New playeable races

I think the Tengu ship has sailed, however..

What I think is very possible in the future, and what we'll likely see, is variations on the existing races. For example, we could meet a Human race that is more animal-like (ears without gemstore helms, and tails), but are otherwise Human, and just need their voice lines run through a filter for more or less the same effect, since all the existing voice lines use software filters extremely heavily to begin with.

(This would challenge how the Charr see Humans in lore, and create some interesting storylines.)

Similarly, we could see new species of Charr that aren't strictly bovine or cats, which use all the same rigging. We could also see Mordrem Sylvari, who survived the calling and returned to the Pale Tree, or we could see Sylvari that are more dragon-like instead of entirely plant-like, as maybe it was their orginial form. We could also get more primitive Asura, from their underground era, which look more like they did in the original Guild Wars.

None of these require heavy modifications to add a new race. There are many ideas that we could come up with for adding new races which doesn't completely change the race its based on, while still adding lore and flavor.

"Would that be different enough?", I think you'd be surprised how much of a different feel you can give to everything just by changing the cosmetic presentation of a race, and adding a new city and a single new starting map, and a slightly different origin story that still merges with the main one.

In the last MMO I played, there were three different races of Humans but because they all came from very different starting areas, players chose them for completely different reasons.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anonynja.3172 said:

Literally YOUR first post on this thread, lmao. Pick a lane. Is this requested too frequently or does nobody want it?

It is requested frequently.  Use the forums search and you'll see plenty of threads.  I never said that nobody wants it.  I was debating the point that a "huge majority" of the playerbase wants it.  The forums are nowhere representative of a huge majority of the playerbase, so I wanted to see the evidence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It is requested frequently.  Use the forums search and you'll see plenty of threads.  I never said that nobody wants it.  I was debating the point that a "huge majority" of the playerbase wants it.  The forums are nowhere representative of a huge majority of the playerbase, so I wanted to see the evidence.

Huge portion and Huge Majority are not necessarily the same thing. Huge is a subjective term but majority is objective.

• Confused 1

My biggest fear is the combination of saying *insert new race here* is the big draw for one of the mini xpacs and no new elites. I think that'd lose so many veteran players all at once. I'm not necessary against the concept of a new race, I just fear what we would be losing in place of that being worked on. However playing devils advocate slightly, I felt that way when they talked about mounts. And mounts were done in such an awesome and unique way, that if they could figure out how to tackle it with a similar mindset and make some really neat content out of getting and/or using the new race, that could be really revolutionary imo.

20 hours ago, Anonynja.3172 said:

The first responses to this post chastized OP for repeating such a frequent request. Same trend on reddit.

What you're missing is that the latest thread about it was made by OP of THIS thread, which was later merged by mods. And the same person made them. So the relative forum frequency of a thread not only doesn't mean it's a "huge portion of playerbase" (since it's still just a few players), but also you don't exactly know when it's repeated by the same players.

Here's a post pointing out OP remade his own thread:

3 posts above that you can see the post, which was later merged into this one. And it's the same poster who made THIS thread 7 months earlier.

20 hours ago, Anonynja.3172 said:

You are of course free to disagree with prioritizing a new race, but the truth is lots of people want it.

Interesting, from where I'm sitting it looks like we can clearly see the truth is lots of people don't want it. And these are people with reasons for why they disagree with this idea, which you subsequently tried to call "poopooing on the idea to get attention". That's not what it is.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Sirius.4510 said:

I'm saying there might be. But I don't have proof. If the people I saw are signs of a wider trend, then it might be enough to make a material difference to sales figures (which I assume is what "greater than marginal" means). If I just saw a handful of unicorns, then no.

Ok, out of curiosity (and struggle to get more precise response) : where did you see those people? In the previous post you wrote it was on facebook. Where? How did it go? Random post saying they'd start playing gw2 if there was another playable race added to the game? I'm actually curious about the circumstances and the exact wording of those messages.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Nymeria.1653 said:

If anet had the chance to put a new race in an expansion solving the voice and the maps things blabla, I would like it a lot.

And I would not like it since new race give nothing new that you cant do with the already exsisting races.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

I think the Tengu ship has sailed, however..

