Hmmm so the new xpac has been out a while now would you say its P2W?

Is End of Dragons xpac in pvp P2W?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is End of Dragons xpac in pvp P2W?

people have gotten used to the new elite specs by now would you say they are better / more effective at killing the competition than core/pof/hot specs?

if so, when if at all do you think they will finally be balanced?

if its not P2W i got another challenge, name counters to each popular build for the new specs to show why you think its not P2W.

Edit: i got one "haha" but all "no" answers will be disregarded in my head without an explanation as asked above.

Edited by Shadow Dragon.1469
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

In what capacity releasing functional elite specs that SOME (not every single one of them, some) fall under the current META is P2W? If it was to release useless specs might as well not release them at all.

Plus, playing by the META is not the only way to play the game and be good/useful...there's plenty off-META builds that are still useful and will most likely always be.

People cry P2W at everything nowadays...new content, cosmetics...jeez. Grab a Gameforge game and go see what real P2W feels like.

Edited by StarPT.7431
  • Like 10
  • Confused 2

so... every game released since Atari is pay-to-win?  Interesting...

Oh okay, I get the OP's logic.  You can't win a game if you can't play it in the first place.  Therefore, every game is pay to win.  Duh.

Even Chess is pay to win!!!!!!!!  You have to buy chess before you can win it!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

I mean, yes and no.

Having the possibility to pvp with a level 2 character and without any gear whatsoever is the less p2w thing in any mmo.

Good players can do amazing with any spec any build in ranked, but beginners if don't have the expansions will always be handicapped.

If they jump into willbender, in less than a week they can do better than any other spec just by going around the map and going for kills, so in that sense it's p2w.

The shop doesn't give you any boost that makes you have an advantage over others in pvp, it's all fashion. So as usual gw2 is one of the least p2w mmo ever made.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, myun.6395 said:

If they jump into willbender, in less than a week they can do better than any other spec just by going around the map and going for kills, so in that sense it's p2w.

you're on the right track so lets simplify it more, will core classes be able to be on even ground with the new specs "combat" wise or is it unbalanced atm to were the new elite specs have the advantage? if so thats p2w because to play the game (all pvp content) all thats required is core if you need to spend money on top of that to be on par with people of equal skill thats p2w and poor balance.

///

but yeah lets be honest we all know what it is i mean they gotta sell the xpac to yall somehow right? bigger number chasers, people who need crutches to stand up thats who they are aiming for so it makes sense this has always been the pattern with every xpac the main question really is when are they going to reign it in? they eventually do but how long will it take this time i wonder in a time period where they have never given less a Kitten about the pvp mode...

Edited by Shadow Dragon.1469
missing words
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Shadow Dragon.1469 said:

you're on the right track so lets simplify it more, will core classes be able to be on even ground with the new specs "combat" wise or is it unbalanced atm to were the new elite specs have the advantage? if so thats p2w because to play the game (all pvp content) all thats required is core if you need to spend money on top of that to be on par with people of equal skill thats p2w and poor balance.

I get what you mean but I believe that's not pw2 issue but it's just current balancing. You don't need EoD specs to win a game. Willbender and harbinger being slighty better right now are only 2 of 8 specs that by your logic gives higher odds of winning but you can still easily play any other proffessions and do perfectly fine and win games. It just the matter of one balance patch and they can just fall off so again it's a balance issue. There are always gonna be meta picks that overperforms and it's kinda obvious that at new expac launch the meta will shift towards new specs and center around them for a bit. It happens in every game and every expansion that introduces new class/race/spec.

It's not P2W.

Yeah, I'd have to say this isn't really a P2W issue, it's a balance issue. It may look P2W since most of the core specs are at a severe disadvantage against elite specs that are behind an expansion pay wall, but this isn't the result of some nefarious plan to sell the expansion. This is the result of core classes being nerfed into the ground in their attempt to balance the elite specs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Oh okay, I get the OP's logic.  You can't win a game if you can't play it in the first place.  Therefore, every game is pay to win.  Duh.

