rare drop farmers

I recently completed the Treasure Hunter achievement. I realize the home node is not that amazing but it was a fun goal to work towards. I spent several months, tagging up and completing the event series required to spawn the rare drop bosses. Some of these events were pretty fun and, while I no longer need the items, I would not mind continue doing them from time-to-time.

But I won't. I won't because almost every time I got to the final boss, half a dozen farmer accounts would appear, to 1-1-1 the boss for a chance at the valuable drop item. The real world is filled with people unfairly benefiting from other people's effort. I don't need that in my gaming.

ANET could address this by requiring players to participate in several of the events that lead to the final boss event in order to qualify for a chance at the rare drop items. Alternatively, they could increase the odds of getting the rare drop for players based on how many of the pre-boss events they participated in. Of course, they won't do anything.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, raykor.6723 said:

I recently completed the Treasure Hunter achievement. I realize the home node is not that amazing but it was a fun goal to work towards. I spent several months, tagging up and completing the event series required to spawn the rare drop bosses. Some of these events were pretty fun and, while I no longer need the items, I would not mind continue doing them from time-to-time.

But I won't. I won't because almost every time I got to the final boss, half a dozen farmer accounts would appear, to 1-1-1 the boss for a chance at the valuable drop item. The real world is filled with people unfairly benefiting from other people's effort. I don't need that in my gaming.

ANET could address this by requiring players to participate in several of the events that lead to the final boss event in order to qualify for a chance at the rare drop items. Alternatively, they could increase the odds of getting the rare drop for players based on how many of the pre-boss events they participated in. Of course, they won't do anything.

The second part, a higher chance the more pre events you did, would be really nice. The first idea of 0 chance from doing just the final event would probably end up with most people not bothering, like what if I missed the first event of the chain? No point bothering helping at all then. Either way as you say it will almost certainly not get changed. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I think a better solution in this case is to just make sure the boss in question survives long enough for those who participated in summoning it to get there in time to hit it and receive their rightful credit.

This could be done by:
- providing a portal at pre-events that takes you directly to the boss arena
- increasing the overall HP of the boss
- requiring a buff given to you during some other part of the event chain in order to be able to do damage to the final boss
or
- letting the boss give a short speech during which they are invulnerable to damage

So long as the people playing as intended are able to get their reward, I don't really care about those who only show up at the end.

While wanting to add participation tracking is a tempting fix, it doesn't actually work very well in practice. HoT and EoD employ this sort of  'stay active or lose your credit' mechanic, but we're seeing people report its shortcomings often enough that it's looking less and less like a good way to solve the problem and more like a headache that negatively impacts active players.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ssssh we do not speak of these events 👀  specials is a good way to get a small chance for some extra gold when you’re busy doing other stuff. So many ppl choose to just wait for the boss to be ready. I doubt anet sees it as an issue or they would have done something about it by now. More chance for the rare drop if you do pre events I’m all for though. But not the 0 loot for the leeches. It should stay the same. It is open world afterall. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I think a better solution in this case is to just make sure the boss in question survives long enough for those who participated in summoning it to get there in time to hit it and receive their rightful credit.

This could be done by:
- providing a portal at pre-events that takes you directly to the boss arena
- increasing the overall HP of the boss
- requiring a buff given to you during some other part of the event chain in order to be able to do damage to the final boss
or
- letting the boss give a short speech during which they are invulnerable to damage

So long as the people playing as intended are able to get their reward, I don't really care about those who only show up at the end.

While wanting to add participation tracking is a tempting fix, it doesn't actually work very well in practice. HoT and EoD employ this sort of  'stay active or lose your credit' mechanic, but we're seeing people report its shortcomings often enough that it's looking less and less like a good way to solve the problem and more like a headache that negatively impacts active players.

The speech idea and the extra HP sound fine, but adding a portal from the end of the pres is less ideal for those with slow loading PCs etc. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Emberfoot.6847 said:

The speech idea and the extra HP sound fine, but adding a portal from the end of the pres is less ideal for those with slow loading PCs etc. 

It is less ideal, though it's employed already in-game which is why I mention it. Triple Trouble spawns portals at each decap location after a success which bring you to the main chest. The Shadow Behemoth also spawns portals at each pre-event area to ensure that the people who get the event rolling also get to hit the boss and collect their loot instead of having to run back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

It is less ideal, though it's employed already in-game which is why I mention it. Triple Trouble spawns portals at each decap location after a success which bring you to the main chest. The Shadow Behemoth also spawns portals at each pre-event area to ensure that the people who get the event rolling also get to hit the boss and collect their loot instead of having to run back.