What I think is very possible in the future, and what we'll likely see, is variations on the existing races. For example, we could meet a Human race that is more animal-like (ears without gemstore helms, and tails), but are otherwise Human, and just need their voice lines run through a filter for more or less the same effect, since all the existing voice lines use software filters extremely heavily to begin with.

(This would challenge how the Charr see Humans in lore, and create some interesting storylines.)

Similarly, we could see new species of Charr that aren't strictly bovine or cats, which use all the same rigging. We could also see Mordrem Sylvari, who survived the calling and returned to the Pale Tree, or we could see Sylvari that are more dragon-like instead of entirely plant-like, as maybe it was their orginial form. We could also get more primitive Asura, from their underground era, which look more like they did in the original Guild Wars.

None of these require heavy modifications to add a new race. There are many ideas that we could come up with for adding new races which doesn't completely change the race its based on, while still adding lore and flavor.

"Would that be different enough?", I think you'd be surprised how much of a different feel you can give to everything just by changing the cosmetic presentation of a race, and adding a new city and a single new starting map, and a slightly different origin story that still merges with the main one.

In the last MMO I played, there were three different races of Humans but because they all came from very different starting areas, players chose them for completely different reasons.

I second this

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

I second this

And I, instead, wonder why this was an important stipulation here: "For example, we could meet a Human race that is more animal-like (ears without gemstore helms, and tails), but are otherwise Human". If new race (or in this case, rather "a slight variation on the existing ones") is such a big value for someone, I think it should be entirely reasonable to buy things like elvish ears from gemstore and treat it as a race modifier? Or is it only a "big value" when it's free?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And I, instead, wonder why this was an important stipulation here: "For example, we could meet a Human race that is more animal-like (ears without gemstore helms, and tails), but are otherwise Human". If new race (or in this case, rather "a slight variation on the existing ones") is such a big value for someone, I think it should be entirely reasonable to buy things like elvish ears from gemstore and treat it as a race modifier? Or is it only a "big value" when it's free?

Its more that so much of the game has become part of the gemstore in the last few years especially, and while almost entirely cosmetic items those same items are responsible for huge differences in the look and feel of the gameplay. A good example is the new skins that add tattoos to all races, while previously they were very much exclusive to Norn, which opens up an entire category of customisation options.

Additionally when something is earned through the game, players consider it to have a better value, even if the overall quality of life is worse than it would be as a gemstore offering.

Everything is "free", by the way. Very few veterans pay for anything in the gemstore with real-life money except for very expensive items and BLTC exclusives. I've known players in the game with anywhere from 100,000 to 3,000,000 gold just sitting around, and if I save my gold I make about 1k/week. (This is the most likely business decision behind switching away from Living World, besides the bunrout..)

The reality is its just a poor way to earn thing this way, and isn't very fun, even if relatively easy.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Its more that so much of the game has become part of the gemstore, and while almost entirely cosmetic items those same items are responsible for huge differences in the look and feel of the gameplay. A good example is the new skins that add tattoos to all races, while previously they were very much exclusive to Norn.

Additionally when something is earned through the game, players consider it to have a better value, even if the overall quality of life is worse than it would be as a gemstore offering.

Yes, that part (about what vanity gemstore items are and how some of them partially fit what you want) was clear to me, but the question was: If new race (or in this case, rather "a slight variation on the existing ones") is such a big value for someone, I think it should be entirely reasonable to buy things like elvish ears from gemstore and treat it as a race modifier? Or is it only a "big value" when it's free?  
If it has such a huge value for some people as they (which is a rather limited number) say in this thread then -for example- getting elvish pointed ears pack for 500 gems from gemstore to basically unlock a variation on race account-wide doesn't seem like a steep price?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yes, that part (about what vanity gemstore items are and how some of them partially fit what you want) was clear to me, but the question was: If new race (or in this case, rather "a slight variation on the existing ones") is such a big value for someone, I think it should be entirely reasonable to buy things like elvish ears from gemstore and treat it as a race modifier? Or is it only a "big value" when it's free?  
If it has such a huge value for some people as they (which is a rather limited number) say in this thread then -for example- getting elvish pointed ears pack for 500 gems from gemstore to basically unlock a variation on race account-wide doesn't seem like a steep price?

Hmmm, we should use this in Strikes !

