Nice to see that thief is pretty much removed from pvp

Specter is the most powerful pvp spec by a long shot. Also thief's role as essentially map control has been uncontested since mesmer's portal nerf.  Thief was already uncontested in speed and specter is even faster while having vast more sustain, dps and the added benefit of support. It might suck if you're gold or below but if you have taken the time to learn how to utilize your class and learn how to play around conquest, it is an absolute monster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

@both above I mean I play thief casually in spvp and by my experience, people deem Specter bad because they suddenly realize how much Unhindered Combatant carries the gameplay for them. Suddenly you can't disengage at will, can't dodge 3 times in a row, and now movement speed modifiers, both swiftness and cripple+immob become something you have to consider more actively. While I vaguely know how to zoom around the map as DD, the same gameplay pattern just doesn't work for Specter.

Edited by Szymon.5369
  • Like 2

@Mandatory.6590 :

While in the past we had misha who stay god of PvP for years even when some seasons there wasn't any other mesmer top on ladder...

At last there are thieves.

The thing is that today there are classes that are not even on average ladder but also aren't in top...

So even if thief isn't the cheesiest thing, and actually it's not, there are other things to look at before.

8 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Its not "really good". Its bad. Its about as bad as regular thief. It cant even manage a 1v1 against literally any class. Which is fine, its not supposed to be a 1v1 class, thief isnt supposed to be a class that fights evenly in general, but its important to point that out.

You  can 1v1 most of the class on point without been decap with a S/X set

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

You  can 1v1 most of the class on point without been decap with a S/X set

Yes, just like we saw in the EU vs NA showmatch, where Spectre kept 1v1ing other classes on point and ... lost every single 1v1 without it being even close. Wait what? Yeah no, it cant. You lose every 1v1.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Yes, just like we saw in the EU vs NA showmatch, where Spectre kept 1v1ing other classes on point and ... lost every single 1v1 without it being even close. Wait what? Yeah no, it cant. You lose every 1v1.

Because they didn't play duelist but more teamfight and +1 with Sc/D.

Mechanist or  Bladesworn are better duelist because they can tank better 1v2 so why take a Spectre as duelist ? but it's doesn't change the fact that Spectre is good at 1v1 just not the best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

Because they didn't play duelist but more teamfight and +1 with Sc/D.

There is no magical build that turns Spectre into a better duelist. If you want to duel with Spectre, youd use that same build. Thats as good as it gets. It just turns out, "as good as it gets" is "about as good as thief". Thief is the worst 1v1 class, so spectre is too.

1 hour ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

Mechanist or  Bladesworn are better duelist because they can tank better 1v2 so why take a Spectre as duelist ? but it's doesn't change the fact that Spectre is good at 1v1 just not the best

Thats not why you dont take spectre as a duelist. The reason you dont take spectre as a duelist is because it loses 1v1 against literally every other class. Remember, it didnt just lose to sidenoders in the tournament, it lost to *Necro*. A teamfighter that cant 1v1. Its that bad. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

I rewatch the final 5 match of EU vs NA and don't see Spectre losing 1v1 other than vs Spectre. Most of the time they got +1 in their 1v1 and die/leave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

I rewatch the final 5 match of EU vs NA and don't see Spectre losing 1v1 other than vs Spectre. Most of the time they got +1 in their 1v1 and die/leave

Then you simply did not pay attention. You see it constantly. Spectre is the only enemy against which spectre wins, otherwise they lose the 1v1. At 2:55:50, you see a spectre lose a 1v1 to mechanist in the bottom point. 3:18:50 a theif run away from a 1v1 they lost despite a +1 incoming. 3:34:00, a thief loses a 1v1 to mechanist and runs. 3:54:15, loses 1v1 to mechanist around tranquility and runs. Couple more 1v1s that thief was losing before a +1 came, but theyre less clean examples, so Ill not list them here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 hours ago, Lethion.8745 said:

This is a good insight to common low rank PvP player's mind. I hope one day people will understand the difference between strong and annoying. 