Yea, I use the portals after TT as there is no big rush, but if my PC or net are running slow it is actually faster for me to get from the pres to the SB by mount than portal due to the load screen. 

Edited by Emberfoot.6847
  • Sad 1

• 8 months later...

I'm sure it is not a surprise to anyone to realize that the end-of-event-chain leechers are still a problem.  Recently, 2 of us were doing the pre-events for ogre watch and as we started working to demolish the ogre houses and pet huts a few more showed. "No problem" I thought, they were just a bit late to the party, it happens.  We finished with the houses and pets and Straveg and his buddy then went to the corral where the boss would soon spawn.  There we 10 folks, most mounted, sitting around the corral.  A few seconds later the 24+ ogres appeared and those of us that finished Straveg took them out.  As the last of the ogres died the leechers moved to fill the tunnel where the boss appears and commenced to burn her down.  I believe all of the active folks got a few hits on her, but would not guarantee it.  I also would like to see participation in the pre-events buff the chance of a higher tier of loot.  That buff could expire when the timer on the final event ran out, or the boss was killed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Rothgare Ablewise.9046 said:

I'm sure it is not a surprise to anyone to realize that the end-of-event-chain leechers are still a problem.  Recently, 2 of us were doing the pre-events for ogre watch and as we started working to demolish the ogre houses and pet huts a few more showed. "No problem" I thought, they were just a bit late to the party, it happens.  We finished with the houses and pets and Straveg and his buddy then went to the corral where the boss would soon spawn.  There we 10 folks, most mounted, sitting around the corral.  A few seconds later the 24+ ogres appeared and those of us that finished Straveg took them out.  As the last of the ogres died the leechers moved to fill the tunnel where the boss appears and commenced to burn her down.  I believe all of the active folks got a few hits on her, but would not guarantee it.  I also would like to see participation in the pre-events buff the chance of a higher tier of loot.  That buff could expire when the timer on the final event ran out, or the boss was killed.

did you get your loot?

yes? then whats the problem

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 6/21/2022 at 12:39 PM, Emberfoot.6847 said:

The second part, a higher chance the more pre events you did, would be really nice. The first idea of 0 chance from doing just the final event would probably end up with most people not bothering, like what if I missed the first event of the chain? No point bothering helping at all then. Either way as you say it will almost certainly not get changed. 

I agree with both parts of this. There's some achievements for completing every event in a chain and whenever I've tried to get those achievements it always seems to be the first event in the chain I have the most trouble with. The later ones are relatively easy because once you've done one event unless you rush off straight away you'll see the next one starting up and can join in, but catching the first one in a chain is either a matter of luck or knowing in advance where it will start and waiting for it to happen.

Based on that I think it's likely a lot of people will miss the start of the event chains or meta-events which drop these rare items and if they're going to get nothing from the subsequent events they're unlikely to bother sticking around. Which would be a problem because a lot of chains start off very easy (often easy enough to solo) and end up with events that need big groups to complete them. So if you were stuck doing it with only the people who started it's likely a lot would end in failure and no one getting any loot.

On the other hand something like the participation counters some meta-events use (I know the HoT ones all do) could work well. So you can join late and still get rewarded for the events you participate in, but you'll get more loot and a better chance at the rarest items if you do all the preceeding events.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:09 PM, squeegee.4320 said:

How do they even know the events are up if they're not timed?

I don't know how other people do it but there's a few people in my guilds who routinely farm certain events for rare drops and they'll call it out in guild chat when the boss is about to spawn so anyone else who wants it can join in.

• Like 2

I would like to share my part in this topic because I feel what the author of this topic would like to tell.

Now to answer for Where do they know when the boss event is up there's a nice tool :

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

It can be integrated in the bot scripts so they know where to head and when but usually the main protagonist of the Bot armies are online on his main account or remotely.

Now about the topic, if developers have to change the RNG and the drop mechanics they should touch the core of the game which everybody knows they just hate to do.Prefer to build from scratches than to touch the source xD

Right now it's sheer luck if you get a thing or not and I tell in personal example why the author is right about and how the drops are not relevant just to luck.

I do the train and boss events on basis when I have the time to play.From Tequatl to Dragonstorm,everything.

As warrior main I do with zerker dps or shoutsworn for heal /dps.

I am not top tier not even with full ascended because I do not follow the meta I use it as orientation.