When people are crying to implant Raids , because they hate the single room , then the old ggs should sell "Strikes Skins" that transform the suroundings for 500 gems and activate if a person have bought it .

Imagine teh Drakar icy walls  in Ankaa , after 1 month of its release !

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Hmmm, we should use this in Strikes !

When people are crying to implant Raids , because they hate the single room , then the old ggs should sell "Strikes Skins" that transform the suroundings for 500 gems and activate if a person have bought it .

Imagine teh Drakar icy walls  in Ankaa , after 1 month of its release !

When you quote my post, try responding to what I actually said instead of derailing into irrelevant "strikes/raids bad!" as usual, noi matter what the thread is about.

When people want "new strikes/raids", they want actual new encounters, not reskins of the old ones like you're suggesting here for some unknown reason. Meanwhile wanting new race is wanting a reskin of your character which doesn't impact the rest of the gameplay itself, including any content you're participating in. That's exactly a big part of the point repeatedly made here against addition of new race, so make sure to read the thread before hopping in, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

When you quote my post, try responding to what I actually said instead of derailing into irrelevant "strikes/raids bad!" as usual, noi matter what the thread is about.

When people want "new strikes/raids", they want actual new encounters, not reskins of the old ones like you're suggesting here for some unknown reason. Meanwhile wanting new race is wanting a reskin of your character which doesn't impact the rest of the gameplay itself, including any content you're participating in. That's exactly a big part of the point repeatedly made here against addition of new race, so make sure to read the thread before hopping in, thanks.

Its the same idea

People should pay with gems for some decorations (ears-Strikes Skins) , rather than having a costly option 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

While I'd like to have Tengu as a playable race, and being this kind of the more probable and the only one that ANet will have a chance to implement, there are way too many cons against too few pros. We are basically talking about a F2P content that requires at leas 2 new maps (the capital, probably located in the dominion of winds, and 1 lvl 1-15 map located around that), probably new animations scripted only for the race (I guess they can use some from Tengu NPCs and copy some from Charr but is still a thing), modeling all the skins around the new body that is different from any other race, paying dubs for the Tengu commander in every language available in game in the whole game, make a new personal story race-specific (for lvl 10, 20 and 30) with other dubbers for all the npcs in that story (while finding a way to insert a mentor in the story that doesn't exist in the actual story, remember, every race now has one Destiny's Edge member as a mentor and this mentor has a role in the story after). Probably is the most expensive and difficoult update that can possibly come up to mind, and there is the problem of "putting hand on the F2P story", that I know is a delicate thing because that script is too old and too "submerged" in everything else, resulting in a really unstable script to touch (reason why ANet doesn't fix all the bugs and problems F2P story has).

I've abandoned my hope to see Tengu as a playable race long ago (still, I do want spears as land weapon, staves doesn't count, they are horrible spears and sound like bamboo sticks even when you use a spear skin on them, but this is OT)

Edited by Val.7826
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Val.7826 said:

While I'd like to have Tengu as a playable race, and being this kind of the more probable and the only one that ANet will have a chance to implement, there are way too many cons against too few pros. We are basically talking about a F2P content that requires at leas 2 new maps (the capital, probably located in the dominion of winds, and 1 lvl 1-15 map located around that), probably new animations scripted only for the race (I guess they can use some from Tengu NPCs and copy some from Charr but is still a thing), modeling all the skins around the new body that is different from any other race, paying dubs for the Tengu commander in every language available in game in the whole game, make a new personal story race-specific (for lvl 10, 20 and 30) with other dubbers for all the npcs in that story (while finding a way to insert a mentor in the story that doesn't exist in the actual story, remember, every race now has one Destiny's Edge member as a mentor and this mentor has a role in the story after). Probably is the most expensive and difficoult update that can possibly come up to mind, and there is the problem of "putting hand on the F2P story", that I know is a delicate thing because that script is too old and too "submerged" in everything else, resulting in a really unstable script to touch (reason why ANet doesn't fix all the bugs and problems F2P story has).

I've abandoned my hope to see Tengu as a playable race long ago (still, I do want spears as land weapon, staves doesn't count, they are horrible spears and sound like bamboo sticks even when you use a spear skin on them, but this is OT)

Nice idea

Any new ideas are welomed

• Confused 2