[Suggestion] Solo Bosses

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Not an equitable translation really. Champion loot bags contain generic loot - I'm talking about enemy-specific drops.

The major problem with trying to do a faithful translation that into GW2 is that your first step has to be "delete the trading post from the game" in order to make trading equally inconvenient and inefficient.

I don't think this holds, because greens (the unique drops from named bosses in GW1) still have a vibrant player-to-player trading community. We have the benefit of an official trading post in this game and I think it serves us well, but people in GW1 are still selling these items to each other. Additionally, there are people who collect greens with no intention of ever selling them simply because they enjoy chasing the various weapons down. Even making these drops account-bound wouldn't stop me from going after them.

Wardrobe might have to go as well because one of the reason some items had value was because they had a particular combination of skin and stat. There was also value in an item being perfect.

Wardrobe doesn't have to go anywhere, we'd simply have to accept that GW2 has standardized stats for weapons of a certain rarity. The goal in GW2 wouldn't be to chase Butter's Buttblaster with +30 health regen, it'd be to get Butter's Buttblaster and its associated skin. They could even make these hypothetical boss drops stat-selectable (once), simplifying them even further.

Continually adding new items to the pool would be nice but that is unrealistic. I can't think of any content where they've done that.

World bosses are a good example of existing content where defeating a boss has a chance of giving you boss-specific rewards. The only difference in this case is that lesser bosses would also have a chance to give you a unique reward. There's plenty of room to debate what gear rarity of reward that should be since these would be rewards associated with enemies that could be beaten without a zerg (Exotic and/or unable to be salvaged would be fine IMHO since they'd be easier to get), but boss-specific loot isn't new.

I will acknowledge that this entire idea involves making lots of weapon skins to correspond with whatever bosses they choose to apply this hypothetical system to, but I think they could do it in small bites over time. The past few festivals have included a Kodan NPC selling examples of random skins that could be used for such a purpose.

1 minute ago, Matthius.9104 said:

Its not though. I dont want to argue with you at all. There is nothing in the game that is a solo boss with decent gp/hr that is challenging yet you can kill in a timely manner.

Hey, your expectations are just unreasonable. That's not a problem I have ... I mean, you just want to farm solo content for gold  rates ... You don't think that's Bounties and harder boss mobs? Weird stuff. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Matthius.9104 said:

Thats not unreasonable

Well, you might think so ... I think lots of people would beg to differ, including Anet considering they don't have the content you want. You say you aren't going to argue with me ... but for some reason the advice your getting to farm Bounties and harder mobs is the content that exists in the game that comes closest to your criteria is causing you do to EXACTLY that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Matthius.9104 said:

So by your logic we should never make game suggestions again. Ever. If we want to see new content too bad. Just leave it how it is since its perfect.

That's nonsense ... I never said we can't make suggestions. I'm just telling you that we have content that already comes close to what you are suggesting.

What would be much more honest here is just to suggest giving hard mobs more rewards if you soloed them because it's clear you just want more rewards for doing the content that exists.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Every boss in the game can be solo'd, if you're skilled enough.  There are some players that do amazing things in the game because they possess an extreme level of knowledge pertaining to the game's combat mechanics, and have the ability to execute such mechanics.  

The ability to solo challenging content is already in the game.  I remember a long while back, the devs used to comment on players who solo'd what was intended to be party/group content, most praising the player.  

If your goal is more challenging content, there's your starting point.  If your complaint is that challenging content in the game isn't worth soloing due to rewards, then challenge is not your goal.  Your goal is the rewards.  In which case, there already exists many ways to do it.  If you are so reward-centric , then you do not value challenge enough for this to warrant more than what already exists.  Being reward-centric means you always care more about rewards than any other aspect of the game.  This isn't a bad thing, it just means that rewards are what bring you joy, not challenge.  Again, there is nothing wrong with this, but understand that challenge does already exist in the game.

I often solo Bandit Champions just to see if I've mastered a profession well enough to do so.  I don't care about rewards.  In fact, I don't even know what bandit champions award.  I just solo them because it's fun and challenging.  I have yet to even attempt to solo a dungeon, which is on my to-do list some day.  I often solo level-appropriate dungeons in other MMO's (like TERA and Secret World), just not this one for some reason.    I understand that I am on the other side of the spectrum and am pretty much the opposite of reward-centric.

I bring these points up, because identifying what truly brings you joy in the game will make your leisure time so much better.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

What you want goes against the core design philosophy of GW2.  They made the game specifically so you wouldn't sit in one spot killing the same enemy over and over again.  They did this by giving generalized loot drops to all enemies, and putting events on timers while giving away rewards once per day.  As with all things, there are some exceptions.  There are a couple of named drops that you can get rarely from certain bosses, invisible shoes from Treasure Mushrooms are still worth a lot, as are the aesthetic infusions.  If you really want a chance at a super-rare but valuable drop, you can do each of those events one a day... assuming you have enough spare time to do it.

