I hope WvW is not a selling point for this game.

Remount.7832

On 5/21/2022 at 7:31 PM, Remount.7832 said:

Why would any player play WvW if they are at a clear disadvantage? I agree it may be fun but I doubt it's fun losing or not being able to do anything other than follow the zerg. I'm having trouble finding any appeal to this game type for anyone other than geared players.

You're going to have to leave spawn to find out. 

Being scared of losing and blaming that fear on 'geared' players says to me that competitive might not be for you? Or at least this form.  Can always go play PvP, everything unlocked from the start there.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:31 AM, Remount.7832 said:

I may be mistaken but I've been told WvW is dependent on gear. After looking at the gear it seems it will take about 3-6 months of hardcore grinding or about $200-500 to buy most items needed. It's not exactly pay to win but maybe pay to get there faster. All that being said, what is the appeal to a new player or even a vet player who does not want to spend half their game life grinding a legendary gear. WvW seems very dull after watching videos, just watching zerg groups run back and forth and nobody really doing well except for support and casters. I don't see how this is fun or appealing. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm all about grinding. I have several 1%drop rate mounts from other games that have literally taken me years of grinding to get but the difference is those did not have an effect on my gameplay or give me an advantage in pvp.

Why would any player play WvW if they are at a clear disadvantage? I agree it may be fun but I doubt it's fun losing or not being able to do anything other than follow the zerg. I'm having trouble finding any appeal to this game type for anyone other than geared players.

If you have anything to add, agree, or disagree with please let me know in replies  I'm generally curious what others think about this.

I am mediocre at best and i have oneshotted people wearing legendary crap like they are christmas trees. You can do just fine with wearing just exotic items which by themself cost pennies.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2022 at 12:31 AM, Remount.7832 said:

I may be mistaken but I've been told WvW is dependent on gear. After looking at the gear it seems it will take about 3-6 months of hardcore grinding or about $200-500 to buy most items needed. It's not exactly pay to win but maybe pay to get there faster. All that being said, what is the appeal to a new player or even a vet player who does not want to spend half their game life grinding a legendary gear. WvW seems very dull after watching videos, just watching zerg groups run back and forth and nobody really doing well except for support and casters. I don't see how this is fun or appealing. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm all about grinding. I have several 1%drop rate mounts from other games that have literally taken me years of grinding to get but the difference is those did not have an effect on my gameplay or give me an advantage in pvp.

If you have anything to add, agree, or disagree with please let me know in replies  I'm generally curious what others think about this.

Wvw is not a selling point since after launch, they saw no money to be mad ein it so F wvw and its player base concerns

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 1:31 AM, Remount.7832 said:

I may be mistaken but I've been told WvW is dependent on gear. After looking at the gear it seems it will take about 3-6 months of hardcore grinding or about $200-500 to buy most items needed.

More like hitting lvl 80 and selling some of the stuff in you material storage and buying gear on the TP in 1 minute. There are some stat combos for specific specs that are more expensive but in general exotics from TP will get you good enough starting point to be just fine.

From here on your biggest hurdle will be skill. By far. By the time those ~10% increase in stats from ascended/legendary will matter youll have them.

Gear is important, but the hardest parts (armor, backpiece) are also the least relevant parts. Rings are essentially given out for free with laurels, and can be easily earned in a number of ways (mist trinkets, living story + reward tracks). Exotic rings/amulets are so irrelevant that my alt had ascended rings/amulet within a month or so. And that was just a vanilla account from Amazon Prime with expansions so no mount.

So if you have at least PoF and aren't a potato, you should do fine. Most players in WvW die because they stand there like a deer in headlights when an enemy comes. In fact, I often have to remind people in chat to move, but of course that assumes they can read. No amount of stats will save you if you do that. Or if you just wander out alone in a big fight.

Gear matters in the sense of gear choices. If you bring pve stats to WvW, yes, you will probably die. But exotics accomplish the same purpose. They can still take the same runes and sigils, after all.

Legendary armor is of course, not relevant to this discussion as it has the same level of stats as ascended. However, it is literally a participation trophy and can be earned regardless of performance, making it a viable choice for some over pve armor.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

21 minutes ago, unhyper.9531 said:

You don't need leggy anything. You only need tanky aids gear for WvW. Dire is quite sufficient.

i think you have a typo there....   

You don't need leggy anything. You only need tanky aids gear for WvW. Cele is quite busted.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:31 PM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Exotic gear is fine for entry level zerg builds and can be gotten from basically anywhere. Ascended is top level gear stat wise so it is  great for min/maxing your build once you know what you're doing, although this arguably only makes a real difference to roaming builds. It is also easy to get in PvE from fractals or just gold farming, which is nice. I got my legendary gear by playing WvW using tickets, it's nice for people like me who love to experiment with builds but it really isn't essential to play WvW. 

It makes no difference roaming not needed at all no matter what ur doing 

• Sad 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, Svarty.8019 said:

I know it's not easy, but try to find some friends - some people to help show you what WvW is about. Not just any one thing. There are lots of different playstyles, but if you want to play WvW long term, you're looking at learning about supply, siege and defending. Attacking will happen whenever you join a zerg, so you can do that when there's a tag. Most of the time you will be looking for something to do in the period between tags.

There's a lot of strategy in the PPT side of things that certain elements of the community toot their noses at. It's important to ignore those elitists - just because they can 1v1 most enemies, it doesn't mean you have to play the game their way. There is more to WvW than combat.

Things like supply lines and scouting play important roles in guessing where enemies will go next, for example.  Another example would be: knowing that you can attack a structure from somewhere inconspicuous, hoping that the enemy don't spot your devious efforts. Take advantage when they are distracted - farming your noobs...  er... newbros.

It's quite rare that there is nothing you can do. Perhaps you're reduced to capping the merenaries on EB (hylek/dredge/ogres) - I acknowledge that it can often be pretty grim, but it's not usually hopeless.

There's no harm in learning to fight people 1v1, but it's certainly not the be-all-and-end-all of WvW.... and my final piece of advice is that a good build is better than skill. Find a ganking guild and ask them for a low intensity hybrid build. They may very well enjoy that challenge because they spend most of their time talking about skills.

Dueling will help you learn alot faster and there's only elitist  are the ppt people duelers are extremely nice and 9/10 will help you explain and tell you good builds

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1