There were rumors back in time that when you get a loot your DPS counts,some times were that your heal counts also,sometimes just your participation counts...Now as I see the amount of bots lately I am sure that participation and some activity qualifies anybody for loot.

Btw few months ago  I did the dragonstorm event,shoutsworn,healing dps all,every dragonslash 100k dmg and managed to hit the dragons sometimes even 3 times...Loot? Barely anything,like the usual

The same week I did dragonstorm,it happened that I had to be afk a little bit around phase 2 when I reached back it was near the last phase of the event,so count it no damage no heal just what I did in the first phase.Loot?... https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frostsaw

Now this got me like a Spartan shield in face...and I was wondering now really...?

I am sure I am not alone with such experiences and seeing the increasing numbers in botting there's a good reason why they keep increasing.Now Ascended items you cannot really trade but there are plenty of other good items which you can and then share in guild and boost your main giving some financial advantages.

But as far as the devs are not concerned about this we beat a dead horse,what we can do is to keep annoying the bots by dragging unwanted npcs to them,teleporting them etc.

P.S. I keep reporting every one of them but until there's no serious measures taken against them there will be no change.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Just be aware that actions like this are against the game's CoC and could get you banned.

Actually, actions using a turtle wouldn't be.  If I walk up to someone on a turtle, and they hit F and join on my turtle, they're the ones jumping on my turtle. I didn't do anything, they did. They could, in fact, get off my turtle at any time.

If then, I went to another place and dropped them, in an area where nothing spawns and there's nothing to gather say, I'm just putting my turtle away.  If they didn't want to come with me, they shouldn't have gotten on in the first place. Shrugs.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Actually, actions using a turtle wouldn't be.  If I walk up to someone on a turtle, and they hit F and join on my turtle, they're the ones jumping on my turtle. I didn't do anything, they did. They could, in fact, get off my turtle at any time.

If then, I went to another place and dropped them, in an area where nothing spawns and there's nothing to gather say, I'm just putting my turtle away.  If they didn't want to come with me, they shouldn't have gotten on in the first place. Shrugs.

Yes, but they would first have to voluntarily jump on the turtle. 

I was speaking more to the points that the other poster made: dragging unwanted NPCs, teleporting.   Those could be considered griefing and thus be actionable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Yes, but they would first have to voluntarily jump on the turtle. 

I was speaking more to the points that the other poster made: dragging unwanted NPCs, teleporting.   Those could be considered griefing and thus be actionable.

You can't port people if they don't interact either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, Caliboom.3218 said:

I also see cases of people not helping when an event is starting, but the moment it has one minute left or it's close to ending, a small group comes in to tag the boss or the enemies and get the rewards.

Actually, a lot of events for Treasure hunter are not on an easily known timer. Some aren't even visible from far away until some marked bosses spawn. For example, the Ogre Wars event is something i never intentionally aim for when coming to Fields of Ruin, but if i happen to be on that map, and see the event chain is up, i will generally join. Regardless of which stage the chain is on (because, you know, i can't be guaranteed to happen to see it at the exact moment it's about to start).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

You can't port people if they don't interact either.

Pressing interact key is not the same as willingly interacting specifically with the turtle/portal. If you know they did not want to interact with your turtle/portal (and honestly, anyone pulling that trick does know it), it is plain griefing.

There's no functional difference in this behaviour and putting a tp-to-death under AB meta grand chest.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

21 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Pressing interact key is not the same as willingly interacting specifically with the turtle/portal. If you know they did not want to interact with your turtle/portal (and honestly, anyone pulling that trick does know it), it is plain griefing.

There's no functional difference in this behaviour and putting a tp-to-death under AB meta grand chest.

But how does one ascribe “willingly” to a script?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But how does one ascribe “willingly” to a script?

Did the owner of the character intend to mount the Turtle or go into portal when pressing "f"? If they did, it's willing interaction. If they did not intend it, it's not willing. Simple as that. Using a script being in itself illegal is a completely separate matter.

In short, in order to prevent actionable behaviour, we should never lower ourselves to behaviour that is also actionable. Griefing is griefing, even if it's being done "for the greater good".

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Did the owner of the character intend to mount the Turtle or go into portal when pressing "f"? If they did, it's willing interaction. If they did not intend it, it's not willing. Simple as that. Using a script being in itself illegal is a completely separate matter.

But in using the script, the owner intended for the character to interact whenever there is something interactable, so…

• Like 2
  • Confused 2