Challenging single-player fights were attempted at one point.  The story bosses from the living world seasons were an attempt to do this.  However, it was met with complaints from the players that it was too hard.  See, Anet wanted the whole game to be accessible to everyone, so they tried to please everyone.  They made it so these challenging story bosses didn't reset when you die.  The big issue with GW2 players is that some of them are really bad at the game.  The difference in skill between the top end and the bottom end of the playerbase skill curve is an order of magnitude.  This means that those challenging bosses in story mode would end up killing unskilled players a dozen times, and then the game would then praise players for a job well done, making the whole thing sting even worse.  People still make threads complaining about the Eater of Souls to this day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Runescape has solo bosses mostly cause of the tagging system (first tag gets loot). I'm actually glad that GW2 never had such a system. The way GW2 works (anyone who fights along gets loot and the event scales to the amount of people envolved) is much more superior in my personal opinion.

It also makes doing bosses solo more of a niche.

I would welcome a battlepit rotation. The queens pavillion gauntlet is a good starting point, but maybe expand it to other cities. Maybe make a rotation where you have 2 weekly tournaments in one of the battlepits. The queens pavillion gauntlet is a serie of bosses you'll fight solo in cage. The concept of battle pits was introduced in one of the pre-release books, but never really used in the actual game (there is a battlepit in gendarran fields and a story envolved, but it's nothing like the way the book describes it).

For other uses, I would strongly recommend to look at instanced group content that can be solo-ed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Rewarding? How? Thought you only grind them for mosaics for 2 legendaries. Definitely not rewarding at all to do them solo. Like almost all rewarding content in the game its best to blob up and press 1 while watching netflix. Only exception are fractals and maybe spvp but condi meta, hfb and scourges turned fractals into a braindead farm aswell.. raids are barely above drizzlewood and only if you run them in speedrun static. strikes are blob press 1 content. 

This game does not reward skill.

This game sorta does reward skill. Since success in this game is measure in gold per hour (to a lot of people anyway), those who can do more in an hour will get more gold per hour, thus being rewarded for their skill.

A good fractal group and easily clear 20 gold in an hour. A bad fractal group can't even get through all the t4 fractals.  The rewards are proportional to the skill of your play. Lesser players will get rewards much slower, therefore you are being rewarded for your skill.

Over days and weeks and months, that adds up to a lot of coinage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Matthius.9104 said:

Its not though. I dont want to argue with you at all. There is nothing in the game that is a solo boss with decent gp/hr that is challenging yet you can kill in a timely manner.

You wouldn't feel this way if you'd been given decent advice.

Unfortunately what's obvious is that a great number of people who answered you were doing so in a largely theoretical context rather than with any real experience or data.

The answer is to solo the repeatable HoT hero points.

These are champions that are not on timers and who's loot is actually far better than the average open world champ. If you are decent and clearing them in a relatively speedy manner, the money is actually some of the best money you can get solo.

This will of course, be highly dependant on your build, skill level and ability to handle more than just the HP sponges like Mordrem Flower.

I did pretty much only this for 5 weeks and by liquidating everything , I made enough for a Upgrade Extractor (2400g).

The "next best" gph will be regularly soloing DRMs because of the high roll potential on some of the reward boxes. But this involves a fair bit of trash mob clearing.

Soloing fractals, dungeons, Desert bounties is sexy and all but absolutely awful rewards, and something I will only do while build testing.

As you've noted, these forums have become an absolutely awful place to ask questions like yours. Players on this forum are perfectly happy to pass along garbage posts, and offer complete misinformation, and speak for the developers...on topics that they clearly have ZERO actual experience on just to pretend they are being helpful and watch their post count go up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

A good fractal group and easily clear 20 gold in an hour. A bad fractal group can't even get through all the t4 fractals.  The rewards are proportional to the skill of your play. Lesser players will get rewards much slower, therefore you are being rewarded for your skill.

An awful player pressing 1 at Drizzlewood or Dragonfall earns over 30g an hour.

The idea that this game rewards skillful play is hilarious.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

An awful player pressing 1 at Drizzlewood or Dragonfall earns over 30g an hour.

The idea that this game rewards skillful play is hilarious.

This is not true. People have posted saying they can't make as much as people are saying they're making. You just don't know what an awful player even is.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

This is not true. People have posted saying they can't make as much as people are saying they're making. You just don't know what an awful player even is.

