Why do so many people choose wvw as a 1v1 dueling lobby?

gorgoroth.8360

I just don't get it, you see your ally fighting another guy, so you jump in to help only for him to back off and and tell you not to interfere.
Pretty sure the pvp lobby was made for 1v1 combat and still you got people like that circle jerking eachother in wvw.
Is there really an incentive to ''1v1 me bruh'' in wvw?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Gear and Skills working often different than in PvP and PvE Areas.

Incl. more Stat-Variants.

Did you feeling disturbed by people duelling or small scaling?

I don't see any problems with them. They don't hurt my feelings. 😛

Wvw is a bit more than blobfights - since day 1.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Damash.2754 said:

Gear and Skills working often different than in PvP and PvE Areas.

Incl. more Stat-Variants.

Did you feeling disturbed by people duelling or small scaling?

I don't see any problems with them. They don't hurt my feelings. 😛

Wvw is a bit more than blobfights - since day 1.

That you end up in smaller scale fights? Understandable, but when you turns a 1v1 into a 2v1 just because one of those guys is on your team and they get offended over it. Screw it give them their own little circlejerk box where they can just beat eachother up. 

If the stat variation is really such a make or break for them, why not give them an area where they can duel, without getting disturbed. Don't think it'd be good for the game if you have an evironment where you get people salty for helping your allies.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

If you are directly above or below south camp (alpine border), its where players gather to duel. Move along if you dont like it. You will highly likely get ganked by the rest of the duelers otherwise. And from my experience, the duelers are skilled and dont kitten around.

If its elsewhere, obviously its nice if you get asked to kitten off that you do. But it happens, sometimes you dont read chat on time, etc.. Not a big deal if you interfered then IMO.

As for why people duel... when you roam sometimes you run into someone you want to 1v1 and they want to duel you also (they liked your build, your playstyle, your attitude, they think you are good and vice versa). Or overall you want practice against specific builds (good way to learn matchups). Or you want to duel - I spent a lot of time in WoW just dueling, and so did others. Likewise I duel a lot in GW2.

For not 1v1ing in spvp, balancing there is very different. If you main wvw roaming, wvw is where you want to duel.

And as for "circlejerk"... personally I find ganking to be graceless garbage. You dont find me insulting players who only do that. To each their own, wvw is about finding your own fun.

For an extra area, there is armistice. It does get dueling and it does have shitheads who interrupt even there. But they do that specifically to ruin other players fun. Not to help out.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

I just don't get it, you see your ally fighting another guy, so you jump in to help only for him to back off and and tell you not to interfere.

That is your reasoning. But first, that player isn't necessarily your ally, despite being from your same server. Your approach on WvW could not be the same than his own. Second, maybe he just wants to duel and you are ruining that duel, why wouldn't he tell you to not interfere?

28 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

Pretty sure the pvp lobby was made for 1v1 combat and still you got people like that circle jerking eachother in wvw.

First, the PvP instances have less build options, less stats and I'm sure also less sigils and runes, while WvW has the full PvE approach apart from balance. Second, many people choose to go to WvW because is more relaxing. You roam a little, take a camp, gank someone, duel someone, talk with people in team/map chat, help to take a tower, make another round of duels... while also receiving rewards through participation. You only get half that experience in PvP, so is not rare people prefer roaming in WvW rather than the PvP lobby.

5 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

but when you turns a 1v1 into a 2v1

That's the problem. They don't want you to turn anything, they don't want your help, they don't need it. It is a duel, a courtesy fight where both players have fun playing the way they want or just testing themselves against certain builds/opponents. And you are ruining it, why don't you just move along, like most people in WvW do? What kind of personal problem do you have to be bothered by something as futile as two persons you don't know fighting each other?

Edited by Telgum.6071
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Usually duelling happening on certains spots.

Duellers might be pissed, but thats pretty normal and nothing you should take to serious.

But there are also people around who loves to crash duells. So for them it's often frustraiting aswell.

Don't forget that a Duelist can change to another Role in the big playground so called WvW very easy and very quickly.
Duelist, Roamer, Blobber, Scouts ...  are part and needed for WvW for years. It's kinda prooven.
And it works, sometimes people have to take different roles because nothing other going on.

And rivalries as well as enmities also want to be cultivated. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

Is there really an incentive to ''1v1 me bruh'' in wvw?

