Can I know why Mechanist was made to be a better pet class than Ranger?

Swing.6439

Seriously. Mechanist gets a strong, responsive, actual powerful pet ally, and Untamed pretty much gave all of our pets a lobotomy. Why? Why did you do this? What was you reasoning if you were going to just give Mechanist the ability to press 1 and do top dps anyway? It doesn't even need the kitten golem! You could have just made it...i don't know... a cantrip...
What were your plans for Untamed? What did you want it to be? Because right now it's nothing. Meanwhile, mechanist gets the best of both worlds- A good pet, along with powerful weapon skills, or 100% support, all by pressing 1.
What the hell?

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Considering untamed gave the player total control saying it got a lobotomy isn't speaking well of the rangers complaining about it.

Just thought i'd point that out.

Additionally, calling the Mech Responsive is questionable. There's also some pretty bad faith arguing about Mechanist being top dps, it's not. It also doesn't do top DPS just by pressing 1 button.  It certainly doesn't provide all the boons and do the best support either. It is a strong support but so long as Firebrand still exists it by default cannot be the best as it lacks the same level of verstality and group support. Yet again, none of these classes do so by pressing 1.

Perhaps play them ? Heck venture out and try other classes before making so painfully bad faith arguments.

Edited by TexZero.7910
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

I wouldnt say mechs AI is more responsive lol, that thing never listens , ask a lot of mech mains. Its janky you press a button it may listen or it may go off somewhere and stare into space. I agree pet AI sucks and rangers do need some love, but mechs AI is pretty bad also

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Cuz the designer prefers playing Engi.

Same reason they get a Rifle and Pistols 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than Thief's.

The pistol engineer kinda crap though. Oh wait, i shouldnt say that or they buff another.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

Considering untamed gave the player total control saying it got a lobotomy isn't speaking well of the rangers complaining about it.

Additionally, calling the Mech Responsive is questionable. There's also some pretty bad faith arguing about Mechanist being top dps, it's not. It also doesn't do top DPS just by pressing 1 button.  It certainly doesn't provide all the boons and do the best support either. It is a strong support but so long as Firebrand still exists it by default cannot be the best as it lacks the same level of verstality and group support. Yet again, none of these classes do so by pressing 1.

Perhaps play them ? Heck venture out and try other classes before making so painfully bad faith arguments.

Sorry, I forgot you have to press f2 (I KNOW, OH MY GOSH SO DIFFICULT), terms of boons. But my point still stands.
Also the lobotomy referred to the bug where an untamed's pet will literally not respond on swap or unleash. This bug has yet to be fixed, but don't worry, it isn't mechanist so we don't have to worry about them using resources on fixing this bug any time soon.

Edited by Swing.6439
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Swing.6439 said:

Sorry, I forgot you have to press f2 (I KNOW, OH MY GOSH SO DIFFICULT), terms of boons. But my point still stands.
Also the lobotomy referred to the bug where an untamed's pet will literally not respond on swap or unleash. This bug has yet to be fixed, but don't worry, it isn't mechanist so we don't have to worry about them using resources on fixing this bug any time soon.

You do realize mech was able to do this prior to this update right ?

I know it's crazy but ya'll were too busy foaming at the mouth at virtuoso's DPS to see that Mech gained less than 1% DPS with the rifle change.

Edit: Additionally Mech's still not even the TOP dps.

Edited by TexZero.7910
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Swing.6439 said:

Seriously. Mechanist gets a strong, responsive, actual powerful pet ally, and Untamed pretty much gave all of our pets a lobotomy. Why? Why did you do this? What was you reasoning if you were going to just give Mechanist the ability to press 1 and do top dps anyway? It doesn't even need the kitten golem! You could have just made it...i don't know... a cantrip...
What were your plans for Untamed? What did you want it to be? Because right now it's nothing. Meanwhile, mechanist gets the best of both worlds- A good pet, along with powerful weapon skills, or 100% support, all by pressing 1.
What the hell?

Because its new, they want it to be the poster boi for EoD, look shiny green mech... buy moar copies, so it does Goku like damage.. Plus the devs simp over it..

2 hours ago, Swing.6439 said:

Raids and Metas can't complain anymore when casuals press 111111111

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Idk, but this discussion is making me miss SWG Creature Handler. You could have huge grauls running around as your pets lol. This game, it's just juvenile version of whatever the creature is. Kinda meh. Maybe that's why they end up underwhelming, cause they made em juveniles and unconsciously think they should be pretty weak because of that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TexZero.7910 said:

You do realize mech was able to do this prior to this update right ?

I know it's crazy but ya'll were too busy foaming at the mouth at virtuoso's DPS to see that Mech gained less than 1% DPS with the rifle change.

Edit: Additionally Mech's still not even the TOP dps.

For real, as someone who enjoys AA (auto-attack) and LI (low intensity) builds (thanks wrist tendinitis)…

No one complained before about Axe Mirage doing almost 29k DPS on the bench just auto-attacking (0 shatters, spawns 3 clones once).

AA-only Rifle Mech benches below some of the other AA/LI builds. Plus it’s hella loud and needs to be a certain range from the edge of the hitbox, while Mace AA can do more damage and give self-barrier.

I haven’t tested it yet after the patch, but an AA Staff Daredevil on a pure signet build just doing 1 and spamming 2 after gaining initiative did ~28k DPS before, IIRC.

