Waypoint costs are getting out of hand

3 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I'm fairly rich as I bought some gold with gems. But I intended it to buy crafting materials and other persistent objects not to spend on waypoint costs.

Cant you tie up all your gold in let say 50 gold a pop dusk or dawn precursor buyouts and waypoint for free?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Looks like you get the Asura gate activated in LA, once one character has reached Arborstone. That's OK for me, but badly communicated by the game.

Oh, that's helpful to know!  I was wondering when the gate unlocked, I figured you'd have to have some level of the mastery for it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Looks like you get the Asura gate activated in LA, once one character has reached Arborstone. That's OK for me, but badly communicated by the game.

That's good to know. Between that and the portal scroll it would pretty much solve the problem I think.

Other than that anyone can get back to Tyria from Cantha for free by going to the PvP Lobby or any WvW map and then using the portal to Lion's Arch so it's just getting to Cantha before unlocking Arborstone that's a problem. In my case I'll probably solve that by keeping the character that's doing the story in Cantha until at least that point and using other characters for other things. But it would be nice to have another option, like an airship in LA that can take us to Cantha.

Long-term it might also be worth Anet looking at capping waypoint costs, because this is going to keep happening as new areas are added. (They could focus on filling in the missing bits between existing maps like the Domain of the Winds and that strip in the Shiverpeaks, but that wouldn't last forever.) I'm not sure what Anet would consider a reasonable maximum though. It might be like with Mystic Coins where a lot of players thought 2g each was too much but Anet apparently considered it a reasonable price and not enough to need changing. They might set a cap but put it at 50s or something.

Alternatively maybe they should make themselve a checklist that says any expansion and/or remote new area needs to have bank and TP NPCs somewhere in it and quick & free way (like an asura gate) to get to/from LA or another core game city.

• Like 1

Maybe when I get all of the relevant things unlocked (like the portal scroll) it won't feel so bad to me.  I don't have much time to play though, so 10 silver does legitimately feel like a lot.  I play maybe 30-45 minutes a day.  I logged on just now, wasn't feeling well enough to really enjoy exploring the new maps, decided to hop to silverwastes or some other easy map for a bit, saw the price tag, and decided to log out instead.  I wonder if Anet has considered the possibility that this might discourage movement around the world and result in fewer people doing a greater variety of content.  I hope older maps don't get even less populated, because I like to revisit them and do a wider variety of things rather than be focused on one goal at a time.  I'm sure one way or another I'll get used to it, but for people who don't have much time and don't always want to do the dailies with what time they have, 10 silver can actually feel significant.  I use the WvW route to lion's arch to cut down costs, but my computer takes forever to load a new location, so it's a bit of a drag and time sink.   Grumble grumble!  Still an amazing expansion though.  I feel like they outdid themselves.  It's like a ticket to Disneyworld.  So expensive, but so amazing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, stacyliz.2647 said:

Maybe when I get all of the relevant things unlocked (like the portal scroll) it won't feel so bad to me.  I don't have much time to play though, so 10 silver does legitimately feel like a lot.  I play maybe 30-45 minutes a day.  I logged on just now, wasn't feeling well enough to really enjoy exploring the new maps, decided to hop to silverwastes or some other easy map for a bit, saw the price tag, and decided to log out instead.  I wonder if Anet has considered the possibility that this might discourage movement around the world and result in fewer people doing a greater variety of content.  I hope older maps don't get even less populated, because I like to revisit them and do a wider variety of things rather than be focused on one goal at a time.  I'm sure one way or another I'll get used to it, but for people who don't have much time and don't always want to do the dailies with what time they have, 10 silver can actually feel significant.  I use the WvW route to lion's arch to cut down costs, but my computer takes forever to load a new location, so it's a bit of a drag and time sink.   Grumble grumble!  Still an amazing expansion though.  I feel like they outdid themselves.  It's like a ticket to Disneyworld.  So expensive, but so amazing.

So..  you don’t read the rest of the thread…:

6 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/2/2022 at 1:09 PM, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

Is this some kind of problem ? 