If someone cant handle 1 vs. X they deserve to die. So, next time kill em quick 😝

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I guess a lot of people in this thread in need of a 1v1 lobby with both pvp and wvw scaling.
The wvw maps were never inteded for ''no outside intereference' 1v1 fights. 

Do y'all get mad at pve players for doing open world events too?
Do y'all get mad at pvp players for capping the point?
Why do y'all get mad if people play the game as intended?

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

27 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

Stands where?

Game was released 2012 and people doing what they want to do there and that is and was never the big issues in this gamemode.

Blobbers like never getting disturbed by a handful of Duellist.

27 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

Actually two times : no.

30 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

The intention ist fight and/or capping, right?

Nothing other than this the duellist do.

Please broaden your horizons in this case.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

I guess a lot of people in this thread in need of a 1v1 lobby with both pvp and wvw scaling.

The wvw maps were also never intended for "you must always attack enemy players".

If you try to help a fellow player because you do not realize they were dueling, it happens. No worries. With time you learn the typical dueling spots and then can you just ran past them without disturbing them if you are nice.

• Like 3

One pretty important thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Duels are often spontaneous.

It is like the difference between GvG and Skirmishes. On a surface level they look the same but they are different.

There may be some people who go into WvW just to go to duelling spot and do nothing else.

However, quite alot of duels are the results of roaming or has roaming fill its gaps. If you are already in WvW you are not going to challenge another player to hop over to sPvP when you can just go to south camp or wherever. There are people who hop into sPvP or some gem pass map but then it is usually something more intended.

• Like 1

Couple of things:

Red is dead.  Killing him is one risk they take.

That being said, be prepared if your ‘teammate’ backs off and doesn’t help you.  Don’t be ‘hurt’ if he lets his dueling partner stomp you.  Especially if he asked you to stop and you didn’t.  Which is your choice.

WvW is the closest to a sandbox that this game has.  Do what you wish understanding that you also need to take the consequences.  

If your ‘teammate’ was angry, oh well.  I don’t intervene in duels that I know, but I don’t stress either way.  You shouldn’t either.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

No one is saying you CAN'T interfere, same as no one forces people to play the way YOU want. In WvW you do whatever you wish, and if you interfere in someone else's bussines, they may be angry at you. Do you find that strange?

54 minutes ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

Aren't you the one who is mad because people asks you ingame to not interfere? And is the game intended to play "interrupting duels" as you do?

Lots of questions yet you answer none, I guess deep inside you know you are wrong in your reasoning.

• Like 6

WvW also isn't a karma train lobby, and there is little incentive to treat it as such, yet we have entire servers that avoid fights entirely to do so.

It is an open world of PvPvE. The rules are; don't hack, don't exploit.
Anything beyond that is self imposed. Your frustrations are your own - they don't make the rules.

• Like 5

It is a contentious topic. Essentially it is a matter of a different balance between sPvP and WvW, and a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I duel very occasionally and I made some good friend there. Duels are happening at the specific spot (south of Alpine borderland) instead of the Edge of the mist because of the short time needed to go there, the concentration of people passing by and nearby objectives to keep your participation rolling... and quite frankly because of habit at that point.

Personally, I am not too sure about the participation argument. If a "duelist" is going to attack a Dolyak, a player that is just passing by or the camp I just caped then they are breaking the "duelist neutrality" and it is fair game to not treat them as duelist anymore ; I am ok with duelist caping the ruin and kinda ok with the sentry though. For the rest, I don't really like the current situation both from the duelist and non-duelist perspective and I wish duelists had a defined server wide purpose (like ruin does) but duels are happening whether we like it or not so it is better to give them the neutrality treatment as long as they also abide by it.

Edited by Guybrush.4762

16 minutes ago, Guybrush.4762 said:

It is a contentious topic. Essentially it is a matter of a different balance between sPvP and WvW, and a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I duel very occasionally and I made some good friend there. Duels are happening at the specific spot (south of Alpine borderland) instead of the Edge of the mist because of the short time needed to go there, the concentration of people passing by and nearby objectives to keep your participation rolling... and quite frankly because of habit at that point.

Personally, am not too sure about the participation argument. If a "duelist" is going to attack a Dolyak, a player that is just passing by or the camp I just caped then they are breaking the "duelist neutrality" and it is fair game to not treat them as duelist anymore ; I am ok with duelist caping the ruin and kinda ok with the sentry though. For the rest, I wish duelists had a defined server wide purpose (like ruin does) but duels are happening whether we like it or not so it is better to give them the neutrality treatment as long as they also abide by it.