There was also a Power Rev build that AA’d while upkeeping Jalis Hammers and Shiro Impossible Odds, and a Holo build that placed Turrets and Auto-attacked. These are just the ones I remember, there are plenty of others.

People were way too busy trying to learn complex top DPS rotations, only now do they see how much DPS optimized AA and LI builds can do.

PS.

Some people in Open World sometimes ask people to just auto-attack the Treasure Mushroom…forgetting that AA on pure DPS builds can still hit hard if optimized for it. 🙈😆

Edited by Chrysline.2317
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Swing.6439 said:

What the hell?

It's because the lead of the balance team plays engi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think mec has that amazing of a IA at least compared to pets, the main diference i see is the way they were made, pets are a core ranger mecanic and have been in game since launch, the pets good traits are spread in diferent traitlines and those traitlines are a bit irrelevant (well nature magic isnt but its a suport line so getting more dmg on your pet kinda gets irrelevant anyway), pets without those traits have very underwelming stats and no boons on them, while mech was made so with a skill it gets your boons and it allwais takes a % of the engi stats for itself, that makes a huge diference, mec survives better, hits harder, faster, and is stronger overall, even if its just one and pets can be 2 (pets are weak and die too easily).

Also mech skills all have a purpose and good utility, be it the power canons, condi blades, or suport fists all 3 are usefull in their own way, the same can be said about the other 2 skills, while pets.... just take turtle as example, it hits from range but its incredibly slowand some times it works strange, also the auto has very low dmg for being a slow canon, then turtle has 3 skills, one bite that doesnt realy have much use because its melee, a cc thats also melee and a protection and projectile block wich duration is like 4 seconds? toooo low.

Ranger needs a pet overhaul if untamed is to become a good elite.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

Take ANY other class.  ANY.  Trait it out and gear it out with every way you can find to have it provide might, quickness and alacrity, then set your skill one to auto attack and tell me a)what dps you pull and b) what your uptime on those boons are.  As a bonus, you can occasionally hit up to 4 (but only 4) other skills on your skill bar.  Tell me which class you successfully had 100% uptime of those boons while mostly hitting your auto attack skill and its total dps.  I promise you, no other class is out shining Mechanist right now by doing that.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Idk, but this discussion is making me miss SWG Creature Handler. You could have huge grauls running around as your pets lol. This game, it's just juvenile version of whatever the creature is. Kinda meh. Maybe that's why they end up underwhelming, cause they made em juveniles and unconsciously think they should be pretty weak because of that.

4 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

It's because the lead of the balance team plays engi. 

Why the freak then the turret havent got rework before end of dragons?

2 hours ago, PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

Take ANY other class.  ANY.  Trait it out and gear it out with every way you can find to have it provide might, quickness and alacrity, then set your skill one to auto attack and tell me a)what dps you pull and b) what your uptime on those boons are.  As a bonus, you can occasionally hit up to 4 (but only 4) other skills on your skill bar.  Tell me which class you successfully had 100% uptime of those boons while mostly hitting your auto attack skill and its total dps.  I promise you, no other class is out shining Mechanist right now by doing that.

You're right no other class is pumping out those boons and doing that. Several other classes like Catalyst, Virtuoso, and Vindicator are putting out more damage with less access to boons.

But if you want to get really up in arms over it Harbinger can put out more boons and has a higher dps than Mech does and ever will.

• Like 1

Basically the short version of why mech is better than ranger pets, is because mech traits and stats are all condensed into one traitline. Whereas pet traits are all over the place, so they feel incoherent. Like for example the trait that gives pets more stats is in Beast Mastery, whereas the trait that gives pets your boons is in Nature Magic.

Edited by Aravind.9610
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TexZero.7910 said:

You're right no other class is pumping out those boons and doing that. Several other classes like Catalyst, Virtuoso, and Vindicator are putting out more damage with less access to boons.

But if you want to get really up in arms over it Harbinger can put out more boons and has a higher dps than Mech does and ever will.

I will maybe give you Virt and Harb IF they are doing that with their auto attack.  If you are relying on a chain of skill is set up those numbers (including having to jump into shroud) then the point is still moot.  There is literally no shortage of videos out there right now showing how much of a meme this mech auto attack stuff is right now, as well as vids showing people literally going afk and pulling 26k with the auto attack and a turret/mech without even using the more broken aspect of the new GM trait.  Tell me how this is good for engie or the game on the whole?  

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

I will maybe give you Virt and Harb IF they are doing that with their auto attack.  If you are relying on a chain of skill is set up those numbers (including having to jump into shroud) then the point is still moot.  There is literally no shortage of videos out there right now showing how much of a meme this mech auto attack stuff is right now, as well as vids showing people literally going afk and pulling 26k with the auto attack and a turret/mech without even using the more broken aspect of the new GM trait.  Tell me how this is good for engie or the game on the whole?  

You want me to argue that people bandwagonning on an intentionally weaker build is good for the game ?

And you think i'm the crazy one.

I've not said the skill floor for this isn't low, i've been pretty dang firm that ya'll are making some grossly hyperbolic statements. Almost every class save Ele has a low intensity build that benches roughly 28k-34k. If you're so dead set against that, then fine, but it's not an issue unique to mechanist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:21 AM, Swing.6439 said:

I seriously want to know how he hacks to get 31k dps on a golum with rifle turret and auto attack + f2, I cant get that doing just that

• Sad 1