Where are the NA servers located now?

Ping wont change on any internet type because you are in the same physical area.. Ping is your house to the servers and back again..

Me being in Australia my Ping is at best 250 milliseconds to and from the server.. nothing will ever change that unless servers move or i move.. my real GW2 ping is more like 260ms-280ms.. daily..

Even a change of faster server nodes wont change it..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4

Your line only goes up to wherever they change it, then both are likely going to use fiber anyways. The latency difference between the two should be negligible in favor of fiber. Did you ping just before the switch? Most likely scenario is you're being routed through a different network that is slower. If you didn't change ISPs, it may be temporary, whereas if you did, they may have a worse network. Ping the entire route to see where the difference could be (tracert ec2.us-east-1.amazonaws.com).

The servers are hosted by Amazon - NA is Northern Virginia, EU is Frankfurt. Prior to 2017 (PoF) they were at NCSoft - NA was Dallas Texas, EU was Frankfurt.

Edited by Healix.5819
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

It sounds to me like the new fiber is being rerouted a different way than the old DSL was but in worse areas so hence the higher ping.. op you need to do some testing and ring your new ISP.

Or more traffic on the fiber route than was on the DSL

On 7/22/2022 at 4:04 AM, Artemis.8034 said:

So im wondering where are they located?

You can retrieve the IP address of each instance your character is playing in via the "/ip" command.

For me, when connecting my US accounts from Europe, the US servers usually resolve to the AWS datacenter in Ashburn, Virginia.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:45 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The EU in Frankfort. 

Well, I guess it's just a typo, but in case it's not, the EU servers are actually located in an AWS datacenter in Frankfurt am Main, Germany and not in Kentucky. :classic_biggrin: 

Btw,  for many folks in Germany or eastern Europe "Frankfurt" could also refer to Frankfurt an der Oder, another German city located at the Polish border.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Dante.1508 said:

Ping wont change on any internet type because you are in the same physical area.. Ping is your house to the servers and back again..

Me being in Australia my Ping is at best 250 milliseconds to and from the server.. nothing will ever change that unless servers move or i move.. my real GW2 ping is more like 260ms-280ms.. daily..

Dude, we need servers for other countries. Idk why after 10 years its still NA and EU only.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, XenMaster.7165 said:

Dude, we need servers for other countries. Idk why after 10 years its still NA and EU only.

Aside from the setup cost, that would divide population further, which might mean there's a shortage of other people to play with on the new servers. Not a major problem for small instanced content, but for things like Dragon's End and WvW it could be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, XenMaster.7165 said:

Doesn't help the guy  quoted above is in Australia, I think I'm technically located further away from him and my ping is better. Australia might have the worst internet in the first world.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, Via Negativa.1059 said:

I think for the US it's in Texas, could be wrong though but it's definitely not in the west coast like it should be, I would say this is one of the major reasons why this game is not very popular outside the US where connecting to Europe is worse.

I take it you didn't want to take time to actually read any of the previous comments, a number of which confirm that the NA server is located in Virginia and the EU server is located in Frankfurt (Germany). The NA server used to be in Dallas, Texas but that changed about 5 years ago. Also, why should the server be on West Coast? Is there some law or something stating such? 🙄

Never hurts to get a better understanding of how such things work, there's a pretty decent explanation of Worlds/Servers over on GW2 Wiki. 😉

Edited by Grizzly UK.1209
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Via Negativa.1059 said:

Doesn't help the guy  quoted above is in Australia, I think I'm technically located further away from him and my ping is better. Australia might have the worst internet in the first world.

Do australia have internet fibre? Or literally using dsl the most unstable internet cable there is?

10 hours ago, Grizzly UK.1209 said:

I take it you didn't want to take time to actually read any of the previous comments, a number of which confirm that the NA server is located in Virginia and the EU server is located in Frankfurt (Germany). The NA server used to be in Dallas, Texas but that changed about 5 years ago. Also, why should the server be on West Coast? Is there some law or something stating such? 🙄

Never hurts to get a better understanding of how such things work, there's a pretty decent explanation of Worlds/Servers over on GW2 Wiki. 😉

Not to mention, the Devs stated (on the forums) they placed the NA servers where the most population was.  Easily found if one wishes to do the research. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, Dante.1508 said:

I feel ya mate. Here in Indonesia, the very same ping to US server. Not sure if going EU will fix that but it's basically the only reason I stopped playing. back in 2016 it was not a big issue. Here i am, back in action after finishing my study and the ping goes horribly wrong.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, XenMaster.7165 said:

Because they already didn't like the necessity of having to split the populace in two then, so they are even less likely to entertain an idea of splitting it even further.

Remember, that splitting NA or EU into smaller zones would make it so many players that are currently able to play together would not be able to do so after said split. For example, i sincerely doubt Australian players would like being restricted to playing with other Australians only. Neither many US players would like if east and west coast players would not be able to play together.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 9:50 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because they already didn't like the necessity of having to split the populace in two then, so they are even less likely to entertain an idea of splitting it even further.

Remember, that splitting NA or EU into smaller zones would make it so many players that are currently able to play together would not be able to do so after said split. For example, i sincerely doubt Australian players would like being restricted to playing with other Australians only. Neither many US players would like if east and west coast players would not be able to play together.

I suppose this is the best reason. So this is what it feels like living in a rural areas lacking city dweller's economies of scale.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:00 AM, XenMaster.7165 said:

Do australia have internet fibre? Or literally using dsl the most unstable internet cable there is?

Surely they have fiber connections. What else are they supposed to do, tape a physical network packet on a huntsman and let it run to the server?

• Haha 1