31g an hour for Drizzlewood/Dragonfall is a number that was avergaed out from a large number of people doing the content reporting and aggregating DATA provided to the Fast Farming community.

I'm really unsure what your problem with factual discourse is.

• Confused 7

29 minutes ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

31g an hour for Drizzlewood/Dragonfall is a number that was avergaed out from a large number of people doing the content reporting and aggregating DATA provided to the Fast Farming community.

I'm sure really bad players all log in and give numbers to the fast farming community.  Like it or not, people who farm actually farm probably aren't terrible players.  You really do need to push to get those numbers. It's not a casual experience. You want to tag everything you can.  You want to make those numbers, you're not doing it casually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I'm sure really bad players all log in and give numbers to the fast farming community.  Like it or not, people who farm actually farm probably aren't terrible players.  You really do need to push to get those numbers. It's not a casual experience. You want to tag everything you can.  You want to make those numbers, you're not doing it casually.

Yeah, I'm admittedly a terrible gold farmer as I've never once thought "I am making so much gold-per-hour right now!"  But 2400g in 5 weeks for soloing HoT champs sounds...incredible.  I mean, that's one of my favorite time-wasting activities and I clear those bosses faster than most, but I've never even had 2400g on hand at one time before!  I think to say these numbers are "normal" is more than a little bit of a stretch, but then I could just be "awful", depending on your definition!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Oh please stop. tagging a lot of stuff and running around is very casual. You dont have to learn a dps rotation, you dont have to learn and execute mechanics. You dont need fast reflexes and you dont need voice to communicate.

Subgroups arent even optimized and builds dont really matter. Comparing that to doing raid cms without scourge garbage is a slap in the face to every raider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Self-reported, non-randomized sample sets do not yield useful, statistical information.  Remember the addage, garbage in - garbage out.  The fast farming community website is not representative of the GW2 player population.  This, alone, is a limitation of what can be analyzed.  

Your point that there's many ways anyone in the game can make lots of in-game gold still stands.  However, quantification of what "lots of gold" has not been factually presented by you, due to the flawed analysis of your cited data set.  Account for the non-randomization and the inherent biases of the data set and regress with other data sets to capture a slightly more accurate picture of the GW2 population.  I'm not aware of any combination of player-derived data sets that can be truly representative of the population.  Please let me know if you do identify a good combination as this would be of interest to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Oh please stop. tagging a lot of stuff and running around is very casual. You dont have to learn a dps rotation, you dont have to learn and execute mechanics. You dont need fast reflexes and you dont need voice to communicate.

Subgroups arent even optimized and builds dont really matter. Comparing that to doing raid cms without scourge garbage is a slap in the face to every raider.

And yet I find a full run of Drizzlewood as taxing as a full run of t4 Fractals, on most days, even more so.  One of us might be wrong.   It's also quite easy to get carried through T4 fractals with a decent healer in the party.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

And yet I find a full run of Drizzlewood as taxing as a full run of t4 Fractals, on most days, even more so.  One of us might be wrong.   It's also quite easy to get carried through T4 fractals with a decent healer in the party.

And what has that to do with rewarding skill? Clicking a cookie for 2 hours is taxing aswell but doesnt require any skill. Like i wrote earlier t4 fractals turned into a kittenshow aswell with scourges and hfb. Success rate and average completion time improved significantly after they reworked exposed and buffed scourge. 

Scourge needs to get deleted. Cfb is a close 2nd. Scourge is truly a scourge to decent gameplay.

• Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

And what has that to do with rewarding skill? Clicking a cookie for 2 hours is taxing aswell but doesnt require any skill. Like i wrote earlier t4 fractals turned into a shitshow aswell with scourges and hfb. Success rate and average completion time improved significantly after they reworked exposed and buffed scourge. 

Scourge needs to get deleted. Cfb is a close 2nd. Scourge is truly a scourge to decent gameplay.

I like that they wanted to improve condition builds, since they basically couldn't compete with power builds at all in the fractal meta previously.  But I'm not sure why they felt the need to massively buff scourge and torment at the same time.  I think that was a terrible idea.  The exposed buff by itself is arguably overtuned, but when you add this on top of it you get, well, what you see:  firebrand, scourge (and renegade) in practically every group and groups without them performing at a much lower level generally.  It really makes you wonder what the devs are thinking sometimes.

• Like 1

The [fast] data isn't intended to represent results for any random person ...

The farmtrain table represents benchmark recordings with our [fast] guild. Our primary goals are efficiency, constant movement and maximum profit.
[fast] farmtrains also come with the expectation that a significant part of the squad meet following requirements to achieve the average gold per hour values below.
Gold per hour values will vary if you compare LFG runs with [fast] runs due to mentioned requirements:

• That is a very specific set of circumstances.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4