Its called nickel and dimed to death. Yes agree the wp cost is ridic payed almost 11 silver for one trip last night. If they think doing this is a gold sink then they dont realize how many gold poor Tyrians there are, so just like rl they overshoot on income. Art imitating life 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

Its called nickel and dimed to death. Yes agree the wp cost is ridic payed almost 11 silver for one trip last night. If they think doing this is a gold sink then they dont realize how many gold poor Tyrians there are, so just like rl they overshoot on income. Art imitating life 

I still dont see a problem here. I mean its not like you constantly teleporting in and out of cantha. Im not rich too, have like 10g atm, but you only need to catch, like, one fish to get more than or close to 10 silver.  If you play more that 10 minutes there, kill few mobs, do meta, you will get at least few times  more than you payed to teleport. So again, im fail to see a problem here. 

Edited by KrivukasLT.3507
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

My three favorite characters are exploring Cantha. Most of the others are parked at various places where they have important tasks.

Today I looked at daily completionist, and realized the only character left is my Renegade, who has been quietly weeping to himself in a corner of the Lily of Elon since Monday.

I said, “Come on, man. Pull yourself together! If I have to bring one of the others from Cantha to do dailies it’s gonna cost us 10 silver to get them back there!”

He took a deep breath and went out to do the JP and harvest some potatoes.

EoD waypoint inflation might be just the stimulus I need to get him to climb out of his grief and move on.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Dude thats nothing compared to what waypoint used to cost back when game launched. It would have cost over a gold to travel to cantha at those costs. Theres nothing to complain about here.

To make a point, on launch from black citadel to ratasum would have been 24 silver

Edited by dodgerrule.8739
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

• 1 month later...

Ah ah ah ah

It's funny to see people rushing the game, complaining without looking if there are alternative way in game.

First, if you do the story, after the Fallout story step, you unlock a Arborstone Portal Scroll (unlimited uses).

And just with the first mastery linked to Arborstone, "Base of Operations", you unlock an Asura gate to Lion's Arch

Edited by Fyore.8104
Just remove some space
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Fyore.8104 said:

Ah ah ah ah

It's funny to see people rushing the game, complaining without looking if there are alternative way in game.

First, if you do the story, after the Fallout story step, you unlock a Arborstone Portal Scroll (unlimited uses).

And just with the first mastery linked to Arborstone, "Base of Operations", you unlock an Asura gate to Lion's Arch

Find it pretty funny you think they are rushing the game. 

When the OP at the time of posting was not that far in the story to be able to get either scroll or portal up and running.

Maybe reading comprehension is in order?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

I'm wonder, why don't they simply have the scrolls and tome unlock a new page on the LFG or on the Hero tab

That way it's out of the inventory and you could even have some as favorite that appear on your screen (like the highlighted missions)

Or even just have a tab on the map itself that can expand/collapse that lists the locations where you get WP to for free and you can click on them to teleport to them. Ditch the inventory clutter and need to open seemingly unrelated UI elements to map travel that confuse players (I've lost track of all the players who didn't know they could get teleport scrolls because item inventory = map travel isn't intuitive, especially for people who haven't played many video games).

Core and HoT costs were generally fine given how close they were (unless you were going from Ascalon to HoT) but with the addition of Elona, some LW4 maps, IBS maps, and now Canthan maps, the cost to go directly to places has gone up so much and it's a negative player experience to go through multiple loading screens, especially with the infinite loading screen bug that can force players to end the GW2 process and re-launch the game when it happens.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Arenanet  should make all waypoints for free ( or max it out to 1 silver if traveling across regions ) , 'personal thoughts'

players are losing a lot of silver and gold  traveling across regions   , specially the long train groups that is farming the maps ,  if you calculate the the total amount of silver your paying just to keep up with the events schedule , you will end up spending 2-3 gold total per circler run.  🙃

I know that not much for some players ,  but for me that's too much  , daily achievement ( 2 gold )  always gone for just traveling.

and thank you for posting this topic , hope Arenanet find a good solution for this ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1