Am I going crazy or did they bug Mirror Blade in a recent patch?!

agrippastrilemma.8741

8 hours ago, Simonoly.4352 said:

Did Anet just remove the Mirror Blade nerf inherent to Virtuoso by nerfing it all other Mesmer specs? 😆

I know it's probably just a bug, but it would be hilarious if true.

Yeah my first thought was that it is related to Virtuoso in some way, maybe they tested removing the clone bounce and it found its way into the live game for example.

• Like 1

Unfortunately ANet made such ridiculous changes in the past, that I can very much imagine they want to delete the bounce from GS completely just because it doesn’t work with virtuoso. Would fit perfectly with their new doctrine to rather delete game content then even thinking remotely about a good solution.

• Like 5

I didn't notice it because I always cast mirror blade in my range to shatter burst or in a group of ennemies.

But are you sure it bounced ?

thought that's why the combo has to cast the phantasm first (before the phantasm rework at last) for the bounce to bounce over the phantasm because it didn't on the created clone since release.

Did someone has a video of a range bounce before the patch ?

Edited by viquing.8254

1 hour ago, viquing.8254 said:

I didn't notice it because I always cast mirror blade in my range to shatter burst or in a group of ennemies.

thought that's why the combo has to cast the phantasm first (before the phantasm rework at last) for the bounce to bounce over the phantasm because it didn't on the created clone since release.

ah kitten nvm it didnt bounce from the clone i only showed the bounce from another near target. sry for dat. but the explanation makes it still clear tbh, the way gs is supposed to works is, it bounces either from the nearest enemy or nearest friendly foe. so it bounce from clone when no one else is near enough.

but if they plan to remove the bounce bc they are not able to fix virtu issues with gs2 they will kill the whole identity and mechanical deepness of that weapon. but would be just a typical clueless anet move of avoiding to solve a problem and instead make stuff clunky while killing skill ceiling/cap.

Edited by JazzXman.7018
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JazzXman.7018 said:

ah kitten nvm it didnt bounce from the clone i only showed the bounce from another near target. sry for dat. but the explanation makes it still clear tbh, the way gs is supposed to works is, it bounces either from the nearest enemy or nearest friendly foe. so it bounce from clone when no one else is near enough.

but if they plan to remove the bounce bc they are not able to fix virtu issues with gs2 they will kill the whole identity and mechanical deepness of that weapon. but would be just a typical clueless anet move of avoiding to solve a problem and instead make stuff clunky while killing skill ceiling/cap.

Just got done some testing myself, I used golem dummy, here are my results :

--Starting out of combat, no other skill used. No clones up, I use GS 2.

1 hit only. It doesn't bounce to clone.

--Already in combat, using GS1 auto, no clones up, I use GS 2.

1 hit only. Does not bounce.

^^^^ It did not use to be like this IIRC

--Already in combat, one clone is already up. I use GS 2, it creates clone and bounces ( I need to test more, but so far every time I've tested, it bounces to the clone already made and then the golem back and forth, not the clone it spawns)

So, from my memory, the theme of GS2 is essentially, if you use it on a single target, it creates a nice ranged burst. The sword hits, creates a clone, and then bounces between the clone and foe many times to create that satisfying feeling.

When used on many targets, it bounces between them all, giving some AOE, and then the added bonus/utility of it being able to bounce to allies as well to give them might.

The bounces prioritize players over clones/pets, thus the classic mesmer one shot combo was born. Throw the sword at enemy, blink right on top of them, the sword bounces, you shatter 1, hopefully enemy dead. Add w/e else you want on top.

Then anet changed it to (Again off memory here so maybe this didnt happen that way?) only be able to be used in combat, a nice compromise i guess so people just dont get randomly one shotted from stealth. Idk.

Anyways! Yes, as it stands now, I agree 100% with Jazz the spirit of mesmer GS2 is broken.

I have always had the idea of changing mirror blade into mirror cut, where, much like some revenant skills, if used on an isolated enemy = full damage, if used on multiple = split damage among enemies

The idea being it could be a ground targeted AOE like mind stab ( but with multiple hits ) or it could just be targeted ability that is also an aoe.

For core mes the ability could still create a clone, while for virt it would stock a blade.

Edit : Could even make it function how Guardian Focus 4 skill, ray of judgment, does, but with a faster tempo.

Edited by Waffles.5632

I think there is something else happening here and it has to do with the timing of the first blade bounce and the spawning of the clone. After the blade hits the target it looks for something to bounce to. In the past the clone had already spawned at that point so it could bounce towards the clone. There was perhaps some dirty hack involved to make this work, because you would not expect the clone to already exist when the blade hits the target. They probably cleaned that up when they worked on Virtuoso without realizing it would break the functionality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this causes some other weird issues too, like in WvW when hitting a Lord and throwing the Blade it only hits the Lord once and then just kinda vanishes, even though there are like 30 allies  (+ the Clone) to bounce from around the Lord

Probably because I'm not in a group with them it prioritizes the Clone, which is broken

Pls fix, the ranged poke this used to provide was great

Edited by Lunia.2736

On 4/17/2022 at 8:18 PM, katte nici.9483 said:

I think there is something else happening here and it has to do with the timing of the first blade bounce and the spawning of the clone. After the blade hits the target it looks for something to bounce to. In the past the clone had already spawned at that point so it could bounce towards the clone. There was perhaps some dirty hack involved to make this work, because you would not expect the clone to already exist when the blade hits the target. They probably cleaned that up when they worked on Virtuoso without realizing it would break the functionality.

It wasn't when Virtuoso was added because it used to work in the Virtuoso beta (not on Virtuoso obviously but on core) and I'm 90% sure it used to work on EoD release. I believe that it got changed when they buffed Mirror Blade damage a few weeks ago.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:24 AM, viquing.8254 said:

Yes it used to bounce, that was one of the common Virtuoso complaints, that the Mirror Blade became worse because there was no longer a clone for it to bounce to

i bet this isn't a bug just a "kinda preview" of what they are going to change due to adjustments with virtu all over the place. my guess is, they are going to remove the "base weapon skill gs bounce" so you have to trait it in domination with bountiful blades... this will cost us 2 bounces i guess.. so overall just another mesmer nerf 😞

Edit: we are all wrong maybe and it never bounced at the clone created by the mirror blade throw on its own. it only bounced at other clones already near.
that means kinda, it never worked properly xD

Edited by Gilderin.4763

Mirror Blade used to create the clone upon hitting the target and then bounce on the created clone.  With the maximum damage against a single target It enabled you to burst a single target from max distance, a great opener.  Now is crap against a single foe if the blade/greatsword can't bounce.  It makes no sense that it can burst at range against two foes by bouncing between them, but not against a single one even if it's clone is present.

Report it and good luck...  If the change was done due to the Virtuoso,  you could end with a worse skill than before.

Edited by Zoser.7245