Now that makes sense 😛

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shadow Dragon.1469 said:

///

but yeah lets be honest we all know what it is i mean they gotta sell the xpac to yall somehow right? bigger number chasers, people who need crutches to stand up thats who they are aiming for so it makes sense this has always been the pattern with every xpac the main question really is when are they going to reign it in? they eventually do but how long will it take this time i wonder in a time period where they have never given less a Kitten about the pvp mode...

You can call it bad balance, yes..specially because it's impossible to have what essentially are 36 classes (9 core classes + 3 elites for every class) perfectly balanced at all times...and some of those aren't even clearly designed for PVP when some others are, which makes it even more difficult to balance, but calling it P2W is just idiotic.

Edited by StarPT.7431
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

But you CAN play gw2 without buying (core specs). So the comparison is kitten.

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Rider.6024 said:

while they obviously are, imagine if anet released an expansion which is the only "new" content for 5 years in pvp, and then all the specs underpreformed?

Its also by far the cheapest expansion

There is only 2 options? Overperforming or underperformjng? Why not just new specs that are just different and with the same effectiveness? 

17 minutes ago, StarPT.7431 said:

You can call it bad balance, yes..specially because it's impossible to have what essentially are 36 classes (9 core classes + 3 elites for every class) perfectly balanced at all times...and some of those aren't even clearly designed for PVP when some others are, which makes it even more difficult to balance, but calling it P2W is just idiotic.

The op didnt say it is a Pay To Play game, he said Pay to WIN, if u need the new specs to win, yea it is p2w, obviously. 

14 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

You didnt understand the op. 

Your logic is awful. 

And you dont understand game charge concepts. 

• Confused 3

P2W would require all core specs to be worthless. Core Necro and Core Guard aren't.

On 5/20/2022 at 7:00 AM, Shadow Dragon.1469 said:

Edit: i got one "haha" but all "no" answers will be disregarded in my head without an explanation as asked above.

You will also ignore all the "yes" answers, since there aren't 25 comments for those votes, right?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

But you CAN play gw2 without buying (core specs). So the comparison is kitten.

Again, GW2 is a buy-to-play game.  The free demo is not the full game.  You still ahve to buy the game to access the full game.  Just like any other buy to play game like Mass Effect.  You can't play Mass Effect unless you buy it.  

Don't confuse the free-to-play demo with the actual game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anjo.6143 said:

You didnt understand the op. 

Your logic is awful. 

And you dont understand game charge concepts. 

That you have to buy the game to play it is not pay to win.  You have to buy GW2 to fully play GW2.  The free account is just a demo to allow you to make an informed decision about actually purchasing the game.  

"Game charge concepts" is referring to revenue models and pricing strategies, I'm assuming.  Yes I do understand the concept.  GW2 is a buy-to-play model with a secondary transaction system for supplemental revenue.  Any possible pay-to-win injustice would be found in the secondary transaction system.  There is nothing in the gem store that gives you a competitive advantage.  Therefore, there is no pay-to-win.  Expansions are the actual game you must buy to play.

Do you need clarification of what it means to have to pay for a game before playing it?

2 hours ago, anjo.6143 said:

The op didnt say it is a Pay To Play game, he said Pay to WIN, if u need the new specs to win, yea it is p2w, obviously. 

I know OP said P2W, that's why I'm saying calling it P2W is idiotic.

Also, since when you you NEED the new specs to win? You don't. They can overperform due to bad balancing but they are not the only possible way to win neither is bad balancing p2w.

Edited by StarPT.7431
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Again, GW2 is a buy-to-play game.  The free demo is not the full game.  You still ahve to buy the game to access the full game.  Just like any other buy to play game like Mass Effect.  You can't play Mass Effect unless you buy it.  

Don't confuse the free-to-play demo with the actual game.

Ok, I'll buy Heroic edition i.e. the core game. According to you that should be enough since the game is buy to play.

Gw2 is slightly p2w, like 2/10 which is still way less than most pvp games.

(Technically it is like 8/10 if we count buying mAT wins)

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741
  • Confused 1