Why does fresh 80 get dailies for continents it has not been to

Casual player's 1st world problem:
I like to play story in order, and like to explore the world before moving on in the story . . . so I - fresh 80 - did not even finish personal story line let alone some LW / HoT content. So why do I get dailies to complete events or see vistas in Crystal Desert? (PoF)

Sure I bought the expansion, but only because I did not see an option to buy just the base game. And the game was _really annoying_ in restrictions to free accounts (I couldn't send anything to friends, wtf?), and I don't mind the money or supporting the game. But now it feels like I can't do dailies anymore, unless I travel accross the entire world.

I will end up doing WvW dailies instead (or figure out how do I get to Crystal Desert, can't see any related asura gate in LA), so I will get over it, but my even more casual friends will probably just stop doing dailies on 80. They don't want to pvp or figure out what the crystal desert even is. One friend did not buy full game yet, seems like she was the smartest one . . . we will see what sort of dailies will she get, she's just level 65 or something.

And I get it, it's stupid little thing, but it is just annoying to get (kind of) punished for buying expansion, at least as a slow casual player.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Probably just to drive expansion sales or let people know if they buy.

Gw2 has a buy and own for life model. One of the very few for a mmorpg. (Most are either failed 15$ month + 30$-60$ expacs that went p2w f2p cashshops. ), So they probably need to drive sales somehow.

Imo it's actually kinda a shame that i think a big part of what sets gw2 apart from other mmorpgs is that a lot of mmorpgs don't change weapon skills on equipped ones past Osrs's one special attack. (A big deal at the time was spec weapons like dclaws and whips both having different uses). But they make like.. the core specs like 2-3x weaker to drive sales steathily. 

Honestly i don't even blame them for wanting to make money, most overly generous f2p games just starve to death and don't get funding and gw2 is legitimately one of the games with a buy for life model.

3 months of Wow + Expac is a 45$ + 60$ =105$ purchase, with often 1 year content droughts. 

50-100$ on Gw2 is a expansion collection with most or all living worlds. Yet buying stuff on sale since it was cheap and then having it go on sale and missing a refund by 1 day was a pretty poor experience 🤣 haha. So yeah that's why i've been working on completing the story while i wait for the anniversary sale and i make progress and i tell myself.. It's just a couple weeks away, but man is the story so disjointed if you do it out of order. I get like +25% more xp from arborstone and like +100-300% travel speed from mounts.

But half of the story when experienced out of line is going to places to kill people you don't know, to meet up with people you don't know. And then this jarring time traveling experience where you know of Ls4 Braham as a charging bro Leeroy Jenkins while Ls3 Braham comes off as a complete jackwad for the death of a person they blame you for that you know you haven't met yet but were supposed to lmao. XD.

It's a very unique story. Yeah. if you want coherence, do gw2 in order. If you want +25% Arborstone xp and mounts with a bank and tp zone, Enjoy the super fun mounts but a story that needs a lore recap video to make sense lmao. Gotta pick tradeoffs haha.

But i wouldn't say you're punished for buying a expansions or playing in order for the story. It'll be very rewarding when the time comes. As far as dailies go. The 2g a day is mostly a nice starter thing but not a daily list. I ignore them often. You can theoretically make 50g a hour or use arborstone to get like 35g each week off a literal currency exchange vendor at lvl 5 and there are some items you can make that are 1g a day for a login.

But.. The paradox is the more people that know about them, the less value they'd have. You can park alts at the Canthian Jumping puzzle for instance for a stone that dropped 1g to 0.6g as people learned about it. So there are some pretty nice low effort ways to make money without working hard that can easily compete with the dailies. (35g a week for doing nothing > 2g a day for hopping around). But if you share them profits go down. 😕. But you should be able to find them if you dig around a bit!  Good luck, have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

You get dailies depending on the content you own. A underdeveloped account is not included in this calculation. You can't do "Cursed Shore event completer" either when you are only lvl 60, yet it gets suggested to you. What you can do from the beginning is pvp-dailies though. 3 of those also counts towards the 2-gold-endgoal.

That being said, a little finetuning of the pve-dailies for newer accounts would be nice. Reduces frustration and confusion.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

Probably just to drive expansion sales or let people know if they buy.

Gw2 has a buy and own for life model. One of the very few for a mmorpg. (Most are either failed 15$ month + 30$-60$ expacs that went p2w f2p cashshops. ), So they probably need to drive sales somehow.

Imo it's actually kinda a shame that i think a big part of what sets gw2 apart from other mmorpgs is that a lot of mmorpgs don't change weapon skills on equipped ones past Osrs's one special attack. (A big deal at the time was spec weapons like dclaws and whips both having different uses). But they make like.. the core specs like 2-3x weaker to drive sales steathily. 

