I asked for Taimi to die 4 years ago.

Aodlop.1907

1 hour ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

My mother has a degenerative dissues for over 45 years now.  She is now in her seventies and it is still likely to be the cause of death one day.

An illness being severe and deadly, doesn't mean it has be deadly very soon.
it might very well be severe cause it causes a lot of pain and dissabilities. It can still be deadly in the long run.

I actually like that arenanet seems to know what they are doing by not just killing someone off cause they are ill or have a dissadvantage.  People with disabilities are still capable of forfilling an important role in society. And yes, some people with dissabilities are very unpleasant to be around.

So in short: complain about Taimi and ask her to be written out. I disagree with those complaints, but all can have their opinion.
But do not demand her being written out just cause she is ill. It is actually very biased and just plain wrong.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I mean, did Kasmeer/Jory ever develop a bond with Caithe? AFAIK they only know Caithe through LWS2, when Caithe was still the enemy (Think LWS2, HoT or LWS3, when the commander was VERY hostile towards Caithe).

The most they would have interacted with Caithe was during S2 (only half of that time was hostility) and during IBS/EoD and the year long timegap between. That said, they would have enough bonding time (on-screen at least) as they did with Logan, who was invited to the proposal.

Guess Marjory still had some of that good ol' sylvari racism from HoT present in her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The most they would have interacted with Caithe was during S2 (only half of that time was hostility) and during IBS/EoD and the year long timegap between. That said, they would have enough bonding time (on-screen at least) as they did with Logan, who was invited to the proposal.

Guess Marjory still had some of that good ol' sylvari racism from HoT present in her.

Canach was there though and Logan hiring her was sort of how she got involved with the group in the first place. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

My mother has a degenerative dissues for over 45 years now.  She is now in her seventies and it is still likely to be the cause of death one day.

An illness being severe and deadly, doesn't mean it has be deadly very soon.
it might very well be severe cause it causes a lot of pain and dissabilities. It can still be deadly in the long run.

I actually like that arenanet seems to know what they are doing by not just killing someone off cause they are ill or have a dissadvantage.  People with disabilities are still capable of forfilling an important role in society. And yes, some people with dissabilities are very unpleasant to be around.

So in short: complain about Taimi and ask her to be written out. I disagree with those complaints, but all can have their opinion.
But do not demand her being written out just cause she is ill. It is actually very biased and just plain wrong.

This this ENTIRELY this.

Returning to gw2 after not having played since my college days, at the very start of HoT. This game once meant quite a lot to me.

Disappointing to see that the community is still so shallow, and frankly juvenile where the narrative and plot elements are concerned. I wonder if it's a trend related to MMO communities in general. Is it just the nature of games like this, as opposed to game that are more traditionally narrative driven? It's outrageously silly. Anet is by no means perfect, but I pity them having to deal with things like this. Honestly, it's silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Nesukia.7561 said:

This this ENTIRELY this.

Returning to gw2 after not having played since my college days, at the very start of HoT. This game once meant quite a lot to me.

Disappointing to see that the community is still so shallow, and frankly juvenile where the narrative and plot elements are concerned. I wonder if it's a trend related to MMO communities in general. Is it just the nature of games like this, as opposed to game that are more traditionally narrative driven? It's outrageously silly. Anet is by no means perfect, but I pity them having to deal with things like this. Honestly, it's silly.

I assure you, it is a vocal minority that's like this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thinking about Taimi's illness getting worse during LW4 now, the purpose may have been more to force Gorrik out of his grief over the loss of Blish rather than Taimi's going to die soon. Blish wanted Taimi to not hold back on letting others know so that when he disappeared for good, Gorrik would have to choose to let grief overcome him or to once again step up and do all he can to save the people he care about. Taimi thought Blish could have helped her stay alive longer, but upon learning of the loss of Blish, Gorrik reveals that he was the one who saved Blish.

Edited by DaFishBob.6518

1 hour ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

Thinking about Taimi's illness getting worse during LW4 now, the purpose may have been more to force Gorrik out of his grief over the loss of Blish rather than Taimi's going to die soon. Blish wanted Taimi to not hold back on letting others know so that when he disappeared for good, Gorrik would have to choose to let grief overcome him or to once again step up and do all he can to save the people he care about. Taimi thought Blish could have helped her stay alive longer, but upon learning of the loss of Blish, Gorrik reveals that he was the one who saved Blish.

Also being honest about the status of her condition to her friends means they can more effectively help her out, instead of wondering about how she's doing and fretting over her.

"I'm having an awful day." "Cool, we'll help when you need it." or "I'm actually having very low pain today, I feel great!" "Let's get some work done then!"

• Confused 1

It been soo many years since they dropped the Taimi is sick bomb. And truthfully I've grown to like the character. 

