveling other races for their stories, I bet you would find the part you lost interest would be when the story led to the part where everything becomes the same, no matter your character choices. The personal story had always been fun for me. It's when it gets to the main story, and no longer really matters who you are. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Before you go, why don't you jump ahead to Heart of Thorns to get your glider unlocked, then jump to Path of Fire to get your mounts. Maps like Dry Top are not so bad with gliding and a Springer.

Total game changers.

My favorite mount is the griffon for sure. Most used by a large margin, way ahead of the Springer at number 2 (for those extra high spots). Its almost sad that I don't use my glider almost ever now, but I got some cool bird skins, so balance? Oh well, lol.