Honestly i don't even blame them for wanting to make money, most overly generous f2p games just starve to death and don't get funding and gw2 is legitimately one of the games with a buy for life model.

3 months of Wow + Expac is a 45$ + 60$ =105$ purchase, with often 1 year content droughts. 

50-100$ on Gw2 is a expansion collection with most or all living worlds. Yet buying stuff on sale since it was cheap and then having it go on sale and missing a refund by 1 day was a pretty poor experience 🤣 haha. So yeah that's why i've been working on completing the story while i wait for the anniversary sale and i make progress and i tell myself.. It's just a couple weeks away, but man is the story so disjointed if you do it out of order. I get like +25% more xp from arborstone and like +100-300% travel speed from mounts.

But half of the story when experienced out of line is going to places to kill people you don't know, to meet up with people you don't know. And then this jarring time traveling experience where you know of Ls4 Braham as a charging bro Leeroy Jenkins while Ls3 Braham comes off as a complete jackwad for the death of a person they blame you for that you know you haven't met yet but were supposed to lmao. XD.

It's a very unique story. Yeah. if you want coherence, do gw2 in order. If you want +25% Arborstone xp and mounts with a bank and tp zone, Enjoy the super fun mounts but a story that needs a lore recap video to make sense lmao. Gotta pick tradeoffs haha.

But i wouldn't say you're punished for buying a expansions or playing in order for the story. It'll be very rewarding when the time comes. As far as dailies go. The 2g a day is mostly a nice starter thing but not a daily list. I ignore them often. You can theoretically make 50g a hour or use arborstone to get like 35g each week off a literal currency exchange vendor at lvl 5 and there are some items you can make that are 1g a day for a login.

But.. The paradox is the more people that know about them, the less value they'd have. You can park alts at the Canthian Jumping puzzle for instance for a stone that dropped 1g to 0.6g as people learned about it. So there are some pretty nice low effort ways to make money without working hard that can easily compete with the dailies. (35g a week for doing nothing > 2g a day for hopping around). But if you share them profits go down. 😕. But you should be able to find them if you dig around a bit!  Good luck, have fun! 

Your wrong if you dont own hot, pof or eod you dont get those dailies so it is not to sell expansions at all.

As the poster above me said it all depends on the highest level character on your account and what expansions you own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh fair enough. It's been long enough but yeah. Dailies can be nice easy starter gold, but i'm not 100% certain if they're that much to sweat over in the end. As mentioned, after a certain point you can get 35 g a week for just buying certain items from a vendor used for legendary crafting via currency exchanges that you can stumble into at a max level arborstone.

There are also many dailies that make 1g a day in a few seconds of effort, (such as the jade chest in EoD New Khaheng or something that always has 4 people advertising a tp to friend service). etc. 

Sure, after like, 250G for a griffon / 1000 Gems + 100-200G Skyscale and maybe 10g-300g for zerker or exotic viper/ascended viper armor. (Still trying to figure out if any Expac maps has a laurel vendor with vipers after finding my zerker alt gearing 20x quicker than my viper main), you don't really need too much gold after a basic set of gear, and maybe a griffon. Unless you're gunning for full legendaries. 

• Confused 4

I think it's just that the daily achievement system is not that complex or tailored to individual players. It won't give you ones in level 80 maps until you have a level 80 character and won't give you ones for expansions you don't own, but other than that everyone always gets the same ones.

In spite of the name I don't think Anet expects players to always do the dailies every day and there's no problem with skipping a day if you can't find 3 you want to do. You'll miss out on the 2g reward of course, but then you can use the time to do something else instead which will probably give you gold, materials or something else useful. The achievement points are capped at 15,000 and while it will take a long time (1,500 days to be precise) to reach that it does mean eventually you'll reach the maximum AP you can get from them even if you're not doing them every single day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

Oh fair enough. It's been long enough but yeah. Dailies can be nice easy starter gold, but i'm not 100% certain if they're that much to sweat over in the end. As mentioned, after a certain point you can get 35 g a week for just buying certain items from a vendor used for legendary crafting via currency exchanges that you can stumble into at a max level arborstone.

There are also many dailies that make 1g a day in a few seconds of effort, (such as the jade chest in EoD New Khaheng or something that always has 4 people advertising a tp to friend service). etc. 

Sure, after like, 250G for a griffon / 1000 Gems + 100-200G Skyscale and maybe 10g-300g for zerker or exotic viper/ascended viper armor. (Still trying to figure out if any Expac maps has a laurel vendor with vipers after finding my zerker alt gearing 20x quicker than my viper main), you don't really need too much gold after a basic set of gear, and maybe a griffon. Unless you're gunning for full legendaries. 

