Chalice of Tears needs help - checkpoints and ambient damge

The JP as currently set up is frustration incarnate,. You can spend HOURS not even getting to the third checkpoint as it is too far from checkpoint 2 (which is right at the start, so basically forces you to redo the entire puzzle) and there are too many instant fail jump/glide part between them. The puzzle is bad enough about near pixel precision needed for some parts, but at the very least, assuming no one wants to redesign it to make it more reasonable (as that would require map editing), there need to be more save points so you aren't spending hours doing exactly the same jumps over and over and over and over.

I have not gone back to Searing Ascent yet, but I suspect many of the same comments apply.

The other issue is ambient damage. I have made jumps only to receive lava damage and die and have to start over from checkpoint 2 again. Especially after a while, you will be in entirely broken armor, and there in no way to fix it without leaving. One mitigation would be for the checkpionts to fix your armor, but even better would be to lower the ambient damage, at least from lava other than the main caldera at the bottom (if you are there you lost already anyway and want to die fast since /gg isn't available) and remove the lava elementals. The JP hard enough without dying from something ELSE as well while trying to make the difficult jumps. Quite frankly, this begins to feel like being punished for not having done the JP flawlessly in one go after a bit as it actively becomes harder to survive the longer you try.

I am seriously considering taking a break from the game entirely just from having done this for an extended period with how much I am not having fun. People not already invested in the game might outright uninstall on encountering this. The map is no longer heavily populated either, so the groups helping people to do it(actually do it, not just he mesmers selling it, though them too) are now gone and it's hell to go through yourself without even others around you for encouragement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Chalice of tears is filled to the brim by players in agony over this jp. It fits the name well. Are you using taco? It’s really helpful in these kinds of jp. You might also want to ask for help from a mesmer in lfg. I know many players like to help out in situations like this, but with sab and eod release it’s natural that less players are there at this moment. 

• Confused 1

I would surely have lost my sanity doing that puzzle without the position rewinder gizmo which allows you to zap back to the position you were in when you activated it.  That and a youtube video that I could use to review each jump before I tried it.  I am in awe of the people who did it early on before there were guides, it's unbelievable that they were able to figure out some of the exacting jumps that are required.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have blish hud and tekkit for the paths. The EXECUTION (pixel perfection), the ambient damage deaths, and the huge gap between checkpoints 2 and 3 are the problem. The fact they can be somewhat mitigated with an item that came out years later and players first reaching the story in order don't have is not a solution for the inherent issues.

"You can't say something does the job if it requires 5 other things to do what it's supposed to do."

Edited by Boogiepop Void.6473
  • Sad 1

Chalice takes time to master, it isn't something one could learn in a day, unless you are some sort of jump puzzle savant. It took me a long time to learn the right path, tricks for skipping a few tedious spots, and learning the weirder jumps... Now it takes me roughly 3-5 minutes to get all checkpoints, and another 2 min for the end chest. 

That said, They reaaaally need to stop greasing the rocks! So freakin' slippery! No clear consistancy on what angles are safe to be on and what will cause you to slide to your doom.

And that jump from the second chest... just what?! There is NOTHING that tells you were to jump to and land on, then you finally figure out you just aim for this one dent and the jump to that next rock is so fickle!! UGH. My tears were shed at that spot for daaaays. Then I find out anyone with a leap or a teleport can just bypass it. I cryed more that day.

Overall I enjoyed the challenge and would probably do it all over again. The  jump puzzles Anet make are really great in my opinion. However Super Happy Asura Box can eat rocks. FOREVER.

Just now, Khisanth.2948 said:

That is apparently disabled anywhere that mounts are disabled because .... reasons?

Ah, bummer. That would have taken care of some of the more frustrating places you have to glide and land on a narrow ledge before jumping up to progress.

• Confused 1

Being able to use the jade bot glider boost on the jumping puzzle on the island in EoD is just soooo nice.  Fall, glide, boost, get back to where you were.  That puzzle lets you use your mount to get back to the last check point (lit cauldron) but mounting causes you to lose the torch that you need to light the next cauldron.  It makes for a relatively chill JP.  I like it, others may not.

lol... i laugh only because i didn't do this puzzle until it was required for the "return to" achievements for the big meta achievement. then the game crashed a few times while getting mesmer ports, so i had to start over (because crashing reset the markers), and finally got it from mesmers after hours of failing. i'll probably never go back. it's more fun to just web-surf while waiting for a large download to finish... after all, some of these new games are 150GB...

2 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

Being able to use the jade bot glider boost on the jumping puzzle on the island in EoD is just soooo nice.  Fall, glide, boost, get back to where you were.  That puzzle lets you use your mount to get back to the last check point (lit cauldron) but mounting causes you to lose the torch that you need to light the next cauldron.  It makes for a relatively chill JP.  I like it, others may not.

Wrong jumping puzzle. 

13 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

I would surely have lost my sanity doing that puzzle without the position rewinder gizmo which allows you to zap back to the position you were in when you activated it.  That and a youtube video that I could use to review each jump before I tried it.  I am in awe of the people who did it early on before there were guides, it's unbelievable that they were able to figure out some of the exacting jumps that are required.

They weren't. Not really, i mean. I was there when people were figuring out that JP, and it wasn;t individual people doing it - it was a massive group effort, with people trying out all possible options and all possible pathways (and finding out which of those pathways are dead ends, because that wasn't always immediately apparent), and sharing on map/group/guild/sites etc their findings, allowing others to use them for their own further tries.

11 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

You don’t need anywhere near pixel perfect jumping.  I also feel the whole it takes hours argument is just a hyperbole. 

There's at least one spot near the end that does require that. Ironically, compared to other stuff that's there this one looks pretty easy. Except it's not, because you keep sliding down unless you jump from a very specific point towards a very exact spot at a precise angle.

Although yes, that one can be bypassed by using of some skills that allow for precise landing (like engi rifle jump). Most classes do not have access to those however.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I love jumping puzzles, but whatever crossed their mind when doing chalice of tears was wrong. Searing ascent shares many of the same issues and so does, to a much lesser extent, abbadon's ascent. So it seems to be a thing with that living season.

I mean, i love them, but in a weird hateful way... there is a lot of thrill but also a lot of frustration coming from unclear and almost impossible to guess paths, bad textures and too many risky jumps. But still, i wouldn't change anything from them and i honestly hope that some similar wrong mess becomes a thing in the future as long as it is a niche thing not tied to any acheivement that everyone needs to do.

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

There's at least one spot near the end that does require that. Ironically, compared to other stuff that's there this one looks pretty easy. Except it's not, because you keep sliding down unless you jump from a very specific point towards a very exact spot at a precise angle.

Although yes, that one can be bypassed by using of some skills that allow for precise landing (like engi rifle jump). Most classes do not have access to those however.

There is the experimental rifle consumable although messing up on the aim for that can cause other issues that is worse than missing the jump.

I’m not a fan of its design, but I understood it was meant as a mega challenging up for those who love them. And to be honest, that isn’t really something I have an issue with. It’s later developers deciding it then needed tying in to later achievements without them going back and reviewing whether the JP needed some reworks or including in those achievements at all. 

After doing it a few times lately (with rewinder and help of other people) and now know the path it's not really that bad anymore. It's not a JP with many precision jumps and doesnt have the time pressure. Its more of an exploration JP that encourages cooperation. The part I dont like is actually the entrance because you just might die there if you are a bit unlucky and not completely confident in the path.

But yeah doing it solo without rewinder for the first time without cheats like taco, its very frustrating.