If they would kill her off now that would not seem plausable. Then they should have already done that sooner. Killing her now would not have the same impact as it did before. Unless she goes out with a booooom. She is such a major character with an huge impact on the story. It would have been an epic ending if somehow they tied the fate of Taimi to Soo Won. Since her life was all about the dragon cycle. They didnt, so i would not kill her right now.. 

Ignoring the sickness doesnt do it either. Which they kind of are and arent doing right now. 

I can see them spend an entire season trying to find a cure as some kind of side quest to the new main story line. Since we now have access to jade technology this would seem plausable. Its a way for a cure Taimi hasnt tried yet. 

Either way. This unfinished plot needs to have an ending.. personally i hope its some kind of cure. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 4:21 PM, Hotride.2187 said:

I bet shes gonna turn into a golem. We will never be rid of her for real.

Actually that is my real guess too.  We have Blish as a template. Gorrik knows how to do it. And now with jade tech the golem will be fancy. 

or perhaps a cyborg. We’ve seen that with jade tech too

9 hours ago, Brycar.2651 said:

Actually that is my real guess too.  We have Blish as a template. Gorrik knows how to do it. And now with jade tech the golem will be fancy. 

or perhaps a cyborg. We’ve seen that with jade tech too

Dunno about Cyborg, but I suppose replacing limbs would depend entirely on if the degenerative disease remains in her legs only or spreads?

One theory I had long ago was joining Caithe as an Prismatic branded.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Either way. This unfinished plot needs to have an ending.. personally i hope its some kind of cure

After reading this, I've updated my opinion of the narrative value of Taimi's death. Previously I simply thought "ANet once set up Taimi for death, now they have to follow through with death to have it pay off ."

Now, it's clear that I missed a very obvious option: they can have the disease setup "pay off" in a way that doesn't involve Taimi being dead at the end of it.

Maybe straight up Blish-izing her would be a cop out, but as you note, there's a lot we might be able to do to help her neutralize the condition that isn't just an overly convenient copy-paste of Blish. There could be an entire side quest where we learn details about the process of golemizing Blish, and that it involves risks and tradeoffs Taimi doesn't want. With the help of jade tech she might be able to engineer a more unique solution.

There's a lot of potential narrative value in that. We could learn more about Inquest biomedical procedures, get more about about Blish, have Gorrik revisit Blish's life/sacrifice and any associated greater closure he might still need, and even work in some lore development about similarities/differences between jade tech and the pre-EoD state of asura magitech. At the end of it all, Taimi doesn't even need to be fully cured- we could discover that the new way to manage the disease involves a resource Taimi needs to refresh periodically. It could be anything as invasive as IRL dialysis, or as benign as simply taking a very special medication regularly.

So yeah- it was shortsighted of me to think that actual death is really the only meaningful way to pay off on that story thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

After reading this, I've updated my opinion of the narrative value of Taimi's death. Previously I simply thought "ANet once set up Taimi for death, now they have to follow through with death to have it pay off ."

Now, it's clear that I missed a very obvious option: they can have the disease setup "pay off" in a way that doesn't involve Taimi being dead at the end of it.

Maybe straight up Blish-izing her would be a cop out, but as you note, there's a lot we might be able to do to help her neutralize the condition that isn't just an overly convenient copy-paste of Blish. There could be an entire side quest where we learn details about the process of golemizing Blish, and that it involves risks and tradeoffs Taimi doesn't want. With the help of jade tech she might be able to engineer a more unique solution.

There's a lot of potential narrative value in that. We could learn more about Inquest biomedical procedures, get more about about Blish, have Gorrik revisit Blish's life/sacrifice and any associated greater closure he might still need, and even work in some lore development about similarities/differences between jade tech and the pre-EoD state of asura magitech. At the end of it all, Taimi doesn't even need to be fully cured- we could discover that the new way to manage the disease involves a resource Taimi needs to refresh periodically. It could be anything as invasive as IRL dialysis, or as benign as simply taking a very special medication regularly.

So yeah- it was shortsighted of me to think that actual death is really the only meaningful way to pay off on that story thread.

And you could continue to use the established Xunlai medical department (named as creators of the suits/legs/boots whatever Taimi is wearing, the device that helped stabilize the commander from his/her major injuries post crash, and even helped Aurene out) to showcase how this level of tech can truly change up how the wounded are helped. Instead of the Asura hogging the tech and Inquest clearly working on making diseases/bio-weapons, we see Xunlai (maybe with help of some of the good Asura) making tech to help  heal or restore those.

The jade limbs we've seen on a few npcs is just the start.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Seriously, why do you people want to kill off characters that you KNOW other people do like?  It comes off as being intentionally malicious.

"If I don't enjoy it, nobody else is allowed to enjoy it."

It's partly amusing, partly sad at how crazy people will get over a character they dislike. It's actually cased me to step back and start reconsidering my own reactions toward characters/arcs and going "Wait, is this level of reaction reasonable?"