I don't think the OP has End of Dragons, and it has its own set of Dailies, anyway.  No EoD content in the regular (2G) Dailies. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tev.8345 said:

And I get it, it's stupid little thing, but it is just annoying to get (kind of) punished for buying expansion, at least as a slow casual player.

You perfectly summarized my feelings on this issue. I started playing a little over 3 years ago (I bought both expansions). At first, I completely ignored dailies. But when I started completing them regularly I found it annoying that the game nudged me into an expansion zone. I was particularly annoyed when the "event" dailies where in an expansion zone because those where my favorite (completing open world events with random players was a lot of fun for me as a new player). It wasn't a huge deal. I either did another daily or I ignored the daily that day.

It would be nice if the expansion dailies would only appear if you have completed expansion content or visited the expansion previously.

Edited by dizzy.9263
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

That being said, a little finetuning of the pve-dailies for newer accounts would be nice. Reduces frustration and confusion.

Exactly, it's just frustrating and confusing.

The park-char-at-chest thing is new to me, thanks for the tip. I guess I have another thing to research 😄

And map chat was - as always - very helpful, apparently I should not go to PoF zones if I want to avoid spoilers. WvW dailies are apparently easy to do even as a newbie in edge of mists, so I will count with that more. And nudge friends to catch up on story asap - though it is unfortunate that you can't do that as a group.

EDIT: and thanks for all the tips and responses! Community in GW2 seems great so far 🙂

Edited by Tev.8345
  • Like 4

I make a point of doing the Dailies for the 10 achievement points.  The 2g is nice but not the main focus.

Although daily APs are capped at 15K, it'll still take a long time to reach it. The total APs, currently capped at 60k, provides lots of permanent bonuses: Magic Find+, Karma+, Coins from kills+ & XP+ (not to mentioned the laurels, gold, gems and chests). Combinations of these rewards are given at every +500 AP

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Tev.8345 said:

Casual player's 1st world problem:
I like to play story in order, and like to explore the world before moving on in the story . . . so I - fresh 80 - did not even finish personal story line let alone some LW / HoT content. So why do I get dailies to complete events or see vistas in Crystal Desert? (PoF)

Sure I bought the expansion, but only because I did not see an option to buy just the base game. And the game was _really annoying_ in restrictions to free accounts (I couldn't send anything to friends, wtf?), and I don't mind the money or supporting the game. But now it feels like I can't do dailies anymore, unless I travel accross the entire world.

I will end up doing WvW dailies instead (or figure out how do I get to Crystal Desert, can't see any related asura gate in LA), so I will get over it, but my even more casual friends will probably just stop doing dailies on 80. They don't want to pvp or figure out what the crystal desert even is. One friend did not buy full game yet, seems like she was the smartest one . . . we will see what sort of dailies will she get, she's just level 65 or something.

I hope atleast devs change when you reach crystal oasis only then the daily quests FOR CRYSTAL OASIS ONLY unlocks for you. Not the whole vabbi/desolation/highlands.

Edited by XenMaster.7165
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, XenMaster.7165 said:

I hope atleast devs change when you reach crystal oasis only then the daily quests FOR CRYSTAL OASIS ONLY unlocks for you. Not the whole vabbi/desolation/highlands.

Honestly, from a technical point of view that's way too complicated for a very small gain. It would mean checking a lot of data (and probably storing additional flags in the database, too, since it's way too expensive to go through all of the raw data at each login) for each and every account each and every day when the vast majority of these accounts is elligible for everything anyway.

On top of the technical overhead, it would also become more obscure for the players to understand which dailies they have available. Would a player realize and remember that just because they accidentally stepped outside of their Windswept Haven guildhall once, that they're now elligible for dailies in Vabbi? All of those that let themselves be carried through the first PoF chapter to get the raptor now get Crystal Oasis and generic desert dailies in their rotation?

There already are plenty of people confused by the current restrictions (max level character on account, expansions unlocked) and why they have different dailies available than their friends. Complicating the selection of available dailies would only make this problem worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 years of gw2 and i only finished the dailies 162 times. (Most people have finished the max 1500 times by now). And its not like i dont play daily. Its just a thing i kinda dislike to do. (And im lazy,)

I hope things like daily dragonstorm, daily fractal, daily raid or daily world boss would be a thing that count towards daily. And thus increasing your Daily AP with content people play, instead of have to do. 

• Confused 2

• 2 months later...

Necro I know, but why? Why would they do this?

I've just purchased the expansions and am totally regretting it - the game is essentially punishing me for paying to buy the expansions!

I'm playing with friends who are moving through GW2 rather slower than me so I'm level 80 but not progressing the story until they are ready for it, so I do the dailies occasionally. I haven't finished the base game let alone started Living World Season 1.