Odd how the actual top players are only discussing Harbinger, Vindicator, Mechanist, and Bladesworn as over performing. While the rest are virtually unmentioned other that to discuss quality of life improvements. Thief is rarely present in games, but feel free to formulate a thesis and point out where they are over performing specifically, and since I am a low rank nobody, please link your current rank with required current games to prove you are making valid points, as a high rated player. Thank you.

I have seen a few in this thread saying "specter is the most strong", "everyone is playing specter", "the carry class", but have yet to show streamer evidence, build evidence, person video evidence. Even in the Teapot link, most are mediocre in performance, but undoubtedly could have done better on other classes. Specter is not as mobile as daredevil, but a daredevil is weak as kitten, so no one is playing it. Thief is only in high tier games? The other 90% isn't experiencing them and that is indicating by the silence in forums, reddit, and the game. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

At 2:55:50, you see a spectre lose a 1v1 to mechanist in the bottom point

True I miss this one. He push the 1v1 to try to kill the mech with Sc/D to get the point. With a S/X he could have survive but couldn't kill or decap the node.

3:18:50 a theif run away from a 1v1 they lost despite a +1 incoming

He swap his place with the necro to recap home, he clearly not lose the 1v1

3:34:00, a thief loses a 1v1 to mechanist

I miss this one too :s. He lose and had a S/X on swap + a good trap for duel. I can't say much more without the seeing the full duel

16 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

3:54:15, loses 1v1 to mechanist around tranquility and runs

He clearly swap place with the guard to let him prevent the mech tag tranquility

On 3/21/2022 at 2:08 AM, lightstalker.1498 said:

I rarely see them anymore. Specter is probably even more rare to see. Thank you anet for finally removing this abysmal class from the mode. The occasional one here and there is manageable. COunt me as one of the grateful that you have finally removed them from the game mode. Please do not buff anything about them. This trash class needs to stay out of the game mode. Next, consider removing stealth and deleting mesmer and thief from the game completely.

Hatespeech against every thief player.

5 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

True I miss this one. He push the 1v1 to try to kill the mech with Sc/D to get the point. With a S/X he could have survive but couldn't kill or decap the node.

No, he was going to lose and die or run away no matter what he did.

He swap his place with the necro to recap home, he clearly not lose the 1v1

Actually, he was going to lose it. He was about to be bursted down quite hard, and he didnt really have the resources to survive it. He was always gonna run.

I miss this one too :s. He lose and had a S/X on swap + a good trap for duel. I can't say much more without the seeing the full duel

Not much to say other than "spectre is just terrible at 1v1ing because thief is".

He clearly swap place with the guard to let him prevent the mech tag tranquility

Nah. He lost the 1v1. You can watch his health on the left, he was about to die. The guardian saved him, but he had to run because he lost the 1v1 badly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

No, he was going to lose and die or run away no matter what he did.

Just try S/X Specter and spam #2, you will see

21 minutes ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Actually, he was going to lose it. He was about to be bursted down quite hard, and he didnt really have the resources to survive it. He was always gonna run.

With full int + heal skill up + shadowstep up ? no way lol

22 minutes ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Nah. He lost the 1v1. You can watch his health on the left, he was about to die. The guardian saved him, but he had to run because he lost the 1v1 badly.

You see the guard go down before the specter get burst and the guard stay to prevent the tag until he get DC

3 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

Just try S/X Specter and spam #2, you will see

I saw people try that against me. They lost. Every time. Its really not good at 1v1s. Scepter 2 is weaker than Unload. And Scepters auto is worse than Pistols auto. If youre going power, anyway. 

With full int + heal skill up + shadowstep up ? no way lol

No shadowforce though, a fair bit of damage taken, and the mechanist had everything up.

You see the guard go down before the specter get burst and the guard stay to prevent the tag until he get DC

Sure, the guard was getting ready to move earlier. But thats because the spectre was losing the 1v1 (obviously), and he had to cover tranquility. IF he didnt come, the spectre gets killed, and tranquility gets taken. 

• Confused 2