Sure I may not like X, but it's not worth almost attacking others over it. It's better to be able to constructive talk over it.

And hell, quietly retiring a character is so much better because later on, one can bring them back and it's a "Oh hey, X is back" instead of "Who is this new person?"

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

It's partly amusing, partly sad at how crazy people will get over a character they dislike. It's actually cased me to step back and start reconsidering my own reactions toward characters/arcs and going "Wait, is this level of reaction reasonable?"

Sure I may not like X, but it's not worth almost attacking others over it. It's better to be able to constructive talk over it.

And hell, quietly retiring a character is so much better because later on, one can bring them back and it's a "Oh hey, X is back" instead of "Who is this new person?"

Yes, there are far more ways to retire a person from Main Character status than just kill them off. 

Rox, as a example, did retire from her status as a Main Character slowly and now works more as a side character that appears once in a while as a diplomat for the Olmakhan.

Still most of Dragon's Watch have already been set up to retire from Main character status at the end of End of Dragons already and their plans for retiring from Main character status already explained as well.

Taimi's case is that she plans to stay in Cantha to work with Joon solving the power crisis in Cantha and trying to find a more permanent way to cure her condition with the Jade tech which she has manage to extend her life already using the Jade tech from Cantha and give herself the ability to walk and run normally now.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, Kalavier.1097 said:

The problem with Taimi staying alive though is that she's always in your backpack and she will suddenly talk to you at night via the communicator, wherever you are, to tell you how she solved an actual interesting cliff hanger via technobabble in the most unimpressive way.

I'd kinda feel sorry for the voice actress who has done a great job (but given she was reused for like half the Canthan female population, she won't be gone anyway).

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2022 at 7:41 PM, Aodlop.1907 said:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/32698-taimi-should-probably-die/

And she since has contracted a severe illness, which we were told would be fatal. I'm grateful, but that's not enough.

When you introduce a plot point, that plot point NEEDS to pay off eventually, or else it just leads to frustration for the playerbase, like it did with Malyck for example.

Taimi has been sick for way too long by now.

So yeah, it's time. Kill Taimi please, preferably in the next LW episode. 

Although I agree with the sentiment that they made their bed and now they oughta lay in it. Let's note that Taimis partner kept Blish from death by putting him in a golem.  

So the most likely thing will be Taimi slowly turning into a bot, perhaps first cyborg then fully bot. 

On 5/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

We have known of her illness since the character got introduced in 2015. Your claim is nonsense, sorry. She was already in bad physical shape back then, limping, sitting in her golem to travel around. She didn't "contract" anything later on, it's a birth defect.

Also, there are many ways to dispose of a character. Having every character you don't like killed off is pretty uninspired.

In A Star To Guide Us she tells us it's getting worse, in End of Dragons she gets some kind of suit that makes her feel great. But as far as I remember the jade tech may not keep existing into the future. If it will, then that's the cop-out. 

1 hour ago, Dib.4612 said:

Although I agree with the sentiment that they made their bed and now they oughta lay in it. Let's note that Taimis partner kept Blish from death by putting him in a golem.  

So the most likely thing will be Taimi slowly turning into a bot, perhaps first cyborg then fully bot. 

Until LW4, I thought she would have been put into a golem (a Scruffy 3.0), together with Blish (we know his memory has been saved by Gorrik). But now that I read your comment (to a necro post btw, but who cares) ... kitten, we have a new option now: a Taimi Jade bot! I'm horrified at the thought. She wouldn't be able to speak, only to blink.

I see this thread got necroed again.

For those who are new, Taimi basically has Muscular Dystophy, I recommend learning about it!

https://www.webmd.com/children/what-is-muscular-dystrophy

The TL;DR is, Taimi's likely not close to death yet, being only in the middle stages of the illness. But there will come a point where she'll need to be taken care of 24/7, and will effectively be permanently retired. People in real life can still live many years beyond that point, however.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

46 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I see this thread got necroed again.

For those who are new, Taimi basically has Muscular Dystophy, I recommend learning about it!

https://www.webmd.com/children/what-is-muscular-dystrophy

The TL;DR is, Taimi's likely not close to death yet, being only in the middle stages of the illness. But there will come a point where she'll need to be taken care of 24/7, and will effectively be permanently retired. People in real life can still live many years beyond that point, however.

I've heard ALS as a real world comparison (what Steven Hawking had, and he made it to his mid-seventies) but either way the writers technically have carte blanche to make Taimi last as long as the narrative of GW2.

6 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

Until LW4, I thought she would have been put into a golem (a Scruffy 3.0), together with Blish (we know his memory has been saved by Gorrik). But now that I read your comment (to a necro post btw, but who cares) ... kitten, we have a new option now: a Taimi Jade bot! I'm horrified at the thought. She wouldn't be able to speak, only to blink.

That last sentence gave me a real Captain Pike vibe!  🙂