fishing droprates are still horrendous

On 4/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, Merzin.5012 said:

Yes it is. But if you don't know it's both in a different time, you may not notice it at all. I found out by accident when I inadvertently used a mouse wheel while watching dusk/dawn time...

The canthan day/night cycle actually is on the event timer page, right at the top of the End of Dragons section (where it belongs imo), and has been there since that page was updated for Cantha as far as I recall. I've been using the ET page for dusk/dawn fishing both in Cantha and the rest of the world from the start.

I have completed all other collections (including Avid ones), except saltwater, which is missing one fish to complete the normal collection. Many many many hours trying and still haven´t caught this one fish from release until now...

Since there was no update this week, I gave up and went to other achievements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

After fishing for half an hour (just today, fished for hours here previously) in the Mysterious Waters I've had 18 rares and 3 exotics drop, multiples from saltwater and world class, but none of which I need. I still need a Seahorse for the first saltwater collection.

I feel like there's an issue that arises where if you need a single fish for a collection, the droprate for that fish is decreased - much like the issue that people are having with "The Six" collection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, morpheus.6489 said:

Saltwater fish catch rate needs to be addressed asap. This time real changes need to be made.

I can fully relate to that. I'm at 26/30 and only need Saltwater, World Class and of course both again as Avid Achievements. I started fishing after the "fix" to saltwater was made.... but for me it looks like the droprate is exactly fixed like Tsunami Dodger... 🤨

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hallelujah!!

From today's patch notes:

• Increased the drop rate of snow crabs and Krytan crawfish when players fish from open water to provide more reliable sources of crustacean meat.
  • Increased the drop rate of regional fish of exotic, ascended, and legendary rarity that are only available during dusk and dawn.
  • Increased the drop rate of regional fish of exotic rarity that are only available during day or night.
  • Increased the drop rate of fish from the Saltwater Fisher collection when fishing from open water and from nodes named Saltwater Fish.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did some testing on those drop rates and it really makes a noticeable difference. (For example Krytan Crawfish seem to make up about 50% of all Krytan "white fish" drops.) Would have certainly saved me a lot of pain if drop rates had been closer to this from the start, so there is hope that the way to Cod-level is quite a bit easier for those who are still trying to get there.

• Like 2

I'm doing some testing today in Caledon Forest. I used +100 Bait (not favored by any of the Maguuma Fish), +100 Lure, +150 Fishing Food, and I have all of the Fishing Masteries completed.

100  Saltwater Fishing Nodes (to build fishing stacks)

1 - Piece of Driftwood (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Rotten Fish Head (Aquatic Trash Collector)

2 - Golden Merlion Statuettes (Aquatic Treasure Collector)

1 - Antique Diving Helm (Aquatic Treasure Collector)

1 - Tarnished Bronze Astrolabe (Aquatic Treasure Collector)

4 - Oscar (Maguuma Fisher)

3 - Silver Drum (Maguuma Fisher)

5 - Surubim (Maguuma Fisher)

17 - Maguuma Trout (Maguuma Fisher)

42 - Wolffish (Maguuma Fisher)

4 - Maguuma Jacks (Maguuma Fisher)

1 - Clawfish (World Class Fisher)

1 - Twilight Striker (World Class Fisher)

4 - Sunscale Striker (World Class Fisher)

5 - Moonscale Striker (World Class Fisher)

1 - Leafy Sea Dragon (Saltwater Fisher)

1 - Mantis Shrimp (Saltwater Fisher)

1 - Vampire Squid (Saltwater Fisher)

1 - Rockfish (Saltwater Fisher)

1 - Flapjack Octopus (Saltwater Fisher)

1 - Aurelian Herring (Saltwater Fisher)

2 - Red Gunard (Saltwater Fisher)

Result: 2/25 Saltwater Fisher collection items from Saltwater Fishing nodes

I'm going to complete 100 attempts in Open Water now that I have 99 stacks and I'll post those results later.

• Thanks 1

Here are my Open Water in Caledon Forest results. As before, I used +100 Bait (not favored by any of the Maguuma Fish), +100 Lure, +150 Fishing Food, and I have all of the Fishing Masteries completed. All of these were completed with 875% Fishing Power.

100 Open Water in Caledon Forest

1 - Pockmarked Vase (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Crumbled Ancient Statue (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Broken Bottle (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Piece of Driftwood (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Broken Fishing Hook (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Rotten Fish Head (Aquatic Trash Collector)

2 - Broken Oar (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Fish-Shaped Stone (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Broken Trident (Aquatic Trash Collector)

4 - Shattered Fishing Cage (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Tangled Net (Aquatic Trash Collector)

1 - Silverfish (World Class Fisher)

1 - Goldfish (World Class Fisher)

1 - Hermit Crab Tonic

1 - Partially Chewed Box

1 - Can of Worms

29 - Piranha (Maguuma Fisher)

17 - Snook (Maguuma Fisher)

11 - Oscar (Maguuma Fisher)

10 - Silver Drum (Maguuma Fisher)

10 - Surubim (Maguuma Fisher)

1 - Fangfish (World Class Fisher)

1 - Bonefish (World Class Fisher)

1 - Totemfish (World Class Fisher)

Result: 0/100 Saltwater Fisher collection items from Open Water in Caledon Forest

