So, story is a walk over now?

I oneshot some boss at the end of the Flame and Frost Story in the Molten Facility. How Anet thinks that this is good game design is beyond me. Fights should not be so one sided, how can you even give a boss such little health that I can accidentally kill it with one stroke of my hammer? This is not good or fun game design. I am a commoner from Divinity's Reach, not a God. Imagine being rewarded for THAT.

Such a pathetic ending to the story. Sitting through years of dialogue from poorly written characters to accidentally kill the end boss. 

What a joke.

In FFXIV this would have been a fun and engaging fight, a boss worth remembering.

I sincerely hope the story gets better from here on out.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 38
  • Sad 1

Flame and Frost is chapter one of the GuildWars2 living story (after personal story, of course), so you've successfully beaten an introductory baddie. This is what new players will be introduced to after they complete their tutorial and are introduced to combat basics and other gameplay elements on the road to level 80.

It is not supposed to be difficult, so it sounds like they've designed it well.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Flame and Frost is chapter one of the GuildWars2 living story (after personal story, of course), so you've successfully beaten an introductory baddie. This is what new players will be introduced to after they complete their tutorial and are introduced to combat basics and other gameplay elements on the road to level 80.

It is not supposed to be difficult, so it sounds like they've designed it well.

You do not understand! I did not beat him, I tapped him with one press of my auto attack and he died!

How can he be called a boss? He is not a boss at all, a mere indiscriminate creature taken out by a blow of the wind.

Why should I bother to continue with the story if this is all there is to face?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Shiny.1638 said:

You do not understand! I did not beat him, I tapped him with one press of my auto attack and he died!

How can he be called a boss? He is not a boss at all, a mere indiscriminate creature taken out by a blow of the wind.

By "one tap of my auto attack", do you mean you pressed auto attack once and then waited for him to die without using skills, or did you auto attack him a single time and he died?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

By "one tap of my auto attack", do you mean you pressed auto attack once and then waited for him to die without using skills, or did you auto attack him a single time and he died?

He died immediately from one single auto attack.

I barely had time to realise what happened.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 8

6 minutes ago, Shiny.1638 said:

He died immediately from one single auto attack.

I barely had time to realise what happened.

Dude... you are talking about the noob researcher? He was designed to be a fool. Big talk. Big mouth, but he was nothing.. the machine in the middle is the difficulty. he is not a boss. 

Play on because the next two bosses. The molten alliance ones should be a little more challenging.

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Lucky you.  I'm not sure every new player will have the build that you have.  Was it a core build?  Likely not. 

I use a Core build, same build for 9 years, pretty much, and the boss didn't die with a 'tap' of my auto-attack.

Try not to expect your experience to be everyone's experience.  Just imagine what new players would feel if that Season 1 boss was tuned to a second or third expansion's build.  Seems many might give up and leave.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Dude... you are talking about the noob researcher? He was designed to be a fool. Big talk. Big mouth, but he was nothing.. the machine in the middle is the difficulty. he is not a boss. 

Play on because the next two bosses. The molten alliance ones should be a little more challenging.

It is insulting that they would write this in.

Such a weak, pathetic specimen behind so much? How unsatisfying.

The machine is hardly exciting either, a giant damage soak with no threat that I must spend minutes killing, just for a leaf with the guise of a boss to drop at my feet.

Why they would start the story like this is beyond me.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 18

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

What is the boss’ name? Because my core guardian hits like a wet cornflake soaked for 3 weeks. I reckon I can get him to take a one hit boss in four

He's talking about the scientist that walks out at the end of the molten facility portion (after you destroy the flame-jet machine in the center of the room).  I was a little surprised we didn't have to fight a boss at that point like we do in the fractal version, but I imagine it was intended to be amusing.  The real boss of this instance is molten boss (the two bosses near the end of the instance), which seemed appropriate to a story boss challenge to me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Shiny.1638 said:

It is insulting that they would write this in.

Such a weak, pathetic specimen behind so much? How unsatisfying.

The machine is hardly exciting either, a giant damage soak with no threat that I must spend minutes killing, just for a leaf with the guise of a boss to drop at my feet.

Why they would start the story like this is beyond me.

So, how did you feel about the bosses at the end of the instance? Were they okay?  How difficult do these things need to be, in your opinion?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Lucky you.  I'm not sure every new player will have the build that you have.  Was it a core build?  Likely not. 