I definitely don't think there's a ''pro'' duelist perspective to be had.
If theres really such a high demand for 1v1 in the wvw balancing, let them have a duel arena. 
But to camp and brigade an area to claim it as dueling grounds is quite frankly stupid.

There's only 2 viable solutions for those kind of players, either anet gives them their circlejerk arena, or playing a different game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

Just now, gorgoroth.8360 said:

If theres really such a high demand for 1v1 in the wvw balancing, let them have a duel arena. 
But to camp and brigade an area to claim it as dueling grounds is quite frankly stupid.

There's only 2 viable solutions for those kind of players, either anet gives them their circlejerk arena, or playing a different game.

Then maybe you can enjoy a different game but  we’d hate to lose you.  🤷

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

You can do whatever you want, and they have no say in the matter. But if it's some duel in the middle of nowhere, why even bother ruining it? Also you don't have to 1v1 anyone so not sure where this duel me bro thing is coming from. Also with the new EoD specs, it's extremely hard to properly test them.

Granted with some people there is no win. Some will get angry if you interfere, some will get angry if you don't 2v1 the person. Usually I just don't go full on bursting and if it's actually a duel they will break off properly.

I do think the north of South camp is a bad place to duel, because there can be a lot of traffic, so if people get run over there it's their fault, espeically when they arbitrarily want the dueler's protection and will still attack randoms that pass by anyways.

The one I really don't get is right in front of SMC,which is the equivalent of playing in traffic.. The sides are much better.

In any case, you might actually wonder why you should give anyone courtesy, despite it being tactically inferior. Well, this is because if you run everyone of the map, then there is nothing to do and everyone just logs off. So with that in mind, being 100% ruthless isn't better for the health of your experience.  At a basic level, those random roamers flipping south things lets you do dailies and stuff. And maybe if you annoy your teammate, then that's also 1 less defender you may call on in the future. You don't know dueling is all they do.

Granted, your opponent may not actually care, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Yes, it's a war game. But it's also a sandbox too, and if nobody wants to play, then winning is pretty meaningless. Respect between teammates is important, though to be fair it's also a two way street so if you feel they're not putting in the effort, then do w/e you want.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

You have four big maps to play on, the duelist pick a small spot to duel(for 9 years now), if you want to jump into those, the consequences are on you, not your teammates. Don't go into wvw thinking everyone is suppose to help you just because their names are green, everyone is looking out for themselves they are also managing what they can take on or not, if you are in a party or squad that's a little different story.

But it's on you to think about the situations you are getting into and out of, if you think red is dead and try to solo hunt down everything, then suddenly want help when you get more than you can handle, that's on you. That's your fault for not reading the situation properly, every random is not here to play your bodyguard. If you're solo and poking at one guy but they have 3 behind them, chances are those 3 are gonna join in. If you get help count it as lucky, if not, read the situation and plan your escape if needed next time.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

Which area people usually use for dueling is somehow in your way of having fun in wvw that it hurts you so much?

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Which area people usually use for dueling is somehow in your way of having fun in wvw that it hurts you so much?

(I am sure you know this as well 🙂)

We know the most likely scenario:  the OP interrupted a duel (likely unsuspectedly) , and his ally pulled off and the OP was killed and was mad because his ally didn’t help him.

Or, the next likely scenario is he interrupted, took advantage of the enemy having no cooldowns, killed them then was flamed in chat.  

So, OP was so not bothered by this that they took the time to come onto the forums to start a thread flaming duels in WvW.  Kind of like the dev who said that GvG’ers were killing his game mode…. 

🤷

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

(I am sure you know this as well 🙂)

We know the most likely scenario:  the OP interrupted a duel (likely unsuspectedly) , and his ally pulled off and the OP was killed and was mad because his ally didn’t help him.

Or, the next likely scenario is he interrupted, took advantage of the enemy having no cooldowns, killed them then was flamed in chat.  

So, OP was so not bothered by this that they took the time to come onto the forums to start a thread flaming duels in WvW.  Kind of like the dev who said that GvG’ers were killing his game mode…. 

🤷

That's a lot of assumption even though the original post was plain and clear in the first sentence. 

55 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You got it backwards. In the OP, the other person who was dueling was the one who got aggressive and complained. Seems like the OP wasn't concerned about anyone being in their way, more that someone chewed them out for helping them in an area they're supposed to help them in. 

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 1