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 7:19 PM, oingo oingo.5217 said:

Fishing power does NOTHING aside from make it easier to catch fish, i get more ascended/legendary/exotic streaks with lower FP and stacks then with higher FP + stacks, i feel this needs some clarification as to how it works and whether or not it is bugged (I know it is)

I second that request as I have had similar experiences while fishing for three days straight for two weekends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Fishing (from a skiff) implementation was obviously never properly play-tested or simulated. There are so many things just wrong, e. g.:

• Why is the stacking fishing power buff tied to being on a skiff and why is it a skiff mastery in the first place?
  • Why do I loose stacks of the buff when leaving the skiff for just  a few (15) seconds? It should stay as long as you do not leave the map. Even when logging out.
  • Why do I loose stacks  when forced out of  a map instance?
  • Why do I need to worry about (my skiff) being attacked and loosing all accumulated fishing power?  Why can't I just fully relax while fishing? 
  • Why is the skiff treated as a mount and not as a pet? It would get a separate health bar in the UI for free, if it were a pet (and maybe prevent ranger pets from swimming under the skiff). If it truly was a mount, it should at least get the health buff from the turtle mastery.
  • Why are you thrown off the skiff (mount) when reaching the end of the map or crossing a "no mount" area?
  • Why isn't there an account-wide tackle box?
  • Why isn't there an indicator in the UI (without opening a panel which covesr half of your screen) to show which bait and lure you are currently using, how many charges are still available, what the current fishing power is and how it relates to the zone/pool requirement?
  • Why does the fishing UI look like a placeholder from an  early development stage? Especially now that this tiny skiff health bar has been added which can easily overlap with other UI elements.
  • Why isn't the difficulty (movement pattern/speed of the bobber) related to the rarity of the fish on the hook? 
  • Why do bobbers of other players sometimes still persist in the world after they have left? Patch notes claim that this has been fixed. Why do I see bobbers from other players (not in my party) at all? To confuse me?
  • Why may skiffs from other players or even my own block line of sight when casting?
  • Why doesn't equipping the fishing pole "auto-anchor" when the skiff is not moving?
  • Why is there such a huge delay after each catch in which you can't do anything but watching your character cheer? Is this to counter bots?
  • Why doesn't the width of the marker further increase when reaching the recommended fishing power? Also to counter bots?
  • Why can't I drop a feast for other people when on a skiff?
  • What's the purpose of mutiple tiers of sushi? Does Magic Find affect what I fish? Where is this documented?
  • What's the use of food made from fish oustide of fishing?
  • Does fishing power have an affect on the rarity of the fish being caught? Which? Where is this documented?
  • Should day/night fish be possible to be caught during dusk/dawn?  I know that they are, e. g. the Stargazer, or are some tooltips just wrong?
  • Why isn't there a proper day/night/dusk/dawn indicator in the UI? Is fishing supposed to require having the event timers page from the wiki opened on a second display?
  • How did Anet come up with the loot conditions (zone, pool, bait, time of day) for the various fish? By throwing darts or rolling dice?  
  • Why do I need to complete almost all fishing collections twice for the "Cod swimming among ..." title? Did Anet run out of names for fish?

I could go on and on ...

As it stands, fishing is just a half-assed rip off from Stardew Valley, implemented by a bunch of easily-satisfied "developers" and barely (if at all) play-tested or simulated before release,.

It's hard to believe that fishing was implemented by the same (quality of) developers who implemented the by far best mounts of any MMO ever during PoF. But maybe this is exactly the problem. It's not the same developers/company anymore.

Edited by xlion.3065
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:31 AM, Thanatos.2691 said:

Yeah I just dropped fishing.  Too much time spent for too little reward.  

100% this, its just not rewarding or fun.. And a nightmare to keep up with. Whoever designed it did it wrong for western customers.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dusk and dawn needs to be a bit longer like 10-15 minutes since it is pretty much horrendous to do.
Legendary fish Muskellunge is still a pain to get seen, and I've seen others get it while I have fished up greens and more greens for 6h.

Edited by eyelogix.1654
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why are you all so much in a hurry?

And as far as i can see, there are a lot of ppl still enjoying fishing. otherwise i don't know why the price for ambergris keeps falling.

And why are you testing open water in caledon and complain while anet buffed saltwater fishing nodes in caledon? - At least 8 of your 100 fish in those nodes were saltwater, so what is the problem?

And why are you complaining that wiki does not list the day/nighttime cycle properly even though it does?

You definitely need to relax, it is just fishing...

And in case you don't know: World class fish are best caught in kessex hills and Saltwater fish are best caught in saltwater fishing nodes in caledon.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Florimel.8069 said:

Why are you all so much in a hurry?

And as far as i can see, there are a lot of ppl still enjoying fishing. otherwise i don't know why the price for ambergris keeps falling.

And why are you testing open water in caledon and complain while anet buffed saltwater fishing nodes in caledon? - At least 8 of your 100 fish in those nodes were saltwater, so what is the problem?

And why are you complaining that wiki does not list the day/nighttime cycle properly even though it does?

You definitely need to relax, it is just fishing...

And in case you don't know: World class fish are best caught in kessex hills and Saltwater fish are best caught in saltwater fishing nodes in caledon.

Because its terrible and not fun at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

• 3 weeks later...