I use a Core build, same build for 9 years, pretty much, and the boss didn't die with a 'tap' of my auto-attack.

Try not to expect your experience to be everyone's experience.  Just imagine what new players would feel if that Season 1 boss was tuned to a second or third expansion's build.  Seems many might give up and leave.  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

What is the boss’ name? Because my core guardian hits like a wet cornflake soaked for 3 weeks. I reckon I can get him to take a one hit boss in four

I am a warrior with a hammer, I am running a mix of Cavalier and Berserker as they convey the feel I want for my build. I am not an overpowered damage machine, but I get by as a soldier would.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

42 minutes ago, Shiny.1638 said:

Everyone understands that. What you don't understand is that this content was introduced 9 years ago, when the game was MUCH different than it is now. It's probably not meant to be difficult. It's meant to bridge a gap in the story. 

I mean, if you don't want to continue with the story ... then don't ... but don't think that kind of threat is a compelling reason to change it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

He's talking about the scientist that walks out at the end of the molten facility portion (after you destroy the flame-jet machine in the center of the room).  I was a little surprised we didn't have to fight a boss at that point like we do in the fractal version, but I imagine it was intended to be amusing.  The real boss of this instance is molten boss (the two bosses near the end of the instance), which seemed appropriate to a story boss challenge to me.

How humorous.

There is no satisfaction in silencing a dog that is all bark and no bite. The act leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, and is not a worthy culmination of time invested.

I never progressed to the molten boss, I closed my game in disappointment. I suppose I shall have to seriously consider if I wish to continue, thank the Lord that there is no subscription fee for this.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 21
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Everyone understands that. What you don't understand is that this content was introduced 9 years ago, when the game was MUCH different than it is now. It's probably not meant to be difficult. It's meant to bridge a gap in the story. 

I mean, if you don't want to continue with the story ... then don't ... but don't think that kind of threat is a compelling reason to change it. 

A spider hatchling at the start of the instance provided a more amusing and enthralling battle.

I am unsure why I should feel motivated to advance, and why no changes were made before the story was re-introduced. Does this company not learn from their past mistakes?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 14

2 minutes ago, Shiny.1638 said:

A spider hatchling at the start of the instance provided a more amusing and enthralling battle.

I am unsure why I should feel motivated to advance, and why no changes were made before the story was re-introduced. Does this company not learn from their past mistakes?

It's not an issue of power-creep.  This enemy was obviously intended to die to any attack.  It's not a boss.  Why is this hard to understand?  The boss was the event you did before killing this guy and it's more of a mini-boss because you aren't even halfway through the instance yet.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Personal Story is way too easy, what i don't mind, because it invites new player to the game.

But this exact new player  often complain about the huge step of difficulty in Season 2.

So I think it's smart from ArenaNet to balance Season 1 as in between this both.

Edited by Keymaster.7362
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shiny.1638 said:

I dont understand why you're seeking a challenge out of a comedy character. Have you met Punchin' Bag in the Black Citadel Arena and thought "What a worthy challenger" as well ? 

I reiterate : you have not fought a "boss" you've fought a "chapter boss". And that chapter boss was the machine, not the guy controlling it. Whether the machine itself was an interesting fight is subjective. Personally I prefer the Fractal version because it gives me a run for my money, but then again I've got a couple of years under my belt playing the game.

You're trumped by the idea that this is new content, it's in fact Very old. They've released it because many players never got to experience the -story-. Aside from the Twisted Marionnette, I haven't heard anyone mentionning how great Living World Season 1 fights were. What people wanted it back for was so the story would make sense, and perhaps for a little bit of nostalgia from revisiting areas of the game that were permanently altered.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Shiny.1638 said:

I am unsure why I should feel motivated to advance

I dunno man, would you stop bothering with school after you defeated kindergarten? Do you walk out of movies if something doesn't explode within the first 30 seconds? At minimum you should finish a story step before declaring it's too easy.

At first I thought you at least got to the actual bosses of this instance and found them lackluster, but it turns out you're annoyed that a scripted death wasn't challenging. The 'boss' of that encounter was the death machine in the center of the room, and you'll find a handful of other moments like that across the game (some fractals come to mind). Sometimes you win a fight, solve a puzzle, or survive an attack and then the person responsible for it gets smashed into the dirt and it has nothing to do with combat, it's just there for narrative purposes or comedy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1