New playeable races

Maybe I'm one of a thousand, but I would totally buy a game just for the unique races. For example: World of Warcraft was never a thing for me. Never even considered to play it. Until I saw the Vulpera and the Dracthyr races. Now it's the first time in my life checking some World of Warcraft websites out and maybe even checking the game out someday this year. If ArenaNet would charge me 20 bucks for a Tengu race: It would be a insta buy for me. But like I said: Maybe I'm one of a thousand. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Silvari, Charr and Asura aren't unique enough?

Ten years with 28 characters (Asura, Charr and Sylvari) are enough. Time to look for new hunting grounds.

I hoped to get more lore-related (Tengu) content with EoD, especially after the "Winds of Change", which players could experience in original Guild Wars and also the Tengu Wars (also in original Guild Wars). The way we, the players, could experience this content is – of course – better and more engaging than using /kneel and /salute multiple times in a Tengu village. I'd like to imagine an opening cutscene just like for any of the other races with deep lore about the Tengu, their culture and history. It would be uplifting – literally.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

well the tengu seem tangible enuf and given their yet to come out come out where ever that is region they linger in to this day, yes?

while other mentioned tribes like the ratfaces are on my mind too, going deeper into them would seem more of a hilariousity per their, hmm, not so organized existence compared to now meddlable races. alsokelso as i loom around these tengus it caught mi puny eye that obv tis most fabled wish among all, and even have been originally a planned race to meddle with, and they do not have tonics, this i found out too, ooh...

endless point being a leftover of my derail, that being like what are the likely new mounts they ride on? because obviously that day we are given access to their lands with or without playing as them, new mounts like large snakes or other otters whatnots alike i would find logical and hopes up the devs have same ideals and not just long lost variants of the previous breeds

tst

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

Ten years with 28 characters (Asura, Charr and Sylvari) are enough. Time to look for new hunting grounds.

But would that matter to a new player who hasn't played GW2 in those ten years?  The poster mentioned unique races as being a draw for new players.   With the three unique races that already exist, why would a new player choose not to play just because tengu don't exist as a playable race?  That's the point I was making. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

But would that matter to a new player who hasn't played GW2 in those ten years?  The poster mentioned unique races as being a draw for new players.   With the three unique races that already exist, why would a new player choose not to play just because tengu don't exist as a playable race?  That's the point I was making. 

I can only speak for myself and on my perspective. Like I already mentioned: I never ever considered to play World of Warcraft until I saw these two races. These alone are selling points for me. Simply to dive into their skin and lore. 

I'm probably in the huge minority. But that's how it is for me. And the opposite goes probably for other people: Most of them will not make a "buy or not buy" decision purely on the races. But there are a few which gonna take a deep look into all things: like mounts, classes, races and more.

Having options is always a good thing. If it's manageable of course. I can understand when ArenaNet prioritizes new content, because it's the thing they are doing for ten years and it simply works. Attempting something new comes with a risk, and the risk might not pay off. What we have to take to account though is that no one can actually tell, if a new race would be a potential loss or gain for the game. It's always a gamble, like the features every expansion brings. Gliders? Improvement. Mounts? Improvement? Fishing? Not so great in comparison. All my personal opinions, of course.

If or if not a new race would pay off, stays unanswered. Until ArenaNet tries. All I can say is to repeat myself: Having options is always a good thing. You can choose the make use of the options or you can leave it. And the more options you have, the more people can enjoy the game, which keeps the game and the community growing. Which is a good thing. Only thing that might backfire is, when a option doesn't really pay off in the long run. Then these ressources could have spend otherwise better. But that's how it is: Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. But you learn from the experience and can things better next time (looking at you, fishing).

Edited by Maria Murtor.7253
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

I can only speak for myself and on my perspective. Like I already mentioned: I never ever considered to play World of Warcraft until I saw these two races. These alone are selling points for me. Simply to dive into their skin and lore. 

I'm probably in the huge minority. But that's how it is for me. And the opposite goes probably for other people: Most of them will not make a "buy or not buy" decision purely on the races. But there are a few which gonna take a deep look into all things: like mounts, classes, races and more.

Having options is always a good thing. If it's manageable of course. I can understand when ArenaNet prioritizes new content, because it's the thing they are doing for ten years and it simply works. Attempting something new comes with a risk, and the risk might not pay off. What we have to take to account though is that no one can actually tell, if a new race would be a potential loss or gain for the game. It's always a gamble, like the features every expansion brings. Gliders? Improvement. Mounts? Improvement? Fishing? Not so great in comparison. All my personal opinions, of course.

If or if not a new race would pay off, stays unanswered. Until ArenaNet tries. All I can say is to repeat myself: Having options is always a good thing. You can choose the make use of the options or you can leave it. And the more options you have, the more people can enjoy the game, which keeps the game and the community growing. Which is a good thing. Only thing that might backfire is, when a option doesn't really pay off in the long run. Then these ressources could have spend otherwise better. But that's how it is: Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. But you learn from the experience and can things better next time (looking at you, fishing).

But you already paid and played this game have you not?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

But you already paid and played this game have you not?

Which one? Guild Wars 2 or World of Warcraft? Guild Wars 2 -> yes. World of Warcraft -> no. If, let's say. Guild Wars 2 charges me money for a Kodan race (just for this feature alone), I wouldn't buy this DLC. Because I'm not interested in this race. Depending on if more things come with this DLC, I would give it a shot. If it's a DLC with something I'm interested in (like Largos or Tengu), I would buy it for sure, despite if it's 20 bucks just to play the race. Because that's how I personally want to craft my own experience. How other players would treat this offer, remains unanswered. All I know is that players spend their money on stuff they want – if it's account bags, new template slots or a noodles chair. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

Which one? Guild Wars 2 or World of Warcraft? Guild Wars 2 -> yes. World of Warcraft -> no. If, let's say. Guild Wars 2 charges me money for a Kodan race (just for this feature alone), I wouldn't buy this DLC. Because I'm not interested in this race. Depending on if more things come with this DLC, I would give it a shot. If it's a DLC with something I'm interested in (like Largos or Tengu), I would buy it for sure, despite if it's 20 bucks just to play the race. Because that's how I personally want to craft my own experience. How other players would treat this offer, remains unanswered. All I know is that players spend their money on stuff they want – if it's account bags, new template slots or a noodles chair. 

Think new race would cost considerably more then 20 bucks since they cant monetice them like jade bot, skiff, mounts gliding etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Started playing World of Warcraft to check out their races. Unlocking some requires actual work: Go through campaigns, level up your character and do a quest chain to recruit them. Took me 31 hours of playtime to unlock the Vulpera. And if you don't like to make your own Vulpera, then you don't have to. But you had 31 hours of exploration, new gear and story.

Adding content and combining it with unique rewards is a good thing. Guild Wars 2 already does it in terms of achievements, weapon/armor collections and such, could do more though. I would like to learn/explore more of the other races lore. We had a brief moment in the personal story in which we can study races like the Quaggan or the Hylek. There are still some races we could explore more, especially Lagos. It is nice to learn about cultures (like Cantha). But I'm a bit tired of Human culture. That's why Heart of Thorns was a nice change of pace.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1