Changes to Repairs/Anvils & Opportunity!

I'm a big fan of changing the anvils in-game to a different mechanic away from repairing damaged gear. The fact is, after the fee was removed, there... Really was no point to having the system aside from time-consumption.

Anet making the anvils sort of like the Jade Offensive/Defensive buffs, without needing to run around for batteries, is really neat!

Perhaps a system where you could choose, upon clicking an anvil, whether you want a stat buff to offensive or defensive stats, akin to like 'sharpening your weapons' 'patching your armor'. As well, something like the gathering tools, where the higher level you are, you get a stat boost that roughly follows suit, or maybe based on a fee that goes up depending on what stat boost you want.

I could very likely be over-thinking, but I do hope ArenaNet does more with that sort of thing! One of the charming things -about- GW2 is the small things. Potions you can pick up, items like rusted swords/planks you can use to fight with in a pinch, etc.

• Like 1

Has there been any info on what exactly this new buff will do? It sounds good but, even though it will be available to everyone, I assume they're not going to make it good enough that not taking it will be a serious deteriment. I hope they hit a balance where it's nice to have but not worth, for example, holding up a Fractal run for everyone to exit, pick up the buff and re-enter.

8 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I wonder is the Endless Repair Canister works with the new Buff.

If it does.... this thing could be jump in price a bit

It already is. Sell listing have gone from just under 500g to almost 3,000g (although that's likely only older ones being sold) and buy listings have gone from 350g to over 1,000g.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Has there been any info on what exactly this new buff will do? It sounds good but, even though it will be available to everyone, I assume they're not going to make it good enough that not taking it will be a serious deteriment. I hope they hit a balance where it's nice to have but not worth, for example, holding up a Fractal run for everyone to exit, pick up the buff and re-enter.

Thats what I would hope as well. I'm hoping anvils are basically that balanced idea of correcting the flaws of the Jade Offensive/Defensive buffs: needing to get batteries all the time, and seeming like a must-have for the maps and not a boon/boost to go on.

10 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

...The fact is, after the fee was removed, there... Really was no point to having the system aside from time-consumption...

Imo the new system seems kinda pointless too.

I just don’t get it. What does the new mechanic add beyond simply giving stats for stats sake? And if the buff is going to last so long (12 hours!), why even make us go get it in the first place? A person is likely only going to have to do this interaction once per gaming session, so why even have the middleman?

I suppose I feel a little hesitant on just handing out stats, but if they really want to make this a thing, why not just attach this to armor (like how armor already has the Defense stat), where the benefit scales based on armor level and rarity?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I'd rather they just remove Anvils from the game, tbh. The problem with buffs is: 1) it becomes another thing you have to balance around 2) if you balance content with the expectation people are using it, it now becomes an obligation and 3) players who take the game mode seriously will feel obligated to get it for the extra power bump even if the power level is not balanced to require it.

And it just becomes a tedious uptime thing to track. Unfortunately, it could be +1 to a stat or +1000, the quantity doesn't change how people will act about it when min-maxing matters.

Alternatively, give it some completely other purpose, like it gets a different Icon and Name, and becomes something that brings up the Wardrobe Storage interface or something (independent from Bank).

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Shadowwaka.1952 said:

Imo the new system seems kinda pointless too.

I just don’t get it. What does the new mechanic add beyond simply giving stats for stats sake? And if the buff is going to last so long (12 hours!), why even make us go get it in the first place? A person is likely only going to have to do this interaction once per gaming session, so why even have the middleman?

I suppose I feel a little hesitant on just handing out stats, but if they really want to make this a thing, why not just attach this to armor (like how armor already has the Defense stat), where the benefit scales based on armor level and rarity?

I can definitely see this too. At the very least, it can be just another neat small thing like I mentioned earlier, like random debris or shovels/pickaxes/rusty weapons you can pick up in different maps. Arguably worse than your profession's actual weapon slots? Of course, but its still neat to have.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I'd rather they just remove Anvils from the game, tbh. The problem with buffs is: 1) it becomes another thing you have to balance around 2) if you balance content with the expectation people are using it, it now becomes an obligation and 3) players who take the game mode seriously will feel obligated to get it for the extra power bump even if the power level is not balanced to require it.

And it just becomes a tedious uptime thing to track. Unfortunately, it could be +1 to a stat or +1000, the quantity doesn't change how people will act about it when min-maxing matters.

Alternatively, give it some completely other purpose, like it gets a different Icon and Name, and becomes something that brings up the Wardrobe Storage interface or something (independent from Bank).

I don't think I'd be for getting rid of it entirely. One of my fears is GW2 getting rid of all the fun, quirky if not 'min-max' relevant stuff in-game. RPG's wouldn't be the same if they were highly tuned, narrow experiences like some competitive games are.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rysdude.3824 said:

Hope they let us trade our endless canisters in for something!

The endless canister will auto-refresh the new buff (according to a def post on reddit), so as it still can be used, it's unlikely that they will add a trade in option.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Why?

Also, do we need yet more power creep?

It's not really a power creep. There's a reason why this will only be a (small) defensive buff. Which, btw, in high end content will be completely irrelevant when faced with all the percentage-based damage attacks those modes are so fond of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

The endless canister will auto-refresh the new buff (according to a def post on reddit), so as it still can be used, it's unlikely that they will add a trade in option.

Which is probably why they figured out a reason to keep repair in the world. Can’t have all those endless canister customers demanding a refund.

32 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

Oh god, I should have known. So they're going to make it tedious and keep it monetized LOL. This is like the vader thing. "I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I'm on the fence with this change. While it's good they're removing the repair mechanic  since it was kind of useless, I'm not a fan of granting yet another free stat buff (yup, this is a "ree, powercreep bad!" comment 😅). I get that they pretty much needed to make it do something because of the endless repair canisters, but just another stat stack? Meh.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

I hate this change. Getting rid of repairs is whatever, my issue is with the addition of buffs. They have been adding so many buffs lately it's ridiculous. Jade Protocols, Jade Bot Cores and now Anvil boosts. I really hate it. The most annoying thing about it is that I assume it will work for instanced content as well which is a joke tbh.

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not really a power creep. There's a reason why this will only be a (small) defensive buff. Which, btw, in high end content will be completely irrelevant when faced with all the percentage-based damage attacks those modes are so fond of.

It may not be much power creep, I suppose that remains to be seen until we have the numbers, but a numerical increase to performance of this sort is, by definition, power creep. 

I dont care for this sort of thing but am willing to wait and see how it plays out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Oh god, I should have known. So they're going to make it tedious and keep it monetized LOL. This is like the vader thing. "I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further."

I am not sure that refreshing a 12 hour buff (once or twice per week for me) really meets the criteria for, "tedious," for me, but YMMV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I am not sure that refreshing a 12 hour buff (once or twice per week for me) really meets the criteria for, "tedious," for me, but YMMV.

Alts, being out of the way, being long enough to forget and short enough to lose track of it and let it drop, being desirable but not essential to the point of it barely being worth the effort to go out of the way but also desirable if you want to min-max. There are many reasons I see it as tedious. But yes, YMMV. It's just a combined take from my designer hat and player hat, I'm not saying it's objectively tedious, especially considering it's not even a thing yet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4