But now that I've purchased the expansions I'm stuffed. The PvE dailies suddenly say mine the deserts in maps I've never heard of or view a Heart of Maguuma Vista in more maps I've never heard of. For clarity, I have no interest in rushing ahead and exploring these maps either, I want to do it in our group.

So basically I'm trapped for months now with no longer being able to do the dailies until my friends catch up and we get through the expansions? What sort of crazy system is this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

Why they do this has already been covered in the thread.

You won't get HoT, PoF and EoD dailies every day, there will be many days where you can complete 3 of them in the maps you've already been to. There's also always PvP and WvW options, which are part of the base game.

It may be controversial but I think not doing the dailies every day you're online is a good habit to get into. They're a nice bonus and can be fun but it's too easy to slip into a habit of feeling like you have to do daily achievements and other reoccurring tasks every time you can and then end up not doing much else. It's better to think about what you actually want to do each day, including whether you want to do the dailies.

• Like 5

I know there are some comments in this thread speculating that it might be hard for the programmers to tell whether HoT and PoF dailies are appropriate, but I don't buy that. GW2 already has a system tracking map progression for everyone zone, it would be easy to check whether map progression on the HoT and PoF zones is 0%.

I'll see what the next dailies are, but yesterday 2/4 were in HoT and PoF maps. I bought the Ultimate Collection which includes EoD too and I was already avoiding the Maguuma Wastes dailies (those zones are one of the Living Seasons I think?) so I fear that there will frequently be 2/4 which I can't do.

I have a Raptor BUT I never visited PoF at all, it was given out as a trial to all players a few weeks ago? The Raptor disappeared when that trial ended but when I purchased the ultimate collection yesterday the Raptor appeared again. So maybe the game has some logic of "I have a mount so I'm playing PoF" but in that case it's a bug as I've never visited any of the expansion maps (or indeed any map outside of the core area).

ArenaNet support have offered to refund so I might just take that. I wanted to give them some money but not at the cost of reducing my enjoyment of the game. If I take the refund then I'll buy the first expansions only when we reach them.

It's all rather silly tho - seems like a clear bug to me that the Dailies include areas so far ahead of your story progression!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It may be controversial but I think not doing the dailies every day you're online is a good habit to get into. They're a nice bonus and can be fun but it's too easy to slip into a habit of feeling like you have to do daily achievements and other reoccurring tasks every time you can and then end up not doing much else. It's better to think about what you actually want to do each day, including whether you want to do the dailies.

I get what you are saying here, but at the same time it is nice to be able to when I want to (and I don't actually do them every day, far from it).

For example, if my daughter and I decide to play (without the rest of the group) we have recently done the dailies and she really enjoys that. Her character is level 67 or so which means occasionally I have a level 80 daily which she doesn't but we can almost always find 3 we can do together.

Now that I've bought the expansions (assuming I don't take the refund) it seems likely that on any random day we decide to play we won't have 3 dailies which we share.

It's just silly - there's no upside to this bug.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've just purchased the expansions (ultimate collection) and encountered a bug which significantly reduces my ability to play and enjoy the game.

I'm playing with family members who are moving through GW2 rather slower than me so my main character is level 80 but I am not progressing the story until they are ready. When I want to play alone or with just a small part of the group (usually my daughter) we will often do the PvE dailies - they provide a nice goal and we can often explore a new area as part of at least one of them.

But now that I've purchased the expansions the PvE dailies are abruptly including maps from the expansions! These maps which are way ahead of where our characters are in the story, I haven't finished the base game (Zhaitan) let alone started Living World Season 1. I have no interest in rushing ahead of my family into these maps.

This seems a clear bug - the PvE dailies shouldn't include maps just because I own the expansions, it needs to look at where I am in the story, or alternatively whether I have visited the maps (I haven't visited any). GW2 essentially got less fun for me because I purchased the expansions - this is not a good thing!

In my case I raised a ticket and Arena Net support have offered to refund the ultimate collection. I will probably take this offer which I presume will solve my problem. Obviously from your point of view tho I think you should fix this bug so that people aren't forced to delay purchasing the expansions if they want to enjoy the game properly.

• Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I'll see what the next dailies are, but yesterday 2/4 were in HoT and PoF maps. I bought the Ultimate Collection which includes EoD too and I was already avoiding the Maguuma Wastes dailies (those zones are one of the Living Seasons I think?) so I fear that there will frequently be 2/4 which I can't do.

So, today only 1/4 is in the expansions or Maguuma Wastes (HoT lumberer) which would work.

I can't really wait a few weeks to build up a record of percent of the time it's 1/4 or less. So I think I'll just take the refund. Arena Net should fix this tho, it's not in their interest to make the game less fun when you buy the expansions!

• Confused 1